The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Centre problems for the Lions

+50
Liam
mikey_philVIII
bsando
Pat_Mustard
Seagultaf
Imperialbigdave
R!skysports
dgttaylor
hugehandoff
Wi11
BigTrevsbigmac
Feckless Rogue
kingjohn7
Sgt_Pooly
Breadvan
BlueNote
GunsGerms
gleesonisgod
Newsilure
theslosty
RuggerRadge2611
The Great Aukster
geoff998rugby
mckay1402
nathan
fa0019
Glas a du
rodders
21st Century Schizoid Man
Tiger/Chief
InjuredYetAgain
formerly known as Sam
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
100%beefy
hodge
LondonTiger
flyhalffactory
Shifty
t1000advancedprototype
TJ1
Notch
majesticimperialman
Morgannwg
welshboii15
maestegmafia
bluestonevedder
RubyGuby
Triangulation
Aelandor
54 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Centre problems for the Lions - Page 4 Empty Centre problems for the Lions

Post by Aelandor Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Does anyone see any glimmer of hope for the lions in their possible centre pairings?
Looking back on the Wales v. England game the best piece of centre play was the run, dummy and offload by Tipuric for Cuthbert's 2nd try.
Who does anyone realistically see as the 1st choice pairing?

Aelandor

Back to top Go down

Centre problems for the Lions - Page 4 Empty Re: Centre problems for the Lions

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't understand how you can rate him but not as a centre, he's only ever played centre.

It's like me saying I rate Adam Jones but not at prop

In all fairness I would love to see Jones at 13 or FB!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

While we're on the subject I would love to see a lions centre pairing of Jenkins and Gray!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:54 pm

We've got Bath available on AP game Blue, mustard squad

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:57 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:You obviously dislike him Maes, I'm not going to change your opinion. He's a special player imo.

No I really rate him, just not as a centre. Thought that was very clear.

I can't see how you rate him as a winger when he is clearly not quick enough, nowhere near agile enough and has never played wing for club or country outside his very fresh beginings at Leicester!!!

If he was playing for Samoa he would be on the wing or used as an impact 12 off the bench. Manu is a bit inconsistent for me and would be a better player for England on the wing.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I don't understand how you can rate him but not as a centre, he's only ever played centre.

No it isn't at all like saying that.

I think Manu has all the attributes playing as a centre to be a very good winger. Same as Gatland saw that Jamie Roberts didn't have the pace for Fullback/Wing and moved him, successfully to centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:03 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree Maes, why move a world class centre to wing??

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:07 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

I think Manu has all the attributes playing as a centre to be a very good winger. Same as Gatland saw that Jamie Roberts didn't have the pace for Fullback/Wing and moved him, successfully to centre.

Maes

What attributes do you determine Tuilagi to have to allow him to excel on the wing?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree Maes, why move a world class centre to wing??

I wouldn't, in my mind Tuilagi is most definitely not a world class centre. A world class centre wouldn't have butchered a try in the opening five minutes of a Grand Slam finale, I can't remember O'Driscoll or Conrad Smith doing that, can you?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:46 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Maes

What attributes do you determine Tuilagi to have to allow him to excel on the wing?

Self confidence, pace, strength and a hunger for the try line.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Maes

I'll give you 3 of the 4, but pace Shocked He's pretty hefty and struggles to get going.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:01 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Maes

I'll give you 3 of the 4, but pace Shocked He's pretty hefty and struggles to get going.
I thought he looked very quick last year vs Wales at Twickers, and for that try against France. His strength will make up for any lack of pace he has. He is quick enough.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Maes

I thought he looked very quick last year vs Wales at Twickers, and for that try against France. His strength will make up for any lack of pace he has. He is quick enough.

He does turn like an oil tanker too, the test would be seeing Cuthbert, Visser, Ioane chip 50 yards behind him and watch a footrace... That'd be pretty tough viewing I think.

But that said I was partly wrong about him to begin with, so for arguments sake I wouldn't mind seeing if he could play wing.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:11 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
thebluesmancometh wrote:

Maes

He does turn like an oil tanker too, the test would be seeing Cuthbert, Visser, Ioane chip 50 yards behind him and watch a footrace... That'd be pretty tough viewing I think.

