The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days

+19
supervisor
HM Murdock
TRuffin
JuliusHMarx
Jeremy_Kyle
User 774433
Haddie-nuff
laverfan
lags72
Josiah Maiestas
bogbrush
ryan86
banbrotam
sportslover
hawkeye
socal1976
lydian
Chydremion
invisiblecoolers
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days Empty Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:08 pm

One of easy wins for Benny who made Roger look like his Bunny, this is just another perfect example of how easy it is to beat Roger these days compared to his hey days. Any body who comes with a good game can catch Roger off color to produce what otherwise would have been a stunning win.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days Empty Re: Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days

Post by Chydremion Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:13 pm

Federer has no business losing to a guy who hasn't won a single ATP title...sigh.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days Empty Re: Bennateau confirms how easy to beat Federer these days

Post by lydian Fri 15 Feb 2013, 8:16 pm

Bunny is 0-7 in ATP finals...ouch.
He's almost same age as Fed so comments about hey-day aren't so relevant given Benny isn't impervious to ageing either.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

The guy is better than a lot of players that have won a couple of tourneys here and there. He does tank in finals like lydian has pointed out but he did make a short run to the top 10 at one point. He is a pretty gifted player snake bitten by injuries.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

But I thought Murray's win over Federer at the AO proved that he was now MurrayV2 as it is incredibly hard to beat him? So is it easy or hard to beat Federer?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:14 pm

No murray's win at the USO proved that. I know it is hard for you to realize dear Hawk, but the entire universe does not circle Roger and Rafa. Tennis was great before them and it will be great without them although I hope to see them stick around for as long as possible because they are good for the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:16 pm

Harder to beat him in a slam as he probably doesn't take a 500 tournament too seriously!

However as time goes by he maybe have to change his thinking.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:18 pm

HE

Roger has been vulnerable to poor form and losses in events below Masters level, since around 2007

His Slam record, however, is different

i.e. it's still an achievement to beat him at a Slam

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:26 pm

Watching the Klizan/Simon game, I think most of the crowd had the right idea in going home.

EDIT: Has he dyed his hair darker?

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:06 pm

lydian wrote:Bunny is 0-7 in ATP finals...ouch.
He's almost same age as Fed so comments about hey-day aren't so relevant given Benny isn't impervious to ageing either.

It was a pathetic match, and the age was clearly relevant , both played pathetic and Roger won the contest.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:38 pm

hawkeye wrote:But I thought Murray's win over Federer at the AO proved that he was now MurrayV2 as it is incredibly hard to beat him? So is it easy or hard to beat Federer?

Well you know the facts HE, I was expecting an article from you, sad it didn't happen. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 15 Feb 2013, 10:42 pm

Regrettably while I think the OP has overstated it for effect, she's mostly right. Roger really is a long way past his peak days.

But it's natural, no worries. I'm just disappointed I never got to see the greatest player I've ever watched, live and at his best. I'm going to day 1 of Wimbledon Centre this year, just to be certain of seeing the great man. I'm also doing the semis too, but I have less confidence of seeing what I want there. Crying or Very sad
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

Benny nearly always makes Fed work harder than he's used to. Quality player who lost too many matches that he shouldn't have,

Anyway Federer will be having dinner with Mandela in few days, while Nadal will be playing a challengers level on clay (again) trying to vulture a few points.

17 slams clap
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:29 pm

lydian wrote:Bunny is 0-7 in ATP finals...ouch.

Perfectly good point about the age factor (or rather lack of, in this case) but there is also the matter of 'mileage clocked up' - which (I think....?) you yourself have touched on in the past lydian.

Career matches played to date by Benne ..... around 400
Career matches played to date by Fed...........around 1100

Great win for Benneteau OK
Bad loss of points for Federer

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:41 pm

Federer is 883-199 Career W/L. Benneteau is 197-208 Career W/L.

No excuse for Federer, he played very poorly. Father time does eventually catch up.

Nadal is also struggling against Berlocq down a set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:31 am

bogbrush wrote:Regrettably while I think the OP has overstated it for effect, she's mostly right.

