The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions?

+31
bsando
thomh
Cyril
Sin é
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
100%beefy
king_carlos
Luckless Pedestrian
Alex_Germany
welshboii15
sickofwendy
fa0019
The Great Aukster
Notch
Hound_of_Harrow
Totalflanker
reallybored
George Carlin
GunsGerms
Mad for Chelsea
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Solid8
lostinwales
dummy_half
funnyExiledScot
Bathman_in_London
RDW
sirtidychris
SecretFly
Kingshu
red_stag
35 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions? - Page 3 Empty Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions?

Post by red_stag Wed 06 Mar 2013, 11:28 am

First topic message reminder :

I have a gnawing worry that Ireland may be the least represented nation on the Lions panel this year.

We will probably see Healy, Best, Ryan, O'Brien, Heaslip, Sexton, O'Driscoll, Kearney but outside of that the cupboard looks bare either due to injury (O'Connell, Ferris, Bowe, Zebo).

With a number of Scots looking good enough to tour - Grant, Ford, Gray, Brown, Beattie, Laidlaw, Hogg, Visser, Maitland and maybe even even E.Murray or Rennie it has me wondering will the Irish have the least players on this Lions Tour?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions? - Page 3 Empty Re: Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 07 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

I thought Ashton equalled the record of 6, rather than setting a new record of 6.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions? - Page 3 Empty Re: Scots v Ireland: Who Will Have More Lions?

Post by Cyril Thu 07 Mar 2013, 4:51 pm

Here ya go.

8 C.N. Lowe (England: 1914 - *)
8 I.S. Smith (Scotland: 1925 - *)
6 Will Greenwood (England: 2001)
6 Iain Balshaw (England: 2001)
6 Philippe Bernat-Salles (France: 2001)
6 Shane Williams (Wales: 2008)
6 Chris Ashton (England: 2011)
5 Ben Cohen (England: 2000)
5 Austin Healey (England: 2000)
5 Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland: 2000)
5 Will Greenwood (England: 2002)
5 Vincent Clerc (France: 2008)
5 Tommy Bowe (Ireland: 2012)

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/six-nations/records

Yeah, luckless you're right Ashton did equal the 6 Nations record.

Balshaw!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

I suspect there will be more SH born players on this tour than Scots, making the Lions a joke and it will get worse in future tours. The team will be like the current England cricket team, full of SH players as the money is in the UK. I think this Lions tour may be a nail in the coffin for future tours we make be doing a Hakka before the games in four year time.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

For a centre Greenwood used to cross the whitewash a hell of a lot and often at important times! In 03 I'm pretty sure he scored crucial tries in both the SA pool game and the QF vs Wales.

Great news to hear POC may be returning in time for the HC QF's. Another player I'd love to see travel if he can prove himself (and stay fit).

4.Parling then one of POC/Evans/Charteris
5.Two of Gray, Hines, Ryan, Hamilton, Launchberry

That's how I view the pecking order in the second rows at the moment. It would be great to see one of POC or Evans get fit alongside Parling as a workhorse and an option to run the line-out. Paulie would also add some much wanted experience to the boiler room!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 07 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

Greenwood had a reading of the game that has rarely been bettered - England have yet to find a way to replace him.

Interesting - but fitting - that he's the only player to crop up twice on that list, even though for every try he scored he'd probably created at least one more.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Thu 07 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

Whoever is picked, The Lions will not be short of options up front. In keeping with this thread you could say that a pack picked from the following...

1. Healy/Grant, 2Best, 3Murray/Cross, 4Gray/Ryan, 5. Hamilton/McCarthy/O'Connell, 6. O'Brien/Harley, 7. Brown/Henry, 8. Beattie/Heaslip....

would give Aussie a good game.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

Hound find your choices at lock very interesting: I wouldn't like to see McCarthy or Hamilton or possibly O'Connell on tour.

Far from being a similar pairing I think Ryan and Gray would compliment each other very well.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Also at backrow I'd be happy enough to just play a left and right flanker (Wood and Robshaw) with a good ball carrying number 8.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 09 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

After today not many forwards, they were stuffed in every area. I thought Weir had a good game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 10 Mar 2013, 8:40 am

glamorganalun wrote:After today not many forwards, they were stuffed in every area. I thought Weir had a good game.

Really?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:35 am

Hopefully Richie Gray's injury isn't too serious - hamstring injury which can be tricky but at least it isn't a break or ligaments as first feared.

I think he's had a very strong tournament - he is very physical now and puts a massive shift in. At 6ft 10 he's handy to have in a lineout too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

Yeah he's been very consistent. Hope his injury isn't bad and he manages to get picked.

I think Beattie is in with a good chance for the lions. He looked great yesterday in game where not much happened. Caught balls well ,apart from one that was obviously being swirled by the wind a lot. He looked good going into contact and he was very powerful. His presence in the scrum has been very useful. Mean while, was Faletau even playing yesterday? Heaslip looked good though and I think he'll be in with a good chance too, probably a better one than Beattie.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:44 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hopefully Richie Gray's injury isn't too serious - hamstring injury which can be tricky but at least it isn't a break or ligaments as first feared.

I think he's had a very strong tournament - he is very physical now and puts a massive shift in. At 6ft 10 he's handy to have in a lineout too!

Yeah unlike Hamilton who was a complete liability yesterday !
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:00 pm

right now i see few Lions from both sides...Kearney is coming back but with Hogg and Half in the mix I woudl say he will travel but not start. Can Zebo go off one perf probably, BOD....just not sure now his body looks like it is failing. I see Laidlaw as the 4th 9 and 10 cover and so for me only really Sexton is a definite. Up front well Heaslip honestly no, Faletau Morgan and Brown for me. I like Best and Healy but that is about it on form.

From Sctoland well I am sorry to say the hubris has been revealed. From the back line maybe, maybe Visser. Hogg goes of course. Up front Gray and even he hasn't been rampaging. Brown goes and maybe Beattie and i am sure there will be a prop but none stand out.

Pretty poor really from both sides which is a pity because both teams have offered some excellent rugby - Ire first half v Wales was superb, Scotland have been dogged but there rugby has been very unattractive.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3