The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll

+29
mystiroakey
thebluesmancometh
100%beefy
Glas a du
George Carlin
Sin é
offload
TJ1
rodders
RubyGuby
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
majesticimperialman
flyhalffactory
Sgt_Pooly
bluestonevedder
alive555
RuggerRadge2611
fa0019
irfon17
welshboii15
Barney McGrew did it
dgttaylor
SecretFly
LondonTiger
gregortree
GunsGerms
The Great Aukster
theslosty
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lions Captain?

Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap27%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 29 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 12 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 12 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 7 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 8 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 12 ]
Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 11 ]
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 107

Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Empty Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll

Post by theslosty Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 am

First topic message reminder :

This may not turn out to be thread of the year, but you know what to do.

Vote for who you would like to see captain the Lions in Australia.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll

Post by theslosty Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:09 am

And it is worth noting that at least in the first half, Munster were hardly "smashed" up front.
But I agree POC cannot go on reputation, he probably needs a massive game against Quins.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions Captain - No Nonsense Poll

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:14 am

Munster were in it in the 1st half agreed, but there was only one team in it after the break. O'Connell is a great player but he hasn't shown consistent form since coming back from injury, time is running out.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 am

He's only played two matches, give him a break. He was MOTM in his first game back and fair enough Munster were utterly outplayed last week, but I don't think if he played well it would've changed the outcome.

He said himself that he needs 3 games to get back to full fitness. IMO his chances rest on his performance this weekend. Judge him on that.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:19 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Munster were in it in the 1st half agreed, but there was only one team in it after the break. O'Connell is a great player but he hasn't shown consistent form since coming back from injury, time is running out.

He's had two games...one showing he can, the other showing he maybe can't. Hardly anything to get too worked up about in terms of displaying 'consistent' form.

If O'Connell is picked to travel it will be based on Gatland's opinion of his inherent abilities and Gatland's own instincts operating rather than really based too much on form. Gatland will be predicting what form O'Connell could be in if he gets into Lions camp and prepares under Lions conditions

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Munster were in it in the 1st half agreed, but there was only one team in it after the break. O'Connell is a great player but he hasn't shown consistent form since coming back from injury, time is running out.

Has he played enough to show consistent form - Glasgow was his 2nd game for Munster since last October having had a back op.

Thought he faded a bit in the 2nd half myself - but that could be a match fitness issue rather than a form issue.

At least 2 intense games to come - Quins & Leinster.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:23 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:They are but he didn't do his credentials any good when he is getting outplayed by Ruck inspector Kellock.

Maybe not but its unlikely POC will be judged on one match. In the previous game he looked very sharp and scored a nice try for example. Im sure reputation and class will be considered in some cases.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 am

O'Connell is a great example of a player who is easily good enough to travel but may simply not have enough time to get back to full fitness.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 am

Whilst we're vaguely on topic, what is the latest on Zebo? I read that he was targeting to comeback this weekend?
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am

I'd say if he kept injury free he'd be coming right round to full fitness just as Lions are about to kick off. Most Lions players will be kind of trying to extend season's form... they'll be running on empty, some of them, by the last test. O'Connell, if injury free should still have an air of freshness that few would actually match given his lay off.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 am

Richie Gray for me.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 am

Robshaw? Surely the Capt actually has to be playing

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:13 am

100%beefy wrote:Robshaw? Surely the Capt actually has to be playing

If not Robshaw, who then?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 am

For the tour captain I would probably only consider Wilkinson or BOD, neither are great players but both are exceptional leaders and great professionals alike!!

I honestly think a test captain isn't as important as a tour captain, a test captain can be attained from the most senior player in the best form, and whereas players today are far more understanding of rotation and peak performance. There are 4 natural captains in the squad anyway, probably more with test captain experience.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:51 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:For the tour captain I would probably only consider Wilkinson or BOD, neither are great players but both are exceptional leaders and great professionals alike!!

I honestly think a test captain isn't as important as a tour captain, a test captain can be attained from the most senior player in the best form, and whereas players today are far more understanding of rotation and peak performance. There are 4 natural captains in the squad anyway, probably more with test captain experience.

Wilko wont be there so that would be an odd call.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 am

If Sexton is not 100%, Farrell does not come out of the Heineken covered in glory and Toulon advances to the final, then I think Wilkinson going becomes more and more likely. There, I done said it. tomato
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:32 am

majesticimperialman wrote:
100%beefy wrote:Robshaw? Surely the Capt actually has to be playing

If not Robshaw, who then?

wtf knows really, everyone bangs on about BOD but he is off form and not assured of a start and to me is a throwback to the worst Lions debacle ever, Warburton whilst back in form is no Capt and certainly cannot be expected to concentrate on his own game and lead a scratch side by example. I like 2nd row Capts a la MJ/POC so AWJ maybe but he seems to me like a default choice.

There is just no stand out...Gethin maybe but again not assured of a start. i expect Gats, being Gats, might just pick his side first then skipper.

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:38 am

How could it not be Chris Ashton?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 am

George Carlin wrote:If Sexton is not 100%, Farrell does not come out of the Heineken covered in glory and Toulon advances to the final, then I think Wilkinson going becomes more and more likely. There, I done said it. tomato

Biggar?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 am

Maybe Captains ain't what they used to be?

I think you all over-cook the importance of the role, actually.

The Lions will be stuffed with players of the ability to think for themselves, within a certain gameplan overview. If they need a Big Momma Leader to tell them what to say, and where to have a drink, and to be in bed by ten, and where to kick a ball under pressure, then they ain't modern professional Lions - as they'd like to think of themselves as being.

