The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

+35
Josiah Maiestas
NickisBHAFC
Johnyjeep
TopoftheChops
Chydremion
prostaff85
ALPanorak
kwinigolfer
dummy_half
kingraf
walktall2209
break_in_the_fifth
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
Jahu
socal1976
summerblues
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
LuvSports!
banbrotam
hawkeye
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
CAS
lags72
HM Murdock
Cogen
JuliusHMarx
carrieg4
The Special Juan
ryan86
laverfan
lydian
Silver
39 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 3 Empty Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by Silver Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

After watching Rafael Nadal complete a triumphant hardcourt transition at Indian Wells and break his own record for Masters titles won, the tour rumbles on and circles the wagons at Key Biscayne, Miami. The Miami Masters has been held here since 1987, after originally setting up at none other than Delray Beach in 1985. The cream generally seems to rise to the top at Miami, and by far the most prolific winner of the tournament is Andre Agassi, who notched up an amazing six titles over the course of his career. Amongst currently active players who are present at the 2013 tournament, only Djokovic, Murray and Davydenko have lifted the title previously - though Berdych was a finalist in 2010. Although Federer and Nadal are missing, the vast majority of the tour seems to have turned up, and hopefully we'll have an interesting tournament this year.

Prize: $719,160 (purse of $5,185,625), which marks an increase from last year. And of course, 1000 precious ranking points are on offer to the winner.
Defending champion is Novak Djokovic, who defeated Andy Murray in straight sets in 2012. He also won the 2011 tournament, and is therefore going for a hat-trick of wins.
Click for an updated draw on the ATP website.
Morning sessions typically begin at 11:00 local time, and evening sessions around 20:00.

Last edited by Silver on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:55 am; edited 19 times in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 24 Mar 2013, 11:49 am

Hawkeye, I take it then that next time Murray plays Almagro in a slam you will be punting on the Spaniard? If so you would be the only one.

If we are judging players on slams and masters as you seem to want to then lets look at Murray's stats in slams. He has reached the semis in ten of the last thirteen slams played so that stat matches up very well with Federer (who has reached nine), Nadal (when fit) has reached nine as well and Djokovic who has reached eleven. Masters stats I don't have to hand but would imagine they'd be similar. Now unless you can find me another player out there to equal those stats of Murray to displace him out of top four then you really have no case to answer for.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by HM Murdock Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

hawkeye wrote:I think lydian's point about waiting until they have all hung up their racquets before judging holds more weight than taking out a selective period that favors one player.
I'm losing track of when to talk about. We can't put too much weight on the present and recent past as it favours Novak and Andy. So we have to wait until their careers are over.

But other wise posters are already telling us what the future will conclude:
hawkeye wrote:Danny_1982.You like many can talk about Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray as a group "The top four" but stats and history will see things a little clearer. Federer and Nadal will be remembered as the amazing two. Sorry...

Yet this vision of the future appears uncannily like judging the players on how their careers stand today.

Maybe the best policy is to assume things haven't changed since 2010, and then re-assess at the end of everyone's careers. That way we can pretend that Fedal domination never ended!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

There appears to be an absence of inspiring matches today.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:17 pm

Haas through after beating Dolgo Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 3 3845856932

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Excellent display from Tommy, particularly given the conditions. Dolgo about an inch off making shot of the year!

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Dolgo about an inch off making shot of the year!
Yes, but I have to admit I am not too hung up on those types of shots. They are sort of low probability trick shots and obviously sometimes they will work, but that will always be as much about luck as anything.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

Haas isn't bad for a near 35yo guy from THAT generation of players Wink
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:38 pm

As it's gone unnoticed (by me), well done to Daveed for getting back to number 4.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Tipsy's closing in on a decent win here. The bookies had Anderson as the slight favourite.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:12 pm

Weird how beanpole Anderson capitulated there.

See Djokovic has the front of his arm taped, last week it was behind his elbow...if he's developing tennis elbow he could be in real trouble as they're a bitch to clear up. Any changes in racquet, string setup could be the culprit.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

I didn't see it, I'm just following the scores, but maybe he took badly to squandering a minibreak in the 2nd set tie break. Whatever happened, it's a very strange capitulation from the big man.

