The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs

+45
alive555
ChequeredJersey
SecretFly
thebluesmancometh
mikey_philVIII
TJ1
Notch
DrTreasure
perthshirepuma
LeinsterFan4life
valjester
reallybored
cakeordeath
bsando
Imperialbigdave
GLove39
Artful_Dodger
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Thomond
RDW
Gibson
the-goon
VinceWLB
GoodinTightSpaces
red_stag
Mickado
Manky-Flanker
Pat_Mustard
Jenifer McLadyboy
IanBru
ThegroundsmanIII
Scot Abroad
jimbopip
Kingshu
Sin é
BlueMuff
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
UlstermaninGlasgow
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
George Carlin
profitius
MacKnocked-on
21st Century Schizoid Man
49 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs  Empty Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 6:44

Huge game for the Warriors. Shaping up to be bitterly cold. Ints all back for both sides. C'mon Munstermen. Youse have been awful shy recently

WARRIORS Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs  Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 7:16

Warriors possible:-

15.Murchie
14.Seymour/Maitland (if fit)
13.Dunbar
12.Horne
11.DTH
10.Weir
9.Niko

8.Wilson (c)
7.Barclay
6.Strauss - If fit, if not Rob Harley
5.Ryder
4.Swinson
3.Kalman
2.Hall
1.Grant

16.Wee P MacArthur
17.Reid/Low - his tackle on the Leinster wing was the most bone shuddering I have seen all season
18.Welsh
19. Kellock
20.Harley
21.Pyrgos
22.Jackson
23.Hogg

Murchie keeps Hogg on the bench after his stellar display in Dublin.

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs  Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors v Munster, Scotstoun, Friday 29 March, 20:05 hrs

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 9:19

Murchie does look to be a much improved player as the season has gone on doesn't he. Obviously a different type of player to Hogg but a good option to have now.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 10:35

I'd still pick Hogg, you need your best players for your big games and Hogg is arguably Glasgow's best Player and should be playing these matches, save Murchie for mid table teams with nothing to play for.

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 11:34

I'd say the Munster team will be the same as last week. POCs return has given the team a big boost and the new 9, Sheridan was good last week. The backs are still playing shi'ite.

Munster have the worlds slowest winger (Denis Hurley) on one wing and the oldest winger (Dougie Howlett) on the other. Needless to say Glasgow should target Hurley.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 17:47

There are abatoirs that don't see as much butchering as took place at the RDS last week. Glasgow played some good stuff but weren't clinical enough and they wandered into Madigan's highlight reel.

They need to win against Munster and win well. I think that they will, despite the Munster forwards clearly being re-energised by POC returning. I think that Toonie will wheel out the big guns if everyone is fit and whilst there are still some injury niggles, I'd really like to see:

15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Dunbar
12. Horne
11. DTH
10. Weir
9. Matawalu

8. Wilson (c)
7. Barclay
6. Strauss
5. Ryder
4. Swinson
3. Cusack
2. MacArthur
1. Grant

16. Hall
17. Low
18. Welsh
19. Kellock
20. Harley
21. Pyrgos
22. Jackson
23. Murchie
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 20:19

George Carlin wrote:There are abatoirs that don't see as much butchering as took place at the RDS last week. Glasgow played some good stuff but weren't clinical enough and they wandered into Madigan's highlight reel.

They need to win against Munster and win well. I think that they will, despite the Munster forwards clearly being re-energised by POC returning. I think that Toonie will wheel out the big guns if everyone is fit and whilst there are still some injury niggles, I'd really like to see:

15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Dunbar
12. Horne
11. DTH
10. Weir
9. Matawalu

8. Wilson (c)
7. Barclay
6. Strauss
5. Ryder
4. Swinson
3. Cusack
2. MacArthur
1. Grant

16. Hall
17. Low
18. Welsh
19. Kellock
20. Harley
21. Pyrgos
22. Jackson
23. Murchie

That would be a cracking team if selected, here's hoping.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 23:07

Good news this morning that Jon Welsh has agreed a two-year extension to his contract. He's always been build as incredibly naturally strong which may lie behind his (seemingly) permanent switch to tighthead

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 26 Mar 2013 - 23:46

Something makes me think that Henry might start this game... Niko is amazing, but this one may call for some patience at the start, with Niko coming on at 60 mins to up the pace...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:02

Interesting that a couple of Glasgow fans (GC and Schiz) seem to prefer Strauss at 6 with Wilson at 8, rather than Harley and Strauss. Any particular reason? I personally would start with Harley and his relentless workrate, and then bring on Wilson for impact later on.

