The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stop smoking the easyway

+4
Mr Fishpaste
yappysnap
Cardiff Taffy
dogtooth
8 posters

Go down

stop smoking the easyway Empty stop smoking the easyway

Post by dogtooth Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:33 pm

dont wait for no smoking day. find out how i stopped smoking the easyway.

do you smoke?

would you like to give up? (i know, its a trick question. if you smoke you want to give up. every smoker does)

ive stopped the easy way. just ask if you want to know how.

(EDIT: im not selling anything)

Last edited by dogtooth on Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

stop smoking the easyway Empty Re: stop smoking the easyway

Post by dogtooth Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

the really nice thing about stopping the easy way is i can drink my brilliant homebrew and not need a fag. (i should be working)
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

And the winner of the random prize is!
already given up btw so thanks anyway.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 15 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

why no capitals?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat 16 Mar 2013, 9:43 am

going to watch my first 6nations game without waiting for a chance to nip off for a quick fag.

fourth day as a non smoker. yesterday was so easy.

read allen carrs easyway to stop smoking if you want to stop smoking.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sat 16 Mar 2013, 10:44 am

Stop smoking the easy way...and start smoking the hard way

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sat 16 Mar 2013, 12:36 pm

it is hard to start, and easy to stop.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 16 Mar 2013, 4:25 pm

Finished reading the book on 26/7/10, haven't smoked since (had smoked for over 20 years previously).

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

Galted wrote:Finished reading the book on 26/7/10, haven't smoked since (had smoked for over 20 years previously).

thats really great. well done Galted.

ive been a non smoker for about 4 days. it is suprisingly easy to stop.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

Good luck dogtooth a friend of my stopped with the Carr book and he swears by it.

For me it was simple, my wife was pregnant and I always told myself I would stop when I became a father. I quit when she was about four months preggers and all I've had since was the odd puff of something slightly more exotic.

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

Cardiff Taffy wrote:Good luck dogtooth

thanks taff.

i am claiming a full week as a non smoker now. smoke free for a whole week. im never going to be a pro athlete now at my age but i do feel hell of a lot fitter already.

if only i had known how easy it was to stop smoking i would have stopped years ago.

read easyway. reconmend easyway.

dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:27 pm

Well done dogtooth, probably already over £50 you've saved.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Wed 20 Mar 2013, 7:54 pm

ive probably only saved a tenner, i was a light smoker and rolled my own. still, ive saved a tenner so far OK

seriously guys, if you smoke or know any one who smokes you must think about 'Allen Carr's EASYWAY to stop smoking'. the book works. it really works
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperTanker Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:47 am

I think I will investigate. I've always found it easy to stop, I just have never been able to stick to it. Hoping this will make the difference.

Good work dogtooth, keep it up

SuperTanker

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu 21 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm

SuperTanker wrote:I think I will investigate. I've always found it easy to stop, I just have never been able to stick to it. Hoping this will make the difference.

Good work dogtooth, keep it up

:-D thanks SuperT.

the book will work for you too.

i was a light smoker. i went to smoking cesation classes a couple of years ago and they told me i was a light smoker with low addiction. i actually started to smoke more after hearing that. and, if i had such a low addiction level how come i couldnt stop?!?!?!?

i was reconmended the book by a much heaver smoker. first thing in the morning and last thing at night 20+ a day smoker. i wasnt sure it would work for me but it really did.

good luck Super, but you wont need it. youll do it too.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 09 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

today it is four weeks since i last smoked. it will be a whole month on saturday.

if you want to stop smoking read the easy way. it really has worked for me.

this morning i had to run for the train. it didnt hurt like it used to.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

Don't count your chickens.

I've stopped now for getting on for a month, I don't care what anybody says, giving up smoking is NOT easy. But it does vary from person to person. If you approach stopping with the right mental attitude, it will be 'easier' than if you don't.

