The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game

+6
amanuensis
JDizzle
Duty281
VTR
Mad for Chelsea
mystiroakey
10 posters

Go down

Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game Empty Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:07 am

From trott.

"The conclusion to the series against New Zealand at Eden Park represents one of the last competitive matches before coach Ashley Giles names his 30-man squad for the ICC Champions Trophy in England this summer.

While only fitness problems would keep both men from that list, Trott acknowledged that Root’s rise is likely to impact on one senior batsman before long.

When Trott says he is determined it will not be him, not only Root but the others who the battle for places could affect – Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell and Eoin Morgan – should take note.

Once dug in, Trott is devilishly difficult to shift as an average in excess of 50 at the crease suggests. Yet his admission that he will continue to work on developing his game also indicates that, after watching Root close up in Napier during their match-winning partnership, he recognises a challenge when he sees one.

“There are always ways you can improve and you don’t want to stand still in this team as there are always guys coming in like Joe. You need to be constantly improving,” Trott said.

“There are various ways I can improve. I wouldn’t say it is being more dynamic, more just tinkering with a few things here and there.

“Everyone is learning new stuff all the time but it’s about finding the right balance between figuring out what kind of player you are and what your game needs. But I am looking to improve my areas of scoring and boundary options.”"

Trott admits what we know about him. He needs to strike a better balance in the one day format.

Root hasnt just proved to be a great one day player allready, and also test player(although one match even at a 90 plus average!! isnt enough proof)

But he has also proved that he can adapt to any game plan england need.. This is key to the modern game.. Root today showed he can hang about with a 28 no .. But in previous games he has stepped up the SR when needed..

This is something trott has never quite been able to manage..

Anyway as i have said previously- Its all about bell to show his form.. Not neccesairly Trott. But all the same i like his stance on thsi. Root is healthy competition to the senior players..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game Empty Re: Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

as you say, Root has the ability to adapt his game to the situation. For me this makes him a perfect fit for the n°4 position in ODIs, which is probably a spot too high for Morgan, but a spot too low for KP or Trott. He could also fill in the slightly troublesome n°5 position in T20s (assuming a top 4 of Hales KP Wright Morgan and Buttler at 6). Realistically there's no way Morgan will be dropped, and Root at 4 allows him to bat at 5, which I think he's more suited to anyway. Then of course you have Buttler at 6 (hoping he grows into the role in ODIs as he did in T20s) and I think with the modern regs you want five proper bowlers in most conditions. This then leaves us with the problem of fitting four players - Cook Bell Trott and KP - into three places. Now for me KP has to play, Cook as well obviously, which means Bell and Trott fighting it out for the last place.

Bell is well suited to the top of the order where he can take advantage of the PPs, but I do worry if he'll score enough runs quickly enough outside of them. Trott of course is Mr dependable, will bat all day, but with the new regs needs to work on his boundary options. In some cases having an anchor is a good things, but not always. Ultimately, are England likely to win more matches through having someone like Trott bat through than they are to lose because his slow(ish) scoring hasn't allowed them to get enough runs. With KP, Root, Morgan and Buttler around him I'm tempted to go with the former, so Trott stays for me.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game Empty Re: Joe Root quickly becoming the No.1 choice.. Senior batsmen need to aware and up there game

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:55 am

yep agreed.

Who would you play at no.2 ..

This is the problem we have surely(by dropping bell)

I would be inclined to but kp in there, trott at 3, root at 4 and mogs at 5

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:07 am

KP, obviously. As I said (or implied) the two options for the top 3 (I genuinely think Root has made himself undroppable right now) are Cook KP Trott, or Cook Bell KP. I'd go with the former, but Trott does need to work on his boundary options. Also worth factoring in is Bell's superior fielding compared to Trott...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

Root is a great find. A year ago we were worried about the batting and who would come in if there was an injury and with Strauss set to retire. Now, thanks to Root and to a lesser extent Compton and Bairstow the main concern is who do you leave out.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

to be imagining droping trott just shows were we are.. good place to be.!! and if butler can show more!! we are in issues Lol...

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Feb 2013, 11:27 am

Nice choice to have though. We could go:

1) Cook
2) KP
3) Trott
4) Root
5) Morgan
6) Buttler

Or:

1) Cook
2) Bell
3) KP
4) Root
5) Morgan
6) Buttler

I'd be more inclined for the first option in truth, but that does seem harsh on Bell.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm

I'd go with MfC's first choice. I like KP opening, get your best batsman in for longest and he can do damage with the fielding restrictions etc. and then I think Trott is more solid than Bell at 3 and is more suited to there than Bell.

And James Taylor is carrying the Lions in Australia at the moment, but he does the same role as Trott, Cook, Bell, Root etc, so he won't be getting in any time soon. Crying or Very sad

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Taylor is someone with it all as well. Unlucky for him to be honest...

He would have got in the england side 10 years ago

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:38 pm

Sorry gents, but Pietersen isn't an opener - in Asia perhaps, but not in the places where England will be spending the bulk of their time.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:42 pm

whats your line up then!(would you keep bell in!)

there is another option and thats putting root in!!

