The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rumour mill

+55
Student-A1
Coleman
dragon999
tigerleghorn
Moorsman
DrTreasure
HammerofThunor
aitchw
geoff998rugby
Manu's Boxing Coach
reallybored
killer938
Dubbelyew L Overate
Fluxy
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
Heaf
thebluesmancometh
rodders
LeinsterFan4life
whocares
clivemcl
bluestonevedder
Artful_Dodger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Bathite
Driver
HongKongCherry
stnick88
SirBurger
Sgt_Pooly
Bathman_in_London
Jenifer McLadyboy
pioden gorllewin
Mickado
Cumbrian
red_stag
B91212
sirtidychris
welshboii15
propdavid_london
beshocked
yappysnap
maverickmak
Geordie
Hood83
DaveM
formerly known as Sam
Morgannwg
Ozzy3213
LondonTiger
jeffwinger
wales606
ScarletSpiderman
nathan
59 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

The rumour mill - Page 9 Empty The rumour mill

Post by nathan Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
pioden gorllewin wrote:Leicester Mercury reporter Martin Crowson stating in todays paper that Tigers are after Owen Williams as stand off for next season. Gutted if true, thought he'd push priestland for the starting spot for next season.

The Scarlets are going to have to pull out of the LV= Cup from now on as it is getting to be a bit of a joke now, we have a kid play well for us in it, and then before the season even finishes they get poached by the Jeff side that they helped beat.

That said I wonder how much game time Owen would have got at PYS next season, as we have Priestland as exepected first choice, and then Jordan Williams, Gareth Owen and now Steve Shingler to cover (plus Aled Thomas, if he stays, and Dan Newton too).

How many times has it happened now?

nathan

Back to top Go down

The rumour mill - Page 9 Empty Re: The rumour mill

Post by Geordie Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 pm

I hear he's a big fan of idiotic football hooligans too so just maybe
Sadly that was a minority...most hadnt even been at the match - the pubs were open from half 9 and they were just coming out the pubs looking for trouble. It was disgraceful.

Anyway...ive been speaking about clegg on the falcons thread. Not overly excited to be honest. Hope he doesnt take up Hodgson gametime. But we'll see.

Thats Brookes and Clegg back...all those quick to jump ship returning...not sure im impressed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:13 am

I wonder why there has been no official announcement about George Ford?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:58 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
I hear he's a big fan of idiotic football hooligans too so just maybe
Sadly that was a minority...most hadnt even been at the match - the pubs were open from half 9 and they were just coming out the pubs looking for trouble. It was disgraceful.

Anyway...ive been speaking about clegg on the falcons thread. Not overly excited to be honest. Hope he doesnt take up Hodgson gametime. But we'll see.

Thats Brookes and Clegg back...all those quick to jump ship returning...not sure im impressed.

As a man who lived in Newcastle for 7 years and loves the place I know it was a horrible minority. To be honest it was meant more of a reflection on the Italians! I really hope they do sign Barclay if he doesn't stay at the Warriors, would be an excellent signing for whoever gets him, very intelligent player in great form.

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:49 am

I wonder why there has been no official announcement about George Ford?

Well LT it could be cause Daddies promises aren't all they've cracked up to be...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:50 pm

In tomorrow's Mercury - the Leicester Tigers have agreed terms with Argentine international winger, Gonzalo Camacho from Exeter Chiefs.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:52 pm

We have signed Saul from sarries

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Max Lahiff to Melbourne Rebels now confirmed:

http://london-irish.com/news/Irish90940.ink?newstype=N

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm

nathan wrote:
In tomorrow's Mercury - the Leicester Tigers have agreed terms with Argentine international winger, Gonzalo Camacho from Exeter Chiefs.

Not sure about that at all.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Camacho must be cheap, we ditched Agulla because he was going to be away so long and have now signed another winger in the same boat. Can only think he must be cheap.

Lahiff is a further blow to LI, what is their squad going to look like next season?

Saull will be good competition for Falcons. Bit surprised he couldn't find himself a starting berth elsewhere in the AP. Saints could do with him more than Falcons.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 pm

I guess Camacho could not get a deal in France. Just do not like recruiting yet another ok overseas player - especially one who will miss the first couple of months.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Camacho is a bizarre selection. He's an average prem player who did have some storming games for Quins but still I wouldn't take him ahead of any of our current players. I can't believe Tigers don't have an academy lad that could take his place and save them money.

