The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Courtney Lawes

+47
RubyGuby
funnyExiledScot
Diggers
R!skysports
robbo277
Cyril
freeman lowell
doctor_grey
BigTrevsbigmac
belovedfrosties
100%beefy
TJ1
Sgt_Pooly
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
mystiroakey
Effervescing Elephant
bluestonevedder
Bathman_in_London
king_carlos
Geordie
hugehandoff
profitius
damage_13
Hood83
thomh
Taffineastbourne
Alex_Germany
ultra
B91212
wasps
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
lostinwales
BamBam
nobbled
bedfordwelsh
sickofwendy
ChequeredJersey
fa0019
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
wales606
Barney McGrew did it
pbuk0
formerly known as Sam
tatterd
Looseheaded
51 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Courtney Lawes Empty Courtney Lawes

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 am

Am I the only one who thinks he's just quite Poopie?

Commentators go on about him 'being an athlete' and extremely physical, but he only puts big hits in on scrum halves and backs alike, not great in the tight, not great in the loose (see missed tackle on Fofana) and his ball carrying is equal to a beanpole.

I'm not a rugby genius so probably have missed it but what exactly does he do that everyone seems so fond of?

EDIT: according to ESPN's stats in the first half he's missed 4 tackles. That's shocking for any player let alone a lock-come-flanker

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Courtney Lawes Empty Re: Courtney Lawes

Post by tatterd Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 am

No, you're not the only one actually - #overhyped

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 am

I think he's garbage. Surely there's a better option at 6 if The Brand wasn't fit to start?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 am

im a fan of Lawes, but not at 6!

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:49 am

He's a decent athletic lock but on thr flank he is out of his depth.

His defence is good but in attack I struggle to remember any big carries from him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pbuk0 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 am

I agree he should be in the 2nd row he is not a 6... Tom wood should play 6 and we should pick a proper #8.. We missed Ben Morgan today..

pbuk0

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:58 am

SL makes mistakes and this is one of them. A no 8 at no 8 and a b/s at b/s please - this is test rugby after all.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:59 am

I always thought he was very overhyped when he first played for England - then he got sent into the wilderness, now he is back proving me right.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 am

I've always said he's overhyped. Wood at 6 and Haskell at 8 would have been my choice for today.

Robshaw, Wood, Launchbury, Cole and possibly Youngs are Lions for me.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 am

Morgannwg.

Regards to Lawes, he will not make the Lions tour or even be slected in the squad. Well that is what i think/believe.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:21 am

I think he needs to lose a bit of the athletic aspect of his game and add some bulk. As many big hits he puts in he gets bounced off too much for a backrow five forward.

His weight ratio is too balanced... In rugby you need a lot of strength in your core if you're a big lad to not get turned over.

Etzebeth is similar... With the ball he gets turned over quite a lot when hes on his own....We actually put a man on his jersey for every carry to give him more balance in the initial balance... It works well and England would be good to follow suit on that... Same with launchbery.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:25 am

He was utter Love sacks today, both from what I saw and the stats
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:29 am

I think he needs a good run of rugby and should be judged in due course.He looks like a person who hasn't rode a bike in 10 years and is learning all over again.I believe he will come good over time.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 am

On a few of the others thread over last few days I have asked about lawes at 6, I think he is a great player (potentially) but I habe always seen him as a 2nd row.

Didn't see much of the England game today due to work but judging by the posts I guess the experiment at 6 didn't work?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 am

Great impact player coming off the bench - was poopie as a starter today.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:55 am

Too many people missing the point. He's a very average test b/s. He's a good test lock. SL got it wrong.

Next time I see Wood playing scrum half I'm going to have a right go at him.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:57 am

Agree with the comments about him needing to bulk up, just looks a bit too lean for 2nd row, and despite a couple of big tackles, missed far too many to be a consistent option at blindside. Have never really seen him make much ground with ball in hand either.

For Italy, I would like to see Wood back at blindside, and Morgan/Vunipola at 8, whoever is the most match fit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 am

He has an all or nothing tackling technique. I dont think its reliable enough at international level but you dont want to get caught by it

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 am

Hes a good player. He had a (very) bad day today playing out of position after not playing much rugby.
Easily the worst we've ever seen from him.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by wasps Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:56 pm

And yet we still won.
That means we can take a lot of positives from the experiments of Wood and Lawes.
Hopefully we've learnt that there are plenty of better options at 6.
And that while Wood can play 8, we're better with a more powerful player there.

Who is 2nd choice at 7 these days?
If Robshaw was to play 6, who would play 7?
Would it be Haskell? If so, we're no better off in terms of injury cover.

wasps

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Agree with PSW, good player who had a poor game and should probably stick to the second row for the foreseeable future. Disappointed as felt this could be his strongest position.

