The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greg Laidlaw

+25
George Carlin
100%beefy
Tattie Scones RRN
Manky-Flanker
dragonbreath
bsando
gboycottnut
UlstermaninGlasgow
21st Century Schizoid Man
RDW
Taffineastbourne
t1000advancedprototype
Janecory
welshboii15
Cryptoyourisan
hodge
Morgannwg
Imperialbigdave
tigertattie
RubyGuby
TJ1
funnyExiledScot
ScarletSpiderman
RuggerRadge2611
InjuredYetAgain
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greg Laidlaw Empty Greg Laidlaw

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

There have been a few posters waxing lyrical about Greg Laidlaw and I see from another thread that Sky even have him in as starting 9 for the Lions.
Am I missing something here? Ok, he put in a nifty wee pass for Maitland's try against England and I appreciate that he would be following a game plan but his box kicking was truly awful and either went vertically putting all his forwards in an offside position or was so far ahead of the chasers, it was just a waste. His service isn't anything special and his defence while getting better could be likened to Chris Ashton. From what I can see, he was in the team for his place kicking. Hopefully, young Kennedy will get more game time at Edinburgh next season and displace Laidlaw.
I didn't think I would ever say this but Mike Phillips is a shoo-in for the starter's role with the Lions.
God, I am in a bad mood this morning

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Greg Laidlaw Empty Re: Greg Laidlaw

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 12:21 pm

He is behind Phillips, Youngs, Care and Murray for me, he has good goal kicking but he is a liability in defense.

Phillips had a stormer on saturday, he is a big game player who can rise to the occasion, I'd take a slower pass for what he offers around the fringes and in defense.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 2:57 pm

These comments are not just harsh, but very harsh. Laidlaw had an excellent 6n
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:04 pm

Laidlaw is not the worst best scrum half, and probably would not be first choice scrum half for any of the other home nations. That said, he would be the bench option at all of the other home nations. So that makes him IMO fourth best scrum half in the home nations, and if there are any injuries a possible lions tourer (but unlikely a test squad memeber).

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed NH to home nations d'oh)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

I think that Laidlaw is still behind Phillips, Youngs and Care personally, but that's not to say he isn't turning into an excellent international 9.

His weakness is that he doesn't have much pace, and as such isn't a real threat on the break in the same way as my preferred three are, but his game management is right up there.

My own view of the Lions is that a fast-paced offloading game is the way ahead, with a strong set piece, which is why I think the others are preferrable, as they can each rip teams to shreds with pace. Laidlaw is more a thinking man's 9. You could argue that he deserves a shout purely because of the contrast he'd offer, plus his goal kicking is an excellent asset, but I think Youngs, Care and Phillips just have the edge, despite the former two not having the best of days on Saturday.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

He offered a very differnt set of Skills to Philips - so much faster around the breakdowns and his defence has been fine in this series.

Personally I do not believe Philips is a international standard scrumhalf because of the slowness of his pass.

All the potential Lions have their faults, Philips is too slow passing, Care loses his temper, Youngs is flaky. etc etc. it depends on what qualities you rate highest and what faults you are prepared to overlook who you want to play for the lions. Me I like laidlaws speed of pass and his unflappability / temperament. I would play him ahead of Philips every time especially with great backs outside him.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

I'm afraid I'm with the OP, I see plenty of "Laidlaws" as back up scrum halfs in all the welsh regions IMO - I just don't see what the lightweight chap brings. He snipes and darts but at best I'd have him alongside the likes of Martin Roberts - No offence, just my opinion thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

I think it's also important to remember that Laidlaw was only moved to 9 at the start of the tournament. Prior to that he'd been playing mainly 10 this season, and all of last season.

I'd like to see him play 9 at Edinburgh from now on and go with Scotland in the summer. I just think the Lions have better attacking options.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Laidlaw is by far the best all rounder at 9

Phillips is the best at running with ball in hand but is crap at passing (which is the main purpose of a 9 imo and this is why Laidlaw is a better 9 that phillips imo)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

What may work in Laidlaws favour is that hes a different style of player to all the others. I just dont see the point in taking Youngs AND Care. Theyre so similar, that if one gets found wanting, the chances are the other isnt going to make a difference. Along with Phillips, they all also have questionable temperments, and Australia will look to wind them up. Laidlaw doesnt get wound up easily, so if Genia does a Robert Jones in the first test, you would at least have someone who it wont work on, on the bench.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:09 pm

Laidlaw for the Lions, Wier thinking they could have won the six nations!