BB I am not she, I am He mad

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:32 am

laverfan wrote:Federer is 883-199 Career W/L. Benneteau is 197-208 Career W/L.

No excuse for Federer, he played very poorly. Father time does eventually catch up.

Nadal down a break in the 3rd set recovered to go 4-3

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:34 am

I'm finding the match a difficult watch, not because of the play or anything, but because the boorish ignorance of the crowd.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:35 am

ryan86 wrote:

I'm finding the match a difficult watch, not because of the play or anything, but because the boorish ignorance of the crowd.

Well don't blame the crowd, they paid high money to watch Fed in action, and Fed didn't turn up, I can understand their frustrations. mad

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:50 am

I was actually talking about the Nadal match. I don't know if the acoustics of the arena (indoor clay), but I find the volumous cheering of unforced errors with the 3rd shot of a rally or a fault distasteful, the constant shouting unecessary. I'm not saying that matches should be played in library silence, because having caught some of the earlier rounds of San Jose which when played on Centre was a huge bowl with about 3 people watching was completely dire, but I found the Brazilian crowd (or at least half them completely boorish with the other half trying to "Shhh" them before each point). I'm all for atmosphere, I love a party with a happy atmosphere, but I didn't think it was a positive atmosphere in Sao Paulo.

I never noticed it in Rotterdam (or Liverpool or Rome).

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:57 am

@Ryan86 ... Rotterdam spectators, during the Federer-Benneteau match, were aware of Federer's struggles and were very quiet. It was eerie. Benne did well.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:31 am

ryan86 - beautifully subtle nod to the beautiful south ..........

Nicely done Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:36 am

They all have bad days at the office, Feds turn today. Benneteau is a good enough player to take advantage.

Yes, lots more mileage Lags...but thats ATP mileage, you need to add another 250 Challenger and Futures singles matches for Benneteau and 100s more doubles matches too.

All these pros, ATP level or not, are active all year long, every year.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:46 am

Problem is Federer is doing nothing with his shots this year. Where are those big first-strike forehand winners? He makes Djokovic look like James Blake.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 7:23 am

Chydremion wrote:Problem is Federer is doing nothing with his shots this year. Where are those big first-strike forehand winners? He makes Djokovic look like James Blake.

Djokovic should look like james blake? James blake must be flattered by that analogy, a great guy don't get me wrong and a talented player but didn't he never win a tournament other than a 250? By the way Jimmy B is doing some tennis broadcasting now and he is pretty good for a beginner, so good luck to him maybe he can lend his brother enough money for a decent hair cut now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:34 am

ryan86 wrote:I was actually talking about the Nadal match. I don't know if the acoustics of the arena (indoor clay), but I find the volumous cheering of unforced errors with the 3rd shot of a rally or a fault distasteful, the constant shouting unecessary. I'm not saying that matches should be played in library silence, because having caught some of the earlier rounds of San Jose which when played on Centre was a huge bowl with about 3 people watching was completely dire, but I found the Brazilian crowd (or at least half them completely boorish with the other half trying to "Shhh" them before each point). I'm all for atmosphere, I love a party with a happy atmosphere, but I didn't think it was a positive atmosphere in Sao Paulo.

I never noticed it in Rotterdam (or Liverpool or Rome).

I agree with you Ryan I think the crowd really awful.. no matter who is playing if they query a shot or examine the lines to see if it was a correct call the crowd boo. The acoustics are awful they sound like they are playing in an aircraft hanger. The court itself is dreadful.. they come on with a bucket what looks like ground bricks filling up holes and using something like a plunger. The match last light was like having teeth pulled.... awful

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:17 am

I loved the crowd yesterday, they were superb.
It was weird actually, I don't think I've heard an atmosphere like that in a non Davis Cup match.
When Nadal plays in Madrid, or Federer plays in Basel, the crowd are biased of course... but they restrain themselves as they recognise they have to respect the opponent too as they are the 'home crowd'.
Brazil crowd last night went crazy, it was fantastic. They cheered every Nadal winner, and every Berlocq error, and every time Berlocq missed his first serve, his second serve etc.
At times yesterday I though the crowd carried Nadal, without them no way would Nadal have won the match... he clearly needs more match practice.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:32 am

