The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George North - front page of Rugby Paper

+20
LordDowlais
Knackeredknees
Cari
red_stag
Looseheaded
GunsGerms
yappysnap
Sgt_Pooly
Scarpia
thebluesmancometh
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_philVIII
Cyril
Knowsit17
Taffineastbourne
RubyGuby
nathan
majesticimperialman
t1000advancedprototype
Ospreydragon
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper - Page 2 Empty George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

I didn't buy it today, but glanced at the front page. Anyone see it? I may have misread but only glanced, but the reporter -- I think it was Peter Jackson -- was suggesting that the deal could be completed within 7 days. 250 K transfer fee, even though 300 K was apparently being asked for. This would be a big blow not just for the Scarlets but for Welsh rugby, if this turns out to be the case.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper - Page 2 Empty Re: George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

yappysnap wrote:Sorry B, not trying to be harsh but just genuinely bemused as to why the management would want to spend 250k on a winger when you really do need some other positions sorted out first. Although I had forgotten about Fotu and he'll def help, can he play 10...

I guess that IF they are signing north he would be the marquee signing so outside the cap. Thing is where else can they use that money? Good 10s will be looking to get in their RWC sqauds now, and we have seen how well Bath did when failing to get Carter they took Donald.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

George North - front page of Rugby Paper - Page 2 Empty Re: George North - front page of Rugby Paper

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:19 pm

Isn't that just spending money for the sake of spending it though?!

What are they going to do? Sign him for a season and keep looking, then blow another 250k on a player that they actually need? Or stick with North and try to squeeze some average players in to their squad with the money three departing props leaves them.

It's not just at 10 where there's a weakness, I don't think they ever properly replaced Kruger (lock), Wilson (no8) or Downey (12).

Again not trying to slag off or critise the Saints squad, just a little confused by their coaches selections (if true and if they do come off).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 5:28 pm

yappysnap wrote:Sorry B, not trying to be harsh but just genuinely bemused as to why the management would want to spend 250k on a winger when you really do need some other positions sorted out first. Although I had forgotten about Fotu and he'll def help, can he play 10...
No need to apologize yappy, just think the pack is about covered for next season. I've read on 606v2 that Fotu can play 10 if required but he has been signed as primarily as a 9 as per JM. I do agree though that a winger would be my 3rd choice behind a 10 & 12 for next season.

Saints forwards for next year.
LHP - Corbiserio, A Waller, An Other (journeyman of some description maybe)
THP - Ma'afu, Mercey, E Waller
SR - Day, Lawes*, Manoa*, Craig*
BR - Wood, Dowson, Clark*, Van Velze, Nutley, Oakley, Harrison, Dickinson* (if he ever gets fit)

*players who can play 4 or 6 as per JM & DW's preference.

Anyway, enough of me going off thread and back to the Saints audacious attempt to sign George 'superstar' North Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:07 pm

yappysnap wrote:It's not just at 10 where there's a weakness, I don't think they ever properly replaced Kruger (lock), Wilson (no8) or Downey (12).
I agree, yappy. Kruger was underappreciated when Saints signed him. Now he is a Springbok. To me the biggest losses were Wilson and our two centres. George Pisi was an attempt to replace Clarke but in reality Clarke and Downey played so well together that they were better than the sum of their parts. Really good 12s don't grow on trees. Perhaps the logic to signing North would be to create more space in the midfield as he would need to be more closely marked.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:31 am

I really hope this move doesn't go ahead. North is only 20 years old, we shouldn't let other nations take such young players away from Wales. Especially to the English premiership where none of our players ever seem to get anything from the experience.

If he was to go anywhere, Toulouse or Clermont Auvergne would be much better than Saints.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:35 am

Maes, rumour has it he was offered a 5 year contract by Toulouse (£350kpa, and £300k to the Scarlets) but he turned it down, which is well within his right.

His girlfriend is based in Manchester, and apparently he has family living near Northampton, so I guess personal, off feild, reasons would make Northampton a far more logical choice for him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:42 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes, rumour has it he was offered a 5 year contract by Toulouse (£350kpa, and £300k to the Scarlets) but he turned it down, which is well within his right.

His girlfriend is based in Manchester, and apparently he has family living near Northampton, so I guess personal, off feild, reasons would make Northampton a far more logical choice for him.

Well loved ones have to come first, I'm sure many other readers can remember making decisions for their girlfriends benefit when they were 20 years old. Though I have frequently noticed that following your girlfriend when you are 20 years old is not necessarily the best influence on your career.

This has bad move written all over it.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:51 am

Maes a woman will drag you far far further than dynamite can blow you.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 5:55 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Maes a woman will drag you far far further than dynamite can blow you.

Ha ha ha.... I'm not saying a word in case my wife walks past behind me, dangerous ground there SS...!

But following a girlfriend when your 20 can seem bloody ridiculous, but only in hindsight, at the time it is the only option. I guess the run between Manchester and Saints each day would only be about twenty minutes for him on foot maybe a little less if he was towing a fully laden HGV as he usually does in training. Costly on trainers though...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm

George must "be sure":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/mar/28/northampton-wales-george-north-scarlets

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 29 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
yappysnap wrote:It's not just at 10 where there's a weakness, I don't think they ever properly replaced Kruger (lock), Wilson (no8) or Downey (12).
I agree, yappy. Kruger was underappreciated when Saints signed him. Now he is a Springbok. To me the biggest losses were Wilson and our two centres. George Pisi was an attempt to replace Clarke but in reality Clarke and Downey played so well together that they were better than the sum of their parts. Really good 12s don't grow on trees. Perhaps the logic to signing North would be to create more space in the midfield as he would need to be more closely marked.

Yea in hindsight Kruger was key to your pack, he was just so good in the lineout and around the field. Likewise Downey and Clarke brought that physicality and offloading for the wingers that you've not quite managed to replicate. Pisi at 13 is quality, could Burrell be the future at 12? Likewise it seems like Phil Dowson seems to be fading now, Clarke may be the man to replace him but you still need a quality no8 to partner Wood, Clarke or Nutley none of whom are overly powerful. Although I see Wood is at 8 for you against Tigers.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat 30 Mar 2013, 9:05 am

""And I understand this to be the case, that... the Scarlets have offered George North a new contract, the best offer they can.

"That's been turned down.

"But they know he's got a year left on his contract.

"In a year's time he'll be a free agent so they'll get nothing [if he stays next season and leaves at the end of his contract]."

Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21977459

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2