The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT

+11
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
88Chris05
Liam_Main
Jukebox Timebomb
TRUSSMAN66
eddyfightfan
HumanWindmill
BALTIMORA
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
D4thincarnation
Young_Towzer
15 posters

Go down

FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT Empty FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 02 May 2011, 3:07 pm

IMO Boxing is a dying sport and MMA/UFC, etc are taking over because the best are fighting the best, its a shame because Boxing imo is a much better sport, but fights like these below are ripping off fans and killing the sport

HAYE V HARRISON - A genuine farce, Haye once again fighting the 'best'

PACQUIAO V CLOTTEY - A good fighter Clottey, but on the back of a defeat, Manny should of fought someone better

MAYWEATHER V MARQUEZ - A genuine farce, a lightweight fighting a welterweight, Mayweather won 13 of the 12 rounds

ADAMEK V MCBRIDE - What was all this about?!

PACQUIAO V MOSLEY - Im a huge Manny fan but im no fan of bias, he should be fighting Martinez

ALVAREZ V HATTON - Hatton didnt deserve a world title shot in a month of sundays, he was schooled by Craig Watson ffs!

KLITSCHKO V PETER 2 - A fat plodding Peter gets another shot after being schooled twice off the brothers

COTTO V MAYORGA - Again, a fan of Miguel Cotto, but not bum fights, Mayorga isnt and never has been in Cotto's league

MURRAY V EL QUAZGHARI - Another roadsweeper for Murray to fight, if he fights Mitchell he'll pay the price for fighting bums and have his head absolutely boxed off imo

BERTO V HERNANDEZ- First step up he took a few weeks ago he was totally outfought, outclassed by an hungry young lion in Ortiz, who obviously had no 'heart' Rolling Eyes

LOPEZ V SALIDO - Another sport killer, Lopez is sparked by a journeyman, he even became pally with Gamboa to avoid fighting each other, refuses step ups and was rolled out

KIRKLAND VS ISHIDA - Yet another sport killer despite an upset, Kirkland was awful in the fight before this one and what was horrifying to hear was Max Kellerman saying he was the man to unseat Sergio Martinez censored that fight would of been murder for him, he is slow has poor technique, if he doesnt blast a guy out in a few rounds he's lost

There is obviously other bum fights i may of missed, feel free to add them, this article isnt meant to offend, its just pointing out that fights like the above are killing the sport, they are giving the fighters money but not the fans value for money, on an high scale and small hall scale the sport is dying by 80/20 fights instead of 50/50 fights

EVER THE OPTIMIST, I HOPE WE GET TO VIEW THESE FIGHTS IN 2011 WITH PREDICTIONS!
MURRAY V MITCHELL - Mitchell by either late stoppage or UD, a level or 2 above Murray and far too fast and cute for him

KHAN V BRADLEY - Bradley by either late stoppage or UD, can fight on the back foot, Khan cant, he can fight one way on the front foot and has brilliant speed, but so does Bradley, and Tim is a bit more clever imo, and can also ride storms (Dropped twice by Holt), Bradley punches properly and would of stopped him if he'd tagged him like Maidana did, Bradley is faster, harder to pin than Maidana, very difficult to land clean on

MARTINEZ V MAYWEATHER -Martinez SD
This is wishful thinking, but who knows, Martinez is bigger, faster and definitely stronger, also in the form of his life, i just think after a close fight he would be too awkward and not a sitting duck like the steretypical Mayweather opponent and win a close clash of styles.

HAYE V WLAD - Wlad KO 3
Wladimir will destroy him imo, far too good and too big of a step up, fighting bums like Harrison, Barrett, B level like Ruiz is all well and good but hard when you fight the elite level.

PACQUIAO V BRADLEY (If the Khan fight doesnt happen) Sitting on the fence
I believe Bradley would pose him nightmares with his handspeed and clever way of avoiding shots, would be a cracker of a fight, and i cant call it personally as i honestly believe Bradley is absolute quality.