And even if you don't you still have Thompstone, Benjamin, the irish guy, the kiwi guy, Tait at a push, Lewington who Sam goes on about, Tuilagi at a push.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

Lewington has signed for LI, but I agree with you, not a prospective signing I am at all keen on.

Hamilton (the kiwi guy) may be off at the end of this season.
Benjamin - well we do not know if he will actually play I guess.

However I do wish we would at least think of using academy lads ahead of "journeymen" in the backs. The likes of el Mahdi and williams (welsh admittedly) have real pace and score tries for fun at junior levels.

Oh and 16 year old Brian tuilagi has made some bench appearances for Academy during school holidays.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Brian Tuilagi? Is he one of Henry(?)'s kids? I knew one of them had kids there. Next generation on the way?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Brian Tuilagi? Is he one of Henry(?)'s kids? I knew one of them had kids there. Next generation on the way?

Brian (16) is Freddie's eldest son, a centre/winger like his dad. (Though he tends to play 10/12 at school for now.)
Younger brother Freddie Jr (14) is currently a prop and by all accounts very destructive.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:Brian Tuilagi? Is he one of Henry(?)'s kids? I knew one of them had kids there. Next generation on the way?

Brian (16) is Freddie's eldest son, a centre/winger like his dad. (Though he tends to play 10/12 at school for now.)
Younger brother Freddie Jr (14) is currently a prop and by all accounts very destructive.

A Tuilagi being destructive......now there's a surprise!!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I wonder, if they progress that far, what country they will choose to play for?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 pm

lostinwales wrote:I wonder, if they progress that far, what country they will choose to play for?

Well I suspect that these two will probably elect for England - if they progress that far - and Henry jr (12 and playing for Perpignan minis) for France. This will be in part due to finances and part due to where they have been brought up.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:59 pm

I thought Freddie Jnr was a hooker and playing under 16s for Hinckley? I may be misinformed as I've no connection to Hinckley I was told this.

Tahir El Mahdi I'd love to see given a go, when he played for our youthful 7s side he looked Varndell style fast but with a step. Not seen the young Welsh lad but I hear he's got amazing feet and skills. Surely they could be used instead. Camacho is an out and out winger if anything we need another fb. An odd signing.

Notts have announced they are losing Parr and Rous to LI, Streather to Sarries and Duffey back to NZ. Combine that with the 10s retirement and Lewington and Harris not being available through DOR they are losing a good chunk of their match day 23.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I thought Freddie Jnr was a hooker and playing under 16s for Hinckley? I may be misinformed as I've no connection to Hinckley I was told this.
Maybe Sam, perhaps both as after all at that age position is fluid. I did hear that he has been playing 2 and 3 years above his age for others protection. At 14 he is already over 6ft tall and 100kg.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:14 am

mawhis wrote:Max Lahiff to Melbourne Rebels now confirmed:

That's a huge loss to English rugby. Guessing he'll now represent Australia too.

I rate him seriously highly. Excellent around the park, in the scrum, and young too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:49 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Notts have announced they are losing Parr and Rous to LI, Streather to Sarries and Duffey back to NZ. Combine that with the 10s retirement and Lewington and Harris not being available through DOR they are losing a good chunk of their match day 23.
According to the beeb they are financially well and truly in the poop and may not even make the end of the season before being wound up so it's no surprise that the squad is being broken up. It's a shame, although I was never their biggest fan they were a localish club to where I was born and always hoped that they would one day make it into the prem.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:01 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Saints could do with him more than Falcons.
We have Nutley and Harrison if DW & JM ever decide to play with an out and out 7 (seems unlikely based on previous seasons) so I doubt Saull was considered. According to something I read on an unofficial Saints forum Nutley has been told to expect more game time next year as Wood concentrates more on 6 in the Prem, although with Dowson and Clark around I'm not sure how many games he will actually start.

