The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Johnson: Should he get the job?

5 posters

Go down

Do you think Scott Johnson should get Scotland job full time?

Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Vote_lcap27%Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Vote_lcap73%Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 11

Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Empty Scott Johnson: Should he get the job?

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:30 am

I'm interested to see what other Scottish fans think before the France game this weekend. I'll give you my opinion... No.

Scott Johnson has been great in the interviews and his attitude has been really good. But as much as it makes me vomit I think Jiffy has a good point... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21651271

"But to analyse an international match [is different] because internationals are all about picking the right side and getting the right tactics right to win Test matches."

So far Scotland's tactics have been basic at best. In his first 6 Nations AR introduced a very effective gameplan that worked well for Scotland, and had we had the players we have now, it may well have earned Scotland their first 6N title. His tactics were very good, the players just couldn't finish off the games.

As a Scotland fan and a rugby fan, I want to see running rugby and Scotland winning games. I grew up in Aus watching tri nations/super 14 and i love quick ball, through the hands, running rugby. Obviously not every game can be like this due to the type of oppositions teams face and things like wet weather. And if Scotland win games through 29% possession, kicking every chance they get, that's fine with me, but only because they're winning. But the minute they do lose (like they did against Wales) I'll be first to criticise the tactics as being awful.

In my mind, the head coach should be adjusting tactics for each team he faces. Wales talked all week about the breakdown and how they would gain an advantage there. What does Johnson do? Gets forwards to Commit little or no men to the breakdown. When Tiperic came on it was carnage. Warburton and Tiperic took Scotland to pieces at the breakdown when scotland were forced to play the ball through hands with Wales 10 points in front.

One interesting thing Johnson complained about in post match interview was that Scotland only got one chance at an attacking line out and it was in the 2nd half. That to me suggests Johnson intends to primarily use the backs for set piece play in an attacking situation. In loose play it'Ll just be kicking, kicking and more kicking.

I just don't think these tactics will bode well for the future and Scotland are becoming horribly predictable already. Wales had our number in many areas of the game and I suspect France will too next weekend. Therefore, I think Johnson still has a lot to prove and the SRU should not just hire him full time because we managed to win two games in a row. There are better coaches out there in my opinion who will be up for the job.

So what are your opinions? Do you think Johnson will change tactics vs France? Or will it be more of the same? Do you think he is a long term solution? (outside of the press conferences that is). Do you like the way Scotland are playing just now?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Empty Re: Scott Johnson: Should he get the job?

Post by Allty Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:46 am

As a Welshman I think you should keep SJ

Regarding Do you like the way Scotland are playing just now?

I don't really like the way the game in the NH is going. The Bish Bash kick kick is ruining a game I once loved.

Its now no more than 15 aside League

Allty

Back to top Go down

Scott Johnson: Should he get the job? Empty Re: Scott Johnson: Should he get the job?

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:51 am

Yeah that opening weekend has been replaced with some pretty abysmal stuff. But I think the weather has had a part in it too tbh.

Why do you think Scotland should keep SJ?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:53 am

Now look mate, it's early doors yet and the guys are only just finding their feet on the paddock. Most of 'em are new to Scotland and many of them had never even heard of Edinbro til a coupla years ago.

Now look, we'll take a peek at the videos and we'll try to take some advice from what Skippy would have done.

I reckon we've done fair dinkum so far.

Crack me a a tinnie Bruce, this marine's dead...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:32 am

Hahaha! picard Nothing makes me cringe more than british peoples attempts at australian accent, even in writing its bloody awful haha.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:45 am

You should be an Englishman listening to what Australians consider 'English'. Wink

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Mar 2013, 7:48 am

I think an enormous amount depends on whether the SRU can persuade Dean Ryan to stay on as forwards coach. That is not currently likely based on Ryan's family commitments and pre-tournament interviews.

SJ has done enough to feature in the Scotland set up somewhere and the players obviously love him but I would be happy for him to resume his former role as attack coach if we could get someone like Mallett, Meehan, Rennie or Schmidt to be in charge.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:18 am

bsando wrote:Yeah that opening weekend has been replaced with some pretty abysmal stuff. But I think the weather has had a part in it too tbh.

Why do you think Scotland should keep SJ?

As a Welshman I like it when other sides have a poor Coach Very Happy

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

No - 3 wins is the minimum to be satisfied with.

He should be considered but not given the job without looking for an alternative.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 11:03 am

George Carlin wrote:I think an enormous amount depends on whether the SRU can persuade Dean Ryan to stay on as forwards coach. That is not currently likely based on Ryan's family commitments and pre-tournament interviews.

SJ has done enough to feature in the Scotland set up somewhere and the players obviously love him but I would be happy for him to resume his former role as attack coach if we could get someone like Mallett, Meehan, Rennie or Schmidt to be in charge.

I would be happy with that GC. He is a very likeable person, and I think his presence in the Scotland camp is a positive one. But not as head coach. Any of those names you've mentioned would be great.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down