The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday!

+3
erictheblueuk
lags72
Positively 4th Street
7 posters

Go down

US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday! Empty US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday!

Post by Positively 4th Street Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:26 pm

Apologies if this has already been discussed, I had to take a hiatus from the site due to work reasons. Had a quick look at topics and couldn't see it anywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21869294

Good news as far as I am concerned, although we have to wait until 2015. Finally, 'Super' Saturday bites the dust.

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday! Empty Re: US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday!

Post by lags72 Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:46 pm

Good news indeed, and a victory for common sense.

"Super Saturday" : a truly ill-conceived misnomer, if ever there was one, for any single day in the tennis calendar Rolling Eyes

Welcome back, btw !

lags72

Back to top Go down

US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday! Empty Re: US Open schedule - No more 'Super' Saturday!

Post by erictheblueuk Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:19 pm

I can't belive the ATP let them take so long to change it, I remember complaints aboout the scheduling back in the 80s.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

Yep, its cost a few players slams down the road I've no doubt of that.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:36 pm

Thanks lags.

It has taken a ridiculous amount of time to change, especially since there was pretty much unanimous agreement that it was a flawed concept. I wonder if the increasingly gruelling matches played a part, or the bad weather in recent years, a new-found ATP backbone or just a slow dawning of common sense?

Any players/slams that stick out lydian?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 21 Mar 2013, 6:55 pm

1995 = Agassi, late finish on Saturday left him spent vs Sampras
2001 = Sampras, previous late nighter cost him dear, fell tamely to Hewitt -- won just 8 games. Probably hurt Sampras in 2000 too.
2002 = Agassi, Sampras was up 1st SF against non top-10 player; Agassi was 2nd and had to grind to beat defending champ Hewitt
2003 = Ferrero, had to play 4 days on the run directly before final
2005 = Agassi, he pushed Federer really close...but was tired at 35yo having played long 5 setter vs Ginepri the night before
2008 = Murray, crazily played a delayed second SF - he was spent vs. Federer.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:28 pm

So mainly Agassi. I remember 2002 and 2005 pretty well. Andre didn't seem to get going for two sets in 2002, then got a foothold and looked like he might pull it off. Sampras broke him in the fourth set though and it was over ten minutes later.

For Murray in 2008 it was particularly rough as it was his first final and the drawn-out nature of the SF took its toll physically and mentally.

Funnily enough, I've always viewed both Agassi and Murray as emotional players on-court and that's the sort of player to feel the effects more perhaps. Agassi's meltdown at the FO when Clinton turned up was incredible!

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 21 Mar 2013, 9:49 pm

The USTA also confirmed that, from 2015, the first round of the men's singles will be played over two days rather than three, as is currently the case.

This is good too.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm

Even though it was great TV (when the rain didn't intervene) it was always a ridiculous situation as it favoured the player who played first, far too much

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm

Think Agassi played 1st semi in 2005? I think you can only really complain when you played 2nd semi?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:22 pm

Here is an article I did on this topic, which I will drag out one last time.
http://myhomelounge.com/mtl/article/index/2714

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Oh, I forgot not supposed to share links. Well it is funny and relevant...

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down