The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

+35
Josiah Maiestas
NickisBHAFC
Johnyjeep
TopoftheChops
Chydremion
prostaff85
ALPanorak
kwinigolfer
dummy_half
kingraf
walktall2209
break_in_the_fifth
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
Jahu
socal1976
summerblues
Danny_1982
CaledonianCraig
LuvSports!
banbrotam
hawkeye
Henman Bill
Born Slippy
CAS
lags72
HM Murdock
Cogen
JuliusHMarx
carrieg4
The Special Juan
ryan86
laverfan
lydian
Silver
39 posters

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 13 Empty Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by Silver Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

First topic message reminder :

After watching Rafael Nadal complete a triumphant hardcourt transition at Indian Wells and break his own record for Masters titles won, the tour rumbles on and circles the wagons at Key Biscayne, Miami. The Miami Masters has been held here since 1987, after originally setting up at none other than Delray Beach in 1985. The cream generally seems to rise to the top at Miami, and by far the most prolific winner of the tournament is Andre Agassi, who notched up an amazing six titles over the course of his career. Amongst currently active players who are present at the 2013 tournament, only Djokovic, Murray and Davydenko have lifted the title previously - though Berdych was a finalist in 2010. Although Federer and Nadal are missing, the vast majority of the tour seems to have turned up, and hopefully we'll have an interesting tournament this year.

Prize: $719,160 (purse of $5,185,625), which marks an increase from last year. And of course, 1000 precious ranking points are on offer to the winner.
Defending champion is Novak Djokovic, who defeated Andy Murray in straight sets in 2012. He also won the 2011 tournament, and is therefore going for a hat-trick of wins.
Click for an updated draw on the ATP website.
Morning sessions typically begin at 11:00 local time, and evening sessions around 20:00.

Last edited by Silver on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 12:55 am; edited 19 times in total

Silver

Back to top Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 13 Empty Re: Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by Guest Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

In reflection bans prolly got the fairest point here, the conditions played a big part i think, I can't imagine Murrays and Ferrers actual tennis being that low again for a while, (there guts need no more introduction).

Really a court like that has NO business being in a place like Miami, there is a place for slow courts like that, they make a special sort of match, akin to sub continental conditions in test cricket, but not in a baking oven like Florida, that's outright dangerous. More zip really needs to be added, if anything for players health

Back to top Go down

Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!) - Page 13 Empty Re: Miami Match Thread (Murray wins!)

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:12 pm

banbrotam wrote:
The Special Juan wrote: The main negative is the bad case of Double Faultitis he's had this week and, generally, very poor serving. Maybe it was the conditions, I don't know, but I certainly want to see an improvement come a few weeks time

I'm unconcerned, simply because the rest of his game has on admittedly rare occasions looked electric and he is still a bit rusty

Del Potro, Gasquet, Ferrer and even the 'new' Cilic are not players you can rock up and beat if you're a little undercooked - but he did so

The gamble has paid off - I maintain that we won't see him at his very best until probably Madrid

Those are fair points. I don't think it's anything more serious than rustiness as he normally plays worse than this at this time of year so for him to come away with a title playing not quite at this best is very good. He needs a break and I can't wait to see Murray v 2.0 play well on clay.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:13 pm

Yep, one of the biggest winners today is probably the basketball. Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

Murray also not that far from Djokovic in the ATP race, if he looks towards his next aim of No. 1. Be interesting to see Novak back on the clay, it was overall a rather underwhelming month for him.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

LuvSports! wrote:golden era my left buttock!

Usual, thread hijacking on all the matchday threads. Let the record show who starts the era discussions on this site. And then the same people will criticize others for era discussions and goat conversations and being boring and repetitive. I love it, they can't resist talking about it and can't resist whinning about it after you destroy their arguments with facts and logic.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

Gerry SA wrote:I don't see what the fuss about World Number 2 is.

Murray could easily be in the same half as Nadal and Federer on the European a Clay season.

Yes, he could end up in the same half as Nadal and Federer. But that isn't the point. He could also have ended up in the same half as Nadal and Federer as world number 3.

The point is that it is now possible he could be drawn in the opposite half to the rest of the big 4, which was impossible while he was world number 3.

