The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!!

+18
Danny_1982
kingraf
LuvSports!
Positively 4th Street
hawkeye
Henman Bill
laverfan
Haddie-nuff
carrieg4
ALPanorak
HM Murdock
Silver
JuliusHMarx
Born Slippy
lags72
lydian
quietplease
socal1976
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!! - Page 3 Empty Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!!

Post by socal1976 Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Djoko, Murray in the same half. Del po is in murray's quarter, Tsonga is in Djoko's quarter, and ferrer v. Berdy in the other quarter. But of course everyone will be talking about the Fedal quarterfinal. I love it, poor Hawkeye first Murray wins a slam and now Federer and Nadal set to battle not in a semi, but in a quarter. My commiserations Hawkeye. Interesting possible second round match as Djokovic most likely will play Fogninniiiii!!!!!!!! Maybe the most anticipated second round match in the history of the masters.

Well now we will get to see how far along that leg is for Nadal, I really do hope for the sake of his fans, the sport as a whole, and himself that he can catch a break and the leg holds for a long time. This might be a good time for fed to pick up a win in their h2h, but frankly I don't think so. Nadal is putting up incredible numbers holding 93 percent of the time and breaking 36 percent of the time, that is winning 64 percent of the games he plays and on the men's tour that is a big number. To me his shotmaking looks as good as ever. The serve and backhand in particular look frightening. If Nadal remains healthy he will be a top contender for all the remaining slams.

Interesting, I don't know if this is something IW is doing or if this is for all the masters. They have expanded the field and given all 32 seeds byes in the first round. As opposed to in the past when the top 8 players received byes. The winner will take home a cool million by far, far the biggest payday of any regular masters, making Indian wells 6th million dollar payday tournament on tour.

Murray and Djoko have somewhat easier quarters, I would rate Fed's the toughest quarter, although really only Nadal is particularly menacing, but in terms of depth of talent Ferrer probably has the toughest quarter. Can we set this charade aside and just seed Nadal 4 at the least?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!!

Post by User 774433 Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:23 pm

Silver, make a thread Wink

(I'm Amritia btw)

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Indian wells the draw is out and lookey, lookey we could have a fedal quaterfinal!!!

Post by The Special Juan Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:50 pm

I'm never talking about Brits again..................... Poor Hev and Laura fell apart
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

Socal- a look at the 100m winners since 1968 shows the majority of winners being 5'11 - 6'2. Bolt aside.

But Messi isnt an outlier for football is he?
Pele 5'8
Maradona 5'6
Romario 5'6

Even in modern football there are plenty.
Mata
Aaron Lennon
Xavi
Iniesta
Dani Alves
Jordi Alba
Theo Walcott

He does not stick out historically, nor is he dwarfed by his contempraries.

LeBron runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6s. While this is very good for a 6'8 250lbs train, it is hardly impressive in actual speed terms. It certainly wouldnt cause a second glance in track meet. By comparison. Cristiano Ronaldo ran 96 metres in 10s, while Theo Walcott, at 5'7-8 could reportedly run the 100m in 9.94s.
Running on heavy grass in football boots, Walcott did 40 metres (about 44 yards) in 4.7s.
I admittedly have no idea as to how fast Djokovic can run, but as the saying goes "Tennis is a game of anticipation. If you put a tennis player in a foot race against a bunch of schoolgirls he would come last'.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

no way ronaldo and walcott ran it that quick!
Do you have proof?
Thierry henry reportedly ran the 100m in around 11 seconds and i think he was faster than ronaldo.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

I agree with luvsports, kingraf I have read a lot of 40 and 100 meter reports on athletes that later turn out bogus or you have heard of other speed counts for the same guy. Even in track wind and inaccurate guns can give you weird readings. Lebron james at six eight and he is bigger than 250, much bigger would beat 90 out of 100 guys in the top 100 maybe 85 out of the top 100 in a 40 yard dash. I have seen all these guys play up close and only the very, very fast tennis pros compare to james speed.

Walcott is faster no doubt and so is Ronaldo, but not by that much when you consider one guy has nearly 100 pounds of solid muscle on walcott and a foot of height. What Lebron 260, Walcott 160 pounds max! I ran track in high school, I was a crappy sprinter. But we had a guy in our high school who had 10.6 speed and in our meets across all of CA we saw guys down in the low 10s. No way walcott is running 100 meters, and I am a huge walcott fan in anything approaching that speed. My best estimate would be he is a mid 10s possibly 10.3 100 meters at best, at best. That is really freaking fast for a sprinter. The state Champion in CA which is a state of 40 million people, and has a history of producing lots of olympic medalists in sprinting the winner of the state championship is usually between 10.0-10.3 seconds in hundred meters. Walcott is about as fast as those guys, not faster. Hell if he ran the 100 that fast he would have a chance at a medal.