I still don't understand these people who try to stop by replacing fags with patches and the like, you're simply replacing the addictive part of your habit for another hit of the drug...

Anyway, my point is, if you were a smoker, you're ALWAYS a smoker, just at this moment in time you're not smoking.

I gave up for 3 years and then suddenly, inexplicably, I started again. Its very, very easy to do. In fact, according to medical experts, you are likely to receive 'triggers' for up to 15 years after stopping although these become easier to manage over time.

Well done to anybody who's done it or doing it, i'm one of you, but be under no illusion, you're now in it for the long run, and the way ahead isn't easy.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:44 pm

Jimpy wrote:Don't count your chickens.

I've stopped now for getting on for a month, I don't care what anybody says, giving up smoking is NOT easy. But it does vary from person to person. If you approach stopping with the right mental attitude, it will be 'easier' than if you don't.

I still don't understand these people who try to stop by replacing fags with patches and the like, you're simply replacing the addictive part of your habit for another hit of the drug...

Anyway, my point is, if you were a smoker, you're ALWAYS a smoker, just at this moment in time you're not smoking.

I gave up for 3 years and then suddenly, inexplicably, I started again. Its very, very easy to do. In fact, according to medical experts, you are likely to receive 'triggers' for up to 15 years after stopping although these become easier to manage over time.

Well done to anybody who's done it or doing it, i'm one of you, but be under no illusion, you're now in it for the long run, and the way ahead isn't easy.

Well said Jimpy.

My flatmate hasn't touched a cigarette in 18 months. She's still chomping though the nicorette gum though.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 11 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

I'll disagree with both of you. Been almost 3 years for me, my only smoking-related addiction now is being annoyed with myself for having done it so long, turned out that all I needed was for my stupidity to be explained properly to me. Agree that the gum & patches are a load of bs, all they do is substitute it, might reduce the risk of lung damage but they maintain the addiction. As dogtooth says, read the book.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:42 am

Galted wrote:I'll disagree with both of you. Been almost 3 years for me, my only smoking-related addiction now is being annoyed with myself for having done it so long, turned out that all I needed was for my stupidity to be explained properly to me. Agree that the gum & patches are a load of bs, all they do is substitute it, might reduce the risk of lung damage but they maintain the addiction. As dogtooth says, read the book.

You may find that complacency is your greatest enemy.... I was the same as you and then events in my life took a turn and I began again. Never understimate the hold nicotine has over you, the triggers can be enormously powerful and subtle at the same time. If you're still smoke free in 12 years, then you may have earned the right to call your self a 'non-smoker'...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 12 Apr 2013, 9:58 am

Jimpy wrote:
Galted wrote:I'll disagree with both of you. Been almost 3 years for me, my only smoking-related addiction now is being annoyed with myself for having done it so long, turned out that all I needed was for my stupidity to be explained properly to me. Agree that the gum & patches are a load of bs, all they do is substitute it, might reduce the risk of lung damage but they maintain the addiction. As dogtooth says, read the book.

You may find that complacency is your greatest enemy.... I was the same as you and then events in my life took a turn and I began again. Never understimate the hold nicotine has over you, the triggers can be enormously powerful and subtle at the same time. If you're still smoke free in 12 years, then you may have earned the right to call your self a 'non-smoker'...

Appreciate the warning but the only life-turning event that is likely to start me again is someone holding a loaded gun to my head & telling me to. Nicotine only has a hold while it's in the system, I don't have any cravings, don't miss it & find it disgusting - I find it difficult to comprehend that I smoked for as long as I did. The only reason I started was because I wanted to in my teens, thought it was cool. Even then it took quite a battle to become addicted as, to start with, I felt nauseous when smoking. It's a common misconception that smoking relieves stress but this & other myths are explained in the Carr book.

