The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The legacy of Scott Johnson

+7
Captain_Sensible
R!skysports
TJ
Knowsit17
Argybargy
Nematode
11 posters

Go down

Has Scott Johnson improved the Scottish national team to a satisfactory/representative level?

The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_lcap0%The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_lcap29%The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 8 ]
The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_lcap39%The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 11 ]
The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_lcap29%The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 8 ]
The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_lcap3%The legacy of Scott Johnson Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 28

Poll closed

The legacy of Scott Johnson Empty The legacy of Scott Johnson

Post by Nematode Sat 25 Jan 2014, 12:34 pm

So this 6 Nations will be the last tournament that we'll see SJ coach Scotland in (at least for now) with Vern Cotter taking over in June in time for the Summer Tour this year. But what will be the legacy of Scott Johnson?

Johnson took over following the pitiful loss to Tonga in Aberdeen under Andy Robinson.

It should be noted that in that game names such as Hogg, Visser, Scott, Laidlaw, Gray, Brown and Denton all played - key players for this coming tournament bar Visser. The only new recruits are really only in the SR and back three.

So what has he done?

Well he's kicked on and arguably added more of an attacking element to our play, albeit just a splash though. We're more threatening and he's not been afraid to introduce new talent like Seymour, Horne and Dunbar. Regarding defence, I cannot say it has really advanced much.  

The high point and indeed the pivotal moment in SJ's career was our defeat to SA in the summer 2013. It was the best performance that we've ever given* - we went for it and bullied the SA pack, just tiring in the last 20. That needed to be our future. But we've not matched that performance, that level that we're capable of. Indeed come the Autumn we were humiliated by SA.

So what can SJ be accredited of? Well I think he has got the best out of our team and certainly has shown us the right direction to be playing in. We can play physically, aggressively and abrasively and incorporate scything attacking runs into our play. Future combinations, like Scott and Dunbar have been tried, they just need to be tested now.

SJ, 6/10. You've taken us out of a rut and managed to get the best out of us, however, you haven't managed to consistently hold that level.

* With this crop of players, dating back to around 2009/10

Nematode

Back to top Go down

The legacy of Scott Johnson Empty Re: The legacy of Scott Johnson

Post by Argybargy Sat 25 Jan 2014, 5:38 pm

Wouldn't say we are at a satisfactory level yet - especially when our best performance ends in a loss (however unfortunate we were with the officiating).
I have never seen the intensity of that SA game repeated since then and feel we need to bring that to every game as well as the increased focus on running the ball.
5/10 for me.

Argybargy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sat 25 Jan 2014, 5:42 pm

Argybargy wrote:Wouldn't say we are at a satisfactory level yet - especially when our best performance ends in a loss (however unfortunate we were with the officiating).
I have never seen the intensity of that SA game repeated since then and feel we need to bring that to every game as well as the increased focus on running the ball.
5/10 for me.

For me he has shown glimmers but not sustained them or fully capitalised on them. Whether or not he is fully responsible, I would say we are more enjoyable to watch.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm

Scottish rugby seems to be stuck in a cycle of only producing god performances when we've been written off or it really, really matters or it's England at Murrayfield, this is the case we've every coach since the turn of the millenium and he hasn't changed this, in fact he's increased this, we were expected to beat Samoa - we didn't, we were expected to be pummelled by South Africa and we weren't, compare the performances against South Africa, following defeat we pushed them very close away with a second or third choice team in many positions after victory we were embarrassed at home with a, close to full strength, team.

Therefore Scott Johnson is a 4 or 5/10

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:36 pm

Beginning to have serious reservations about whether SJ is cut out for this level tbh. In a leading position he seems to inspire little and out of all the sides he's taken charge of I don't recall any noticeable improvement during his time there. Has had more success in an assistant's capacity, such as when he was working under Ruddock circa 2004-5.

He's had his moment in the sun helping Scotland secure a much better finish than usual, this coming tournament should do more to summarise his capabilities.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 26 Jan 2014, 9:07 pm

I always thought SJ was crap and have seen nothing to change that view. His only achievement - not being =Andy Robinson

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Jan 2014, 9:26 pm

I agree with numbers that we still don't win when it actually matters - Scotland's basic problem - and so 3/10. I think we should try notice last year was 3rd place but more importantly it was only 4 points. A good display against Italy and a sneak past Ireland all to show for a tournament, not the best is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

Still a poor run of results. Lacking in a clear playing style, playing players out of position, mixing and matching players and not blooding enough young uns

So for me he gets a 1 out of 10

Add in another 1 for his witty comments in interviews and 1 due to some bad injuries

So 3 out of 10 for me

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

I'd say 5/10 - a decent 6N, an injury plagued summer tour and a disappointing autumn series.

What increases his score is his expansion of the squad and capping of new players. Some of thing was forced on him during last summer, but he's generally been very focused on strengthening our player pool.

Negatives would be inconsistent selection, and a tactical style early on that neutered our most threatening players. I don't blame him for failing to instil a consistent style of play - hard to do that in 18 months and with so many new faces in the squad. Hopefully Vern can build on that and develop an experience core of players before the RWC.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:22 am

As an outsider looking in I would say no.

Scotland used to have a very competitive pack and lacklustre backs. Now I would say the pack has become less threatening but the backs have improved.

Little cohesion though and doesn't seem to be much structure.

I think you have the players to make a very competitive side but it's not all coming together.

Johnson doesn't seem to have a clue how he wants Scotland to play.