Personally - kp can play anywhere.. no worries- if he doesnt do to well trott comes in at 3 to steady the ship. if kp does well at 2 then england will be very well set up! ODI is evolving- having two decent test openers are something of a backwards concept imo anyway

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm

I wouldn't break up the opening partnership. Bell has scored far more runs than anyone else since his return to the side, along with 5 awards (3 MOTM & 2 MOTS) - he has more than justified his place there.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:09 pm

so what are you saying!

leave out trott, kp or root

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Sat 23 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

Or Morgan.

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:05 pm

If i was keeping bell/.

i would play him at 2.. But KP at 3!! trott at 4 , root at 5.(I cant abide that top 3 of cook bell and trott)- its odi. we need to maximise our potential.. hardly any teams are gonna take 10 wickets from us in 50

But i think root deserves the no 4 spot.. he is theplayer i want to see more of..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

VTR wrote:Root is a great find. A year ago we were worried about the batting and who would come in if there was an injury and with Strauss set to retire. Now, thanks to Root and to a lesser extent Compton and Bairstow the main concern is who do you leave out.

Well, when England play Australia, the player to leave out will be the one that can't handle the extreme and fiery pace of the Aussie quicks Pattinson, Starc, Sid Vicious, Bird, Hazlewood, Johnson.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by amanuensis Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

mystiroakey wrote:If i was keeping bell/.

i would play him at 2.. But KP at 3!! trott at 4 , root at 5.(I cant abide that top 3 of cook bell and trott)- its odi. we need to maximise our potential.. hardly any teams are gonna take 10 wickets from us in 50

But i think root deserves the no 4 spot.. he is theplayer i want to see more of..

I'd like them to experiment with a middle order of Root, Pietersen & Morgan or Pietersen, Root & Morgan - Trott is too limited & limiting for me. Morgan would be on probation though...

amanuensis

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:43 pm

amanuensis wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:If i was keeping bell/.

I'd like them to experiment with a middle order of Root, Pietersen & Morgan or Pietersen, Root & Morgan - Trott is too limited & limiting for me. Morgan would be on probation though...

Well for the test matches V Australia, I would like to see England trying out Root at 4, with Bell at 5 and Pietersen at 6 so that he can play the same type of swashbuckling role that Ian Botham played as in the 1981 ashes series.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:24 pm

Root is obviously a young batsman with enormous potential, but are the kind of expectations that rabid English fans (myself included) very fair?

After all, it is often the case that a quality batsman has a 'honeymoon period' at international level before teams begin to work out a technical frailty in their game? An extreme example being Phil Hughes, had a great tour of South Africa and then before you know it the English had figured out a simple remedy for his attacking style: he doesn't like facing chin music. Or a more subtle example of Alistair Cook, who ironed out his technical flaw in time for the last Ashes series (but was seen as a lesser threat by the Aussies prior to the series because of the technical flaw)?

Or is this model slightly outdated these days with the excellent capability for technical analysis of the game? Batsmen no longer will have the 'unknown' quality by the time they reach international level ... ??

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:04 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
VTR wrote:Root is a great find. A year ago we were worried about the batting and who would come in if there was an injury and with Strauss set to retire. Now, thanks to Root and to a lesser extent Compton and Bairstow the main concern is who do you leave out.

Well, when England play Australia, the player to leave out will be the one that can't handle the extreme and fiery pace of the Aussie quicks Pattinson, Starc, Sid Vicious, Bird, Hazlewood, Johnson.

When Sid Vicious comes here with his chin music I feel it could be the Ginger Yorkshireman who is taken out of the firing line. Afterall, was not Jonny Rotten against the short ball in the early part of last summer?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:19 pm

VTR wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

When Sid Vicious comes here with his chin music I feel it could be the Ginger Yorkshireman who is taken out of the firing line. Afterall, was not Jonny Rotten against the short ball in the early part of last summer?

That myth (based on what 2 Tests) was pretty quickly dispelled.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

You are aware my comment wasn't intented to be a serious assessment of Bairstow's ability? How much more obvious does it have to be, have you heard of The Sex Pistols?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 27 Feb 2013, 6:56 pm

I think we should be careful about building Root up too quickly. Don't get me wrong he looks the real deal but he will have a bad patch and it could come sooner target than later, though I hope not.
Judge him as a permanent fixture after 10-15 tests, we are talking about him being a shoo in ahead of some very good players in Bell and Trott.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 27 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm

Aye Diggs. your right. But he isnt going to get the same media attention as I and others may give him on here. He isnt a prem footballer!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 28 Feb 2013, 12:46 am

What England need I believe is another solid left-hander in the middle order for the test team, and no I don't mean Eoin Morgan as he just can't hack it against top class pace and spin bowling at a test match level. Perhaps England should look at trying out Michael Carberry for batting at number 6 V NZ in the first 2 tests of the summer before the ashes series starts.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:38 pm

Carberry Laugh

I know you're fishing but no-one's going to fall for that. You might as well have put Nick Knight and be done with it. Must try harder Geoffrey!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down