But that said I was partly wrong about him to begin with, so for arguments sake I wouldn't mind seeing if he could play wing.

I think Gatland has a good eye for moving players and selecting them in the right place. I don't care who's in or where they play as long as we win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:18 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree Maes, why move a world class centre to wing??

I wouldn't, in my mind Tuilagi is most definitely not a world class centre. A world class centre wouldn't have butchered a try in the opening five minutes of a Grand Slam finale, I can't remember O'Driscoll or Conrad Smith doing that, can you?

Can I imagine a 21yo Smith or BOD making a mistake in high pressure match....yes I could.

He's 21! He's has some outstanding attributes that put him in the top bracket but he scarily he can and will get better.

Once he starts getting a bit more awareness he'll be even more of a threat, remember he's 21.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:24 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Can I imagine a 21yo Smith or BOD making a mistake in high pressure match....yes I could.

He's 21! He's has some outstanding attributes that put him in the top bracket but he scarily he can and will get better.

Once he starts getting a bit more awareness he'll be even more of a threat, remember he's 21.

BOD Scored a hat-trick on his six nations debut in Paris and kind of went onwards and upwards from there Player of the tournament three times.

Here is smiths debut, he was exceptional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPKSH73xCwk

Those lads are World class centres Tuilagi is not.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 pm

I can show you clips of Tuilagi destroying Smith also, is Smith not world class now?

Tuilagi makes mistakes as does any young player, he is top draw and will 100% travel with the lions as a centre.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Tuilagi is a distinctly limited player. Not fit to lace BODs shoes. Its only 'cos of the dearth of decent centres in England he is considered so good

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I can show you clips of Tuilagi destroying Smith also, is Smith not world class now?

Tuilagi makes mistakes as does any young player, he is top draw and will 100% travel with the lions as a centre.
He has already gone from World Class to top draw in your opinion on this thread.

Please show me some clips of Tuilagi "DESTROYING" Conrad Smith, who I am pretty sure everyone would agree is still a world class player.

If you are searching for clips of when the remains of Britain's infamous stomach bug had kept Smith and his Kiwi team mates in bed all week then I don't think anyone will take you seriously.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Tuilagi is world class.

I'll agree to disagree, we obviously watch different sports.

Lets see who Gatland takes on the plane eh Wink

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:18 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Tuilagi is world class.

I'll agree to disagree, we obviously watch different sports.

Lets see who Gatland takes on the plane eh Wink

I haven't said he wont or that he shouldn't go.

I'm saying if I were choosing I'd take him as a winger and that I do not think he is a world class centre. To be frank he is not even one of the top centres in the northern hemisphere. He has good days and bad.

In my opinion he and we, Lions supporters one and all, would all have a lot more good days if he was on the wing.

No where are your clips of Tuilagi destroying Conrad Smith?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Type Tuilagi in YouTube or watch Eng v NZ.

He doesn't play wing, he's a centre and he'll rightly travel as a centre. It's a pointless debate as your opinion means little as he won't play wing.

I think Phillips would make a better 6 than 9 but it won't happen.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Type Tuilagi in YouTube or watch Eng v NZ.

He doesn't play wing, he's a centre and he'll rightly travel as a centre. It's a pointless debate as your opinion means little as he won't play wing.

I think Phillips would make a better 6 than 9 but it won't happen.

Pooly we have seen such mixed performances from Tuilagi that he may well be another Matt Banahan or Barry John Mather type player.

He is inconsistent, he will likely make the tour but I don't expect him to displace better centres without either improving his ability to play others into the game.

His plus points are very apparent, but his negatives are more apparent each big game.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:09 am

Tuilagi on his day offers something completely different to any other centre in the NH. I think against Wales he had a real off day and looked a shadow of what he is capable on his day. Roberts on the other hand was superb and it was nice to see him actually throw a pass for once, one set up North for his run and the second sent Tips on his way I do believe? He also defender superbly and if he can continue that form through till the Lions then he would start for me. Lions experience counts for allot also.

Then you have JD who played well against England like many, seemed to regain some form after his dreadful start at the beginning of the campaign. He was my starting 13 before the 6N now i'm not so sure. We'll have to see in the warm up games.

