The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best player in the world at the moment?

+19
Taylorman
GunsGerms
RuggerRadge2611
marty2086
Pal Joey
gregortree
Knowsit17
LondonTiger
youngguns6
lostinwales
MarcusHalberstram
thebluesmancometh
Barney McGrew did it
bedfordwelsh
Biltong
Geordie
nathan
Cyril
t1000advancedprototype
23 posters

Go down

Best player in the world at the moment?  Empty Best player in the world at the moment?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:21 pm

Leigh Halfpenny. Hands down. Certainly the most versatile back in world rugby at the moment.

Doesn't miss a tackle.
Commits his body.
World class kicking.
Sidestep and finisher.
Boy got gas.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Best player in the world at the moment?  Empty Re: Best player in the world at the moment?

Post by Cyril Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:23 pm

Hmm. Nope.

He should make the Lions as a back-up to cover wing and full-back. He's good as a kicking option too.

He needs to sort out the charge-downs.

Possibly Wales' best player at the moment though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Best player in the world at the moment?  Empty Re: Best player in the world at the moment?

Post by nathan Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

The best player in the world at the moment...... No, not a chance.

One of the best players in the world at the moment, possibly yes.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

Nope its Jimmy Gopperth...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

Earl Rose. End of.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

Best Player in world - Nope

Best in Europe - Nope

Guaranteed Lions tour spot - Yes

Lions Starter - Hell of a chance

Mr Consistent - Yes

Brave beyond his size - YES
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:12 pm

I think I know this one - is the answer Robshaw?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:14 pm

Try again Barney!!

Is 1/2p best player in the world? No, but is he up there with the bravest and most effective? yes!

Unless people still want to make a case for Dagg being far better Run

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

BedfordWelsh - agreed

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 09 Mar 2013, 6:32 pm

BedfordWelsh +1

His importance to Wales does skew certain people's judgement of him

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

Even without his kicking hes still a quality player. Takes the right option and is very strong defensively. A lot of rugby to be played buy at the moment he's the lions 15.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

lostinwales wrote:His importance to Wales does skew certain people's judgement of him
A very good point. He stood out for Wales during that long, win-less spell and was one of the only players to come out with any credit. That tends to artificially increase his reputation.

Very good player though. Not so good with the boot for a while today.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Try again Barney!!

Is 1/2p best player in the world? No, but is he up there with the bravest and most effective? yes!

Dagg easily. Playing well in the 6N- by its nature cannot make you the best player in the world. And not one poster agrees with the OP. nice.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

Tell that to Savea taylorman...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:06 pm

good isnt he...worlds best winger you say? good point blue

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:09 pm

pfft any Tom dick and Harry can look good in a substandard, low intensity competition like Super Rugby Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

I would actually agree with you there (as I did last autumn) Savea is class, but you don't see humiliation like that often, and Daggs season is going form bad to worse so early!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

Perhaps, but in switching between channels during the matches, I was sure one was stuck on slow mo...couldnt quite work that one out.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

Laugh You were mistaking golf for the Tah's again weren't you, it's easily done they have been awfull!!!

PS was the game itself any good, I only caught highlights.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

I'm not sure anybody can currently stake a claim for best player in the world. Nobody seems to be playing consistently to their full potential or, to see it more optimistically, maybe that's a sign of greater competition between positions and individuals.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote: Laugh You were mistaking golf for the Tah's again weren't you, it's easily done they have been awfull!!!

PS was the game itself any good, I only caught highlights.

Same. Hit the sack after the Highlanders match to watch the overnight ones but the Tahs look well off the pace. Agree theres not a lot of star power at the moment and I'm glad we have several new players on the rise to look out for- many on for the Blues Bulls match later today. The ABs for one are going to look very different by 2015 based on the first couple of rounds here.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:30 pm

The oz team might look totally reworked for the lions tour too, with the likes of Hooper/Gill (Smith really??!!??!?) Mogg, and who's that big winger for the Tahs? and that tasty centre.

JOC looked like he was regaining a few touch's of class too.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

JOC is class- really taken to the game- he was the biggest missed last year judging by his recent matches. I see hes still trying to get rid of that Justin Bieber look too. Very Happy

Folau? Too soon to tell and his sides on the losing end so far. Oz will have several new players as some have been around a while. Deans reliance on the up and down Cooper will be interesting as he carries a huge risk factor with form and confidence. But judging by the Oz sides in the sxv so far I think theyre going to struggle again this year- bar the Brumbies who look to be working wel under White.

With Smith and the Chiefs and now JK and GH with the Blues top quality coaching really does make a massive difference. Its no coincidence that between the 3 sides that they have all won world cups.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

Steve Walsh played a blinder today. clap
Joubert was poo. Doh

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

It is a good point, although Cheiks has barely just arrived, the tah's were always going to take time to get going.