If you substitued "drink" for "smoke" & "alcohol" for "nicotine" in your statement I would agree with you.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Apr 2013, 10:08 am

Galted wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Appreciate the warning but the only life-turning event that is likely to start me again is someone holding a loaded gun to my head & telling me to. Nicotine only has a hold while it's in the system, I don't have any cravings, don't miss it & find it disgusting - I find it difficult to comprehend that I smoked for as long as I did. The only reason I started was because I wanted to in my teens, thought it was cool. Even then it took quite a battle to become addicted as, to start with, I felt nauseous when smoking. It's a common misconception that smoking relieves stress but this & other myths are explained in the Carr book.

If you substitued "drink" for "smoke" & "alcohol" for "nicotine" in your statement I would agree with you.

Really? I didn't realise that you were clairvoyant too Whistle

By your rationale, an alcoholic who stopped drinking long enough for all the alcohol to have left their system (a couple of days at most) would be clear and out of the woods with regards to their addiction?

You'd be wrong and it is the same with smoking i'm afraid. Dependance on any substance is a result of physical changes to the brain, and its synapse that take much, much longer to repair than is appreciated by many.

Good luck to you, good luck to all those setting out to conquer their addictions.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 12 Apr 2013, 10:16 am

Cheers.

I meant the opposite about alcohol, it might be out of the system but I doubt it's ever really out of the mind - I'd say that "once a drinker always a drinker" is more accurate than "once a smoker always a smoker".

Alcohol has the unfortunate ability to completely change a person's mood (for (seemingly) the better) and create a new personality whereas smoking just temporarily satisfies a need that it's created itself.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Apr 2013, 10:27 am

Galted wrote:Cheers.

I meant the opposite about alcohol, it might be out of the system but I doubt it's ever really out of the mind - I'd say that "once a drinker always a drinker" is more accurate than "once a smoker always a smoker".Alcohol has the unfortunate ability to completely change a person's mood (for (seemingly) the better) and create a new personality whereas smoking just temporarily satisfies a need that it's created itself.

It is true of both (as a learned physician explained to me), but yes, it is more true of a drinker.

It is true that a drinker develops a physical dependancy over time. This is less true for a smoker, but the longer you smoke, the more interwoven within the synapse the addiction becomes. This is a physical bond with the drug that can be hard to shift.

None of us can know the future, if you'd have asked me prior to my lapse if I would ever consider smoking again, i'd have laughed at you, but things change and you don't always know whats around the corner. You only need one synapse to remain and a trigger can se you off. Its quite frightening actually.

Fingers Crossed

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 12 Apr 2013, 10:34 am

Fair enough, you have scientific information as well as personal experience & I am setting myself up to look extremely foolish if I were ever to start again.

Hope your synapses behave themselves & this attempt is more successful than the first.

Anyone have any idea why this is on the rugby forum?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Apr 2013, 10:38 am

Dunno, but its an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

wow, the topic went all north korea while i was away.

just popped in to say, it has now been a full calander month since i last smoked.

im sorry to hear from jimpy that the book didnt work for him. i dont suppose it can work for everyone. it certainly has worked for me.

for anyone who hasent read the book, dont be put off because some dont find it easy to stop after reading it. read it, what have you got to lose? nothing. what have you got to gain? .....
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:08 pm

dogtooth wrote:wow, the topic went all north korea while i was away.

just popped in to say, it has now been a full calander month since i last smoked.

im sorry to hear from jimpy that the book didnt work for him. i dont suppose it can work for everyone. it certainly has worked for me.

for anyone who hasent read the book, dont be put off because some dont find it easy to stop after reading it. read it, what have you got to lose? nothing. what have you got to gain? .....

I didn't read the book, I went cold turkey. Just the thought of Alan Carr makes me cringe, so I'd hardly be taking advice from the 'man'.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 12 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

Was Allen Carr not Alan Car Jimpy. Allen Carr was a 100+ a day smoker who gave up & wrote the book about it, he subsequently died of lung cancer.

The other Alan makes me cringe as well, can't understand how anyone finds him funny.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down