BOD has been hot and cold and is past his best but again Lions experience and if he could reignite that partnership with Roberts the Lions are onto a real winner. I wouldn't personally start him but for experience he will tour.

I think i'd go with 12. Roberts 13. Tuilagi but this could change in the warm up games like many other selections can.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:48 am

Liam - I don't think Tuilagi had an off day against Wales he was just well shackled and the defenders did their job well. I appreciate his game awareness and distribution was poor that day though. He needs space to be destructive and that's why I would play him alongside BOD who can create that sort of space for him. I can even see Gatland playing North and BOD together in the centre, how do you think the aussies would like that thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:06 am

Why do people keep taking about playing people out of position. Tuilagi is a centre, North is a wing, SOB is a flanker not an 8 as I keep reading on other posts, if they travel which they should its because of the job they do in their position not for another position

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:59 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Why do people keep taking about playing people out of position. Tuilagi is a centre, North is a wing, SOB is a flanker not an 8 as I keep reading on other posts, if they travel which they should its because of the job they do in their position not for another position

If you stuck by that rule, Jamie Roberts is a Fullback and Tom Youngs a centre.

Some players are picked in a position for their country or club out of either necessity or naivety. Tuilagi has only one attribute suited to being a centre, and thats strength. He only works if he has a good player next to him making the gaps and the mismatches. The making the gaps and mismatches is what centres are meant to be doing.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Tuilagi looking terrible at centre today....... Whistle

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:13 pm

welshboii15 wrote:Why do people keep taking about playing people out of position. Tuilagi is a centre, North is a wing, SOB is a flanker not an 8 as I keep reading on other posts, if they travel which they should its because of the job they do in their position not for another position

So you won't play Warburton and Tups together then as they both are openside flankers Shocked
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:26 pm

More terrible centre play by Tuilagi Sad

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:27 pm

BamBam wrote:More terrible centre play by Tuilagi Sad

So bad, such a poor centre lol

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Scored two wingers tries... I watched the game earlier.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:56 pm

They weren't winger tries, he played centre.

Caused havoc in the Saints back all day, cracking CENTRE performance.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:They weren't winger tries, he played centre.

Caused havoc in the Saints back all day, cracking CENTRE performance.

Why was it a cracking centre performance in your opinion?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I think Gatland will be licking his lips at the potential for Roberts and BOD linking up so well again.

which is exactly the sam mistake SCW made thinking RWC 2003 players ould perform in 2005. Neither Roberts or BOD, but particularly BOD, are in form.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:31 pm

100%beefy wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:I think Gatland will be licking his lips at the potential for Roberts and BOD linking up so well again.

which is exactly the sam mistake SCW made thinking RWC 2003 players ould perform in 2005. Neither Roberts or BOD, but particularly BOD, are in form.

Roberts was looking pretty handy in the last two games. Fantastic in defence but he threw his weight about a bit in attack too.

Bod again was sublime in the Wales match, though I think injury forced his hand in the remaining fixtures. We need an outside centre that can create tries like the one BOD did for Zebo.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Roberts was looking pretty handy in the last two games. Fantastic in defence but he threw his weight about a bit in attack too.

Bod again was sublime in the Wales match, though I think injury forced his hand in the remaining fixtures. We need an outside centre that can create tries like the one BOD did for Zebo.

Get away with throwing a forward pass you mean?

Seriously, BOD was outstanding against Wales but faded badly as the 6N went on, to the extent that he looked a long was past his best. One season too far?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Get away with throwing a forward pass you mean?

Seriously, BOD was outstanding against Wales but faded badly as the 6N went on, to the extent that he looked a long was past his best. One season too far?

