The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only

+6
KO-KING
Diamond in the rough
milkyboy
Snakeyman123
ONETWOFOREVER
Seanusarrilius
10 posters

Go down

The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only Empty The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only

Post by Seanusarrilius Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:27 pm

Ok, simple really. Who are the fighters with the best ring IQ?

For me, numero uno is Bernard Hopkins. Not just because of the way in which he has been able to adapt to his ageing body, but in general. Extremely well schooled and excellent at adapting to the style in front of him.

There are various others I would like to mention, but I will leave it you guys to add to the list

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only Empty Re: The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

Canelo Alverez

For someone so young he does have some decent ring smarts. Obviously its not surprising he has been a pro since 15.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only Empty Re: The Fighters With The Best Ring IQ -Active Fighters Only

Post by Snakeyman123 Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

Mayweather

Abril

Guerrero..

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:42 pm

Fmj
Jmm

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:50 pm

Ward doñaire

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Sun 10 Mar 2013, 3:51 pm

apart from those mentioned, Wladimir Klitchsko

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 10 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

Bernard Hopkins is the stand out candidate. Then you've got all those mentioned, plus Toney and Rigo.

Fighters with amazing defensive reflex or brilliant agility are often considered to have a high ring IQ. When in fact, they don't. What they have is amazing defensive reflex or brilliant agility.

I want to question the conventional definition of ring smarts (if there is one) and say:

I think any fighter who's aware of his strengths and weakness, and knows how to utilise them to best effect to achieve the win has a relatively high ring IQ (most successful boxers fall into that category).

Using this definition of ring IQ, an argument could be put forward for the least likely of candidates possessing it....

For instance, if Maidana is aware he's a power puncher and a limited plodder and he consciously chooses not to box like say, Devon Alexander then this is an intelligent decision? Naturally he'd be unable too........ but the point is he doesn't even try! That's ring intelligence. Knowing your strengths and weakness and using them to win. I know it's a crude example but hopefully I'm making my point.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are lots of boxers with extremely high ring IQ's who fall by the wayside because they don't have the physical attributes to actualise their thoughts.

I always thought Richie Woodall was an intelligent fighter.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 10 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

Dunno about that, everytime he fought a brit he was rooting for the other guy.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:27 pm

Ward and FMJ

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:41 pm

I'd probably add Malinaggi to the list.

He has had a few failures at the very top level but to have achieved what he has with his lack of power suggests a pretty clever fighter.

Always comes with a plan and normally comes through.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:56 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:Bernard Hopkins is the stand out candidate. Then you've got all those mentioned, plus Toney and Rigo.

Fighters with amazing defensive reflex or brilliant agility are often considered to have a high ring IQ. When in fact, they don't. What they have is amazing defensive reflex or brilliant agility.

I want to question the conventional definition of ring smarts (if there is one) and say:

I think any fighter who's aware of his strengths and weakness, and knows how to utilise them to best effect to achieve the win has a relatively high ring IQ (most successful boxers fall into that category).

Using this definition of ring IQ, an argument could be put forward for the least likely of candidates possessing it....

Correct MM hence selection of Guererro..adapted his style to beat Berto..Normally a classic boxer: showed he can rough it too...

For instance, if Maidana is aware he's a power puncher and a limited plodder and he consciously chooses not to box like say, Devon Alexander then this is an intelligent decision? Naturally he'd be unable too........ but the point is he doesn't even try! That's ring intelligence. Knowing your strengths and weakness and using them to win. I know it's a crude example but hopefully I'm making my point.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are lots of boxers with extremely high ring IQ's who fall by the wayside because they don't have the physical attributes to actualise their thoughts.

I always thought Richie Woodall was an intelligent fighter.

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down