The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Saturday crowd factor

+16
Liam
Hound_of_Harrow
GLove39
Wi11
sheephead
welshboii15
A World Cup and 3 Finals
ScarletSpiderman
Knowsit17
wickedwasp
RubyGuby
Casartelli
tatterd
nobbled
AlastairW
munkian
20 posters

Go down

Will the Cardiff crowd boo the English kicker next Saturday?

Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_lcap50%Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 15 ]
Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_lcap3%Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_lcap20%Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 6 ]
Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_lcap10%Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 3 ]
Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_lcap17%Next Saturday crowd factor Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 30

Next Saturday crowd factor Empty Next Saturday crowd factor

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:56 am

So last weekend, as usual the London and Dublin crowds remained respectful, even in a very tight game, to the opposition kicker, Edinburgh sadly didn't and Halfpenny was certainly effected to begin with. So what can we expect next Saturday in Cardiff?

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Next Saturday crowd factor Empty Re: Next Saturday crowd factor

Post by munkian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:09 pm

Pretty sure I heard booing in all matches this weekend to be honest.

You always get a few idiots though, I don't think it affects the kickers.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

There was plenty of booing at Twickenham when Italy came back into the game. Same at the Aviva when France got close. Happens everywhere doesn't it?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:19 pm

I thought so too, Ireland dont boo unless they are bricking it - did against Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:21 pm

sheephead wrote:There was plenty of booing at Twickenham when Italy came back into the game. Same at the Aviva when France got close. Happens everywhere doesn't it?

I was there. You're talking crap. Italy certainly shut the crowd up by a great display, but there wasn't a collective booing/hissy fit.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:23 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:So last weekend, as usual the London and Dublin crowds remained respectful, even in a very tight game, to the opposition kicker, Edinburgh sadly didn't and Halfpenny was certainly effected to begin with. So what can we expect next Saturday in Cardiff?

I don't think Halfpenny was at all effected by the crowd. He was effected by the bloody gale force winds, hence the improvement in the second half.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

sheephead wrote:There was plenty of booing at Twickenham when Italy came back into the game. Same at the Aviva when France got close. Happens everywhere doesn't it?

No there wasn't, silence prevailed right to the very end in both London and Dublin.

The question of whether it effects kickers or not is irrelevant, no kicker will admit to it for obvious reasons, but if there is only a slight chance it will, it shouldn't happen.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

It doesn't matter a rat's ass. If England are good enough to come and win on our patch then they will. Trivial discussion.

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:42 pm

Can't control what the crowd does - but a new innovation that seems to have started (this weekend?) is that the subs warming up behind the posts move around and bounce up & down in the kicker's line of sight.

Presumably an orchestrated move that some will see as clever gamesmanship. Others may see as cheating.

Not saying the little Italian fella wouldn't have missed anyway.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:42 pm

The only way I see the crowd really having any impact is if we havfe a ref who may be swayed by the crowds reactions. IF and it is a big if, we have a ref who is suseptable to pressure from the crowd then, and only then, will the crowd have in impact.

As for the booing of goal kickers, I honestly don't think it has any real impact on the kicker, as these boys are professional and get used to that sort of think well before they are anywhere near international level. I think an absolutely silent stadium may worse than booing.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Forget the booing just cheer when Steve Walsh runs out thumbsup

Go Steve clap

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

I dobt the kickers even notice tbh

The focus you need to do that job is total

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:08 pm

Idk and personally I don't really care anymore. Booing is a part of most sports and the supporter's right if he's got something legitimate to feel unhappy about, namely his team misfiring or the ref making a shocking call. Booing is one way attention is drawn to these things so in a way it has its function and is not imo always the inherent evil many posters portray it as.

I've never booed the kicker in my life and if anyone is pathetic enough to do so on Sat then that's their dignity they're sacrificing, not mine. Therefore I couldn't care less, not going to ruin my game either way.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:31 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Forget the booing just cheer when Steve Walsh runs out thumbsup

Go Steve clap
Laugh

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:55 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Forget the booing just cheer when Steve Walsh runs out thumbsup

Go Steve clap
Laugh

Maybe a chant of "Walsh loves the English" would be all it would need to enure all 80-20 calls against us actually go our way!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:25 pm

AlastairW wrote:

I was there. You're talking crap. Italy certainly shut the crowd up by a great display, but there wasn't a collective booing/hissy fit.

Where did I say collective booing. I said booing and yes there was. Im talking crap, good reply. Didn't realise my post was the offensive. You're obviously the sensitive type so I'll check my posts with you next....

