The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive...

+7
Kingshu
tomhughesnice
fa0019
screamingaddabs
LeinsterFan4life
maestegmafia
sirBiggles
11 posters

Go down

Where do you think Italy will finish ...

Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap5%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap0%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap9%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap14%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap55%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 55% 
[ 12 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap0%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_lcap17%Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 22

Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Empty Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive...

Post by sirBiggles Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

Of course we forget, as most of us wasn't alive (even the old f@rts like me), but France joined the then to be 5 Nations in 1910, but took decades to be competitive, taking their first Tournament title in (shared back then) in 1954 and their first outright in 1959. OK, there where a few world "conflicts" during this period, which may have slowed them down a bit, but the baseline has to be it took them 40 odd years, before they won the tournament.

In reflection, Italy joined the 6 Nations in 2000 and have had their success, as we Welsh and Scottish know. But now they have 2 French scalps, and I can see them taking Scotland away and off that good run also taking another Welsh Scalp in Rome this year. The Irish would have to be concerned, as they play them last in Rome, but lets not forget the Irish could by then be on for another Grand Slam themselves. But I digress, from the point of my thread.

Does anyone, like me, think this could be the year when Italy finish a terrific 3rd in the table. If they beat Scotland and Wales (which is realistic and must be their target). If France slip up to England and Ireland (possible being both away matches for them) and Italy get wins against Scotland and Wales, that would mean they finish above France, Wales and Scotland. This has to be their target, and could see a real turning point for the Azzurri... Although, as a Welshman, it hurts seeing my beloved Wales slip from Grand Slam champions to possible Wooden Spoon, I would love to see Italy finish as high as third, as I think it would be the catalyst needed to take Italian rugby to the next level.

And in Italy, when a national team is winning, they embrace that sport in full... no half measures there...

Well Done Italy...

The 6 Nations... don't you really love it, even when it hurts... Sad .. clap

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Empty Re: Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive...

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:23 am

Italy were superb in the Autumn against Austrlia, they deserved the win that game. I am not at all surprised by yesterdays performance.

Treviso have been great all season they are regularly upsetting results in the RP12 and HEC. Italy will get a few scalps this Six Nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive... Empty Re: Well done Italy... No longer the whipping boys now competitive...

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:25 am

Ye Treviso have been a real force at home. Not a lot was said about their win against the Ospreys in the HC, A few weeks ago. They made a great comeback in that game.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:25 am

Don't get too carried away. I would love to see Italy finish 3rd or even 2nd! (England first please) but beating Scotland at Murrayfield and then beating Wales, whilst far from impossible is probably under a 50% chance.

France were really bad in the 2nd half, especially towards the end of the game where they just tried to power through with no width. I'm not saying Italy won because France were bad, Italy won because they were good, but they will need to perform equally well to beat Scotland and Wales and I'm not sure they have that performance in them on 3 occasions.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

If they play like the did yesterday against everyone else I can see them having a chance vs. everyone bar England.

England are pragmatic and will keep the score board ticking. As well as being at home. Italy won yesterday as much due to their great effort as was the choatic french gameplan... they were headless in the 2nd half.

They have Scotland away (the game they always target) and Wales and Ireland at home... whom they both can beat in this form.

It would be amazing for Italy to win 4 games.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:37 am

Italy in with a real chance of making a big impression on the table this year I would wager. They are a different beast in Rome when the crowd are behind them. They came very close to beating England for the first time last year too.

This will not be an easy fixture for Ireland and Wales. My prediction is that Italy will beat Wales and Draw with Scotland. England will be too much for the Italians at Twickenham, and Ireland will scrap out a win on the final weekend.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:41 am

If they win 4 they are in a shout of the title... Ok, very remote possibility, as it would come down to points difference, and Italy are ulikly to win by big scores.

Saying that though, I predicted before the start they would beat Scotland and Wales (doh Sad ). It is not beyond them to beat Ireland in Rome either. If the other "big boys" do a job on each other, ie. Wales stop England in Cardiff AND Ireland put a stop to them in Dublin. If Scotland can pull off a win against Ireland in Murrayfield... if if if.. There is a chance, the so call "big boys" can turn each other over leaving Italy in for a shout at the title.... Now that would be one for the record books... Very Happy (But unlikey...).

I predicted Italy finishing 3rd above France (4th), Wales (5th), and Scotland(6th), and I'll stick with that... I have Ireland (2nd) with England getting the Slam.

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

France waited 24 tournaments before they won it
Ireland also went 24 years without winning it 1985–2009

24 tournaments is the longest wait at present without winning it, Italy have gone 13 years at present, so should win it within the next 10 years.

Scotlands longest run without winning it is 19 years, so are due to win it soon enough as well.

Italy could be in with a rally good chance this year, away to Scotland, is a winable game for them, then home against Wales is another winable game, if England lose against France and Ireland, Italy would go to England, thinking they have a very good chance of winning it with a grand slam, and wouldn't be afraid of Ireland at home.

Who'd have thought the last game Italy V Ireland could possible be a grand slam decider before the weekend?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:50 am

Kingshu.... I'd love that prospect.. It would really turn the "seeding" the TV broadcasters do to try and get the finale being the decider on its head...

...but not going to be very likely is it...

Think Italy are on for a great 6 Nations for them, but Grand Slam, that would be something special...

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:01 pm

The next game will be vital for Italy, Scotland will be looking to prove a point after this weekend, but if italy play as they did, then who knows.

Followed up by Wales at home, so with azzuri tinted specs on, you might say that being 3 from 3 isnt as stupid as it sounds. It would be great for the tournament, much better if there are no easy games which allow new caps with a less intense start.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:07 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:The next game will be vital for Italy, Scotland will be looking to prove a point after this weekend, but if italy play as they did, then who knows.

Followed up by Wales at home, so with azzuri tinted specs on, you might say that being 3 from 3 isnt as stupid as it sounds. It would be great for the tournament, much better if there are no easy games which allow new caps with a less intense start.

Three from three and they would be on a roll... Might be worth a few quid at the bookies quick before they change their odds to drastically.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:50 pm

sirBiggles wrote:Kingshu.... I'd love that prospect.. It would really turn the "seeding" the TV broadcasters do to try and get the finale being the decider on its head...

France-Scotland is an awful note to finish on anyway. It's usually a dire game.

Italy could easily win the whole thing. In recent years England, Ireland and France have had a bit of rock-paper-scissors going on, with Ireland beats England beats France beats Ireland. It's easy to see that happening again. Which means if Italy beat Scotland and Wales (which, apart from form, the rankings say they should!) we go into the final weekend with England, Ireland and Italy on 3 wins each.

I wouldn't fancy going to Rome to face 75,000 Italians who think they can win it.

Say Italy beat Ireland. Then England (who will probably have superior points diff) just have to beat Wales in Cardiff. Past experience tells us that Wales will win that, which would leave Italy champions.

Of course this probably won't happen. But Italy have to recognise this as a great opportunity - the fixtures have fallen kindly for them as Wales and Ireland will be beatable in Rome, and there is a pretty good chance that the other top teams will cancel each other out.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:04 pm

That was probably the best I have seen Italy play. The question is can they keep it up. I doubt it but they are moving in the right direction.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:35 pm

Their last game against NZ wasn't too bad so we might say this is a continuation of good form.
good luck to them!
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down