I see there's also no room for the most talented Scottish player of his and any generation. Not even on the bench. He won't make the Lions at this rate, which is a concern.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:04

funnyExiledScot wrote:Interesting that a couple of Glasgow fans (GC and Schiz) seem to prefer Strauss at 6 with Wilson at 8, rather than Harley and Strauss. Any particular reason? I personally would start with Harley and his relentless workrate, and then bring on Wilson for impact later on.

I see there's also no room for the most talented Scottish player of his and any generation. Not even on the bench. He won't make the Lions at this rate, which is a concern.

I'm assuming he will be delivering Sermons and turning water into tennants for the Weagie faithful angel
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:05

funnyExiledScot wrote:Interesting that a couple of Glasgow fans (GC and Schiz) seem to prefer Strauss at 6 with Wilson at 8, rather than Harley and Strauss. Any particular reason? I personally would start with Harley and his relentless workrate, and then bring on Wilson for impact later on.

We share that concern, fES angel

But he will be available for Scotland's South African tour, unless he goes to the JWC u20 tournie - prodigious talent!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:14

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

But he will be available for Scotland's South African tour, unless he goes to the JWC u20 tournie - prodigious talent!

Frans Steyn and Jacques Fourie against Mark Bennett. That would be worth the airfare!

Would make this coming Friday seem a picnic ..... angel

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:25

Harley's more of an impact sub for me, being (very) slightly taller and heavier than Wilson. Wilson's pick and go from the base of the scrum is also quicker than Strauss (as you might expect from a dedicated 8) and I prefer the Beardy Bluto as a second receiver crash ball merchant in the first phase - we get more yardage that way. Both are excellent though.

The Messiah has been rested after his diplomatic mission in South Sudan efforts with the U20's but I think that Toonie is a fan so I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a utility sub/deity.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:28

Wilson also brings an element of leadership as well. To tell the truth the best impact sub of the three is Josh, as he comes on like a man possessed after Bob or Ryan have tackled/worked themselves into the ground...

And you could feasibly play all three as Wilson is a decent groundhog for an 8, and play left/right with Harley/Strauss if Barcs gets injured.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:30

Cant think of the last time Munster actually won a match the week before HC. Am fairly confident this time around though with Internationals returning and should be something like the full team.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:43

Fair enough UIG and GC - nice to have such strong options and flexibility. It becomes even more interesting when Chris Fusaro comes back to fitness - all good options.

When is Cusack slated to return? He be handy to have in the last few games of the season, gives the backs a sturdier platform, and a complete nightmare for the opposing loosehead.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 0:54

FES - Toonie said that the Mighty Coo would have been borderline fit enough to have started the Leinster game but they didn't want to risk him, so he was formally noted as injured on the last team sheet.

I'd really like him to be back for this one though. Kilcoyne is good but from what I've seen he isn't in the same scrummaging league as the likes of Healy and he will definitely be targeted.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 1:04

That was what I was just about to say. Expect him at the very least on the bench for this one.

Killer is good in the loose, and has stepped up his scrummaging, but is not in the Coo's league. I'd expect a big game from the Glasgow pack.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 1:06

Cusack will cause Kilcoyne problems - no question. Getting to the Munster scrum will be key to putting ROG under pressure. Do that and Munster will struggle here - particularly if Niko, Dunbar and DTH are on song in the backs.

Still, Munster sent what was very much a reserve side to Murrayfield against Edinburgh earlier this year and made a mess of us (not hard admittedly). Never an easy game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 2:48

It looks like Glasgow are going all out for this game ... a munster supporter living in Glasgow posted that Glasgow have a 'Munster are Coming' banner up. Do Glasgow do this for every team?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 2:59

Hoping for a Munster win.

Munster lose and the league is prob over for them, Munster win and it'll be a very intresting finish, with 6 teams all in with a shout.

Also Munster win means an Ulster home semi, becomes that wee bit more probable.

Have to say though I like Glasgow and at home actually think they will win.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 5:05

It has occurred to my pea -sized brain that we're already in the play-offs, in the sense that every game now is a must win. I think Munster must win all of their remaining fixtures or it's so long and thanks for the soda bread.But realistically doesn't the same go for everyone else? (obviously substituting tattie scones and larva bread).
One consequence of this is that Toonie might feel that he has to play his best XV on Friday and as much as possible thereafter.
I started to put up a team but find I am in total agreement with his Georgeness with the exception of including Kellock over Ryder. Big Al is their leader and will remain till the end of the season.Would also start Rob Harley and use Bluto as an impact sub, he is slightly more dynamic in the loose!
I feel very confident of a Glasgow victory, if only because Munster will have one eye on the HC.
But it feels like sudden death for the top six from here in.
Yes I know that that is a mathematically flawed statement but you know what I mean.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Scot Abroad Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 7:50

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Frans Steyn and Jacques Fourie against Mark Bennett. That would be worth the airfare!