BARKER V MACKLIN - Barker UD
Dazzler outboxes the stronger Macklin imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT Empty Re: FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 02 May 2011, 3:14 pm

Manny vs Clottey, Joshua Clottey was a huge welter probably outweighing Pacquiao by 20lbs, a world champion and was the best fight available for Pacquiao at the time.

Manny vs Mosley, A great fight between two great attacking power punchers with speed and flair, it will bring many fans into the sport and could break PPV records. Mosley is the best fighter that Pacquiao could take at welter.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT Empty Re: FIGHTS THAT HAVE/ARE KILLING THE SPORT

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 3:17 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Manny vs Clottey, Joshua Clottey was a huge welter probably outweighing Pacquiao by 20lbs, a world champion and was the best fight available for Pacquiao at the time.

Manny vs Mosley, A great fight between two great attacking power punchers with speed and flair, it will bring many fans into the sport and could break PPV records. Mosley is the best fighter that Pacquiao could take at welter.

Mosley no longer has speed on his side he has slowed up. Mosley is a better fight than Marquez? Berto?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 02 May 2011, 3:19 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:Manny vs Clottey, Joshua Clottey was a huge welter probably outweighing Pacquiao by 20lbs, a world champion and was the best fight available for Pacquiao at the time.

Mosley no longer has speed on his side he has slowed up. Mosley is a better fight than Marquez? Berto?

Yes Mosley beats Marquez and Berto for me.

Mosley still has a lot of speed.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 3:21 pm

No he doesn't he was slow against Mayweather and looked well past it against Mora. I wish I was wrong I'm a big Mosley fan he comes across really well and loved watching him fight when he was in his prime but he is well past it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 3:26 pm

Kev - don't let him drag you into this rigmarole again.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 02 May 2011, 3:27 pm

I suppose it's possible that Mosley could rise to the occasion and pull off one more great performance, a la Ezzard Charles ( twice, in his case, ) against Marciano, but overwhelming worldwide opinion is that Mosley v Pacquiao is happening too late in the day.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 02 May 2011, 3:40 pm

adamek vs mcbride??? whats wrong with that fight. think it was just to get adamez used to fighting big tall guys prior to his title shot against vitali. i actually quite like adamek, dont think he's big enough to win against vitali- but he's still exciting to watch.

some good points in there especially about harrison and hatton who are undeserving of a title shot. but i think its the fights that dont happen that kill the sport more than anything.

would consider salido a bit more than a journey man as well.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 02 May 2011, 3:40 pm

also i think pac man would destroy bradley if that came to fruit

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 3:44 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:adamek vs mcbride??? whats wrong with that fight. think it was just to get adamez used to fighting big tall guys prior to his title shot against vitali. i actually quite like adamek, dont think he's big enough to win against vitali- but he's still exciting to watch.

McBride was used just as a stop gap before Adamek fights Vit in September. Nothing more than that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 May 2011, 4:01 pm

Leonard v Lalonde
Manny v Marge
Manny v Cotto

Any fight where a guy claims a dishonorable advantage by draining a guy before the fight....

Beat them at the proper weight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 02 May 2011, 4:09 pm

IMO Boxing is a dying sport and MMA/UFC, etc are taking over because the best are fighting the best, its a shame because Boxing imo is a much better sport, but fights like these below are ripping off fans and killing the sport

Yeah...check out the MMA section of this website to see how popular it really is.

There's only one fight that we need to happen in Boxing.

In MMA you're actually seeing the best from a selected few fight the best from a selected few, not sport IMO.

Tune-up fights are a necessary part of Boxing. Always have been always will be.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 4:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Leonard v Lalonde
Manny v Marge
Manny v Cotto

Any fight where a guy claims a dishonorable advantage by draining a guy before the fight....

Beat them at the proper weight..