Could turn out to be a huge deal if he gets some good draws. Could turn out to be same as usual. But the opportunity is there.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:37 pm

[quote="banbrotam"]
bogbrush wrote:
prostaff85 wrote:Pity about attacking, risk taking tennis though

For that watch the Murray v Gasquet match. After his usual dopey start Murray produced 30-odd winners in the next two and half sets against a good player on form

Or did you miss it? Rolling Eyes

I ask, because we will have the usual suspects droning on about how poor the rallies were, where have all the attackers gone, why do they allow such slow conditions, when will we have an economy growing at faster than 2% blah blah blah picard

Yep we have seen it all before, every time you have a match with long rallies with two great returners that has a lot of errors and breaks the moaning and tennis is dying crowd takes over. On more than one occassion the fans jumped up for standing ovations. If you slag today's game you aren't being annoying and repetive. Everyone in the world talked up how great the murray v. Djoko semi in 2011 was, but if you came onto 606v2 you would think that it was funeral.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the rallies and the up and down tension in the match, sure a lot of breaks and errors. What is funny that in two sets the Fed v. Djoko final of 2013 in WTF was filled with breaks, everyone including the fed fans thought it was a great match and nobody, nobody talked about WTA tennis and the death of tennis. It all comes down to glorifying federer and the double standards are paltable, boring, and repetitive.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:45 pm

[quote="socal1976"]
banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

For that watch the Murray v Gasquet match. After his usual dopey start Murray produced 30-odd winners in the next two and half sets against a good player on form

I ask, because we will have the usual suspects droning on about how poor the rallies were, where have all the attackers gone, why do they allow such slow conditions, when will we have an economy growing at faster than 2% blah blah blah picard

Yep we have seen it all before, every time you have a match with long rallies with two great returners that has a lot of errors and breaks the moaning and tennis is dying crowd takes over. On more than one occassion the fans jumped up for standing ovations. If you slag today's game you aren't being annoying and repetive. Everyone in the world talked up how great the murray v. Djoko semi in 2011 was, but if you came onto 606v2 you would think that it was funeral.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the rallies and the up and down tension in the match, sure a lot of breaks and errors. What is funny that in two sets the Fed v. Djoko final of 2013 in WTF was filled with breaks, everyone including the fed fans thought it was a great match and nobody, nobody talked about WTA tennis and the death of tennis. It all comes down to glorifying federer and the double standards are paltable, boring, and repetitive.

Well said socal. clap

Murray fans aren't on here saying it was a classic by any means but it was gripping. It lacked a host of outright winners but lets not disregard the great quality returning. It also had some absorbing rallies that brought fans to their feet. It made for very frustrating viewing if you were a Murray fan but it had its moments so it was certainly not an awful match and certainly beats a drab straights sets win in a score like 6-0 6-2 for example.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

socal1976 wrote:Yep we have seen it all before, every time you have a match with long rallies with two great returners that has a lot of errors and breaks the moaning and tennis is dying crowd takes over.

In what way do they 'take over'?

socal1976 wrote:On more than one occassion the fans jumped up for standing ovations.
Did that ever happen in 2000-2005. Never, I bet!

socal1976 wrote:If you slag today's game you aren't being annoying and repetive.
Oops, watch out Craig and Falzy.

socal1976 wrote:Everyone in the world talked up how great the murray v. Djoko semi in 2011 was, but if you came onto 606v2 you would think that it was funeral.

Everyone in the world?

socal1976 wrote:I actually enjoyed a lot of the rallies and the up and down tension in the match, sure a lot of breaks and errors. What is funny that in two sets the Fed v. Djoko final of 2013 in WTF was filled with breaks, everyone including the fed fans thought it was a great match and nobody, nobody talked about WTA tennis and the death of tennis. It all comes down to glorifying federer and the double standards are paltable, boring, and repetitive.

It wasn't the best quality match, but obviously to say that means I'm somehow glorifying Federer. If only you also recognised paltable, boring, and repetitive posts in those who seek to denigrate, not just glorify.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:53 pm

Anyways back to the tennis guys.......
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

That ninth Masters title for Andy Murray takes him above the likes of Thomas Muster, Stefan Edberg and Matts Wilander on the list of Masters winners. He is now just two behind Pete Sampras and four behind Djokovic.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:56 pm

Robmond serving for the 2nd set after losing the first....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Oh yeah... there's still tennis happening. Wink

Laura and Lisa got hammered in the opening set of the doubles final, 6-1.