Are Scotland the most optimistic nation out there?

Personally i can't think of one Scottish player that would add anything to the Lions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:10 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Laidlaw for the Lions, Wier thinking they could have won the six nations!

Personally i can't think of one Scottish player that would add anything to the Lions.

yes, but youre a well known troll, so I dont read too much into your opinion
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 18 Mar 2013, 5:31 pm

I would take Laidlaw as he can play at 9 and 10. In a strong Lions team he should flourish and will likely be instructed to pass the ball more often. Phillips will probably go as well after saturdays game. Youngs and Care are very good when England are on top, but probably the worst out of all the home nations 9's when England are not on top. Murray, like most of the Ireland team, has been anonymous since after beating Wales.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Laidlaw for the Lions, Wier thinking they could have won the six nations!

you are a fudd mate.

personally i can't think of one post that you have made that had added anything to this forum.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:35 pm

Laidlaw would go as my 3rd 9, I expect Phillips to start now with Youngs to come on when the game opens up.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:37 pm

Laidlaw shouldn't tour. He's a clever player but he's slower and smaller than his competitors, never makes breaks and kicks too much. Hogg, Maitland, Scott and Visser are probably worth Gatland thinking about but I can't see him even looking at any other Scottish backs. There are a few in the pack but I think Grant's lack of experience vis-a-vis the Welsh looseheads will cost him; Gray is out-of-form, playing for a poor team and will not play much more this season; Brown, maybe, but the back-row is pretty well endowed.

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

Gray isn't out of form. He is injured. BIG difference.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

Each scrum half brings something different and Laidlaw isn't a bad scrum half just goes about doing his job none of the scrum halfs been out standing just basic each scrum half will bring something different.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Each scrum half brings something different and Laidlaw isn't a bad scrum half just goes about doing his job none of the scrum halfs been out standing just basic each scrum half will bring something different.

+1
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:52 pm

Laidlaw has been the 2nd best 9 at Edinburgh this season, so cant see him being 3rd choice in the Lions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 7:58 pm

He has barely played at 9 for Edinburgh!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:He has barely played at 9 for Edinburgh!
When he did get his opportunity he has been poor !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:These comments are not just harsh, but very harsh. Laidlaw had an excellent 6n

Sorry, Radge but can't agree with you. His place kicking was excellent, game management passable but his own performances left a lot to be desired (although I appreciate that that comment may slightly contradict my thoughts on his game management). My abiding memory is when we were right on England's line, had been "awarded" a penalty and so had a free play but instead of "risking" giving the ball to the backs or one of our two 20st locks on the hoof, he just punts the ball up into the air and hopes for the best. Ball was guddled by ther England defence, back for the kick and we got 3 points without ever having a realistic attempt for 7

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

InjuredYetAgain wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:These comments are not just harsh, but very harsh. Laidlaw had an excellent 6n

Sorry, Radge but can't agree with you. His place kicking was excellent, game management passable but his own performances left a lot to be desired (although I appreciate that that comment may slightly contradict my thoughts on his game management). My abiding memory is when we were right on England's line, had been "awarded" a penalty and so had a free play but instead of "risking" giving the ball to the backs or one of our two 20st locks on the hoof, he just punts the ball up into the air and hopes for the best. Ball was guddled by ther England defence, back for the kick and we got 3 points without ever having a realistic attempt for 7
Yup, and someone wants to show him other than needless kicking the possesion away, on how to make a break, and put in some decent defending !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by Cryptoyourisan Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Gray isn't out of form. He is injured. BIG difference.

Compare his form this season prior to injury against the previous two-three seasons and I don't think you can argue he has been playing well...

