The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if the ATP Tour had a football team

+11
theslosty
super_realist
lydian
bogbrush
TopoftheChops
Danny_1982
carrieg4
HM Murdock
Silver
socal1976
CAS
15 posters

Go down

if the ATP Tour had a football team Empty if the ATP Tour had a football team

Post by CAS Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:00 am

Goalkeeper: Milos Raonic, tall, with long limbs to protect the goal and has a pile driver to get the ball far up the field.

Right Back: David Ferrer, work horse capable of running up and down the field with very good defensive skills but also knows when to attack

Centre Back: Gilles Simon, wont let you down will play the simple passes but not afraid to get into a battle

Centre Back: Juan Martin Del Potro, imposing, intimidating figure. Very strong and is a threat in both boxes. Forced his way back into the first 11 after a year out with injury, nightmare when he's in the mood.

Left Back: Kei Nishikori , great ball striker, hard worker with a nice touch but lacks physical presence to be in the middle but creative to be a threat on the run.

Right Midfield: Andy Murray, has the energy to run at defenders but disciplined enough to cover the RB when he his running forward, has great skill and finesse that can drive defenders insane. Didn't always show up in the big matches but has matured, knows when to make the right pass. Awesome tactician

Centre Attack Midfield: (Cpt) Roger Federer, the captain and the playmaker. Has the ball on a string, great finisher and has the eye for a defence splitting pass no one else can see. Fan favourite. The veteran of the team, leads by example.

Centre Defensive Midfield: Novak Djokovic, very intelligent with his pass selection and capable of the occasional screamer but will sit and protect his back four running from side to side. Doesn't always get the credit he deserves as more popular players get the fans chanting their name but is one of the most important players on the pitch.

Left Midfield: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, capable of playing anywhere but is best when he's off the leash and allowed to express himself, prone to the spectacular just as he is prone to a mistake, can switch wings during the match. Athleticism makes him a danger in oppositions box but his exquisite touch allows him to get around defenders.

Second Striker: Rafael Nadal, Sits behind the big man, waiting for knock ons. Can smell chances and pounce as soon as an opportunity presents itself. Killer instinct, and speed to get away from defenders. Chance conversion is extremely high, scores when it matters most.

Centre Forward: Tomas Berdych, Powerful, scorer of great goals with incredible right peg, great in the air. Bullies defenders with his power. Sits up top, allows the option for long ball game, but can get down and play. Occasionally flies under the radar of the opposition, but capable of special performances.

Whats yours?

Last edited by CAS on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total

CAS

Back to top Go down

if the ATP Tour had a football team Empty Re: if the ATP Tour had a football team

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:02 am

I like your team CAS, I would keep the whole thing with three changes. I would put Isner in as goal keeper the second coming of vander saar.

I would not have Berdych as center forward the man has no bottle I can see him tanking a gimme with the match on the line. I would move Tsonga up there very drogba like

And in the defensive midfield I am thinking Monfils in the Patrick Viera mold. Djoko I just don't see as a good footballer I think he says I am not that good.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

if the ATP Tour had a football team Empty Re: if the ATP Tour had a football team

Post by Silver Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:43 am

How about Gasquet as the super sub? Runs out of steam so he shouldn't start matches, but a great impact player and capable of a little magic Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:06 am

He wouldn't get in the team but Dimitrov would be one of those Kanu / Paolo Wanchope type players. Either sublime or ridiculous but nothing inbetween!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

HM Murdoch wrote:He wouldn't get in the team but Dimitrov would be one of those Kanu / Paolo Wanchope type players. Either sublime or ridiculous but nothing inbetween!

They could have him on for the first 20 minutes or so to help the team into a winning position then quickly substitute him before he starts scoring own goals!

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 8:49 am

I would put Rafa left midfield and have Tsonga up front as my Drogba.

Plus I like the idea of a midfield 4 of Murray, Djokovic, Federer and Nadal.

Berdych would perhaps be a little immobile, so I might go for the mercurial Berbatov esq skills of Dimitrov just behind Tsonga. Plus Dimitrov would be more comfortable dropping into midfield when we don't have the ball.

Or maybe I'm thinking this through a little too much. Laugh

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:16 am

I don't think Monfils has the discipline Socal, like the idea of Tsonga up top but really could play anywhere and do a job, I don't know if I could trust him to stay in position though! I like the idea of him switching wings with Andy and having Ferrer behind him and being the defensive security while Tsonga shows off. I see Berdych in the Dzeko mould, not as flashy as some of his team mates but can be extremely effective. Isner I don't see as agile enough, Monfils could be a shout in goal he would be jumping all over the place!

Last edited by CAS on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by TopoftheChops Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Gilles Simon at Centre Back is a mistake, he's too short. Also need a Left handed player at Left Back not Nishikori.

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

Don't forget Uncle Toni, coaching from the sidelines is something he's always been great at.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:51 am

Phillip Lahm and Dennis Irwin do/did okay at LB with right feet. And besides Nishikori has a great left side, I didn't trust Lopez or Versdasco, too flakey to play at the back. but suggestions are welcome. And Gilles is 6ft tall, hardly too short, and with 6'6 JMDP I think we have height covered...Lllodra and Melzer were options but felt they lacked pace.