But they've just broken to lead the second 6-5. Serving for the set.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 8:59 pm

[quote="CaledonianCraig"]
socal1976 wrote:
banbrotam wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Well said socal. clap

Murray fans aren't on here saying it was a classic by any means but it was gripping. It lacked a host of outright winners but lets not disregard the great quality returning. It also had some absorbing rallies that brought fans to their feet. It made for very frustrating viewing if you were a Murray fan but it had its moments so it was certainly not an awful match and certainly beats a drab straights sets win in a score like 6-0 6-2 for example.

Yes craig not a classic but a very tight and emotional match, I think nerves of both players had a role to play, the midday heat and humidity, and of course both players are great at returning and defending. I liked it, and the fans in the stands were enthralled at various points as well giving standing Os they were entertained. I like a bit of a gladitorial feel in the match and tension.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Ah. 2nd set tiebreak.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:04 pm

Just finished watching it on sky+

Goodness me what drama. Not the highest quality of tennis from either player, Murray's serve was all over the place. The first set might be as bad as I've seen him play in the last year. Ferrer choked big time whenever it looked like victory might be in sight.

But wow what determination from both men. How tough must the conditions be to have 2 of the fittest guys in the sport almost unable to stand at the end? Also, from Murray's perspective, he still found a way to win.

The top guys have had some up and down performances in the last month, and not always managed to win. Murray found a way. He deserves huge credit for that.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:06 pm

Tie break slipping away from them... aaaand they've lost.

Oh well, still a healthy sum of money for reaching the final. That'll help cover the costs of her team and making her life on a tour a bit more comfortable, I guess? I imagine money must really weigh on a lot of players' minds until they really break through and start earning the big bucks.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:07 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Just finished watching it on sky+

Goodness me what drama. Not the highest quality of tennis from either player, Murray's serve was all over the place. The first set might be as bad as I've seen him play in the last year. Ferrer choked big time whenever it looked like victory might be in sight.

But wow what determination from both men. How tough must the conditions be to have 2 of the fittest guys in the sport almost unable to stand at the end? Also, from Murray's perspective, he still found a way to win.

The top guys have had some up and down performances in the last month, and not always managed to win. Murray found a way. He deserves huge credit for that.

Pretty much spot on summary Danny. The bottom line is he won playing way below his best and that is the mark of a champion.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The bottom line is he won playing way below his best and that is the mark of a champion.

You know what else is the mark of a champion? ... Holding a big shiny trophy above your head when the other guy isn't! thumbsup

Last edited by Cogen on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:10 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Yep we have seen it all before, every time you have a match with long rallies with two great returners that has a lot of errors and breaks the moaning and tennis is dying crowd takes over.

In what way do they 'take over'?

socal1976 wrote:On more than one occassion the fans jumped up for standing ovations.

socal1976 wrote:If you slag today's game you aren't being annoying and repetive.
Oops, watch out Craig and Falzy.

socal1976 wrote:Everyone in the world talked up how great the murray v. Djoko semi in 2011 was, but if you came onto 606v2 you would think that it was funeral.

Everyone in the world?

socal1976 wrote:I actually enjoyed a lot of the rallies and the up and down tension in the match, sure a lot of breaks and errors. What is funny that in two sets the Fed v. Djoko final of 2013 in WTF was filled with breaks, everyone including the fed fans thought it was a great match and nobody, nobody talked about WTA tennis and the death of tennis. It all comes down to glorifying federer and the double standards are paltable, boring, and repetitive.

It wasn't the best quality match, but obviously to say that means I'm somehow glorifying Federer. If only you also recognised paltable, boring, and repetitive posts in those who seek to denigrate, not just glorify.