Nutley is supposed to be held in high regard by JM and has been captaining the A team recently although I have no idea what his contract status is and could understand it if he had looked elsewhere due to lack of opportunities, even though he has only just turned 21.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 am

That sounds farcical. Were they taking some huge gamble on stretching themselves to the limit hoping against hope promotion would save them financially? It would be a travesty if they if they came up trumps gainst Falcons and then imploded.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 am

Is it fair to say London Irish are looking at quantity over quality.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:19 am

yappysnap wrote:Been really impressed with Saints youngsters Mercey and Waller, this second half of the season they've looked more reliable then the two old hands.

Where is PDJ currently? Is he out injured or on the naughty step?
Saints are totally crap about releasing injury news but I understand that he was on the naughty step and not injured, although he was back at the weekend on the bench and was on the pitch when LW pushed over for the score at end. Both Mujarti and PDV have looked pretty disinterested since before Christmas (especially PDV) and recently Mercey was first choice until missing last week. Tiny started the season slowly but improved as the season progressed, although I think his best rampaging form in the loose may be behind him now. Still a force at the set piece and a threat breaking through mauls & rucks and I hope he takes the T14 by storm.

Waller has looked okay this season in the loose but the scrum has looked generally weaker when he has come on in games. Mercey has taken his time to live up to the early potential he showed at Sarries (other than the odd cameo) but was always held in high regard by the management and hopefully he will not get an extended run in the 23.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 am

What is happening with James Craig at Saints? He seemed to be devloping into an impressive player. I know he got injured, but I haven't seen him play in about a year. Any news on his recovery time?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:06 am

Cumbrian wrote:What is happening with James Craig at Saints? He seemed to be devloping into an impressive player. I know he got injured, but I haven't seen him play in about a year. Any news on his recovery time?
Missed the majority of this season through injury and recently returned to the A team, playing at lock in the 48-20 win against Worcester on Saturday in a game that Paul Diggin also played in after a long injury lay off. Agree Craig looked impressive last year at 6 but he was only selected due to injuries and it's probably the most competitive position in the current first team squad (Wood, Clark, Dowson, Manoa & Lawes if required) so I doubt he will play for the first team this year unless there is an injury crisis or he gets called up as lock cover or something.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:23 am

That sounds farcical. Were they taking some huge gamble on stretching themselves to the limit hoping against hope promotion would save them financially?

Nah Aitchw. Notts have struggled since the onset of professionalism. They almost went under a few years back and were saved by New owners who were looking to make the club sustainable. They've come closer but clearly not fast enough. The article says all sources of revenue are growing but presumably behind targets. The squad they have his wafer thin and generally backed up by Tigers loan players in times of injury. Those loan players are academy players. There's been a lot of development off the field but It's not a money making game outside the AP and Notts generally only aim to be in the play offs, anything else is a bonus.

I hope they find another backer, they've lost a load of players but they are pretty savvy in recruitment and Haag has them playing a nice brand of rugby.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:43 am

For most it's debateable if it's money making in the Jeff.

After our disastrous experiment with Back and Key, Hetherington pulled his horns in and insisted on a sustainable programme and if takes a while to rejoin the top flight so be it. After 2 years out it's starting to show some promise, not there yet but improving. Chiefs show it can be done, hope we can follow.

Thanks for the background.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 am

Yeah it's not easy to make a good transition from Championship to AP. Falcons have been bank rolled this season and Bristol are splashing the cash ahead of next season there's no let up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 am

Sireli Naqelevuki extends his contract for Exe till 2015 - human wrecking ball Yahoo

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:25 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Sireli Naqelevuki extends his contract for Exe till 2015 - human wrecking ball Yahoo

Chief

Good news indeed. Hope he can get his naqered knees sorted for next season.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:06 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Sireli Naqelevuki extends his contract for Exe till 2015 - human wrecking ball Yahoo

Chief
great news look forward to seeing the winger/centre/one man maul fully fit next season Yahoo
Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
mawhis wrote:Max Lahiff to Melbourne Rebels now confirmed:

That's a huge loss to English rugby. Guessing he'll now represent Australia too.

I rate him seriously highly. Excellent around the park, in the scrum, and young too.

Agreed, ridiculously naturally strong guy and slowly maturing into a top loosie. Fitness looked suspect to me, but I would bet my bottom dollar he kicks on again at the Rebels. They're an average side but he won't be able to hide his fitness there. Gutted if he goes on to play for Oz, but good luck to him.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:44 am

Wish we'd bid for Lahiff
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am

I think a big loss for LI with Corbs leaving...but on an international standing would Lahiff got ahead of Marler or Vunipola or Corbisieru?