That's weird about Djokovic. If he's going to get hit by any injury in his career surely it's got to be something leg related? The only thing to do is keep an eye on it and not jump to conclusions. Who knows, maybe Pierre bit him Laugh
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:41 pm

He wins anyway. His next match v Haas will be very interesting.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

The Special Juan wrote:He wins anyway. His next match v Haas will be very interesting.
They had a relatively close one last summer. I would be happy if Haas could make a match out of this one too but I think Nole is now playing better and with more confidence, I am worried it will be quite one-sided.

BTW, pretty sad line-up today, there were few interesting matches.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:32 pm

Jurgen Meltdown striking again.

I've never known someone to get broken so often when serving for the set.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

Ha, I hadn't realised that this was the 4th time this year that Ferrer has beaten Fognini.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:12 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I didn't see it, I'm just following the scores, but maybe he took badly to squandering a minibreak in the 2nd set tie break. Whatever happened, it's a very strange capitulation from the big man.

That's weird about Djokovic. If he's going to get hit by any injury in his career surely it's got to be something leg related? The only thing to do is keep an eye on it and not jump to conclusions. Who knows, maybe Pierre bit him Laugh

It is a little comical that the world #1 one has a french poodle named Pierre, I think that is probably his ladies doing at least I hope so. I think Novak looks pretty healthy to me if he had really bad arm problems or was developing arm problems I think we would see it in his play but against devarman his foreahand and serve looked pretty good.

Got to love Haas winning, a talented and successful pro who could have had a lot more success if he had a bit better luck with injuries.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:18 pm

socal1976 wrote:

It is a little comical that the world #1 one has a french poodle named Pierre

Ha ha! Pet and owner appear perfectly suited. I hope he keeps it well away from Rafa apparently he's terrified of dogs...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

Goffin is out 63 64.
Almagro is on good form this event...he may go deep.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

Wow, Seppi is hitting it hard against Bellucci. Those 3 BHs were very nicely timed. Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:56 pm

It sounds like there are a lot of Bellucci fans in the crowd.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar 2013, 7:45 pm

Anyone watching Murray vs Dimitrov?
BB, you must enjoy the style of tennis Dimitrov plays, no? I do, he's definitely getting better and has a lot of easy well timed power in his game, plus talent in abundance.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

Got to say Dimitrov looking the part here. Great movement. On the front foot. Strong off both wings.

Murray not helping himself by playing too deep and a bit conservative... And 33% first serves isn't going to help... But he's being outplayed at the moment.

A shock looks on the cards here unless Murray ups his serve % and starts playing on the front foot.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:05 pm

Lydian

Even though I'm a Murray fan I have to admit the style, speed, power and variety of Dimitrov is great to watch.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

I'm not sure if I've talked about this b4 with you lydian, but for me dimi needs to improve his footwork. He makes it harder for himself by being a step slow and not getting in the right position.
It's not a case of foot speed as he has got some good wheels but it seems quite often he is out of position and cannot plant as well or will be too far back and will lose his stranglehold in a point he was dictating.

thoughts?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

danny this is reminiscent of dimi's match with djoko in IW and then he fell apart and djoko got his act together but dimi threw away that first set.

Sorry to say but i kind of hope he disappoints your man today, i want these youngsters to come through now!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

He needs to stop double faulting whenever he's serving for the set.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:16 pm

Very reminiscent!! In fact virtually identical.

Signs that whilst all the tools are there, maybe mentally he isn't there just yet.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:17 pm

You've got to almost feel for Dimitrov there, he's so close to knocking on the big guys door, it may not be this match but I think he will get there.

LS, perhaps, I think he's massively over thinking on court and commits abit too soon to left or right. Murray has said before that Dimitrov is a great athlete. It'll come together in time as his court craft evolves further.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:20 pm

Will probably end up in a TB with Dimitrov taking the set by a whisker.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:21 pm

Still don't like the way Murray is playing.

Very safe. Like watching 2011 version of Murray.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:22 pm

Murray' errors and Dimitrov's serve. What fun!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:24 pm

This is hard to predict... On the face of it murray playing nowhere near well enough to win the set.

Dimitrov is... But looks likely to choke if he gets near a set point!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:35 pm

and Dimitrov does, Crying or Very sad, and he was up a mini break. Murray has the set.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

Murray should be charged with theft after that!