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

I think the lack of respect is poor rugby is a game for the gentlemen the people who boo should take their idiotic behaviour back to football

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:33 pm

Welshboi: you having a laugh. You can't be welsh or have never attended a game before. Why does everyone get precious about noise for the kicker.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

welshboii15 wrote:I think the lack of respect is poor rugby is a game for the gentlemen the people who boo should take their idiotic behaviour back to football

It isn't totally cut and dry like that. If the kicker is one of those who takes his full minute, from the stands it can quite often feel like they are taking longer. After a few shots at goal, that length of time seems longer and longer, and instead of it being a moment to calm their nerves, it comes across as time wasting. I can understand people shouting 'get on with it', or jeering in that situation. The same thing if the ref has missed a high tackle or something dangerous, or is constantly using his one arm against you. It is your job and duty as a home fan to make sure he is fully aware of your disapproval. Or if he is getting things right cheering him for it.

To say that booing the ref/kicker/opposition has no place would also be like telling fans that it is rather unsporting to cheer for you side when they score as nobody likes a gloater!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:43 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
welshboii15 wrote:I think the lack of respect is poor rugby is a game for the gentlemen the people who boo should take their idiotic behaviour back to football

It isn't totally cut and dry like that. If the kicker is one of those who takes his full minute, from the stands it can quite often feel like they are taking longer. After a few shots at goal, that length of time seems longer and longer, and instead of it being a moment to calm their nerves, it comes across as time wasting. I can understand people shouting 'get on with it', or jeering in that situation. The same thing if the ref has missed a high tackle or something dangerous, or is constantly using his one arm against you. It is your job and duty as a home fan to make sure he is fully aware of your disapproval. Or if he is getting things right cheering him for it.

To say that booing the ref/kicker/opposition has no place would also be like telling fans that it is rather unsporting to cheer for you side when they score as nobody likes a gloater!

+1

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

Booing has no part in the game, each time it happens a commentator will mention about it. Clearly there's a reason a minute is given because if a kicker has even less time and has to start rushing their kicks they will miss more kicks and the wide kicks or the long range ones are hard enough with out having to rush with out people booing

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

sheephead wrote:
AlastairW wrote:

Where did I say collective booing. I said booing and yes there was. Im talking crap, good reply. Didn't realise my post was the offensive. You're obviously the sensitive type so I'll check my posts with you next....

I said you were talking crap, because you were talking crap. Booing to hear it in a stadium has to be collective to a certian extent, unless ofc course you have some kind of canine hearing, whereas your name suggests you just have wool in your ears.

Your post wasn't offensive; just ignorant pish, although your suggeston about needing to check with someone about them seems to be the best thing you've written so far. Don't run them past me though, although looking at your one-eyed comments run them past Morg/View for the pat on the back you're looking for.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:00 pm

Plus I understand the booing for a high tackle or something bad that has happened just pay a little respect to the kickers because kicking isn't easy if it was prop forwards would be able to kick

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:23 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Booing has no part in the game, each time it happens a commentator will mention about it. Clearly there's a reason a minute is given because if a kicker has even less time and has to start rushing their kicks they will miss more kicks and the wide kicks or the long range ones are hard enough with out having to rush with out people booing

Are you saying you honestly have never sat there and though jeez that blokes taking the mick with his time wasting on kicks? Not every kick needs a full minute to take. The same as applies to scrum halves taking an age to get the ball out of rucks etc. I am all for respect, but at times people do actually deserve the jearing. That said booing every kick, or that horrible wooooOOOOOAAAAAAH as they run up is petty and needless, and normally done by youngsters who ar still leaning the respect aspect of being a fan.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:50 pm

Of all the rugby diehards I know, the Welsh boys are as anti-boo as any, as they have a real respect for the game. I understand that if your home ground is renowned for it there's a temptation to defend it even if you don't agree. Well please don't, stand up with all the good Welsh posters on this site and throughout the rugby world and decry it so it won't become synonymous with the Millenium stadium.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

So when your team are playing and your team get a penalty with with 1min 10seconds left on clock and your kicker has a chance to take seconds off that you'll be booing him will you no I didn't think so, so have respect for the kicker and how can you compare a scrum half passing ball out to a kicker winning his team the game

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

I think the truth is its always going to happen and it always has. Even nations who pride themselves on "respect the kicker" boo when it suits. People pay their money and as long as it doesn't reach the heights of football abusive chants I don't care. If a player does become affected by booing maybe they shouldn't kick?