I think this highlights a problem with england at the moment..we seem to have so many "potentials" coming through with few who have moved on to the "potential realised" level.

When you look at the list of who should we take to Argentina..theres so many debates and peoples teams seem to change dailly...i know mine do.

I guess Lahiff feels he has a far better chance of making the Aussie national team...and i guess thats a reasonalbe decison as after Oz's first choice front row there doesnt seem a huge lot of competition..or am i doing them a diservice there?

So who do LI have coming in at LH and do they have more youngsters coming through?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:24 pm

They've agreed to sign Harris the 22 year old Tigers academy grad and Parr the Notts journeyman for next season so I'd guess there's no one imminent.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:38 pm

We also have Tom Smallbone in the academy who, apart from suffering with injuries, looks like a decent prospect, in the same mould as Corbs and Lahiff. Currently a little on the small side though.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm

LI and Gloucester are both apparently interested in Ryan Atkins from Warrington RL:

http://blogs.espnscrum.com/Rumour-Mill/archives/2013/04/union_clubs_targeting_leagues.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Would seem odd for Gloucester to be after him, they aren't exactly short of outside backs. Henry Trinder, Jonny May, Shane Monahan, Charlie Sharples, James Simpson- Daniel, Rob Cook, Olly Morgan and Martyn Thomas. Not to mention academy players like Ian Clark. Perhaps they want him as a long term replacement for Mike Tindall?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Would seem odd for Gloucester to be after him, they aren't exactly short of outside backs. Henry Trinder, Jonny May, Shane Monahan, Charlie Sharples, James Simpson- Daniel, Rob Cook, Olly Morgan and Martyn Thomas. Not to mention academy players like Ian Clark. Perhaps they want him as a long term replacement for Mike Tindall?

How is Martyn Thomas doing at Gloucester?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 pm

But Cook is pants, Tindall ancient, Morgan always injured

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:55 pm

Bathite wrote:But Cook has little boy pants, Tindall ancient, Morgan always injured

Is that what you meant?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 pm

haha! fair

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm

LI sign 3 from Tigers:

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/24200.php

Harris and Lewington were known about, Jimmy Stevens come out of the blue.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 pm

LondonTiger wrote:LI sign 3 from Tigers:

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/24200.php

Harris and Lewington were known about, Jimmy Stevens come out of the blue.

Stevens move has been rumoured for a couple of days

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:03 am

He's joking. Harris and Lewington was unofficially confirmed a month ago.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:44 am

Jamie Gibson now confirmed as leaving LI - presumably to Leicester

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:30 am

With the amount of upheaval at Irish I can see them going one of two ways next season. They'll either gel and surprise everyone by getting into the top 6, or they will just not have enough quality and be bottom of the pile. I did say in a London Welsh thread that however stayed up out of them and Irish would go down next season and I am sticking to that; I think it could be a long hard year for them, but as it is one of my regular away games I'd far rather they stay up OK
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:52 am

Full list of those leaving London Irish is as follows....

Scott Lawson, Max Lahiff, Jonathan Joseph, Jamie Gibson, Anthony Watson, Steve Shingler, Dave Sisi, Conor Gaston, Jack Moates, Alex Gray, Alex Corbisero, Matt Garvey, Jerry Yanuyanutawa

Although it looks a long list, the reality is that only Garvey and Lahiff were first choice players this season (notwithstanding that Corbs would have been had he been fit). Those three are the only ones I am genuinely concerned about losing. Lawson is not a great player, JJ's heart hasn't looked in it for a while, Gibson has failed to kick on, Yanuyanutawa is not really good enough in the set piece at AP level and the others are kids with potential but nothing more.

I genuinely think we will be a better side next year. We've picked up a few Championship lads, but I have no problem with that, as they will come with a point to prove. Hopefully they can become a tight knit unit rather than a just collection of decent players, something that has served Exeter Chiefs well. I don't expect us to trouble the top 6 next season, but I don't think we'll be in the relegation scrap. I can see us finishing somewhere between 6th and 10th.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next