Dimitrov should have played a bit more sensible though. Crazy risky tennis. Sure, go for it when it's there... But if you go for it when it's not then more often than not you'll cough up errors.

Don't question his technique, but I question his shot selection.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:41 pm

You need mental toughness, athletic ability and actual be good at the technical stuff of hitting the ball. Dmitrov only has 2 and it can only get you so far. Against players of a similiar level, it can get you through because they'll likely keep giving you chances. Against the top half dozen or so, you don't get these second chances.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Murray in control now though still a little patchy. Dimitrov looks close to cracking the big time but has those mental weaknesses that he must address. Still on this evidence I would say he is the best of the youngsters in terms of all-round game.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

Murray wins 7-6 6-3.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

Well done Murray, toughed it out but enough to see from Dimi to suggest he's the most explosive talent of the young ones. I don't think he has a fundamental mental weakness...Federer used to be like this...he's getting closer and closer to breaking through.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

Good performance from Andy. I'm genuinely impressed with Dimi and see no reason why he can't be in the Top 10 by the end of this year

Typical Andy, who almost in that frustrating masochistic way of his asks his opponenet to give him their best shot and then punch drunk and out for the count, gets into his glorious counter-punching mode

Just the match he needed to finally shake off the cobwebs

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:57 pm

Murray started moving Dimi around in the second set. Nothing too risky, but playing further up the court and forcing Dimi into a BH to BH battle that he was never going to win.

Real signs for Dimitrov though. He's really streaky but the talent is there. I must admit I do wonder if the backhand will ever be reliable enough to reach the very top. Murray broke it down in the end. As beatyful as they look, SHBH's are never as robust.

I personally think Raonic is slightly ahead as the most likely youngster to breakthrough.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:12 pm

If Raonic is the future, then the weak era is back!! Please don't tell me, that we're going to go back to the time of two dimensional play

Kei, Dimi, Dolgo - please don't allow this to hapen!!

Dimi, when you consider that the peak of a player is now more older, has the same flaws that Roger had at a similar age - one day they will be sorted

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

I saw enough from Dimitrov to make me think he'll be near the top in a few years time but how near there I don't know. He started off playing above himself then leveled out. He seems to have a bad case of Clincher's Disease and Double Faultitis. That's 3 big sets he's failed to serve out this year: 2 against Murray and 1 against Djokvic.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

Falla misses 2 MPs against Berdych. Third set.

Tsonga beats Nieminen in straight sets.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 25 Mar 2013, 11:19 pm

Dimitrov by far has the best all-round game of the youngsters coming through but has to work on those mental flaws. Raonic is just too one-dimensional for me. He is all about serve and doesn't have a heck of a lot else going for him. Tomic is a more all-round player but his mental frailties need majorly addressing.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 26 Mar 2013, 10:58 am

This is more like it; some superb matches today. I reckon Cilic v Tsonga will be match of the day, followed by Daveed v Nishikori. I'm going for the upset in the latter match for no reason at all.

Allez Querrey!
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

laverfan wrote:Falla misses 2 MPs against Berdych. Third set.

Wow, really? I'm amazed Falla ran the Berd close.

Some good matches today, like TSJ I'm hoping for a Kei upset special! And Gasquet - Almagro should be a fun one, I'm hoping for lots of CC backhand warfare. Golden opportunity for Melzer or Ramos to make a Masters QF!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

I am looking forward to Simon-Tipsarevic. Allez Simon!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm

Silver wrote:
laverfan wrote:Falla misses 2 MPs against Berdych. Third set.

Wow, really? I'm amazed Falla ran the Berd close.

Some good matches today, like TSJ I'm hoping for a Kei upset special! And Gasquet - Almagro should be a fun one, I'm hoping for lots of CC backhand warfare. Golden opportunity for Melzer or Ramos to make a Masters QF!

At 15-15 5-3, Falla BH went a bit wide, otherwise Falla had it in the bag. Berdych started hammering down on Falla from that point on and never looked back.

In contrast, Isner with that raw power could do nothing with Cilic, despite 20 aces. Too many errors.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info LF Hug you saw the whole match? Shame Falla couldn't quite manage it, that would've been quite the scalp for him, and he's threatened pulling it off a few times in the past...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 26 Mar 2013, 1:10 pm

Yes, I did, Silver. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next