It is just raw speed for athletics it is about the mix of speed, size, and height. Lebron is probably in flat speed about as fast as murray and djoko and I have seen all three live at relatively close up, and in agility he is very close as well.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm

Ronaldo ran the 96 metres vs Atletico Madrid in December. some news sites claim it was 9.85

m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GnIXbsQRiU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3GnIXbsQRiU

newsbom.com/sport/209452.html

Wether you think Henry to have been faster is your perception but it doesnt change the reality. In fact, Wenger has been quoted as saying Walcott is faster over 40m than Henry.
mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Theo-Walcott-shatters-Thierry-Henry-s-Arsenal-40-metre-sprint-record-article267131.html

rose tinted specs are only natural
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

Socal,
Its obvious that the reason athletes put out differing times for their sprint times is because they are not sprinters, thus they cannot reproduce the same mechanisms required for optimal perfomance in the way Bolt, or Blake can. Its the same reason I shot a 69 at my local club a month ago, but havent been north of 75 since.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

By the way Lebron's best time, before 9 years of NBA play and a lot of wear and tear as high school football player was reported to be 4.4 seconds at six foot eight inches of height. That would smoke pretty much anyone on tour.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm

Yes those well respected sources....
Until he does a timed 100m i won't believe he can run that fast, most footy players imo would be closer to 11 seconds than 10.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:33 pm

The same excuse (wear and tear at the highest level) is applicable to all athletes. Ronaldo has been a professional athlete for 11 years.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:43 pm

which do you doubt? your eye sight or the clock? The video hasnt been doctored, and is widely available all over the net. I'm not sure which part you cant comprehend.

dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2242229/Cristiano-Ronaldo-runs-nearly-fast-Usain-Bolt-100m.html

Really it's no secret, this was done at a PUBLIC football match, in front of a GLOBAL audience. I don't see how this is an internet conspiracy to make CR7 a sprinter.
A few points:
The video is widely available, you are welcome to use your own stop watch
How fast the FOOTBALLER runs has no bearing on an outlier.
You didn't know Walcott was faster than Henry, so your naked eye and opinion are no more valid than anything I posted
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:51 pm

wow someone's panties are in a twist.

Did i say henry was faster than walcott? No, you just assumed I didn't know that, so in that case you are wrong.

You seem a bit grumpy so I don't feel like engaging in this topic with you.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:05 pm

Not at all, I just dont understand how you can dissmiss it off hand, despite evidence to the contrary.
Again, wether you agree with me or not does not change the facts. This is not an opinon raised i.e. Messi vs CR7. Rather it is an acknowledged (world-wide might I add) happening seen before a global audience. Again if you think me, or my sources a liar, take out a stop watch and time it yourself. it wont take more than 11 seconds by your average.

Nowhere in my original comment did I say Ronaldo laced up some spikes and went 9.85 on the tar. In fact he didnt even run the accepted distance of 100m, but it doesnt change the fact that he ran 96metres in 10 seconds, having already run about 7 km. If you choose to believe that Henry is faster than Ronnie, good for you. Maybe he runs 100m in 6 seconds. I dont know.

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

LuvSports
Keep in mind
He wasnt in motion when the clock started, and he kinda walked until he realised the counter was on

He already ran about 7km already at this point

He has to slow down to make proper contact with the ball at the end

He is on freaking grass

The clock was not on his mind at the time

I think on a dry track, unfatigued, CR7 probably ghosts in at very close to 10 seconds.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm

Kingraf, I think you are underestimating how damn fast a near 10 second hundred meters is. My gut instinct and we can argue about the times that are reported, as I have said I have seen numerous reported speeds that conflict on star athletes outside of track in 100 meters and 40 times. That is why the NFL combine is great they clock and record everything the guys do down scientifically. While Ronaldo is fast I would be stunned if he was around 10.0 flat I have seen him play football for years and while always impressed with his speed have never thought him to be anything approaching that pace. Until I see him timed on a track I think it will be hard for me to believe, not that I doubt your veracity in the least.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:23 pm

Thoughts on the LBJ doping allegations, Socal? Cant imagine LeBron doping, but Nike seems to have a serious inability to pick enduring stars

Last edited by kingraf on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sent the wrong post)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:43 pm

everyone's on the hot sauce.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

kingraf wrote:Thoughts on the LBJ doping allegations, Socal? Cant imagine LeBron doping, but Nike seems to have a serious inability to pick enduring stars

Well I don't know about Doping, Lebron has been famous since he was an 18 year old junior in highschool, everyone knew he was the next king of basketball when he was like 16 or 17. Even as a teenager he was just a freakishly built athlete. I don't know if he is doping or isn't doping, frankly my position on PEDs in sports is as follows. I assume every athlete is doping, and I just don't care that much. That way I can just watch the sports without getting too wrapped up in scandal and innuendo. I never watched a second of Lance Armstrong cycling, never bought his effeminate looking bracelets or idolized him. Maybe that is why I don't feel a need to tear him down now because I never viewed him as some super human to begin with. My policy on PEDs is really that I just don't care. I have no idea who is or isn't, but if someone specifically attacks any athlete without proof then I do take offense and will defend said athlete. If you want to name names you better show me a dirty test.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:50 pm

LuvSports! wrote:everyone's on the hot sauce.
I'm not.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

Hot sauce? Sounds like a Chinese takeaway.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3