The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much is PL football worth?

+2
dyrewolfe
GSC
6 posters

Go down

How much is PL football worth? Empty How much is PL football worth?

Post by GSC Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Ignoring the obvious money answers. After Cardiff City's new owners changed the badge of the club, and the colours to make them more marketable in Asia, now reports emerge that they will be renamed the Cardiff Dragons.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

How much is PL football worth? Empty Re: How much is PL football worth?

Post by dyrewolfe Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I think you're asking the wrong question and pretty much answered the real one.

Cardiff's owners changed the club colours and name primarily to make them more marketable in their home nation (thus attracting more sponsorship). Obviously this was done with promotion to the PL as the ultimate goal, but no guarantee, since the team still has to do the business on the pitch.

Personally I don't think its worth sacrificing a club's heritage, for the sake of promotion, sponsorship, or to keep new owners happy.

My own club Middlesbrough had a sponsorship agreement with Cellnet, quite a few years back, which meant our ground, the Riverside Stadium was called the Cellnet Riverside Stadium. That said, it was a brand new ground at the time, so its not like we were changing the name of our spiritual home or anything.

I certainly wouldn't be happy at changing our club colours or acquiring an odd Oriental/Middle Eastern/American nickname, just to please new owners/sponsors.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm

I think its wrong and I am glad I dont support Cardiff. Im a Leicester fan and if our owners decided they wanted to change the team colours and change our name to the Leicester Foxes or something like that, then I would give up football and never go to the King Power Stadium again.

The biggest problem is that they look destined for the Premier League. This might mean other owners think that what they did worked. IMO this is pure coincidence as Cardiff have been getting stronger and stronger every season and were always going to go up eventually. I just hope this is a one off and other clubs dont follow suit.

If we are not careful you will end up with clubs changing their home kit colours every season to get shirt sales.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Cardiff were about to enter administration before he bought the club tbf
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I was just about to give you a OK when I saw your location. Then I realised you were a Forest fan so thumbsdown

laugh out loud.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm sat in your uni library atm if it makes you feel better
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Mmmmm, a little bit...

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 am

Shot 21 LCFC wrote:I think its wrong and I am glad I dont support Cardiff. Im a Leicester fan and if our owners decided they wanted to change the team colours and change our name to the Leicester Foxes or something like that, then I would give up football and never go to the King Power Stadium again.

Is that not a bit much? If Crawley Town changed to the Crawley Devils or Crawley Reds, it's still my club, just with a name change. I doubt i'd be happy about it but at the same time I wouldn't give up football and never go to another Crawley game.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 am

I don't really understand the logic of trying to market Cardiff in Asia? Commercially could a club like Cardiff ever realistically compete with Manchester utd or Liverpool over there.

I can just imagine the marketing team meeting now:

Boss: "Right we need more fans and merchandise sales, any ideas"

Marketing Exec:"What about Asia? Utd seem to doing pretty well out there"

Boss: "Yes, make it happen"

Don't agree with the name change either, the main reason Man Utd are so successful and supported around the world is because of their success on the pitch. Cradiff should concentrate on getting it right on the pitch establishing themselves in the EPL and other success will follow.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 am

Marky wrote:
Shot 21 LCFC wrote:I think its wrong and I am glad I dont support Cardiff. Im a Leicester fan and if our owners decided they wanted to change the team colours and change our name to the Leicester Foxes or something like that, then I would give up football and never go to the King Power Stadium again.

Is that not a bit much? If Crawley Town changed to the Crawley Devils or Crawley Reds, it's still my club, just with a name change. I doubt i'd be happy about it but at the same time I wouldn't give up football and never go to another Crawley game.

Im not just talking abou the name change though. Also the colour change and basically a complete change if indentity. I honestly think it would put me off football. It should be a sport not a franchise.

I hope this is a one off situation though, our owners wouldnt be so arrogant.

The other thing to think of, is the Cardiff owner has changed to red and possible name change on his own personal whim (I hear the "marketable in Asia" excuse but I think thats rubbish, doubt Man City and Chelsea struggle). What about if he decides to go in 3-5 years time. All that history and tradition stamped on for what?

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:56 am

Thing is some of these foreign owners aren't brought up with football clubs, they are brought up with franchises, whose main aim is to make as much money as possible.

Here we have a totally different culture in supporting our teams, than they do in the USA/Asia for example
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down