Is it Folau? If it's the guy I'm thinking of he's going to be an absolute star!!!

The Aus teams seem like theyre lacking some real dynamism up front, wheres Higginbotham? And how is Folatau Nau? Moore, Alexander and Robinson don't look in great shape, and I'm not seeing a natural succesor to Sharpe!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

Higginbotham is with the Rebels this year, doing his best in a struggling side.
TPN injured his leg last night. Robinson & Alexander had a nice little contest too. I can't believe Alexander stomped on his Wallaby teammate! Some healthy 'competition' for the Wallaby TH spot going on there.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm

Ye that Alexander stamp was awesome, although as he explained it Robinson didn't look too impressed on the way off the pitch did he?

Ye saw TPN go off injured, any news?

Higginbotham is a huge player for Oz, and massively underrated IMHO!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:15 pm

No news yet on TPN.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:23 pm

That Savea try where he bumped off 2 Crusaders defenders reminded me a little of Jonah. Not as big a JL I know - but he's got great balance with the ball in hand and the right bump technique. OK

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm

I said exactly the same thing when seeing the highlights this morning, listening to the comentators describe him a Rocko esque, he seemed far more destructive in contact!!!

I really hope he does a Bast and lets himself go a bit so he's not that destructive on the international stage too often!

What do you think of the Tah's winger Folau? (not 100% sure of his name)

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:33 pm

And is Mogg going to see Oz action soon?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm

Blues, he was a huge Star in the NRL. He may get a saloon passage into the Wallabies but will need to earn it. The problem is that the Tahs (and backs especially) are no comparison to the Melbourne Storm, Qld* or Kangaroo teams. That's why I said at the start - he needs to play 12 or 13, probably 13... but the other night he said he was happy to play wherever the coach puts him.

Cheika had a few words to say after the match (not about Izzy but in general) and I'd just like to see Folau closer to the action... a la SBW. He's equal or better than him (potentially in union, more so in league) and we will need him running and offloading better for the Tahs before RD (who also rates him very highly... he wants him in for sure) can justify him for Wallabies selection.

*He's from Sydney but a Melbourne scout poached him and they ensured he played his first NRL grade game in Qld. We are still hissing about that but we were too slow (or lacking astuteness) to lock him into a team here.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:And is Mogg going to see Oz action soon?

He's going very well. Nice to have him in such fine form should he be required for Tests.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm

Didn't realise he had such a big reputation, I think he looks like a potential star, but your right he spends too long in the wide wilderness when I think he'd do some real damage closer in.

Only seen him a few times though, but he's really caught my eye.

I like the look of Mogg but theres just something missing, I can't put my finger on it. He tends to step too much for some reason, and instead of pinning his ears back seems to look for more defenders to step.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:07 am

His reputation is building up in SXV but he's still pretty young. He is a zippy sort of runner; not a huge bloke but he's got a good turn of pace. Not sure how well he's been tested in defence though.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

I think Julian Savea has something to say about Dagg being the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RD4uAWAcKE

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:13 am

I think 2 of the best players in the world are in the worst performing team in the 6N.

Picomoles & Parra.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

Halfpenny is a very impressive guy. His conditioning is up there with the best in the world. I'd say his conditioning is on a par with Cian Healy who is a prop with a sixpack. Puts Medard, Waldrom etc. to shame.

He is very grounded, diciplined, committed, brave, skillfull and smart. Very impressive individual. I think he is one of the best players in the world right now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:

I think Julian Savea has something to say about Dagg being the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RD4uAWAcKE

Yes...but how come it takes another current AB to do this? and would other FB's seriously done a lot better? Doubt it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:11 pm

I really dont think their is any NH player who could be called the best in the world.

Halfpenny if probably the(BEST)in Wales. And will more than like be the first/second name on the Lions tour.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:34 pm

My ageing mother called me after the Scotland game and said that she was so proud of young Leigh Halfpenny. She told me how she liked the fact that he didn't give up after missing three kicks in a row. She went on to rave about how lovely and polite he was in after match interviews before finally informing me that he was by far the best player in the world at the moment.

Now I'm not sure that recommendation ranks as a valid evaluation of young Leigh's standing in world rugby but if it's good enough for my mother, it's good enough for me. thumbsup

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:40 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I really dont think their is any NH player who could be called the best in the world.

Halfpenny if probably the(BEST)in Wales. And will more than like be the first/second name on the Lions tour.

I think Cian Healy is the best loose head prop in the world.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 11 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

Halfpenny is in great form.. Would like to see him back his pace a bit more.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 11 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

I think Halfpenny is a terrific player, but not the best in the world (he's taking a rest).

Arguably the most consistent performer, along with Parisse, in the NH. Maybe it's the coaches' instructions to kick the ball, but Halfpenny rarely challenges the defence by having a run at them.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down