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:52 pm

Surely you need Stepanek in there?
Isnt there's always one team member trying to get off with their team mates partners?
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Nadal would have ANDERTON on his back.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Definitely see Monfils as one of those Vieira/Yaya Toure type players who just have endless energy, and can take the ball from one end of the pitch to the other.

Can't really picture Tsonga as a footballer, too heavy, but then again I guess he does alright on the tennis court.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

Karlovic
Ferrer - Janowicz - Del Potro - Nadal
Monfils - Djokovic
Murray - Federer - Verdasco
Tipsarevic

You have to have Karlovic in goal. It's a gimme!

Ferrer - He'll bomb down the wing and get those crosses in all day long and would cover every blade of grass.

JJ and Del Po - They have height and speed. DelPo is definitely the number 1 CB though but JJ offers for maneuverability than DelPo (not by much).

Nadal - Like Ferrer, he's near tireless and I think he'd be a better LB than a LM.

Monfils - He's definitely the midfield enforcer as he's such but is rapid too. He's my box-to-box midfielder and aims to get the ball to the Fed at every opportunity.

Djokovic - The midfield anchor. He'd be tireless in the centre, relentlessly pursuing the ball and being great on the break.

Murray - The best footballer on the park. I imagine him as a sort of right-footed Gareth Bale.

The Fed - He's the Pirlo of the team. Nuff said.

Verdasco - I can't think of anyone else left-handed except Jarkko. The Spanish communication with Nadal would help, I imagine.

Tipsy - I chose Tipsy because he's solid but quick and packs a punch. He's either a striker or the Edgar Davids of the team.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 13 Mar 2013, 4:28 pm

Football and tennis are entirely different sports and require different abilities. It made me laugh watching sky last night when they showed Murray playing "keepy uppy" surrounded by his adoring team. They said this demonstrated his football skills. Ha ha! I know for a fact this isn't true because give me an hour or two with a ball and make sure no one gets in my way and stays at least three feet away and I could (probably) demonstrate reasonable skill at this activity. It involves similar skills to tennis. However put me on a football pitch and I would be more hindrance than help ... cough.

bogbrush. If you see Uncle Toni coaching from the sidelines and Rafa anywhere near a football pitch do me a favor. Ask Uncle Toni to tell his nephew to get off the pitch immediately as he should keep well clear of that temptation. He should take no notice even if Rafa "whines" that it's just grass and so will do no harm.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

haha pretty good team actually not sure about Simon as a British-style centre half, maybe he's more of a continental libero.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:48 pm

HE - Murray was signed to Rangers as a kid and only gave up football because he chose tennis.

By all accounts he was a very good prospect.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

TSJ, I really like your Jerzy Janowicz as a center half, wow six foot eight inches of him will bring some intimidation factor, I like it better than Simon pick sorry CAS.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

Just found this for those interested in tennis players playing football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IjjU0n92w

Relieved that Rafa isn't playing... But also interesting to see the style of football that Murray plays. Ha ha! that's my style of "football".

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:56 pm

hawkeye wrote:Just found this for those interested in tennis players playing football.

Relieved that Rafa isn't playing... But also interesting to see the style of football that Murray plays. Ha ha! that's my style of "football".

You could pick a link where he is actually playing proper football - just a thought.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:58 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Just found this for those interested in tennis players playing football.

You could pick a link where he is actually playing proper football - just a thought.

Laugh Zinggggggggggggggggggg

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:02 pm

carriege4. It's just a general publicity video. I don't think it was shot to deliberately hide anyone's skills.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

You mean the video that shows a guy saying Murray has amazing technique was not designed to hide his skills?

Thank God. Thanks for pointing that out HE.

I wonder which other pro tennis players were signed up to football clubs as kids. Anyone know any?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 10:16 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:

I wonder which other pro tennis players were signed up to football clubs as kids. Anyone know any?

Interesting question Danny. Anyone?

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

carrieg4 wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:

Interesting question Danny. Anyone?

I didn't know this about Murray. I did know that Nadal played for a successful junior soccer team (I think he was part of a team that won some trophy that was competed by teams across the whole of the balerics) but gave up soccer when he was about 12 to focus on tennis. Tried to find out a bit more about Murray but could only find this from Wikipedia.

At 15, he was asked to train with Rangers Football Club at their School of Excellence, but declined, opting to focus on his tennis career instead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Murray

I don't know much about football but is being asked to train at a school of excellence the same as being signed for a club? I googled Rangers school of excellence but nothing came up. Also isn't 15 a bit old for Murray to still be pursuing two different sporting paths. I thought he was training at a tennis camp in Spain when he was that age. Maybe Murray fans know more?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

He played for Gairdoch, which is Rangers feeder club. When players are deemed good enough they are then invited to train with Rangers. A Rangers agent was in talks with the Murray family trying to convince him to agree as Rangers were really keen.

Murray initially agreed, but then him mother said 'you can't keep playing tennis if you do this. It's time to choose' and Murray chose tennis. The agent tried to change his mind but he wouldn't.

This is all in his book. Much better source that Wikipedia. You should read it Hawkeye. Wink

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

I would have nalbandian in goal because he would fill most of it.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:38 pm

Luvsports as long as he gets a pass through the buffet line at half time I think he would be fine and wouldn't suffer for the whole 90 minutes plus extra time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down