Plus he's been continually messing around Brown - he's meant to be your captain yet you won't allow him to play at 6 or 8.

Sorting out the backrow is so important yet I don't feel like Johnson has done that in his tenure. I feel the backrow has been imbalanced ever since the Killer Bs were broken up.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

beshocked wrote:As an outsider looking in I would say no.

Scotland used to have a very competitive pack and lacklustre backs. Now I would say the pack has become less threatening but the backs have improved.

Little cohesion though and doesn't seem to be much structure.

I think you have the players to make a very competitive side but it's not all coming together.

Johnson doesn't seem to have a clue how he wants Scotland to play.

Plus he's been continually messing around Brown - he's meant to be your captain yet you won't allow him to play at 6 or 8.

Sorting out the backrow is so important yet I don't feel like Johnson has done that in his tenure. I feel the backrow has been imbalanced ever since the Killer Bs were broken up.

Good post. Should have mentioned it in my post earlier, but I think Johnson's biggest failing has been our inconsistent approach to the breakdown. Sometimes we have approached it with mad aggression, other times we haven't approached it at all. Very frustrating, especially when you consider that this was our biggest strength under Robbo.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:43 am

He's changed the style of play, so it's not really fair to say that the forwards have gone backwards.

Andy Robinson was all about continuity of possession and repeat sets. He firmly believed, and still does, that if you win the territory and possession stats, you win the game. His was a hugely attritional style of play. Lots of pick and drives. Repeat repeat repeat. Starve the opposition of the ball, suck in the defence as best you can and play for penalties between the half way and 22, and only run the ball in the opposition 22. Never, I repeat never, counter-attack. Always kick the ball back and aim to secure territory.

Scott Johnson wants his team to be far more open-minded, play what's in front of you and take opportunities as they arise. The aim of SJ's game is to score points first and foremost, and he doesn't prescribe any particular method of achieving that. In other words, he doesn't say "do as follows, and the scoreboard will take care of itself".

The outcome under SJ has been Scotland becoming a more attacking side, far more likely to risk turning over ball, and less likely to execute 20 consecutive sideways pick and drives. We don't hold possession for as long as we used to, but we do look to do something constructive with it off as many phases as possible. All in all, we are less structured.

Different ways of skinning a cat. What has really hindered SJ has been injuries. He has rarely had his first choice backline up and running, and in particular when Scott has played we've looked better. Had he been able to select the first choice back three of Visser, Maitland and Hogg, with the first choice centres of Scott and Dunbar, on a consistent basis, then I think we'd be further ahead than we are now.

I'm pretty indifferent all in all. It's been a mixed bag, and I'm pleased that Vern Cotter will shortly be taking charge.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:44 am

With Andy Robinson our attack was pretty woeful but the pack was actually pretty decent. R Gray was on form, the killer Bs, good Ford, CHUNK!! and Hamilton. We were let down in the back but he had hardly any time, if any, with the likes of Scott, Visser, maitland, hogg etc. Also our defence was acutely better.

Overall though we do play a more exciting brand with SJ which should be our direction. It's unfathomable why we don' have Barclay in the squad though - his form should warrant his name inked in.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

I think a French twist could fit really nicely into our play.

Just wish Lee Millar would move to Edinburgh or Glasgow, and that Heathcote and Russell could get game time to show their potential. Think we're missing Dan Parks in that he could kick precisely and get some much needed DGs on the board.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:11 pm

people who are giving him the benefit of the doubt - i ask you this simple question

Q: Which year did we go into the 6 Nations without even the 'dark horses' tag due to us being absolutely rubbish at this time

A: 2014

I rest my case

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Mon 27 Jan 2014, 12:21 pm

Riskysports wrote:people who are giving him the benefit of the doubt - i ask you this simple question

Q: Which year did we go into the 6 Nations without even the 'dark horses' tag due to us being absolutely rubbish at this time

I rest my case

You'd best pick it back up again. On other forums that I frequent, absolutely no one describes us as 'absolutely rubbish', and plenty of folk have us tagged as 'dark horses'.

Also, I ask you this simple question - when did AR ever win us two games in one 6N?

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 27 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

I would echo what FES has said. The back play has improved although with the likes of Visser, Hogg and Maitland coming through and Matt Scott-12 maturing into a very capable inside centre the backs were always going to improve.

Fair to say our pack hasn't done as well. The set piece has been ok, although the lineout has become a bit more wobbly. The scrum is going pretty well, and I think the new rules have helped the less powerful more technical Scrummagers like Dickinson who has been excellent for Scotland.

It's the pack in the loose that looks poor. Our breakdown work hasn't been good and a lot of that comes down to SJ's selection and his baffling perseverance with Kelly Brown at 7.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 27 Jan 2014, 2:13 pm

Riskysports wrote:people who are giving him the benefit of the doubt - i ask you this simple question

I rest my case

I am quite happy about that, it has been a millstone around our necks. I am happy for there not to be any expectation around us, let us make our own momentum.

Away to Ireland first up, no one gives us a chance, horrible weather. That all sounds good to me.

SJ has done ok, remember he took the team over at an all time low. We are not world beaters yet, but we have gained some confidence and showed that we can perform, albeit inconsistently. The product just looks so much better to watch as well. The players look like they are enjoying themselves again tol.

His was never going to be a long term appointment. It is hard to be to judgemental on any interim coach. He has left the ship in a better state than he received it, which is pretty much all you could have asked for

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down