The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are modern players a bunch of crybabies

+2
User 774433
socal1976
6 posters

Go down

Are modern players a bunch of crybabies Empty Are modern players a bunch of crybabies

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:31 am

Honestly, sometimes I think the modern player is just too coddled and too sensitive. They seem to need everything to be catered to them or work out perfectly. The money in the game is unprecedented, the accuracy of the officiating today is also unprecedented, as is the sportsmanship of the players. Rarely does anyone even do anything controversial anymore. Again in the semi we saw Almagro go at nadal with a passing shot and Nadal took exception. The fact that Nadal took exception seemed to upset apologetic almagro and he lost what had been a very close set. First off, why is Nadal upset that he nearly got pegged at the net. Second of all why does Almagro act like he just wronged Nadal and tank mentally after that. I have been plugged with the tennis ball at net on a number of occassions, usually my opponent apologizes and I just smile and say no need it is part of the game. The ball right at the volleyer is a very effective counter-measure to a net rush, it is a safe way to induce a weak volley or an error that you can exploit. Now it seems as if someone goes at a player at the net some crime is committed. Nadal turned his back on almagro and yelled some stuff at him on the next point from across the net in spanish. Nico was way too apologetic. It is a freaking tennis ball not a baseball that is hard as rock and could theoretically kill you. It is part of the game and why exactly is not seen as such a terrible crime. I loved it when Murray hit right at roger after federer cursed at him. And credit to Roger he didn't act like a big sissy and get disgruntled, he just walked back and played the next point as nothing had happened, and frankly nothing had. If getting hit wih a fuzzy little tennis ball is too much for you to handle or hurts your tender sensibilites than maybe you should not play tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Are modern players a bunch of crybabies Empty Re: Are modern players a bunch of crybabies

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:12 am

He didn't yell anything about Almagro???

Not sure which match you were watching. Almagro aimed at him, Nadal then turned away after Almagro said sorry. There was no conversation as far as I can see.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Are modern players a bunch of crybabies Empty Re: Are modern players a bunch of crybabies

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:15 am

Nadal looked bitchey, why was he acting all bitchy and mumbling stuff in spanish after that. And more importantly why did Almagro care?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:17 am

socal1976 wrote:Nadal looked bitchey, why was he acting all bitchy and mumbling stuff in spanish after that. And more importantly why did Almagro care?
I'm not sure he mumbled anything, he just seemed to turn his back to Almagro.
And why should Almagro care? Because Nadal is his boss Whistle

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:20 am

That is the problem, Almagro should have been like yeah I hit you and you come up there again I'll hit you again. Instead he capitulated like a little panty boy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:21 am

Nadal looked upset by the way IMBL and he was mumbling stuff in spanish to Almagro the start of the next point, lets get a translation and find out what he said I would be interested.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:21 am

Socal, can you get a link?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:22 am

btw Almagro was perfectly entitled to do what he did.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:29 am

No just watched the match earlier today on DVR. I don't see why you even have to apologize for hitting at your opponent, why is it now seen as a bad thing?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:32 am

socal1976 wrote:No just watched the match earlier today on DVR. I don't see why you even have to apologize for hitting at your opponent, why is it now seen as a bad thing?
Frankly Almagro should apologise every time he wins a point against Nadal. Nadal is his boss.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:33 am

Sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I'm really tired. This is late morning UK time, I wouldn't normally me up at this time if not for a Rafa match Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:41 am

Good for you I have spent many a sleepless night celebrating Djokovic wins. The Acapulco 500 is a big tournament no joke, about time the golden swing got some credit.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:43 am

LAL
In all honestly Mexico Open isn't really a big tournament. What I am surprised about is how on earth Nadal managed to play so well, and beat Ferrer the way he did. Normally Nadal-Ferrer matches on clay are tight affairs, in 2012 they were anyway (apart from at FO).

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:46 am

It is the jewel of the mexican riviera you know that IMBL. Ferrer in all honesty didn't play well, but frankly the news about Nadal's demise was highly premature. The golden era lives as the third rolls royce purrs beautifully on all 12 cylinders of its engine.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

socal1976 wrote:It is the jewel of the mexican riviera you know that IMBL. Ferrer in all honesty didn't play well, but frankly the news about Nadal's demise was highly premature. The golden era lives as the third rolls royce purrs beautifully on all 12 cylinders of its engine.

And as you have designated a whole article on bitching about Nadal having a bit of a moan big deal !!! (makes a change from Fed Ill grant you) you are now so very obviously pleased to see him back firing on all 12 cylinders (I think he carries a spare in his bag actually) .. should keep everyone on their toes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:02 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:
socal1976 wrote:It is the jewel of the mexican riviera you know that IMBL. Ferrer in all honesty didn't play well, but frankly the news about Nadal's demise was highly premature. The golden era lives as the third rolls royce purrs beautifully on all 12 cylinders of its engine.

