The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Owen to retire

+8
JamesLincs
Dolphin Ziggler
Liam
Shot 21 LCFC
NickisBHAFC
Kay Fabe
Crimey
GSC
12 posters

Go down

Michael Owen to retire Empty Michael Owen to retire

Post by GSC Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am

Sad thinking about what might've been if not for injuries. Thought he was a cert to be England's top scorer
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Michael Owen to retire Empty Re: Michael Owen to retire

Post by Crimey Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

His career wasn't just ruined by injuries, but bad career choices, the moves to Real Madrid, Newcastle and Man United were all poor choices. I can understand why he made the move to Real Madrid, and he was relatively successful given how little playing time he was given, but it stalled his career completely and he never recovered. He should have always returned to Liverpool after Madrid, or at the very least after he left Newcastle where Liverpool were reportedly very interested in signing him. His position as a Liverpool home-grown player and already a legend would have got him games and maybe he could have started to rebuild his career. Moving to United pretty much killed his career as he was already being treated like a 40 year old player in his early 30s.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm

He wanted to go to Liverpool after Real Madrid, Liverpool had a bid of around £11m but Newcastle were desperate to sign him and made a ludicrous offer of £18m for him knowing no-one else would match it, he was desperate to be playing regular first team football the season leading up to the 2006 World Cup so it was a no-brainer, in hindsight it was a poor move but you could easily see why he choose, he was gauranteed first team football, the Geordies love their Centre Forwards, Shearer was still a first teamer and he was offered ridiculous money, I've never doubted that his belief would be to go their for two years, do well then move on but injuries ruined him, he rushed back to early to make the World Cup and it killed him.

I'm not sure if he had the chance to go back to Liverpool in 09, I think if he did he would have but I do recall it was highlighted that Man Utd's basic wage was the lowest he was offered by any interested club, he went there to win trophies, you can't fault a player for choosing that over easy money

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm not sure whether that Liverpool ever made an actual offer in 2009, but I'm pretty sure there was strong suggestion that if Owen was interested, he could come back.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Very sad day in English football for sure. The bloke is a complete legend in the game, he also showed passion and desire when he wore the England shirt - something none of the players these days do. He will be missed for sure, but he made it clear he doesn't want to drop out of the Prem, so i guess he wants to quite whilst he can sort of thing.

Memorys

England 5-1 Germany - Hatrick

Man United 4-3 Man City - 90th min winner, one of the best moments in the Premiership IMO

His wonder goal in the 1998 World Cup.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:53 pm

4th all time leading England goalscorer despite only playing from 98-08. He would be miles ahead as the leading scorer if he was still playing for them now. As a Leicester fan, none of his club moments will be up their with my greatest football memories, but as an England fan the hat-trick against Germany is probably the greatest international memory (along with the David Beckham free kick against Greece). Also despite only being 10 at the time, I can still vividly remember the goal against Argentina.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Great player who was destined for greatness but injury prevented what could have been an even better career than what he has achieved which is saying something. I think liverpool's mis management of his injuries at such a young age didn't help, being rushed back when he wasn't ready and when his body was still developing. Who can blame them though because only what, 2/3 years later he was picking up the ballon dor?

Unlucky again at Newcastle but still managed 30 goals in 70/80 games which is pretty good going. Also unlucky with injuries which we'rent his fault, such as against Spurs with the metetarasal injury and also for England, when he fell awkwardly against Sweden.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Always a favourite. Goalscoring instinct is always one of the most exciting things to watch.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:17 pm

i think theres no doubt he should of rejoined liverpool after madrid

he would almost certainly be england all time record scorer now

it really is a shame, because he was world class. however, i see he is currently 7th in the all time premier league top scorers, which is a fantastic personal achievement. and am i right in thinking he has 2 league medals? did he get one for united and madrid?

my most memorable moment is his goal against the argies, i was only 11, but i remember being sat on the floor infront of tele, just willing him to keep going, and he did and scored one of my favourite all time goals

Last edited by JamesLincs on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

not a shock, however it is a shame. Injuries cut short, what was turning into a glorious career

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:25 pm

What might have been? Never the same player after that ill-advised move to Madrid, or that career-wrecking injury against Sweden in 2006. Could have been England's greatest ever striker otherwise.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm

I feel some of the praise for Owen is a bit overdone. Yes, he was a natural goal scorer and delivered at the highest level from a young age. However, he didn't sufficiently build upon his early performances and it wasn't all down to injury. Too many poor decisions as to the choice of his clubs and a lack of hunger to get on the pitch characterised his later years.

In my view, a very good England footballer but ultimately not a great one.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:52 am

His last minute goal in the 2001 fa cup final was his best club moment, well for a neutral like me. Left Dixon (I think) for dead.

A very good player who could have been a great one. The pace he lost after the hamstring injuries put pay to that.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 pm

Great player, very proud of his efforts in an england shirt. Never let anyone down.

I cant help but think the injury against sweden was where it all went wrong. A freak injury andwwithout it I have no doubt he would have beaten charlton's goalscoring record. That injury seriously messed up our plans at the world cup that year.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down