Im not happy at all about crowds cheering errors and missed first serves IMBL
whether it be Rafa or not.. sorry You would not have thought it so wonderful if you had been supporting Berlocq or the indeed if the situation had been reversed. Shocked

Though I agree on one point there is certainly room for improvement where Rafa is concerned

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 16 Feb 2013, 11:56 am

Did Federer have a bad back injury? Those are the rumours.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sat 16 Feb 2013, 12:54 pm

Very disappointing article IC, poor attempt to dismiss a brilliant objective analysis with biased subjective facts. New Benneteau (the confidence player who won yesterday) would have won boatloads of slams in the weak era. If he isn't doing so now, it just shows how good are the four consistent guys in today's golden era and how weak was the field in the weaky era. OK? Wink
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:02 pm

Julien date with semi-final as Fedex fails to deliver the goods.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Julien date with semi-final as Fedex fails to deliver the goods.

clap clap

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 16 Feb 2013, 4:26 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Did Federer have a bad back injury? Those are the rumours.

He's had back injury for four years now. It goes on and off a bit it appears, but certainly chronic.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:19 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Did Federer have a bad back injury? Those are the rumours.

I don't think his back was hurting in Rotterdam.. His serve mph was solid (which usualy dips when he's battling the back) though his accuracy was terrible.. I think the confusion and rumours which I've heard owas that one of the commentators (British voice, was on the USA Tennis Channel feed) said during Fed's second match that he was friends with Annacone and Annacone had told him that Federer almost pulled out of Wimbledon last year BEFORE the Bennetau match becasue his back was so wrecked. Most had assumed that Fed's back didn't act up until the next round agianst Malaize when we all saw him in trouble and getting treatment. According to what Annacone told this guy- Fed was in pain throughtout the whole tournament- which makes the accomplishment of winning it going through Djoko and Murray even more impressive..

It seems like people are confusing that story of the Benne match last year with this one and thinking he was talking about now........

My view on the match and the whole week- is Federer is finally starting to show signs of a lack of motivation for the smaller tourny's. . He took a long break after AO to go on vacation with his family and didn't resume training until 2 days before Rotterdam. Now he's flying to South Africa on Sunday to visit schools that his foundations funds and is giving up preperation for Dubai to do so.......... I think his mind is starting to make the transition from tennis a bit.....

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:20 pm

I think he has had a problem throughout his career but its certify worse. Bound to be I suppose. I don't know anything about yesterday though.

Federer should drastically cut his schedule and just prepare for Slams. Nothing at all to achieve elsewhere now, #1 is done and he got the 300.

Last edited by bogbrush on Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:24 pm

That's incredible TRuffin - it was obvious how messed up he was against Benny & Mallisse (I couldn't believe he squeaked past the 2nd of those, he was moving like my Dad).

He must have gone out in those last matches numbed by painkillers.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:54 pm

I'm confused as to why Roger even entered this tournament. For instance last year, he didn't play many of these type of events

It surely that he's bothered by points loses / or penalties, he's well ahead of Murray

I'd have thought he'd be doing what Andy is and giving the remainder of the HC season lip service, by only playing in the two Masters events and then having a real go on the Clay

Given that it will be amazing if Nadal is good enough to win RG this year - this surely is a golden opportunity not only for Fed to win his second title but beat Nadal on the way to it

Surprised, that this doesn't appear to be the priority

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Sat 16 Feb 2013, 5:57 pm

banbrotam wrote:I'm confused as to why Roger even entered this tournament. For instance last year, he didn't play many of these type of events

It surely that he's bothered by points loses / or penalties, he's well ahead of Murray

I'd have thought he'd be doing what Andy is and giving the remainder of the HC season lip service, by only playing in the two Masters events and then having a real go on the Clay

Given that it will be amazing if Nadal is good enough to win RG this year - this surely is a golden opportunity not only for Fed to win his second title but beat Nadal on the way to it