Didn't Leonard win a LHW title at 168? What a skank.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 02 May 2011, 4:17 pm

Boxing all in all is in great condition, don't really seeing any fight causing minor wounds let alone killing the sport.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 02 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Mosley was the only fight at WW for Manny.Mannys waiting on the Khan/Bradley winner.The fight with Martinez isn't going to happen as Manny can't make the weight we can only hope that Floyd comes out of retirement so we can see how truly good Martinez is.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 02 May 2011, 4:32 pm

isnt Margarito a former world welter champ TRUSSMAN?, Cotto, dont make me laugh Cotto's genuine world level and much better than fighting Marquez, i agree with d4 that Mosley is better and would beat Berto and Marquez, in his prime that is, you are to bias d4.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 02 May 2011, 4:34 pm

@Liam, why should he have to boil down to lightweight to fight a guy who he's beat and drew with? its bogus, absolutely bogus, Marquez is in the news week in week out slating everyone, he even had a go at Alvarez recently!, get over it you lost and drew, if he wants Manny he should move up to welterweight/light middleweight the deluded idiot!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 02 May 2011, 4:35 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Mosley was the only fight at WW for Manny.Mannys waiting on the Khan/Bradley winner.

I'd be amazed if Pacquiao went anywhere near the winner of Bradley / Khan, to be honest. It would be a fight I'd like to see if the Mayweather bout can't be made, but let's be frank, the usual excuses of 'they're training partners so can't fight' (in Khan's case), 'they don't bring enough money to the table' and, of course, 'they're too young and dangerous for Pacquiao at this stage in his career' will be rolled out to prevent it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 02 May 2011, 4:37 pm

Steven_89 wrote:@Liam, why should he have to boil down to lightweight to fight a guy who he's beat and drew with? its bogus, absolutely bogus, Marquez is in the news week in week out slating everyone, he even had a go at Alvarez recently!, get over it you lost and drew, if he wants Manny he should move up to welterweight/light middleweight the deluded idiot!

He should move up to Welterweight or even Light-Middleweight to fight Pacquiao, eh? And yet, when he fights at Welterweight against Mayweather, it's a fight which is "killing boxing?" Hhhmm, takes a bit of explaining, that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 4:41 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:Mosley was the only fight at WW for Manny.Mannys waiting on the Khan/Bradley winner.The fight with Martinez isn't going to happen as Manny can't make the weight we can only hope that Floyd comes out of retirement so we can see how truly good Martinez is.

Manny was LMW champ. Why is it OK for Floyd to fight the bgger man but not Manny? Both fighters probably had their best days at super featherweight anyway. What's good for the goose and all that.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 4:46 pm

Steven_89 wrote:@Liam, why should he have to boil down to lightweight to fight a guy who he's beat and drew with? its bogus, absolutely bogus, Marquez is in the news week in week out slating everyone, he even had a go at Alvarez recently!, get over it you lost and drew, if he wants Manny he should move up to welterweight/light middleweight the deluded idiot!

Nothing like a good contradiction to prove you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 5:06 pm

More gibberish from the chief rubber room candidate, I see. The Manny/Margarito fight was a definite kick in the face for the reputation of boxing. As contrived a set-up as ever there was. Once again Mr Arum doing what he does best.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 5:11 pm

Speaking of that horrible troll Arum he ballsed up a potential FOTY candidate between Gamboa and Lopez by holding off for a bit more cash. Not sure what the difference in revenue for the fight would have been if they had both won their last fights compared to making the fight instead of trying to build it up for to long. Don't think it would have made much of a difference tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 5:19 pm

The man is pure greed. Only have to look at the way he's keeping everything in-house lately. Now he's trying to build up Gamboa-Lopez if Lopez wins a rematch. I hope it all falls flat.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 5:23 pm

Was really looking forward to that fight. I thought Gamboa would win it but after his last performance and seeing that Lopez didn't tighten up his defence when he stepped up in class which I thought he would Gamboa would win a one sided stoppage in the middle rounds imo. His speed and power would be just to much for Lopez who is just to easy to hit. Gamboa looks a real class act. Should be P4P top 5 in the next few years.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 May 2011, 5:31 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Yeah...check out the MMA section of this website to see how popular it really is.