The game being on Good Friday probably explains his absence.

Scot Abroad

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 8:51

Teams aren't up yet Scot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 16:58

Scot Abroad wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

The game being on Good Friday probably explains his absence.
Yep, busy Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 17:24

Sin é wrote:It looks like Glasgow are going all out for this game ... a munster supporter living in Glasgow posted that Glasgow have a 'Munster are Coming' banner up. Do Glasgow do this for every team?
Sin - Munster always get a lot of respect anyway but the real reason for the big guns (if in fact they are pulled out) is that Glasgow just snapped a long winning streak and everyone at the club knows its a game that should not have been lost (forward passes notwithstanding). If you're ahead on the scoreboard for 70 minutes out of the 80, as Glasgow were, then you should be taking 4 points away. It's very, very tight at the top now and we can't have any more slip ups.

We only have 2 home games left, plus a tricky visit to the Scarlets. It may sound a bit arrogant - but Toonie will be telling the team that he expects a bonus point win here.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ThegroundsmanIII Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 23:52

Do any of you actually know Mark Bennett? Or any of these players? Or do you watch them at home and think I could coach this team or these players aren't good enough. Question i put to you, what have you done and who are you?

ThegroundsmanIII

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 27 Mar 2013 - 23:59

ThegroundsmanIII wrote:Do any of you actually know Mark Bennett? Or any of these players? Or do you watch them at home and think I could coach this team or these players aren't good enough. Question i put to you, what have you done and who are you?

This is a forum mate, a place to discuss Rugby and all of its glory. I don't know Mark Bennett, can't say I have ever had the pleasure. He does seem to be a really talented player, but I don't think *(OPINION WARNING)* he is as good as some other posters on here are making out.

An interesting 1st post groundsman... welcome to the board anyway thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 0:16

ThegroundsmanIII wrote:Do any of you actually know Mark Bennett? Or any of these players? Or do you watch them at home and think I could coach this team or these players aren't good enough. Question i put to you, what have you done and who are you?

Are you the guy responsible for the pitch at Stade Francais by any chance?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by ThegroundsmanIII Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 0:25

Allianz Park

ThegroundsmanIII

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 0:40

ThegroundsmanIII wrote:Allianz Park

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 8:30

So first up... Welcome groundsman. You seem genuinely weird and borderline deranged. You'll feel at home here.
Secondly... Mrs Pip has eviscerated a raven and studied the entrails and it seems we are safe to travel northwards by public highway on Friday morn. I broached the subject of donning posh frocks and nosebags for a birthday treat that evening and she said to leave it till Saturday. I began to hint that maybe I would give her and her mother time alone to peruse the old one's latest ASBO when Mrspip cried out, "Where's the game?"
And some men say their wives don't understand them.
So it's Scotstoun for me on Friday I think.
Schiz, if your offer's still open let me know. Anyone else fancy a shandy?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by ThegroundsmanIII Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 8:57

I don't mean to come across as 'deranged' but I fail to see where people see the players as being 'arrogant' and are just using this to have a cheap dig at players. Last time I checked players don't write their own press. And I realise forums are for people's personal opinions but y u no positive? Haven't you seen the strategy? We are going to win the World Cup in 2 years time (deranged enough?!)

ThegroundsmanIII

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 9:01

ThegroundsmanIII wrote:I don't mean to come across as 'deranged' but I fail to see where people see the players as being 'arrogant' and are just using this to have a cheap dig at players. Last time I checked players don't write their own press. And I realise forums are for people's personal opinions but y u no positive? Haven't you seen the strategy? We are going to win the World Cup in 2 years time (deranged enough?!)
And a lone voice cried in the wilderness, but the children of the thistle refused to be swayed by his logic and instead huddled together warmed by their ignorance, Buckie and GC's copious statistics.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 11:48

As the week goes by, I've been getting steadily grumpier knowing that this is the one match at Scotstoun I'm not able to attend.

I'm sure some of you have connections with whoever schedules Easter (I suspect Schitz knows a guy) - could someone kindly kick him in the Mike Browns please? (The guy, not Schitz...)

