The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Umpire reviews

3 posters

Go down

Umpire reviews Empty Umpire reviews

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 24 Mar - 10:42

Can someone please enlighten me about the rules on umpire reviews? Been away from the game for a while and don't know when this was introduced or what it entails exactly. My understanding is that you only have a finite number of reviews per innings (or is it per match?). It's an interesting idea and I like how it's only a limited amount as to not undermine the umpires whilst at the same time eliminating the human error factor in the game.

I wonder if other sports would entertain introducing a similar rule. Imagine football if you were allowed to question an offside or rugby a forward pass but only a limited amount of opportunities to exercise that right to question the referee.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Umpire reviews Empty Re: Umpire reviews

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Mar - 13:24

Kiakaha - as I understand things, the batting and bowling side are both allowed two challenges/reviews in every innings. However, a review is only counted as having been made if the challenge is unsuccessful.

For a challenge to be successful by either side, the umpire clearly needs to be shown to be in the wrong (I'm simplifying things but you hopefully will get the gist).

Thus, if a lbw appeal is turned down by the umpire and on review the ball is shown to be clipping the leg side bail, the original decision wouldn't be reversed due to the uncertainty of the umpire being shown to be justified.

However - and Mrs Bat never understands this bit! Wink - if the batsman had been given out to the same ball, his challenge would not have been successful either as the technology provides enough evidence to support the umpire's original decision.

Basically, the system seeks to generally and sensibly support umpires whilst at the same time ridding the game of obvious howlers. The limit on the number of unsuccessful reviews also prevents the system being abused by either side.

Good for the game - and that from a dinosaur! thumbsup

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 24 Mar - 18:00

Thanks for that mate. thumbsup

I knew of the system but not the number per innings. Great idea I agree.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Mar - 22:37

But not apparently in India.... Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down