Generally good points are good hands, good line speed and pace, decent work rate and engine. Negatives were there for all to see today.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Can't quote from my mobile but in answer to wasps I think Wood or Haskell would play seven for now if Robshaw got injured. Once fit again, as long as he returns to form then expect Croft to join the other 3 as one of England's top four flankers moving forward. Fraser and Kvesic keeping them on their toes so to speak.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:48 pm

B91212 wrote:Agree with PSW, good player who had a poor game and should probably stick to the second row for the foreseeable future. Disappointed as felt this could be his strongest position.

Generally good points are good hands, good line speed and pace, decent work rate and engine. Negatives were there for all to see today.

It's all well and good being a quick lock and having good hands but when you don't make ground or break tackles when you have hands on then those skills are worthless.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:38 pm

For me it just highlights the huge difference between lock and backrow and the even bigger difference between club and international rugby. As a lock his (almost) back row abilities are a bonus.....As a back row they ain't even near to the standard required. Soon as we got our 8 back it'll get back to normal

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Time for Wood to return to 6, and play a 8 at 8. Morgan if fit, if not Billy V or Waldron, or even a call to Easter.

I'm happy for Lawes to be a sub for second row, and Haskell a sub for backrow, but don't start them (or Wood) out of position.

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 pm

It was an experiment which did not work.No harm done.Move on.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:42 pm

I thought Wood was fantastic yesterday, but we could do with having Morgan's carrying back.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Alex_Germany wrote:Time for Wood to return to 6, and play a 8 at 8. Morgan if fit, if not Billy V or Waldron, or even a call to Easter.

I'm happy for Lawes to be a sub for second row, and Haskell a sub for backrow, but don't start them (or Wood) out of position.

I wouldn't want tubby Easter back but I agree, our balance between power and mobility looked wrong to me.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 pm

he needs to stop looking for the 'perfect tackle' and just do the dog work like Wood

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm

damage_13 wrote:he needs to stop looking for the 'perfect tackle' and just do the dog work like Wood

Why would he. The big hit is what his reputation is based on and he only has to make one every other game and its enough to get him in the England squad.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Nice to read all the balanced articles.

Lawes is a very decent player, but of course the media went overboard as it always does with new players. When MJ went on about the sound made by CL tackles in training they all lapped it up. He has played extremely well in some matches and also poorly in others. Same as any player. Injuries have knocked him back a lot and he is still trying to get back up to previous levels. Playing him out of position was a mistake as everyone here has agreed. I don't think he will make the Lions, but I do think he will be part of this England team all the way into RWC 2015. At the moment coming off the bench is right for him.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 pm

I think Lawes should focus on becoming a lineout king...(does he have the knack of running a lineout? ) then he would be a great replacement for Parling...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:40 pm

He's a decent lock but not an International 6 by any standards. The good side of the France game in a way is that Lancaster has now learnt that he isn't a 6 without it costing us too dear. With Wood, Croft, Haskell and Johnson already in the pecking order and youngsters coming through we shouldn't be seeing him there again however.

4.Launchberry, Lawes
5.Parling, Deacon
6.Wood, Haskell, Croft, Johnson
7.Robshaw, Kvesic
8.Morgan, Vunipola, Waldrom, Crane

That's how I see the pecking order at the moment. If Croft comes back to full fitness he'll make a very interesting battle with Wood however, also if Robshaw were to get injured I'd probably rather move Wood to 7 than bring Kvesic in just yet. Good to see strength in depth however.

Last edited by king_carlos on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 pm

I think you might be right Geordie, at the moment he fits into neither of the 2 stereotypes for a second row (lets ignore the trial at 6 which shall not be named). He doesn't put in a decent enough shift as a workhorse/enforcer type, despite being 18 odd stone. His natural build is quite gangly (for a pro rugby player) so in theory focusing on the lineout would be a good long term bet for him. Does he have the brains though? (in the nicest possible way).

Wherever he ends up, he has to start working harder. Smashing a SH may look good for your youtube montage, but in fact getting him to the floor and then contesting for the ball or else wrapping him up is going to be far more useful to the team although not as glamourous.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:I think you might be right Geordie, at the moment he fits into neither of the 2 stereotypes for a second row (lets ignore the trial at 6 which shall not be named). He doesn't put in a decent enough shift as a workhorse/enforcer type, despite being 18 odd stone. His natural build is quite gangly (for a pro rugby player) so in theory focusing on the lineout would be a good long term bet for him. Does he have the brains though? (in the nicest possible way).

Wherever he ends up, he has to start working harder. Smashing a SH may look good for your youtube montage, but in fact getting him to the floor and then contesting for the ball or else wrapping him up is going to be far more useful to the team although not as glamourous.

OK

Great point

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I thought it for a while Bathman...he would make a lineout guy with a physicality...alongside say launchbury...

Now as you say does he have the brains to run it..well he wouldnt really have to if you had Wood etc there as he can do that.
Lawes just needs to focus on excelling in the lineout...

King Carlos,

You listed
7.Robshaw, Kvesic

You simply have to include Will Fraser there now...he impresses me every game i watch..and maybe further back..Wallace at quins.