Freezing my jubblies off on in Tobermory is not my idea of a religious holiday.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 16:01

jimbopip wrote:
ThegroundsmanIII wrote:I don't mean to come across as 'deranged' but I fail to see where people see the players as being 'arrogant' and are just using this to have a cheap dig at players. Last time I checked players don't write their own press. And I realise forums are for people's personal opinions but y u no positive? Haven't you seen the strategy? We are going to win the World Cup in 2 years time (deranged enough?!)
And a lone voice cried in the wilderness, but the children of the thistle refused to be swayed by his logic and instead huddled together warmed by their ignorance, Buckie and GC's copious statistics.
Laugh We're back at Ian Lee's cab driver story - "well, you can prove anything with facts, can't you?"
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 18:19

Stewart Lee. Lets stick to the facts. Smile

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 20:22

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Stewart Lee. Lets stick to the facts. Smile
clap Laugh

If you want a milder poster, Jen, please ask for one.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 21:44

Loving that BBC Alba have this on as a double header with the Zebre - Edinburgh game starting at 6pm UK time followed by Glasgow - Munster at 8! That's my Friday evening sorted!

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 22:29

Pat_Mustard wrote:Loving that BBC Alba have this on as a double header with the Zebre - Edinburgh game starting at 6pm UK time followed by Glasgow - Munster at 8! That's my Friday evening sorted!

I didn't know that! Awesome! What better way to mark this religious festival than watching my two favourite club sides (Edinburgh and Munster....only kidding...) in action with a couple of litres of Innis & Gunn by my side.

If Edinburgh and Glasgow both pick up 5 points I may even stretch to buying my wife an Easter egg this year.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 23:28

“Injured pair Michael Cusack and Chris Fusaro are both progressing well and we hope they’ll be available to play in the next few weeks.”

Glasgow Warriors
15 Stuart Hogg

14 Sean Maitland
13 Sean Lamont
12 Peter Horne
11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Ruaridh Jackson
9 Nikola Matawalu

1 Ryan Grant
2 Pat MacArthur
3 Jon Welsh
4 Tim Swinson
5 Alastair Kellock (Captain)
6 Josh Strauss
7 John Barclay
8 Ryan Wilson

Substitutes

16 Dougie Hall
17 Ofa Fainga'anuku
18 Moray Low
19 Tom Ryder
20 Robert Harley
21 Henry Pyrgos
22 Duncan Weir
23 Mark Bennett

Not available for selection through injury:

Michael Cusack (shoulder), Chris Cusiter (shoulder), Alex Dunbar (knee), Chris Fusaro (groin), Finlay Gillies (neck), Rory Lamont (ankle), Tommy Seymour (knee)

Shame Coo is still not involved. I'll be interested to see what Munster do about Niko at 9. Leinster clearly targeted him last week and him under alot of pressure all game. Munster must have taken note.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 28 Mar 2013 - 23:47

That's a mighty decent team Toonie is putting out there. Attacking threats all over the pitch, and in Jackson and Horne, two very good distributors.

Strong bench as well. No question that Toonie is throwing the kitchen sink at this fixture - a home play-off depends on it.

Shame about Dunbar, but Lamont coming in at 13 after playing the entire 6 Nations at 13 is hardly weakening matters, and the Messiah is on hand to come on if Glasgow require divine intervention.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:02

Munster: F Jones; D Howlett Capt., C Laulala, J Downey, J Murphy; R O’Gara, D Williams; D Kilcoyne, M Sherry, BJ Botha; Donncha O’Callaghan, P O’Connell; P Butler, T O’Donnell, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, W du Preez, S Archer, B Holland, N Ronan, C Sheridan, I Keatley, I Dineen.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:07

Ouch - this is going to be a cracking game. Really strong Munster side there, bags of experience.

I guess it's that time of the season - crunch time for Munster. Lose this and their domestic season is over.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:08

Who's the goal kicker in the Glasgow team, Horne and Jackson aren't exactly reliable? Does Toonie think we can go for a try fest against Munster?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:15

MacKnocked-on wrote:Who's the goal kicker in the Glasgow team, Horne and Jackson aren't exactly reliable? Does Toonie think we can go for a try fest against Munster?

I personally would go with Jackson ahead of Horne, but I agree that goal kicking could be an issue here. I can only assume that Toonie wants his 5 points. It does have the feel of a "going for broke" team selection. There was a strong case to go with Pyrgos and Weir to start - a bit more structure.

Still, can't wait to see this one unfold. Both sides will be looking for 5 points, as Munster have quite a bit of ground to make up to get into the playoffs, and will want to get the 1st XV firing on all cylinders going into the HC.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:22

I'd say Munster are keeping their powder dry for the HCup QF. No POM, D Ryan or Conor Murray and worst of all, our worst scrumhalf - Duncan Williams instead of Cathal Sheridan who started last week.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:25

Well I'm pleased to hear you're picking a dodgy scrum half, should allow Barclay to put some pressure on ROG. Quite like the look of your outside backs so we need to be cutting off the supply.

Last edited by funnyExiledScot on Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:31; edited 1 time in total

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 29 Mar 2013 - 0:25

Williams and ROG - ouch.

If Munster win this I would be very surprised! They've obviously got one eye on next week.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next