Well he has a few weeks to recover from injuries and make the play offs. He showed enough to prove he is still a class act. Wouldl be a great Captain too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 am

look BOD at his best is a game changing legend and one of the few tourists that the aussies will respect, but we cannot, absolutely cannot, build our attack around his creaking frame, we need a general in midfield who will stay the course and we just do not have one. In the NH such players are few and far between, I mean Guscot and Carling were probably the best pair england have had in modern rugby and only greenwood looked like being a player who could fill those shoes. BOD of course 4 years ago but not now and neither wales or anyon else have a natural, JD2 perhaps but even he is a finisher not a creator....Manu creates through route 1 so i really think he might figure but it all relies on very very quick ball. This tour will have to almost circumvent midfield, using such quick ball on the front foot we can get the back 3 into play.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:41 am

Judging BOD on this 6 Nations in a poor Irish team is laughable. I'd like to judge him on the previous 10 years. For me he should be Captain and 1 of the test centres. He is the one that can create space for those outside him as he has the guile and skill to do this unlike the other boshers thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:25 am

RubyGuby wrote:Judging BOD on this 6 Nations in a poor Irish team is laughable. I'd like to judge him on the previous 10 years. For me he should be Captain and 1 of the test centres. He is the one that can create space for those outside him as he has the guile and skill to do this unlike the other boshers thumbsup

If you are judging players on their last 10 years then outside half is between Steve Jones and Wilkinson, Shane Williams must tour, etc etc.

The fact is he is 34 years of age, and his biggest asset (pace) is fading fast. He was player of the Championship 3 times, but the last time was 4 years ago. He played a stormer against Wales, but lets be honest for 50mins Wales were woeful! The Lions captain must be first choice in his position and with three outstanding centres ahead of him and a number of others looking good also, BOD will be struggling to tour.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:38 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Judging BOD on this 6 Nations in a poor Irish team is laughable. I'd like to judge him on the previous 10 years. For me he should be Captain and 1 of the test centres. He is the one that can create space for those outside him as he has the guile and skill to do this unlike the other boshers thumbsup

it's laughable to include a player who is in poor form and has fitness questions just because he used to be good once

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:08 pm

100%beefy wrote:

it's laughable to include a player who is in poor form and has fitness questions just because he used to be good once

Maybe thats different in this case, he wasn't just good once, he was one of the best ever. And he showed enough of that this six nations and previously for Leinster to be seriously considered. Especially for his leadership qualities and experience.

He is the man to turn to when your chips are down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:50 pm

I don't think there was any centre in the 6N who was much better than BOD in fairness.

He was superb against Wales, decent against France and Italy, was quiet against England and Scotland but considering the incompetence of Ireland and a couple of knocks he picked up, he hardly had that bad a tournament.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:34 am

the fact is there is a paucity of talent at 12/13 and very little creativity or we wouldn't even be considering an out of form BOD...true no 6 nations centre did much of note and i fBOD suddenly fnds form then all well and good, but to pick him because he is a class player who is now past his best is a huge sign that we are buggered before we even begin.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 am

100%beefy wrote:the fact is there is a paucity of talent at 12/13 and very little creativity or we wouldn't even be considering an out of form BOD...true no 6 nations centre did much of note and i fBOD suddenly fnds form then all well and good, but to pick him because he is a class player who is now past his best is a huge sign that we are buggered before we even begin.

Matt Scott had a good series showed a bit of real class. Because he is a scot and new to the scene he is disregarded tho. Few outside backs did anything much in the 6N tho for sure.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am

I think Matt Scott is very average personally.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:13 am

I'd put Scott on par with Marshall, Williams and 12trees personally.

Roberts, Davies and Tuilagi have to travel, but another is beyond me. BOD has been squeezing the last ounces of athleticism out of his self for 12 months now!!

I think the likes of Hook and Armitage might be considered as centre options because of our lack, and if Sextons not fit we have little creativity at 10 either meaning Hook has to travel!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I think Matt Scott is very average personally.

My point made
2nd in the stats for centres in the six nations IIRC. A very good player but a newb.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:19 am

Stats can be misleading, one clean break can make up for 4 poor performances.

I've seen quite a bit of Scott this 6N and last, similar for Edinburgh where he's been very poor.

I'm not a fan, I'd have him well down the pecking list for 12's and certainly not a Lions candidate.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am

You clearly haven't been watching the same games then or the same player. He was clearly one of the best ( of a poor bunch) of centres this six nations. Making good yards consistently, making a lot of tackles and missing very few, good hands. A top player in the making. IIRC he played one match as a sub in 2012 6N

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next