Surprised, that this doesn't appear to be the priority

Federer is not interested in mudpot tournaments, nor should he.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:14 pm

Frankly he looked like he wished he was anywhere but where he was... tired and going through the motions but with "been here done that and got the Nike tee shirt" attitude.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:26 pm

Jeremy_Kyle wrote:Very disappointing article IC, poor attempt to dismiss a brilliant objective analysis with biased subjective facts. New Benneteau (the confidence player who won yesterday) would have won boatloads of slams in the weak era. If he isn't doing so now, it just shows how good are the four consistent guys in today's golden era and how weak was the field in the weaky era. OK? Wink

Very funny, except that bennetteau is almost the same age as federer so he did play in the weak era and couldn't win any slams. Nice try though, I like the humor or attempts at it, this one clearly falls into the latter category.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:31 pm

Banbrotam didn't federer play and win Rotterdam last year? Frankly we have been hearing threads like this about federer's demise mainly from his fans since 2010. Federer is fine, probably will have another good year or two and then hang it up. Tennis is a timing game on your best day you beat players you have no business beating and on your poor days you lose to players you have no business losing to. That being said he has lost a little bit of footwork.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:46 pm

TRuffin wrote:I think the confusion and rumours which I've heard owas that one of the commentators (British voice, was on the USA Tennis Channel feed) said during Fed's second match that he was friends with Annacone and Annacone had told him that Federer almost pulled out of Wimbledon last year BEFORE the Bennetau match becasue his back was so wrecked. Most had assumed that Fed's back didn't act up until the next round agianst Malaize when we all saw him in trouble and getting treatment. According to what Annacone told this guy- Fed was in pain throughtout the whole tournament- which makes the accomplishment of winning it going through Djoko and Murray even more impressive..

It seems like people are confusing that story of the Benne match last year with this one and thinking he was talking about now........

My view on the match and the whole week- is Federer is finally starting to show signs of a lack of motivation for the smaller tourny's. . He took a long break after AO to go on vacation with his family and didn't resume training until 2 days before Rotterdam. Now he's flying to South Africa on Sunday to visit schools that his foundations funds and is giving up preperation for Dubai to do so.......... I think his mind is starting to make the transition from tennis a bit.....

You can hear it again on the ESPN3 replay, if you have access. Nick Lester/Arvind Parmar were the commentators. The first serve at 57% (first set) and 55% (second set) was bad and has been all week.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:57 pm

Good post from Ruffin, I think Federer must be mentally fatigued and lack the hunger he once had. With two kids, all that he has won, all the money and fame how could he not lose a little mental focus on these smaller tournaments. But Federer did play and win this event the last two years before this, so this could be recent development.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 16 Feb 2013, 7:27 pm

Easy to beat Federer?

Since winning Wimbledon, the world rankings of the players who have beaten him are 1, 3 (three times), 7 and 8.

All but one of these were in finals or semi finals.

The Benneteau result was a surprise but don't get carried away!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by supervisor Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:07 pm

hey
Am i the only one who thinks federer's return game has decreased significantly?

supervisor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:39 pm

Benny followed up his win by beating Simon so I guess he should retire too.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:17 pm

Simon should retire so nobody else has the misfortune of having to watch him play.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 16 Feb 2013, 9:47 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:The Benneteau result was a surprise but don't get carried away!

The same thing happened when Baggy beat him at IW. Crying or Very sad

supervisor wrote:Am i the only one who thinks federer's return game has decreased significantly?

He was lopping his slices yesterday in the mid-court against Benne, who was sauntering in for the kill. He would also go long in his FH returns. It broke down yesterday.

Looking forward for Nadal-Nalbandian @Sao Paulo (Nadal is up a break in third).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm

Nadal completes 6-1.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat 16 Feb 2013, 10:11 pm

Martin Alund was actually is a bit of a bizarre case. According to the ATP website, at the age of 27, before this week he had played 1 tour level match (Vina del Mar last week). He lost in qualifying, but got a lucky loser and then preceded to make it to the semis. Now he'll be able to tell the grandkids about the day he took a set off Rafa Nadal.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next