The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UFC 129 Results

Go down

UFC 129 Results Empty UFC 129 Results

Post by Adam D Sun May 01, 2011 10:45 am

From ESPN.com
(source article: click)

In another clinical performance sure to feed the flames of his critics, Georges St. Pierre remained welterweight champion.

St. Pierre kept the fight standing and went 25 minutes with Jake Shields, retaining his title with another unanimous decision in the UFC 129 main event on Saturday before 55,000 fans -- a record crowd for a mixed martial arts event in North America -- at the Rogers Centre in Toronto. Scores were 50-45, 48-47 and 48-47 for the French-Canadian, who extended his career-best winning streak to nine.

Still, St. Pierre did not escape unscathed. Shields landed stiff jabs and right crosses, at times almost at will. One of them left St. Pierre with damage to his left eye.

Aldo made to work against Hominick

A grueling encounter between world-class featherweights left Mark Hominick with a tennis ball-sized hematoma on his forehead and champion Jose Aldo barely able to stand.
In the co-main event, Aldo retained his title after 25 grueling minutes of hand-to-hand combat with the Canadian, securing a unanimous decision and, with it, a 12-fight winning streak. All three cageside judges scored it for the Brazilian: 50-43, 48-46 and 49-46. In defeat, Hominick won the champion's respect.

"You've got to take your hat off and give it up for Mark Hominick," Aldo said. "He's a hell of a fighter. I knew he had good standup skills, but I came with my muay Thai [and was] very prepared."

Aldo controlled vast stretches of the fight with his chopping low kicks, takedowns and power punches. He grounded Hominick four times in the first two rounds, opening a horizontal cut below the eye with a short, digging elbow. In Round 3, Aldo wobbled the challenger with a crisp left hook and dropped him with a straight right hand-left hook combination. He showered Hominick with hammerfists, but the courageous Canadian stayed in the fight, recaptured full guard and recovered from the onslaught.

Machida front kick knocks Couture into retirement

Former light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida borrowed a page from teammate Anderson Silva's playbook, as he knocked out hall of famer Randy Couture with a spectacular jumping front kick in the second round. Couture, in his final Octagon appearance, bowed out 65 seconds into Round 2.

Matyushenko Finishes Brilz in 20 Seconds
Former International Fight League light heavyweight champion Vladimir Matyushenko has plenty left in the old tank.

The 40-year-old Belarusian needed just 20 seconds to take out Jason Brilz in their featured matchup at 205 pounds. A brutal right uppercut behind the ear and a follow-up straight left dropped Brilz, and Matyushenko pounced with a series of hammerfists that finished it. It was the second-quickest stoppage of his 14-year career.

Henderson takes decision from Bocek

Former WEC lightweight champion Benson Henderson made the most of his UFC debut, as he outwrestled, outworked and out-struck Mark Bocek, earning a unanimous decision nod from the judges. Scores were 30-27 across the board for Henderson, who won for the 11th time in 12 fights.

Henderson dominated Bocek in the clinch, stayed out of trouble on the ground and landed the more potent strikes when the two exchanged standing. He escaped an attempted anaconda choke from the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt in the second round and unleashed an angry string of knees and elbows that left Bocek bleeding from the top of the head.

Other results:

Brilliant MacDonald dominates Diaz

Ellenberger counter flattens Pierson

Patrick outpoints Roberts; streak reaches 13

Menjivar stops Valencia in 90 seconds

MacDonald Submits Jensen

Garza triangle submits Jabouin

Makdessi KOs Watson with spinning- back fist

For full write ups and a brief clip of highlights from the GSP fight, please visit the link at the top taking you to ESPN.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

UFC 129 Results Empty Re: UFC 129 Results

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 pm

I just watched the GSP vs Shields & even though it was a stand up fight I found it boring. Quite possibly the injury to GSP's eye made him fight in a more conservative way & the fight turned out that way. Had that type of injury not occurred or not as early do you think the fight would've been a whole lot different? I have read some criticism's of his performances since he was beaten but you cant blame the guy for his safety first approach, a win is a win & he's still the champ.

Gonna see if I can get the Couture fight on youtube now.

Back to top Go down