Lets not say everyone that might be an overgeneralization; but virtually every tennis journalists, the players involved, and the fans in the stands loved the murray v. Djoko semi. If you came on here it was seen as a violation of tennis and the death of tennis etc. Everyone sees how the weak era threads start, look at the threads after djoko lost to Haas, there wasn't one wind up weak era thread but two, then some of the same people whine about repetition and boredom. I am bored by calls for faster conditions, banning technology, slagging of today's game and style of play. But I stand up for the right of the people who believe those things to say it on a tennis talk website. However very few of those people like it when fed's early contemporaries are crticized and when the play in the late 90s and early 2000s is criticized, and if what you say is true complain about it and try to censor the posters on this site by complaining to the management. I mean you are the one who told me that people are turned off and complain about era comparisons and goat debates in not so many words. So are they turned off by the repetition or by people actually having a different view of the game and doing a better job of using objective facts to prove their points?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:16 pm

The funny thing is that I'm not overly happy Murray won. Don't get me wrong, it's what I wanted, but I seem to be genuinely upset Daveed lost, especially when he said "one more point" and apologised to the crowd.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:23 pm

Yeah I felt for Daveeed too Juan. Such honest endeavour.

What he lacks in power and finesse he makes up for with consistency and work ethic. Funny how he is always able to get closer to Murray than the other top guys. Although still usually loses (clay being the exception of course).

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:25 pm

I really felt for David having that match point and losing it on a poor challenge. I would have been happier I think if he won today as well although I am a neutral and would have to wade through numerous posts about how old David ferrer beats the socalled golden youngsters. But none the less I would have been happier for ferrer on this occassion.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Yeah I felt for Daveeed too Juan. Such honest endeavour.

What he lacks in power and finesse he makes up for with consistency and work ethic. Funny how he is always able to get closer to Murray than the other top guys. Although still usually loses (clay being the exception of course).

I put that all down to how they match up against each other. It is the same with all match ups. Federer has had problems beating Tsongs which Murray doesn't but Federer is peerless against Ferrer. It is the same with other match ups.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

Michigan are headed to the Final Four by the way in March Madness.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

I agree Craig. But seeing as Novak is able to dismiss Ferrer so easily it is strange Murray has to fight so much. Maybe it's because Ferrer rarely uses slice or a mix of pace that Novak swots him away so easily.

Maybe also because Ferrer deals with slice so well because he gets down to it better than most, negating one of Murray's strengths.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

Dave. wrote:Michigan are headed to the Final Four by the way in March Madness.

Is that good? Was it worth it?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

The Special Juan wrote:

I dunno. Those naughty boys at CBS cut away from the match tiebreak to show the start. Considering the game finished 3 minutes later I can't get why they couldn't just show the winning point, then splash and dash and start the other one. #cbsfail

Well done Murray, but poor Daveed.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

Dave. wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:

I dunno. Those naughty boys at CBS cut away from the match tiebreak to show the start. Considering the game finished 3 minutes later I can't get why they couldn't just show the winning point, then splash and dash and start the other one. #cbsfail

Ouch. I hope the basketball was worth it then. Those Americans sure have their priorities right.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:48 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
Dave. wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:

Ouch. I hope the basketball was worth it then. Those Americans sure have their priorities right.

In fairness, March Madness is a big deal. It's massive over there. But dumping the tennis in the middle of a deciding tiebreak, nah, silly.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 31 Mar 2013, 9:54 pm

socal1976 wrote:

Usual, thread hijacking on all the matchday threads. Let the record show who starts the era discussions on this site. And then the same people will criticize others for era discussions and goat conversations and being boring and repetitive. I love it, they can't resist talking about it and can't resist whinning about it after you destroy their arguments with facts and logic.

I can never understand why you get so worked up about light hearted, take it with a pinch of salt comments socal.
I never really get into the era stuff or criticise others for their stances, I just privately hold my own views.
Remember when you went on your "i hate all fed fans" rampage and grouped all of us together because of the actions of a few? Same thing applies here.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Ouch. I hope the basketball was worth it then. Those Americans sure have their priorities right.
I do not know how visible the relative popularity of sports in the US is from your end, but the final month of college basketball is orders of magnitude bigger than Miami tennis. In fact saying "orders of magnitude bigger" almost does not do it justice. College basketball is one of the most talked about sporting events in March, while vast majority of people - even people who in general follow sports quite keenly - have no idea that tennis was being played in Miami.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:09 pm

summerblues wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Ouch. I hope the basketball was worth it then. Those Americans sure have their priorities right.
I do not know how visible the relative popularity of sports in the US is from your end, but the final month of college basketball is orders of magnitude bigger than Miami tennis. In fact saying "orders of magnitude bigger" almost does not do it justice. College basketball is one of the most talked about sporting events in March, while vast majority of people - even people who in general follow sports quite keenly - have no idea that tennis was being played in Miami.