Cryptoyourisan

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:17 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Each scrum half brings something different and Laidlaw isn't a bad scrum half just goes about doing his job none of the scrum halfs been out standing just basic each scrum half will bring something different.
Game management, defending, quicksilver passing, sniping breaks, Laidlaw wont be bringing !

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

his game management is good, defending isnt weak i remember o'gara touring and he cant tackle, his passing better than most and any one can make sniping breaks and laidlaw is a goal kicker something others wont bring

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I'm afraid I'm with the OP, I see plenty of "Laidlaws" as back up scrum halfs in all the welsh regions IMO - I just don't see what the lightweight chap brings. He snipes and darts but at best I'd have him alongside the likes of Martin Roberts - No offence, just my opinion thumbsup

Tipuric could play any position outside the front 5.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJo1PhJjcXY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:49 pm

To be fair he couldn't get a game for the Dragons and we aren't too hot at the moment.The Lions.I don't think so.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

I'm a massive Laidlaw fan, but think he will probably end up as first choice back up for injuries.

He has a fantastic rugby brain, and has the best big game temperament I've seen from a Scottish player in a long time.

He is small but never shies away from a tackle - he will put his body on the line and sometimes it just doesn't pay off. However I'd say dominant tackles is far down the list of attributes you need from your 9!

I do think he needs to take less on himself though - trust his backs more, trust his 10, and just pass the ball to them sometimes instead of stopping to organise something by committee.

Again worth remembering that he only moved back to playing 9 2 games before the 6N having spent 18 months playing 10 - he's done pretty well considering.

I think he'd thrive in the Lions environment with top players around him and would let no one down as a tourist. I'd love to see him tour, but I think it will only be injury dependent.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:55 pm

He is behind Philips but ahead of Youngs and Murray - who both had horror shows on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 18 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

As a neutral, I'd see Laidlaw as a good option aside from the type A scrummie that is Ben Youngs (i.e. snappy quick looking for the break), and the type B scrummie that is Mike Phillips (i.e. big, hard to put down and loves a break)

Laidlaw is not going to snipe like Phillips or Youngs, but he brings a completely different game than most of the Home Nations SH do.

He plays more like a French 9, controlling play with organisation and a very good kicking game. He's not as weak defensively at 9, as he doesn't have guys like Roberts running down his channel, and he's a lot more confident there. He may be a speed bump, but the job of a good back row is to protect the SH, so if they do their job he won't need to make many tackles!

He's got a very good pass and he doesn't take 3 steps before he passes as well! Any of the FH's selected (probably Sexton, Farrell, Biggar) would be more than happy to have him at SH.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

The other thing to consider is that none of the other 9s have had a consistent 6N. A lot is being made of Phillips after the England game - and rightly so - but any Welshman who claims he has played anything like that all 6N is delusional.

Ben Youngs started off well, as did Care but weren't so good as the tournament went on. Murray was probably the opposite way round - really grew into the tournament.

So I think it is pretty well open, I wouldn't take Care and Youngs together, and would probably choose Care because he offers the greater attacking threat.

Phillips will tour, and from then on it is 3 people into 2 positions!

Will Laidlaw shade it for his goal kicking? We'll have to wait and see.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:03 pm

Why would his goal kicking br required?

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:30 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Why would his goal kicking br required?

To score points?

Most accurate goal kicker in the 6N could be seen as a good asset to have.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:40 pm

Any kicker who only take penalty kicks 30m or less would have a good percentage.
Laidlaw is best left home.

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Laidlaw was kicking between 40-46m give the bloke some credit the thing is alot people are picking their favourites rather than who is at the top atm and Laidlaw clearly is

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:01 pm

viewtothegym wrote:Any kicker who only take penalty kicks 30m or less would have a good percentage.
Laidlaw is best left home.

This is barely worth a response as it is abundantly clear that you didn't actually watch the 6N.

This is yet another troll in a long list of wums and needles posts that you have been doing recently - I suggest you spend time figuring out whether you are capable of actually discussing rugby.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

Not as good as Roy Laidlaw was when he played for Scotland in the 1980's.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:17 pm

Ok in rugby terms Laidlaw has only beat 1 defender the whole six nations, missed 10 tackles and only ran 19 meters with ball in hand.

He kicked some points but so did plenty of other players.

