The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

+25
MacKnocked-on
ChequeredJersey
Bathman_in_London
peachbomb
vicenzolaquilarugby
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
Mickado
21st Century Schizoid Man
Jenifer McLadyboy
kiakahaaotearoa
Morgannwg
GunsGerms
propdavid_london
Jimpy
Hound_of_Harrow
SecretFly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
George Carlin
thebluesmancometh
Artful_Dodger
IanBru
maestegmafia
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities - Page 2 Empty Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

I thought it would be a grand opportunity for posters to recommend great places to visit at the various venues of the Great Competition.

Restaurants, Pubs, food stalls night clubs, even sights to see and places to visit. Comprising our own little 606V2 Six Nations Guide to the cities.

This weekend the venues are London, Dublin and Edinburgh. Any good ideas you have please post below.

There's been some great tips so far.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities - Page 2 Empty Re: Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by RuggerBoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 3:07 pm

The Harvester St John's in Church Street Cardiff, it's only a couple of hundred yards away from the Millennium stadium. It's not that I recommend it exactly, it's just that my son is a chef there while he's studying at Cardiff Uni and I just love hearing him moan about how busy it gets on match days.

Mind you, having said that, he is a bloody good cook.

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities - Page 2 Empty Re: Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 04 Mar 2013, 7:51 pm

He's a great cook but still you're hesitant about giving the pub a recommendation. Is this inside knowledge? First hand accounts of giant cockroaches and foul deeds done by kitchen hands who complain in vain about the minimum wage and long, gruelling hours?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

Nothing like that Kia, it's just that I've only been there the once, on a non-match day. It was alright but not what I'd call a Rugby pub although from what my lad tells me, that doesn't stop it packing out before and after the game.

And as for my lad doing anything untoward in the kitchen because of long hours and low wages - never, he's a little angel - he must be because for one thing he's my son and also he plays at blindside flanker to boot - and they're always honest!

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

Just like our Richie! angel

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

Laugh

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:06 am

Where is best for a traditional Haggis in Edinburgh???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:42 am

Anyone planning journeys this weekend?

We are just about to cruise up to Edinburgh.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

I like the Goat Major in Cardiff - bit small but good selection of Ales and nice atmosphere in there.

Was in a great pub in Dublin for the Wales game but forget it's name... they let us bring in take away away Pizza Hut thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 08 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Where is best for a traditional Haggis in Edinburgh???

ermm .. probably go to Waverley Station and go to Glasgow Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Richmond is the place to go before a game at Twickenham. Lots of pubs and restaurants.

If you want a busy pub and don't mind plastic glasses and a long wait to get served then The Sun or The Orange Tree are for you.

A proper boozer, where you will get your tipple served in a glass is The Triple Crown. It is tucked away adjacent to The Athletic Ground, the home of Richmond and London Scottish.

If either of them, and/or London Welsh are at home, the pub will have a fair number of fans in attendance. Food is limited, if served at all.

The Princes Head on Richmond Green is also a good spot, and the food is pretty good.

In Cardiff, I have always liked The Cayo Arms on Cathedral Road. It serves a good selection of the fine beers being brewed in Wales these days.

Never been to Edinburgh.

Although as a stadium Twickers is one of my least favourites, closely followed by Murryfield, I absolutley love Richmond on international day and as hound as said, the Orange tree is a very good crack, my favourite trip though is Scotland, probably because it always seems like home as there are always millions of us Welshies up there, I remember when the Jocks were the first to have the no-smoking ban in pubs and when we went up there we thought that all the people outside were people queing to get in Doh When we finally bit the bullet and just went into a pub it was empty inside, oh how we all laughed at ourselves Laugh , also paying those little bike riding taxi things a little extra to have a race against each other with against one of your mates is always fun.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

Also in Cardiff I like to go to the Albert on Mary street, not many people go there and there is a decent pint there too.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:53 pm

In Edinburgh, go for lunch at Henderson's - it was Europe's first vegetarian restaurant, and the food is fantastic.

I swear, the chocolate mouse is stronger than a week's worth of Glasgow-standard smack.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

They have vegetables in Scotland now? I hope they're deep-fried!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:59 pm

Not quite Cyril, we just water them with grease...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:They have vegetables in Scotland now? I hope they're deep-fried!

They have had chips for years up there.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2