I would agree. In America March Madness is up there with the Super Bowl and the like. But I don't get dumping a game to cable in the middle of a match tiebreak. If they'd delayed the BB game by 5 mins all would have been fine.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:10 pm

And Ferrer goes back to number 4. What is the chance of him staying there come RG?

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:20 pm

He needs to have quite an apocalyptic clay court season to fall lower than 4th now I believe. Something I mentioned in the Points Spy thread is that I believe Ferrer might be leading the post-Shanghai Points race.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:24 pm

ryan86 wrote:He needs to have quite an apocalyptic clay court season to fall lower than 4th now I believe. Something I mentioned in the Points Spy thread is that I believe Ferrer might be leading the post-Shanghai Points race.

Aye, just seen that. Nice thread by Cogen!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

Cogen wrote:Tie break slipping away from them... aaaand they've lost.

Oh well, still a healthy sum of money for reaching the final. That'll help cover the costs of her team and making her life on a tour a bit more comfortable, I guess? I imagine money must really weigh on a lot of players' minds until they really break through and start earning the big bucks.

Laura's very heavily sponsored, the last thing she needs to worry about is money.

She's an attractive, well spoken (and English speaking) teenager. We're talking seven figure deals based on potential alone.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm

Now that we finally have a "pre-clay figure" set in stone for Ferrer, lets take a look at the #4 spot heading into the French Open.

If Nadal has a faultless road to Roland Garros (a distinct possibility looking at how well his comeback has gone) then he can pick up 910 points. All of those are from Madrid where he lost in R16 and only earned 90 points last year. Everything else is a title which he must defend.

Lets assume Nadal pulls it off and picks up those 910 points. He is currently 665pts behind Ferrer, so that would swing to Nadal being 245 ahead, if Ferrer mirrored his last clay court season.

In other words, if Ferrer improves by more than 245 points then Nadal cannot go into RG as #4.

So what are the chances of Ferrer gaining those points? Here's his current breakdown:
Monte Carlo - Did not play. Does anyone know if he's scheduled to play this year?
Barcelona - Final (300 pts)
Madrid - QF (180 pts)
Rome - SF (360 pts)

You know what? It could actually be quite close. If Ferrer plays Monte Carlo he could make some gains there, but he will have to sacrifice his lowest countable, which is a 250 win. So he'd have to reach the semi-finals at least or he'd actually lose points.

Can't gain any points in Barcelona, if we're assuming Nadal takes the title... Madrid would probably be his main opportunity to gain some points.

So basically if Nadal has an impeccable run, Ferrer needs something like this:
Monte Carlo - SF, Barcelona - F, Madrid - SF, Rome - SF.

If Nadal drops a single one of his titles, even just down to a final, that suddenly gives Ferrer a lot more breathing room, and he can just maintain his results.

Last edited by Cogen on Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

djlovesyou wrote:Laura's very heavily sponsored, the last thing she needs to worry about is money.

She's an attractive, well spoken (and English speaking) teenager. We're talking seven figure deals based on potential alone.

Aye, you're probably right, dj. I hadn't thought about all the sponsorship she's getting. That probably increased a lot when her profile shot up at the US Open. Would be interesting to see how much more she's being sponsored than Heather right now, who isn't as attractive and hasn't had a big break-through at slam level yet. Unfortunately we'll never know.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:28 pm

Ferrer did play MC last year - he lost first match to Bellucci. He will play this year as well, if fit.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

Cogen wrote:

Aye, you're probably right, dj. I hadn't thought about all the sponsorship she's getting. That probably increased a lot when her profile shot up at the US Open. Would be interesting to see how much more she's being sponsored than Heather right now, who isn't as attractive and hasn't had a big break-through at slam level yet. Unfortunately we'll never know.