He ain't worth a Lions spot, so RDW just because you don't like what say don't mean you have to get personal.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm

If you read my post you'll see I said I don't think he will travel barring injury - but your comment about goal kicking was completely ignorant.

Where did you get your stats from? Would you class number of defenders beaten as a key stat for a scrum half?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:27 pm

Speaking to Welsh fans out on the lash on saturday, many of them were impressed with Laidlaw's management at 9 and that he may well come in handy in a tight spot. But they did not go as far to say that he should start. But most agreed he would be useful to have on the tour.

I personally think he is too slow and is actually very over rated as a player by many Scottish supporters. But I cannot sit here and dis him after his efforts in the 6 Nations. He did very well and deserves a pat on the back, and thats coming from me, who wanted Prygos ahead of him at 9 and gave him a lot of stick on here pre 6 Nations. Also doesn't help the way Johnson had the team playing.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:29 pm

Against Australia yes, very smart team with a class back row that would happily sit back and defend if they knew he wasn't a threat on the break.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:30 pm

ESPN site sorry forgot to mention it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Tue 19 Mar 2013, 7:09 am

welshboii15 wrote:Laidlaw was kicking between 40-46m give the bloke some credit the thing is alot people are picking their favourites rather than who is at the top atm and Laidlaw clearly is
Why would they want Laidlaw kicking when they would have Halfpenny and Farrell.
Phillips, Murray and Youngs for the Tour .

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Laidlaw did not really do enough to claim a place but he had a good solid series and does offer something the others don't in his calm manner and tactical awareness.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

TJ wrote:Laidlaw did not really do enough to claim a place but he had a good solid series and does offer something the others don't in his calm manner and tactical awareness.

I agree with this. I think the threat with ball in hand posed by Phillips, Youngs and Care is too important to ignore, and whilst each have flaws, I take the point about the quality of the Aussie back row and Genia, and the importance of giving them something to think about before spreading out to cover the wider channels. I also think tempo is going to be key in this series, and Laidlaw just isn't an instinctive enough attacking player. He'll be scanning the horizon for space long after Care has tapped and gone.

In Laidlaw's favour is the contrast he'd bring - the others are all high pace highly strung operatives, prone to gettting knocked off their game. Laidlaw is more composed. His goal kicking is also a big asset, and he doesn't seem to be affected by the conditions as much as others (Halfpenny couldn't hit a barn door at Murrayfield).

I don't think he'll travel, but I'd rank him alongside Connor Murray as the standbye alternatives.

As for his Edinburgh form this season, he's only played two games at 9 as far as I can recall. Most of his performances this season have come at 10, whereas Rees has always played 9 throughout his career. Hardly surprising that Laidlaw struggled in his first start at 9. Makes his 6 Nations performances all the more impressive if you ask me.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 20 Mar 2013, 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm a massive Laidlaw fan, but think he will probably end up as first choice back up for injuries.

He has a fantastic rugby brain, and has the best big game temperament I've seen from a Scottish player in a long time.

He is small but never shies away from a tackle - he will put his body on the line and sometimes it just doesn't pay off. However I'd say dominant tackles is far down the list of attributes you need from your 9!

I do think he needs to take less on himself though - trust his backs more, trust his 10, and just pass the ball to them sometimes instead of stopping to organise something by committee.

Again worth remembering that he only moved back to playing 9 2 games before the 6N having spent 18 months playing 10 - he's done pretty well considering.

I think he'd thrive in the Lions environment with top players around him and would let no one down as a tourist. I'd love to see him tour, but I think it will only be injury dependent.

Now that is just outright funny. Not many people make Ashton look a destructive tackler but he does. Laidlaw is just a very ordinary player who brings nothing except goalkicking. Hey if we pick him at 9 Farrell at 10 and Halfpenny at 15 at least we will never miss a kick

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

Yet another person who doesn’t read what posts are actually saying…

I was saying that he at least puts his body on the line and goes in for tackles and is committed to trying to tackle – because he is so small it doesn’t always work out. I’m not claiming he is a good defender, I am saying he at least has the right attitude and commitment and is only in inhibited by his size.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next