The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Combinations

+7
Looseheaded
sickofwendy
bedfordwelsh
theslosty
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
maestegmafia
RubyGuby
11 posters

Go down

Lions Combinations Empty Lions Combinations

Post by RubyGuby Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:05 pm

I actually think that the opposite is true about combinations for the Lions. What I mean by that is that IMO having 2 players alongside each other from different nations actually stretches the performance of these players just that much further. For example, for me Hines and Evans would be a brutal 2nd row pairing. Healey and Hibbard the same. Youngs and Sexton and Mannu and BOD would all for me bring more out of the other than if they were playing alongside their fellow countrymen. It's probably the equivelant of rugby's "Hawthorne" effect thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Lions Combinations Empty Re: Lions Combinations

Post by maestegmafia Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

Considering that no Home Nation has beaten Australia in consecutive tests over there for a very long time, the Lions will have to be a great deal better than any of the individual Home Nations teams.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Considering that no Home Nation has beaten Australia in consecutive tests over there for a very long time, the Lions will have to be a great deal better than any of the individual Home Nations teams.

Scotland have beaten Aus in consecutive tests in the last 3 years (one at home and one away) OK

Altho I'm pretty certain Gatland will not be counting that in the slightest

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

POC/AWJ
Phillips/Farrell

I think a Youngs-Sexton-Davies-BOD 9-13 would be an excellent multi-combo.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

Like the sound of Hines and Evans and have always said that I hope JD and Tuilagi get a bit of game time together.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Fri 22 Mar 2013, 11:26 pm

Although I think both jd and tuilagi are fine players,would they work together?
Apparently jd can't pass and tuilagi simply won't. Smile

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:18 am

I do prefer established combinations, though currently none of them are functioning properly. This is why a BOD/Roberts combination should at least be tried on tour in the warm up matches. One of the few known functioning partnerships.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:53 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Like the sound of Hines and Evans and have always said that I hope JD and Tuilagi get a bit of game time together.

Tuilagi on the wing maybe...

He is not a centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:11 am

Broberts
Hanklin
Pharrel

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:26 am

who do you guys think is the best playmakers at 10 and 12 for the Lions?

What I mean by that is the best options for making the right decisions at the right times.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:28 am

The units in which we have to find combinations are:

1. Front row - always helps when packing down to have two thirds of any already established front row. For example, I would be happy with Healy, Best and Jones because frequently it's the loosehead who needs more support from his hooker.

2. Locks - I like an enforcer and a rangy jumper. Pick any combination you like of (a) Evans, Parling, Hines, Ryan with (b) Jones, Gray, Launchbury, Lawes.

3. Loosies - increasingly the most critical of all combinations - has to be a balance or it won't work. A fetcher, heavy carrier and a utility man are the way to go. I change my mind about this every day. It's 6. Robshaw 7. Tipuric and 8. O'Brien today. Tomorrow will be different.

4. Halfback hinge - am not so convinced that players from a single nation need to be paired here provided that their styles work - ie Sexton is used to quick ball and Philips may not work with him. You have to try out to see. One of the reasons the 2005 side never lost a dirttracker game was the combination of Cusiter and Hodgeson. It was brilliant.

5. Centres - against Horne, AAC and Barnes this is potentially our weakest area. I don't think that there any rules in particular other than the fact you have to choose 12 and 13 in their usual positions - defensively, you come to understand your channels and the traffic in them and make fewer mistakes.

6. Back three - no rules, really as long as all of the players can read each other and know when a break is on.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

Biltong wrote:who do you guys think is the best playmakers at 10 and 12 for the Lions?

What I mean by that is the best options for making the right decisions at the right times.

Biggar
Roberts

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:
Biltong wrote:who do you guys think is the best playmakers at 10 and 12 for the Lions?

Biggar
Roberts
Don't agree on Roberts, he is a crashball runner, JD is more creative in any manner you can think of.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:34 am

Biltong wrote:

Biggar
Roberts
Don't agree on Roberts, he is a crashball runner, JD is more creative in any manner you can think of.

I really want Henson to play to be honest.:

Excellent timing
Monster boot
Passing
Defence
Anticipation
Amazing rugby brain

Henson & BOD would be excellent against Australia.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:45 am

Biltong wrote:

Biggar
Roberts

Excellent timing
Monster boot
Passing
Defence
Anticipation
Amazing rugby brain

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Henson, I only know there is a lot of hype surrounding him.

But in my opinion the Lions need a playmaker at 12, and I don't know if they have one.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:52 am

Matt Scott could do the job.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

Biltong wrote:
Biltong wrote:

Biggar
Roberts

Excellent timing
Monster boot
Passing
Defence
Anticipation
Amazing rugby brain

Unfortunately I haven't seen much of Henson, I only know there is a lot of hype surrounding him.

But in my opinion the Lions need a playmaker at 12, and I don't know if they have one.

Really wish we had continued playing 12Ts at 12 as I think he could be the answer here. At 10 I guess a fit in form Sexton is the obvious choice.
Looking at the Reds this AM Genia & QC look to be finding some decent form & so skilful to watch. Big difference playing on those hard surfaces.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:34 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Like the sound of Hines and Evans and have always said that I hope JD and Tuilagi get a bit of game time together.

Tuilagi on the wing maybe...

He is not a centre.

Maes,

You're not the only one to float the Tuilagi on the wing siggestion but I just don't think he would be better than the wingers likely to go.

It might get a run out in the warm up games but the likes of Visser, Bowe & Zebo (if fit) North Cuthbert are all ahead of him for wing slots.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down