Last edited by sheephead on Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not giving some c#%t the pleasure of an argument)

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

welshboii15 wrote:So when your team are playing and your team get a penalty with with 1min 10seconds left on clock and your kicker has a chance to take seconds off that you'll be booing him will you no I didn't think so, so have respect for the kicker and how can you compare a scrum half passing ball out to a kicker winning his team the game

Just to clear it up, i am a cheerer and a clapper, not a booer. I clap opposition tries even these ones that are blanently forward passes etc.

However rugby is a game fans get emotionally involved in and in certain cercumstances it is understandable that fans will vent their anger at the decision that lead to the pen or the kickers preparation time. As for the scrum half how is it any different? He is trying to use time up to win the game the same as the kicker.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Of all the rugby diehards I know, the Welsh boys are as anti-boo as any, as they have a real respect for the game. I understand that if your home ground is renowned for it there's a temptation to defend it even if you don't agree. Well please don't, stand up with all the good Welsh posters on this site and throughout the rugby world and decry it so it won't become synonymous with the Millenium stadium.

The Millenium Stadium has a rep for booing already, and I would hazard a guess that most of those doing it are either boarderline paraletic, or school kids, or worryingly both. That said generally as the kids get older they learn to respect the kickers a bit more. And probably a fair few people who moan about booing were probably guilty of it when they were younger (or at least guilty of being not deemed as respectful by their elders)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

I watched a golf tournament in the States last year and was disappointed to hear the crowd booing an American - It was only when I found out that his name was Boo Weekly that I began to get it. How confusing would it be for those at the Millenium next week if Boo Smith-Goode was kicking a penalty for England in the last minute - Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo Erm

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

Casartelli wrote:Can't control what the crowd does - but a new innovation that seems to have started (this weekend?) is that the subs warming up behind the posts move around and bounce up & down in the kicker's line of sight.

Not new, I remember NZ doing that at Twickenham when Wilkinson was kicking. That was RWC 99. They got booed.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

The booing went both way at Murrayfield on Saturday, was pretty loud for some of Laidlaw's kicks

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

GLove39 wrote:The booing went both way at Murrayfield on Saturday, was pretty loud for some of Laidlaw's kicks

Exactly glove I think it works both ways. It would be nice in a perfect world if there was silence. Unfortunately it ain't gonna happen. Was very impressed with Laidlaws kicking mind. Who needs Paterson !!

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

GLove39 wrote:The booing went both way at Murrayfield on Saturday, was pretty loud for some of Laidlaw's kicks

We were booing the ref for giving Scotland a penalty in the first place Run

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

RubyGuby wrote:

We were booing the ref for giving Scotland a penalty in the first place Run

Well after Saturdays performance booing Craig Joubert is entirely justifiable!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

The England kicker will be subject to a torrent of booing on Saturday. That's always a given at the MS. Assuming we get a kick in range. Anyway, whoever is kicking for England knows what to expect.

Whistle

The excuse of disagreeing with a ref's decision as a reason for booing opposition kickers at the MS is complete bowlocks.

I don't know if anyone noticed but the RFU have the messages 'Quiet please' and 'Respect the kicker' on the new electronic message boards at Twickenham.

Bar one or two kids a couple of times, respecting Orquera's attempts at goal was impeccably observed.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:22 pm

The more these type of threads come about it makes me think its an attempt of a wum. Plenty of other nations/clubs/ regions crowds make noises when the kick is attempted but it always seems to be the MS singled out. As mentioned in a previous post, if a kicker can't cope with the noise he shouldn't kick. I don't agree with it but its not going to stop.

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:37 pm

It's not going to stop at the MS on Saturday Smile

It is by far the worst stadium for it. Take a leaf out of the book of the London Welsh fans, who have been a credit to the Premiership this season. Rugby fans in every aspect.

thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by sheephead Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:It's not going to stop at the MS on Saturday Smile

It is by far the worst stadium for it. Take a leaf out of the book of the London Welsh fans, who have been a credit to the Premiership this season. Rugby fans in every aspect.

thumbsup

I didn't say it was going to stop. Im a bit lost as to why you say that. I take it you only watch British rugby then Harrow? Not witnessed the noise of a French of Australian stadium?

sheephead

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 11 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

Hound - i was just generaljsing reasons why people boo and the times that it isn't actually aimed at putting the kicker off per ce. The major problem with the ms is, at the risk of being called a rugby snob, the majority are either kids or folks half cut, and are after a party atmosphere and as such booing is almost panto villan style.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:04 pm

I believe kickers should get respect wile they kick because its not an easy job and most of the time people who boo have no idea what pressure their under and most likely can't kick a tin, if a kicker needs the whole minute to kick or if its 10 seconds they should get silence to do what they do

It happens in all counties there's no point singling a hand full out because id be gob smacked if there was a single nation or club that don't and its wrong there's no good to come out of doing it

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

No booing in Twickenham because the crowd didn't have a clue what was going on,
"why is that man kicking the ball? i thought Jonny Wilkinson did the kicks?"

