The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union

+4
GLove39
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
little_badger
8 posters

Go down

Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union Empty Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union

Post by little_badger Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 am

My subject is the contact made by Chris Ashton on Fa'asavalu of Harlequins this weekend. I do not call it a tackle as this would devalue the meaning of the word. I am not one for sensationalist comments, however I do tend to make an exception when the act is one of total and utter stupidity.

I accept that in the heat of the moment mistakes can be made, I do not believe however that one can swing an arm directly at someone's neck in the manner that Ashton did and call it an attempted tackle (which is presumably what he would claim). I watched the replay, Fa'asavalu did not appear to duck into the tackle (an often claimed excuse).

From a young age rugby players are taught the art of tackling, low body position, 'cheek to cheek', wrap your arms around and hold on. Everything Ashton did was the opposite, as I said mistakes are made but a player of his experience should know the difference. He also has previous in this area, this is not an isolated incident.

I hope that someone takes him aside and presents him with the question 'did any aspect of that movement mirror a rugby tackling technique'. If his answer is yes - he might need some sort of CT scan, if no - perhaps he should consider mini-rugby, I've seen much better tackles from some of them.

This is not intended to provoke but to start a meaningful discussion on the attitude of one 'professional' rugby player.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union Empty Re: Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 am

It's a desperation tackle, Ashton has thrown an arm out to try and stop the man as he's to far away to make a tackle. He got it wrong and got a yc. It was hardly malicious.

High tackles are a sad trend in the game. Monye looked set for a yc in the first half but Sarries scored from the penalty advantage.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union Empty Re: Clothesline - a commentary on wrestling moves in rugby union

Post by LondonTiger Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:19 am

When I started playing you generally tackled round the legs - into the midriff if you wanted to knock some wind out of the player.

Slowly but surely tackling has moved upward - we had the influence of the chest hits from PI players, aiming for the ball etc, etc. As tackling has moved up the body the risk of getting it slightly wrong and hitting the neck and head increases. We see many more high tackles nowadays and less punishment.

The Paul Ringer challenge in 1980 (tried to find a clip and failed so relying on memory) caused huge controversy and pretty much precipitated his move to RL. Thing is I reckon you would see a couple of those every weekend now, if you watched a full weekend of rugby.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:30 am

I agree LT, far too much is let go these days. I particularly despise the extreme style of choke tackle where a forearm is shoved across the throat as opposed to across the chest. It is both lazy and dangerous.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:57 am

Watched it on Rugbydump http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/03/3100/chris-ashton-carded-for-high-swinging-arm-on-maurie-faasavalu#allcomments
and can't believe that he wasnt banned. Kinda suspect that if that had been a player from the pacific islands and not a member of the Engkand 'elite' squad he would have been suspended...

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:12 am

Look at it from Ashtons POV, he's taken such stick recently about him having no real guts in defence, his technique lacking and bottle non existant, he is desperate to get on the lions tour, and no matter what he offers going forward he is behind a group of players arguably more dangerous who are willing to make big hits when needed.

He knows he needs to highlight his defencive prowess to Gatland, in the hope of a wildcard place on the plane, and as soon as he gets a chanced he is going to try to flatten people, he's done the right thing in coming in from his wing (there are big forwards inside him and quins can play through his inside shoulder easily enough) but he has totally got his footwork wrong, realised if he hits the guy anywhere that doesn't dislodge the ball they'll get outside him and he'll be seen as a weakness again. He's decided to deliver a ball dropping blow and take the yellow card rather than have another example of his lack of defencive prowess. From his POV job done, less harm to his lions chances than if he misses the tackle and concedes a try.

From anyone elses POV petulant slap high because he has fluffed his lines out wide... again!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:48 am

LondonTiger wrote:When I started playing you generally tackled round the legs - into the midriff if you wanted to knock some wind out of the player.

Slowly but surely tackling has moved upward - we had the influence of the chest hits from PI players, aiming for the ball etc, etc. As tackling has moved up the body the risk of getting it slightly wrong and hitting the neck and head increases. We see many more high tackles nowadays and less punishment.

The Paul Ringer challenge in 1980 (tried to find a clip and failed so relying on memory) caused huge controversy and pretty much precipitated his move to RL. Thing is I reckon you would see a couple of those every weekend now, if you watched a full weekend of rugby.

That's not strictly true LT.

Take that try from NZ v Baabaa's in 1973, I see at least three blatant high tackles in just over a minutes rugby, two of which are around the throat and no different to Ashtons.

These things have always occurred.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:49 am

Link if you want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:58 pm

Thats a stinker - very lucky not to be red /banned

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Ashton's tackle was a yellow, nothing more. Right call. Move on
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Nonsense - lucky to get away with a yellow for it. Even the English commentators said so.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

As a Quins fan, I disagree, TJ. Though he has now got a lot of YC's this season due to his inability to tackle properly, coupled with his inability to tackle at all at Int level and so something must be done about it
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:09 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:As a Quins fan, I disagree, TJ. Though he has now got a lot of YC's this season due to his inability to tackle properly, coupled with his inability to tackle at all at Int level and so something must be done about it

Firing squad?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:11 pm

Well the commentators thought so - not a stonewall red but easily could have been.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down