It'll be a lot more. But saying that, Heather is still attractive to sponsors. I can't imagine she'll be doing too badly compared to a lot.

Laura was essentially set for life when she won her Wimbledon juniors. They were already talking about Sharapova type deals even back then. Completely down to potential, both with her tennis but probably more to do with how she looks and acts.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Ferrer did play MC last year - he lost first match to Bellucci. He will play this year as well, if fit.

Oh yeah, my bad. Didn't spot it down there in the non-countables. OK

Ok, so they don't force Monte Carlo on your record if you play it either, as it is not a "mandatory" like the others. Stupid Monte Carlo with its own rules. Should be uniform across all of the Masters.

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm

Plus she has that Olympic medal which she could flog if things ever get a bit tight.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Cogen Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:36 pm

ryan86 wrote:Plus she has that Olympic medal which she could flog if things ever get a bit tight.

Laugh

I wonder how long people would keep sponsoring her if she became a complete flop, or got injured, and dropped out of the top 200 and never managed to work her way back up.

Sorry, pointless discussion. Never going to happen. heart Wink

Cogen

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun 31 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

Womens tennis has been full of young girls who have looked like they were going to be stars and for whatever reason, one thing lead to another, their careers fizzled out and they were never heard from again.

I remember when I was a young lad, Jelena Dokic was the next big thing (and the lads were talking about her at school I remember). Now Jelena did achieve a fair bit, but a nutjob father and she's never achieved anything like she did when she was 18. Karolina Sprem (though because we were schoolkids it might be because her name looked like sperm) was another one, though I see she's become Mrs Marcos Baghdatis.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:00 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Point is Julius, that no-one would even suggest such a thing - we already know that there was some great Tennis during this time

However, if you notice there has been a couple on these boards who straight away moaned about the lack of winners - but strangely were very mute during the excellent Murray v Gasquet match

That's why it has to be pointed out, that actually most fans still love the Tennis of 2013 - i.e. there is life after Federer just like there as after Connors, McEnroe and Agassi (there four of my favourite five mentioned!!)

Socal, may labour a point and be a bit too passionate in his defence of all things modern. But you need to understand that the self fulfiling carping about today's game, now that Lord Roger isn't quite as good as he used to be (who could be like the 2005 version!!) looks far more pathetic than most of what Socal states

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:25 am

LuvSports! wrote:
socal1976 wrote:

I can never understand why you get so worked up about light hearted, take it with a pinch of salt comments socal.
I never really get into the era stuff or criticise others for their stances, I just privately hold my own views.
Remember when you went on your "i hate all fed fans" rampage and grouped all of us together because of the actions of a few? Same thing applies here.

I never, ever stated I hate all fed fans, in fact I made a point everytime I criticized fed fans to state that I was talking specifically about a bizarre form of fed worshipper that loathed everything about tennis today except roger and made it a point to rain on the parade while simultaneously praising roger without any crticial view. If you can find anywhere I claimed all fed fans are evil or bad or that I hate them I would be happy to see it. But there is a certain kind of fed fan/ moaner that we have all grown accustomed to and tired of at the same time. To them Roger's flatulence smells like free ambrosia of the gods and nothing anyone can do will ever match it and tennis is dying because Roger is ageing. Frankly they are Roger fans and not tennis fans and I can't wait till they just leave the scene, if that makes me a jerk and ahole so be it. I liked tennis before Roger and I will love it after he leaves, so make up your mind if your are a Roger fanboy or a tennis fan. I know which category I fall into some others I can't be so sure.

As I said luvsports I have nothing against you but with comments like your own you open the door to era conversations. Something that we are led to believe is an abomination against god and nature slightly less egregious to pedophiliac priests. I stand up for your right to salute your ass, seeing that it seems to be the most cogent part of your anatomy, but others don't want to stand up for the rights of others to voice their opinion about the playboys and fatboys Roger rolled up in the early 2000s.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:29 pm

summerblues wrote:

What Dave said. I'm not bothered by the interruption to go to the basketball as it's probably the equivalent of interrupting snooker for football in this country but the timing of it was rather poor. I hope for the people who were watching it's sake that it was on another channel.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13