In MMA you're actually seeing the best from a selected few fight the best from a selected few, not sport IMO.

The main reason the MMA/Martial Arts forum on here isn't popular is because most of those 606 guys went onto the armbar forum which is just for MMA, Martial arts. There are also quite a few other decent MMA websites which have everything from videos, merchandising, forums etc. The UFC also have their own site. But you are right, the best only fight the best from the governing body/promotion that they fight for & is a poor argument. This weekends UFC event drew 55000 fans to the arena, a pretty good turn out I would say, more than a lot of top boxing shows. The fact is there will always be some bad fights out there but from what I'm reading on here recently & some of the fights I've caught up with on youtube there have been some great fights of recent & more to come. Somebody posted a good article recently with regards to boxing losing its edge & that went back about 40 years, seems many people always find something to moan about. Boxing recently has suffered mostly with politics where as UFC has the potential to suffer due to a dictator! at least this article wasn't written by the usual UFC fanboy/wum.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 02 May 2011, 5:47 pm

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs zbik- a farce, stripping Martinez and giving a hype job playing o his fathers name and a no-body.

Manny vs Mosley- Using a faded fighters name to make the fight bigger than it actually is. Mosley would destroy manny in his prime but Shane is a walking punching bag after 2 rounds yet this is being billed as a "super-fight"

Evander Holyfield vs Brian Nielson- the only good American heavyweight is still fighting at the age of 48. Boxing needs a great American heavyweight.

Amir Khan vs McClosky- a very poor card and fight were Paul was well put of his dept yet they tried to sell it to us on ppv.

Gamboa vs Marquez- if it happens itnwould be a very poor mismatch and I Really don't want to see it happen.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 02 May 2011, 6:46 pm

sohotnot wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

The main reason the MMA/Martial Arts forum on here isn't popular is because most of those 606 guys went onto the armbar forum which is just for MMA, Martial arts. There are also quite a few other decent MMA websites which have everything from videos, merchandising, forums etc. The UFC also have their own site. But you are right, the best only fight the best from the governing body/promotion that they fight for & is a poor argument. This weekends UFC event drew 55000 fans to the arena, a pretty good turn out I would say, more than a lot of top boxing shows. The fact is there will always be some bad fights out there but from what I'm reading on here recently & some of the fights I've caught up with on youtube there have been some great fights of recent & more to come. Somebody posted a good article recently with regards to boxing losing its edge & that went back about 40 years, seems many people always find something to moan about. Boxing recently has suffered mostly with politics where as UFC has the potential to suffer due to a dictator! at least this article wasn't written by the usual UFC fanboy/wum.

Boxing is not suffering though. We've had some great fights recently and there are countless top quality bouts coming up. If anything I think the UFC's popularity has plateud and is now on the slide. The last (I think) UK UFC card was a horrible flop. A terrible show, no media interest whatsoever. UFC's peak was when Brock Lesnar was champ, and that tells us something.

I remember the 606 martial arts section and the lack of interest in it.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 6:52 pm

I stayed up to watch UFC 129 at the weekend, because my mate had been talking about the fact it'd been hyped, and it was a massive anti-climax. So much for the best taking on the best.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 02 May 2011, 6:53 pm

You clearly don't know what your talking about.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 02 May 2011, 6:57 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:Mosley was the only fight at WW for Manny.Mannys waiting on the Khan/Bradley winner.The fight with Martinez isn't going to happen as Manny can't make the weight we can only hope that Floyd comes out of retirement so we can see how truly good Martinez is.