And as you have designated a whole article on bitching about Nadal having a bit of a moan big deal !!! (makes a change from Fed Ill grant you) you are now so very obviously pleased to see him back firing on all 12 cylinders (I think he carries a spare in his bag actually) .. should keep everyone on their toes
Socal is hardly bitching about Nadal... he is talking about how this is reflected in most of the players on the ATP tour. If not anything Socal is saying that Almagro shouldn't be so apologetic.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

IMBL You have a wonderful habit of answering for other people... you read what you want into his comments and I will do likewise. OK censored

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:13 am

Whistle
I am sure he will confirm that my interpretation is correct Are modern players a bunch of crybabies 3559488474

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

I dont care about your interpretation.. my remarks were not addressed to you. Socal is more than able in my experience to argue his own corner and can well hold his own with anyone on this forum. So .. again at the risk of being accused of being diva IMBL..Ill speak to the organ grinder if you dont mind

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 11:21 am

Haddie-nuff wrote:I dont giive a toss about your interpretation.. my remarks were not addressed to you. Socal is more than able in my experience to argue his own corner and can well hold his own with anyone on this forum. So .. again at the risk of being accused of being diva IMBL..Ill speak to the organ grinder if you dont mind
Alas, forgive me H-n rose

Are modern players a bunch of crybabies 3559488474

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:30 pm

another name change? I can't keep up!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

LuvSports! wrote:another name change? I can't keep up!
In 2 years I've changed it twice, hardly that much. Amritia3ee~IMBL~Red

On OTF I had to change it quite a few times as they somehow managed to find my facebook account, so I had to change it to a full-stop or G so people can't track it down.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 03 Mar 2013, 1:56 pm

Even if it is 2 years.... still more than most.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 2:01 pm

Indeed it is thumbsup

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 03 Mar 2013, 3:45 pm

Almagro hit at Berdych, and Berdych went all hoity-toity at the end @AO. Big boys at 6'+ cannot handle a fuzzy yellow ball. Laugh

The US coverage of the match indicated what SoCal is referring to, perhaps other channels did not discuss the incident.

If Almagro groveled for mercy, Nadal as the King of Clay, did issue a graceful pardon. I am sure Almagro will try it again anyway.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:03 pm

I have trawled the internet and cannot find any report on the match that mentions the incident.. my take is this is making yet another mountain out of a molehill.. if it was Djokovic the incident would not have been mentioned.
The last episode of an on court incident ie. Murray v Federer went into a discussion thread that went on for days.
So Rafa had the hump !! Almagro made no fuss about it so whats the big deal.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:23 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

I have to keep up the guise as a super secret Nadal fan, for appearances sake I don't want to add to emancipator's super secret file on my Nadal fandom. It isn't a big deal but when did hitting at net rushers become such a terrible thing for the modern players. Berdych acted as if Almagro took a punch at him at the AO two years ago.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:29 pm

Yes, Nadal did look upset, the american broadcasters made a big deal about it and almagro got all apologetic and lost his aggression. This is what I saw Haddie and it troubles me that a valid tactic like hitting at a net rusher is something that Almagro would apologize about and that Nadal would not acknowledge him and turn his back on the apology and then start mumbling in spanish. The body language is apparent if you watched the match. Either way I found both players conduct a little weird. If anything Almagro was the most befuddling in his conduct. Be a man and don't get upset if you are hit at and be a competitor and don't apologize for making a good play if you are the guy doing the hitting.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:32 pm

If I remember my days playing top Badminton Tournaments Socal.. yes the ultimate shot (in desperation) was to hit it directly at your opponent .. not something I and others liked to do it wasn´t cricket so to speak. Unsportsmanlike but when needs must the devil drives.. and I think possibly that is how it is viewed.. but then (I didn´t see it so I dont know) Almagro was on break point I believe...I dont think Rafa would have thrown a hissy for being hit by a ball.. not Rafa´s style. But Nico has a reputation for having rather a nasty paddy .. and maybe Rafa swore at him in Spanish.. Rafa is no angel but neither is Nico-

Anyway in this case I forgive you Socal... Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:37 pm

http://m.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros-Wimbledon-2011/Nicolas-Almagro.aspx

This is quite an insightful article about Almagro

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

Oh don't get me wrong Haddie I don't think it is a big deal but when has this change happened that you can't use a tactic that is effective because it might make your opponent hurt for 3 seconds because you hit him with a fuzzy yellow ball. When did this happen on the tour, is it that neutered?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 03 Mar 2013, 4:48 pm

Well that will be the next thing wont it... ??? along with time penalties..they used to have raquet abuse once..now may be we will get misuse of the "little yellow fluffy thingys " and "no throwing sweaty towels at the ball boys" ... should make for good viewing at any rate. With any luck we might see some tennis

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

You made a mountain out of the mole hole. picard

I watched the match full, Almagro played great yet Rafe beat him with ease, never at any point Almagro capitulated its just Rafa never let him get on top of him inspite of giving several break points.

Back to incident, its very natural with Rafa's reaction, the ball came like a bullet and could have hurt Rafa so his reflexes made him look stunned coz thats what saved him, he didn't mumble anything.
On Mugro's part he apologized coz he thought his shot might have hurt his opponent , while the intention was clear to win the point he didn't have the intention to hurt his opponent physically and hence the apology, its perfectly natural reaction again.

Socal you linked non-story to make a judgement for an era. picard

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

Invisible what are you talking about, have you been hit by a tennis ball, has it ever really hurt you and is there a threat of injury to Nadal from being hit by that tennis ball? No absolutely not, it isn't a baseball or a hockey puck. Second I don't even use the word era and I have noticed that player's in general today do have a different attitude towards being hit at then in the past. Remeber the berdych v. almagro issue from the AO where he refused to shake almagro's hand because Nicholas hit at him? Did I make that up as well?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 05 Mar 2013, 2:37 am

socal1976 wrote:Invisible what are you talking about, have you been hit by a tennis ball, has it ever really hurt you and is there a threat of injury to Nadal from being hit by that tennis ball? No absolutely not, it isn't a baseball or a hockey puck. Second I don't even use the word era and I have noticed that player's in general today do have a different attitude towards being hit at then in the past. Remeber the berdych v. almagro issue from the AO where he refused to shake almagro's hand because Nicholas hit at him? Did I make that up as well?

Well Berdych is one of those shiitiest attitude player on the tour, he had problems with Rafa, Federer, Mugro and many , so he can't be used as a barrier to decide anything.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down