The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Error on Djokovic's points breakdown?

+2
JuliusHMarx
Cogen
6 posters

Go down

Error on Djokovic's points breakdown? Empty Error on Djokovic's points breakdown?

Post by Cogen Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:38 pm

Djokovic's break down can be found here:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Novak-Djokovic.aspx?t=rb

I think there might be a mistake and I'm interested to get other people's opinions.

It is my understanding that a player has a maximum limit of 4 tournaments in their "500" category. Monte Carlo (the only non-mandatory Masters), and Davis Cup are also included in the "500" quota.

Ignore the Olympics because it seems to be a special case. A number of other players, including Federer and Murray, have the Olympics in addition to the usual 4 tournaments. But even discounting the Olympics, I think Djokovic is still exceeding his quota.

He has Monte Carlo and Davis Cup, plus Beijing, Dubai and Valencia, for a total of 5.

Now, depending on what happened at Valencia, I think either the breakdown needs a minor cosmetic adjustment, or it could actually have the wrong total?!

I don't know what happened with Djokovic at Valencia, and I couldn't find any results in quick Google search, so does anyone here have the answer?

Option 1) If Djokovic withdrew from the tournament and received a 0-point penalty, then the rules say that must stay on his countables for a full year. If this is the case, then I think his four "500" countables should be Monte Carlo, Beijing, Dubai and Valencia. This would mean there is no room for Davis Cup, and his total should be reduced by 40pts to 12,920!

Option 2) If Djokovic had a legitimate reason for withdrawl, such as injury (or maybe withdrawing far enough in advance?) then maybe he avoided a 0-point penalty. If this is the case then the four countables should be Monte Carlo, Beijing, Dubai, and Davis Cup. The Valencia result should be included in the (non-existent) "non-countables" section of his breakdown. Just a small cosmetic change with no impact on the points.

Or are things fine as they are, and I'm misinterpreting a rule somewhere? Please help!

The reason I ask is that it is currently screwing up my coding logic for my website! I've written a script where upon entering a chosen date, it collects info straight from the ATP website, and returns the total points which would still be eligible at that date. Part of the logic in that script says to not allow more that 4 "500" results (excluding Olympics), and to always include the best results UNLESS there are 0's within the countables section, in which case assume they are a penalties and must be inlcuded. With today's date, the script is always 40 points out for Djokovic, but bang on the mark for everyone else in the top 10. Infuriating!

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Error on Djokovic's points breakdown? Empty Re: Error on Djokovic's points breakdown?

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

Is the answer here? http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx

"Commitment players (top 30 in 2012 year-end ranking) can count their best six (6) results from ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 and other events (Challengers, Futures, Davis Cup, Olympics) toward their ranking. To count their best six (6), players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open). "

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Error on Djokovic's points breakdown? Empty Re: Error on Djokovic's points breakdown?

Post by Cogen Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Is the answer here? http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx

"Commitment players (top 30 in 2012 year-end ranking) can count their best six (6) results from ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 and other events (Challengers, Futures, Davis Cup, Olympics) toward their ranking. To count their best six (6), players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open). "

Ah ha! I thought I was going mad for a minute, but the paragraph before that one explains why:
"In November 2011, the ATP Board passed a rule to allow more flexibility in which tournaments count toward the ranking of a commitment player in 2012 and 2013."

Sounds like they changed it from four 500's and two 250's, to allow players more options with their schedule. My fault for not keeping up to date with the rule changes!

Thank you!

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:58 pm

I have no recollection of Novak even having Valencia on his schedule in 2012.

Could it not just be a mistake on the ATP site?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

I don't think he went valencia, he pulled out of his own tournament in belgrade and doesn't really ever play that tournament. He didn't in 2011 or 2010 either if my recollection is correct so why would he schedule it?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:07 pm

Ok, so it sounds like it is my mistake AND the ATP's mistake for entirely different reasons! Laugh

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 14 Feb 2013, 6:15 pm

Isnt the answer that he didnt actually play 4 500s in 2012 (assuming olympics doesnt count)? Consequently he gets a nil pointer for Valencia as that (or Basel) was the last 500 of the year.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

Cogen

A welcome addition to these boards

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:52 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Isnt the answer that he didnt actually play 4 500s in 2012 (assuming olympics doesnt count)? Consequently he gets a nil pointer for Valencia as that (or Basel) was the last 500 of the year.

That is the correct answer the world number one has failed to play 4 500 pointers that is required by the atp

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down