Manny was LMW champ. Why is it OK for Floyd to fight the bgger man but not Manny? Both fighters probably had their best days at super featherweight anyway. What's good for the goose and all that.

Mannys came out and said he can't make the weight anymore he's now only fighting at WW and LWW.If Martinez could get down to Welter the fight could possibly be made.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 02 May 2011, 7:15 pm

Liam, that's the point I think. The fact that Manny's not willing to fight at LMW really undermines the validity of his claim to be a champion at that weight.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 May 2011, 7:32 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
sohotnot wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Boxing is not suffering though. We've had some great fights recently and there are countless top quality bouts coming up. If anything I think the UFC's popularity has plateud and is now on the slide. The last (I think) UK UFC card was a horrible flop. A terrible show, no media interest whatsoever. UFC's peak was when Brock Lesnar was champ, and that tells us something.

I remember the 606 martial arts section and the lack of interest in it.

I didn't actually say boxing was suffering, its the politics whether its the fighters, the promoters or the governing bodies, mainly the WBA & WBC, catchweights, silver champs etc that are causing some problems. I also said about the great fights I'd read about on here & caught up on youtube & were still to come! Dana White - UFC dictator. I agree UFC has probably reached its peak but dont think its particularly on the slide, UFC 129 had reportedly 55000 in attendence although the headline fight wasn't great. With regard to the UK UFC card there was a lot of people unhappy with the line up, no real big names to interest the casual fan or the hardcore fan, way before the event, Dana White just screwing UK fans over. Brock Lesnar, like the James Toney affair was all about hype & money, the UFC are very good at this, they really know how to promote & sell, keep people interested with website, merchandising & TUF, but I think they lack class & promote it in an undignified way. Lesnar is supposed to fight JDS later this year after the final of TUF in what I think is an eliminator for his old title against Cain. We will see what he's got & if he's serious but a lot want to see him beaten.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 May 2011, 7:38 pm

@Jukebox timebomb

The thing with the old 606 martial arts thread was that it got hijacked by MMA fans & the fact there is very little martial arts televised hence giving people little to discuss. The MMA guys generally just discussed the recent fights/upcoming ones, it doesn't have the history that boxing has, so there wasn't the same old vs new, greatest rivalries or top 10 p4p or ATG debates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 03 May 2011, 12:14 am

He should move up to Welterweight or even Light-Middleweight to fight Pacquiao, eh? And yet, when he fights at Welterweight against Mayweather, it's a fight which is "killing boxing?" Hhhmm, takes a bit of explaining, that one.
//////////////
Marquez is begging to fight a welter/light middle, there's the explaining, answer this why should Pacquiao move down to please a guy he's dropped 4 times and beat and drew with? i dont expect you to answer that logically

also @ liam
dont know what im talking about lol? why because i dont agree with you i think Marquez should move up to fight Bradley, etc if he wants a big fight, Bradley would beat him imo

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 03 May 2011, 12:19 am

Steven_89 wrote:

//////////////
Marquez is begging to fight a welter/light middle, there's the explaining, answer this why should Pacquiao move down to please a guy he's dropped 4 times and beat and drew with? i dont expect you to answer that logically

also @ liam
dont know what im talking about lol? why because i dont agree with you i think Marquez should move up to fight Bradley, etc if he wants a big fight, Bradley would beat him imo

Most impartial observers had JMM winning both fights. A 3rd fight is long overdue. Why is Pac fighting a past it 40 year old instead?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 03 May 2011, 12:35 am

Steven_89 wrote:

//////////////

I never said that Pacquiao should have to drop down. So because Marquez wants a fight with Pacquiao, you now support a Lightweight fighting a Welterweight / Light-Middleweight? He clearly wanted the fight with Mayweather, too, so there's that logic out the window. The bottom line is this - you said that the Marquez-Mayweather fight was a farce of a fight which was killing the sport, as it was a case of a Lightweight fighting a Welterweight. So therefore, it'd be a farce if he, as a Lightweight, fought a Welterweight in Pacquiao.