To busy trying to remember the words beyond the chorus of swing low as well.

I really do love these kind of threads, they are as pathetic as they come, the whole over tone of we are better than you apes over the border,
it's like arguing over who has the smelliest s!!t.

I think the biggest concern the English should have is can they score points beyond the number 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:55 am

sheephead wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:It's not going to stop at the MS on Saturday Smile

thumbsup

I didn't say it was going to stop. Im a bit lost as to why you say that. I take it you only watch British rugby then Harrow? Not witnessed the noise of a French of Australian stadium?

Oh for sure the French get a bit noisy for an opposition kicker, but mainly at club level. They are more parochial about their rugby than anyone. I've also pointed out the respect that LW fans have for kickers, but they watch club rugby, where kickers are almost always afforded silence.

I'm sure that a lot of people who get tickets for a game at the MS aren't really there for the rugby. Twickenham's the same, but for different reasons.

And if you guys didn't spot the Smile.....

It was a bit tongue in cheek. Wink

May the best team win on Saturday, an hopefully we will see a good game.

view - we got over 'Jonny' a while back. Even the Barbour jacket wearing buffoons in the West car park at HQ realise he's no longer playing.

thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:17 am

I think silence can intimidate a kicker more than a load of drunken boo's and whistles you tend to get from the 'fans' at the MS especially. When its that quiet in a stadium, it surely can make a kicker think even more about the kick itself, its just you and the ball, whereas with noise you can sort of filter it out and use it to your advantage.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:30 am

I'm sorry but anyone sat at home in their armchair criticising the fans who shell out a fortune for the ticket and want a small amount of involvement (not to mention entertainment from the last few years of turgid slugfests) need to rethink.

How is boo ing a kicker any different to screaming at a 9 to get the ball out quicker, or making noise so the opposition can't hear the lineout call, or oohing and aaahing under the high ball...?

It's all an attempt to get a small advantage for their team, down under ive seen those foam peanut things being waved behind the goalposts, Ive seen sub players 'stretching' and warming up under the goalposts, Ive seen teams stand under there goalposts and sway...

Get a grip, this is not 1973, the international fan is not a die hard rugby fan, and todays game is a lot more intesne and competitive as it has ever been, gamesmanship is rife!!!

I am happy to hear boo's cheers and all sorts, it's the players diving football style I am starting to get annoyed by, Michalak, Parra, Fareell and Flood have all done so this year, and the likes of Byrne, Evans, DOC and Hamilton have done it in recent years too!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:35 am

I wonder whether booing affect these modern kickers in any way.

I would think where the crowd factor comes in is when the home team is on a roll and the crowd gets involved, hence hyping their team to greater hights.

That of course and the influence they have on a referee, which in my view is more significant
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:43 am

I have booed and hissed at the annual Christmas panto but the baddie keeps on being nasty year after year.Am I wasting my time???

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 12 Mar 2013, 9:48 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'm sorry but anyone sat at home in their armchair criticising the fans who shell out a fortune for the ticket and want a small amount of involvement (not to mention entertainment from the last few years of turgid slugfests) need to rethink.

How is boo ing a kicker any different to screaming at a 9 to get the ball out quicker, or making noise so the opposition can't hear the lineout call, or oohing and aaahing under the high ball...?

It's all an attempt to get a small advantage for their team, down under ive seen those foam peanut things being waved behind the goalposts, Ive seen sub players 'stretching' and warming up under the goalposts, Ive seen teams stand under there goalposts and sway...
Get a grip, this is not 1973, the international fan is not a die hard rugby fan, and todays game is a lot more intesne and competitive as it has ever been, gamesmanship is rife!!!

I am happy to hear boo's cheers and all sorts, it's the players diving football style I am starting to get annoyed by, Michalak, Parra, Fareell and Flood have all done so this year, and the likes of Byrne, Evans, DOC and Hamilton have done it in recent years too!!

According to Stephen Jones' book when he was kicking for the Lions v SA there was a little green dot that kept moving around the ball as he was lining up his kick, he said something along the line of it most likely being a laser pen, and quite possibly not from the crowd but from the dug out. Now that is really pushing the envelope.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 12 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:....

I guess Picamoles was just standing there minding his own business and didnt move his foot at all.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down