I also disagree, for if Robshaw was to get injured i would keep Wood at 6 and give one of the young lads a go...they are actual 7's after all and all having been standing out in the prem....it would be Kvesic v Fraser i would think....and i would be happy with that.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
King Carlos,

You listed
7.Robshaw, Kvesic

You simply have to include Will Fraser there now...he impresses me every game i watch..and maybe further back..Wallace at quins.

I also disagree, for if Robshaw was to get injured i would keep Wood at 6 and give one of the young lads a go...they are actual 7's after all and all having been standing out in the prem....it would be Kvesic v Fraser i would think....and i would be happy with that.

I'd agree Fraser and Wallace have both been excelling in the jeff, I simply feel with how good a job the England pack as whole is doing of sharing the load at the breakdown I'd be happier seeing someone like Haskell come in who can take up some of the carrying work Robshaw has been getting through. Robshaw may not be making big carries but he's making a lot of them every game. In that sense Lancaster is employing a Exeter esque gameplan of rock solid defence and keep the ball at all cost. Kvesic would fit into that gameplan as well to be fair!

On the point of a 'proper 7' people debate a lot now it frustrates me slightly that people only refer to 'scavenging' when talking about a proper 7. In my eyes a true 7 has three key role - huge workload, breakdown menace AND linkman between forwards/backs. To me that last part is what sets McCaw apart from Pocock, Warburton, Brussow, etc and it's also what Robshaw is doing a good job of at the moment.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 pm

In that case i think Fraser would be your ideal choice...for he's a big lad...seems to be everywhere at the breakdwon...and he also isnt afraid to get his hands on the ball.

In the recent Saxons game at the Falcons i was at, in a woeful performance Fraser was one who stood out with a decent game.

I think both he and Kvesic would fall nicely into the team plan at 7 should it be required through injury.

6 Wood
7 Kvesic / Fraser / Wallace
8 Morgan

Still has a nice physical ball winning look to it, with some good carrying capacity aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Agreed Fraser is also a very strong ball carrier Geordie. All in all I think the best thing is that the back row is finally looking to have some depth to it. Plenty of competition in all three positions and if Morgan/Vunipola both continue to develop well we could have two great ball carriers to choose between at 8.

The obvious worry from there in the pack is TH with there being a fair distance between Cole and Wilson as back up, then a canyon to the next options after Wilson... Erm Let's just hope some of the youngsters can kick on soon!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Henry Thomas?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Henry Thomas is a good prospect, but in terms of experience he is a long way behind Cole and Wilson. I feel a bit for Wilson, he is a decent player, but with Cole in front of him he rarely seems to get any longer than 5 minutes to show what he can do.

Fraser has looked very good, I bet that playing at Glaws with a team goig forward will propel Kvesic into more peoples thinking too. He already looks good for Wuss, it can't be too long before he gets capped.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex_Germany Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:51 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:In that case i think Fraser would be your ideal choice...for he's a big lad...seems to be everywhere at the breakdwon...and he also isnt afraid to get his hands on the ball.

In the recent Saxons game at the Falcons i was at, in a woeful performance Fraser was one who stood out with a decent game.

I think both he and Kvesic would fall nicely into the team plan at 7 should it be required through injury.

6 Wood
8 Morgan

Still has a nice physical ball winning look to it, with some good carrying capacity aswell...
Isn't Clarke next in line?

Alex_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 am

Alex_Germany wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:In that case i think Fraser would be your ideal choice...for he's a big lad...seems to be everywhere at the breakdwon...and he also isnt afraid to get his hands on the ball.

6 Wood
8 Morgan

Isn't Clarke next in line?

I believe he's injured/a tw@t.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Yeah Lancs really seems to rate Clark...but he's out injured.

For me its Kvesic v Fraser for Robshaws understudy at the moment.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Lawes just looks abit to thin for my liking!

he was getting rattled up against the french. He needs to eat alot of meat before he comes back

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Lawes just looks abit to thin for my liking!

he was getting rattled up against the french. He needs to eat alot of meat before he comes back

neigh

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

He's still 18st +

He'll be hitting the 20st mark if he does fill out...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm

wow he would be a beast!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Im repeating myself but if i was Lancs id be pestering the life out of Saints...telling to make him a lineout demon.

He's never in my opinon gonna be a Botha or a Johnson etc the enforcer type. He could be a very aggresive and physical lineout guy though...

HIm and Launchbury could be a very effective unit if lawes lineout was as effective as Parlings.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im repeating myself but if i was Lancs id be pestering the life out of Saints...telling to make him a lineout demon.

He's never in my opinon gonna be a Botha or a Johnson etc the enforcer type. He could be a very aggresive and physical lineout guy though...

HIm and Launchbury could be a very effective unit if lawes lineout was as effective as Parlings.
'

I think you're dead right on him being a lineout lock. The thing about Lawes for me is he looks like he has a thin 'trunk'. It's good to see our players aren't the pasty eaters of old but he doesn't look like he has a lot of lower body strength as a result (wouldn't tell him that mind). As everyone says, he also carries too upright.

What about Garvey Geordie?!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next