As ever, one rule for someone you like, and another for someone you don't.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 12:38 am

88Chris05 wrote:
Steven_89 wrote:

//////////////

I never said that Pacquiao should have to drop down. So because Marquez wants a fight with Pacquiao, you now support a Lightweight fighting a Welterweight / Light-Middleweight? He clearly wanted the fight with Mayweather, too, so there's that logic out the window. The bottom line is this - you said that the Marquez-Mayweather fight was a farce of a fight which was killing the sport, as it was a case of a Lightweight fighting a Welterweight. So therefore, it'd be a farce if he, as a Lightweight, fought a Welterweight in Pacquiao.

Hopefuly after that swift bit of logic it should end such a rediculous arguement

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 1:34 am

AdZacO wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Steven_89 wrote:

//////////////

Hopefuly after that swift bit of logic it should end such a rediculous arguement

Optimistic of you. Have you met our young Steven before..?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 1:47 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
AdZacO wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:
Steven_89 wrote:

//////////////

Optimistic of you. Have you met our young Steven before..?

Was a passing slightly sarcastic comment. I have seen his inane thought process before.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 11:53 am

Thought it might have been. Special, isn't he?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 03 May 2011, 2:34 pm

Comment by Steven_89: MAYWEATHER V MARQUEZ - A genuine farce, a lightweight fighting a welterweight,

Comment by Steven_89: Marquez is in the news week in week out slating everyone, he even had a go at Alvarez recently!, get over it you lost and drew, if he wants Manny he should move up to welterweight/light middleweight the deluded idiot!
-------------

No need to add anything else.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Tue 03 May 2011, 4:11 pm

Fighters can't participate in big matches all the time. As long as decent notches are racked up as well, also if the guy is ranked top 10 in the division thats reasonable. Taking on contender level fighters is worse. Senchenko has a title defence lined up against a guy who is ranked 130th in the world. The Evander Holyfield vs Brian Nielson fight isn't good for boxing, at his age Holyfield should quit. Murray, i think, is in the stage where he is ranked at the top of his division and near a world title shot, so he doesn't want to jeopardize it by taking on dangerous opposition. But, this can backfire and the title shot be awarded to somebody else. Boxing is gaining the reputation of putting up soft fights and the big stars avoiding each other. Hopefully, some of the fights above mentioned will happen soon. This year we've seen Bradley vs Alexader, Donaire vs Montiel - so it does happen.

Sugar Ray Leonard took on the reigning LHW champ. The catchweight meant the two fighters could contest the newly created WBC SMW belt, so it was advantageous to both competitors. The titles were both WBC, its their decision and obviously they can enforce a catchweight if they want to add another belt to the fight. In his day SRL was a superstar, I don't really begrudge him gaining a shot at the LHW title, baring in mind his previous accomplishments. I doubt it affected the outcome of the match up. A fair boxer, but I can't see Lalonde defeating Leonard.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Leonard shouldn't have been able to fight for the two belts at once though.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 03 May 2011, 4:17 pm

He cant get over Manny so i said if he wants the fight he should move up, the fight doesnt interest me, or many others, why should the WBO welter champ of the world move down to fight someone he's beat and drew with, did i ever say i want to see the fight, as ever talking bile then making me out to be saying something i never said. I dont rate Marquez as high as others do i wont make any secret of that, if he's so 'great' he should move up and fight Bradley, Tim would love that fight. Then the winner may fight Khan, Ortiz, etc, Marquez wont do that however, im sure.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 03 May 2011, 4:18 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Leonard shouldn't have been able to fight for the two belts at once though.

Totally agree with you on that one, it was a joke.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 03 May 2011, 4:27 pm

First time for everything, eh? Both guys weighed in under 168, so the LHW strap shouldn't have been up. The WBC stripped Martinez, for Christ's sake!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down