Relax, any of a handful of guys will do. The handful of guys in contention won't be exactly listening too much to orders from the chosen one anyway Wink

I guess though that the idea of military precision and etiquette is endemic to some souls here though...so continue trying to choose the best general...oops, Captain.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:50 am

mystiroakey wrote:How could it not be Chris Ashton?

True he's the obvious choice - but then logic tells me that gatland will go with a surprise choice, just to be different and keep those Aussies guessing. steam
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:52 am

Yeah he will probally go for some wanabee liek BOD or Warbs

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:53 am

Doh picard

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:04 am

majesticimperialman wrote:

Doh picard

laughing Doh picard

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:02 am

The only player to clearly hold respect from everyone.. Gatland would get all the great press he deseves with picking Ashton the stand out captain..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 am

100%beefy wrote:
George Carlin wrote:If Sexton is not 100%, Farrell does not come out of the Heineken covered in glory and Toulon advances to the final, then I think Wilkinson going becomes more and more likely. There, I done said it. tomato

Biggar?
If Sexton is not 100%, Farrell does not come out of the Heineken covered in glory and Toulon advances to the final, then I think Wilkinson going becomes more and more likely. There, I done said it. tomato
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 am

George Carlin wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Biggar?

Biggar?

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:09 am

100%beefy wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
100%beefy wrote:

Biggar?

Biggar?
just not possible Beefy. In so many ways.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Various prerequisites for the job: lead from the front; intimidate the opposition with their presence; respected by the other players; blah, blah. but above all you hope they are the first name on the team sheet.

There in lies the problem, there is no first name on the team sheet, no stand out candidate.

- Until the Scotland match Rory Best was first in line for me, but since then and Hibbard on the up, does he even start?
- AWJ is being mentioned, but with only just returning to fitness, and others esp. Evans in better form, Launchbury, Parling and Gray returning, again there is no saying he starts?
- Can't pick Robshaw because of Warburton and Tipuric. Likewise can't pick Warburton because of Robshaw.
- BOD and POC are also being mentioned. On their best form both start and both cracking candidates for captain, but neither are on form. Moreover given their form, could also argue that both are in the mix at the moment, precisely because of a lack of stand out alternate.

So question is this great strength in depth or a massive concern?

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:20 pm

It's the classic question, Total. To be fair to Gats, he has been clear that he will not guarantee that his captain will start a test. With that pressure off, it's probably more important to be a figurehead / spokesperson for the tour party which pretty much makes O'Driscoll the obvious candidate.

My feeling is that at present BOD is more likely to be in the test team than POC, Warbs and possibly even Robshaw (although I think Robshaw does need to start for us).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Adam Jones.

Guaranteed starter, very well respected by all, well spoken, self deprecating, funny and will lead by example by doing his job on the field with out any doubts whatsoever.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:59 pm

George Carlin wrote:It's the classic question, Total. To be fair to Gats, he has been clear that he will not guarantee that his captain will start a test. With that pressure off, it's probably more important to be a figurehead / spokesperson for the tour party which pretty much makes O'Driscoll the obvious candidate.

My feeling is that at present BOD is more likely to be in the test team than POC, Warbs and possibly even Robshaw (although I think Robshaw does need to start for us).

Agreed re Robshaw, I think he has to start too - but can't make him captain just in case the first test gets run by Pocock and the back row needs to be changed to include two more out and out open sides to counteract him in the second.

Hadn't realised Gatland had said that - clearly not reading enough on this topic!! BOD makes sense then.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Pocock is out of the Lions series.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok my serious answer. Its just the fact that Ashton was stuck on the list made me have to comment.. Isnt that what you wanted OP Wink

Bod would be Fairytale stuff TBH. Is he a gaurented starter after recent performance?.. However if he starts he would have to be my choice..

Warbs is obviously another stand out name.

Chris Robshaw personally(the anglo in me) is my choice..

But Adam Jones as mentioned above would also be decent

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Pocock is out of the Lions series.

Cheers for the update Sgt., my ignorance clearly knows no bounds, can't think what the hell I've been doing with my time.

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:19 pm

Adam Jones is not leader material on or off the field - a great lad and one of the most likeable players around but a leader definately not and as for after match speaker and analyst, No way Jose - He gets anxious in interviews, stumbles over his words and rolls his eyes when he doesn't know what to say. The natural leaders are BOD, Robshaw and Ryan Jones actually with BOD for me being the only realistic candidate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Adam Jones cannot be the Lions figurehead.

Not with that hair.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:44 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Adam Jones is not leader material on or off the field - a great lad and one of the most likeable players around but a leader definately not and as for after match speaker and analyst, No way Jose - He gets anxious in interviews, stumbles over his words and rolls his eyes when he doesn't know what to say. The natural leaders are BOD, Robshaw and Ryan Jones actually with BOD for me being the only realistic candidate thumbsup

The same can be said for Kelly Brown. Yet he is a fantastic captain. In fact I think the fact Kelly Brown has to compose himself with his deep breaths and pauses it actually makes what he says more articulate and you listen more to what he has to say.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:38 pm

As I posted earlier in this thread - there is not an obvious choice for a captain who is guaranteed to start. There are a number of very credible candidates but none are nailed on starters.

If you go back 20 years it's hard to argue that Hastings, Johnson (twice), BOD and POC weren't obvious captains and also first names on the team sheet.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm

I reckon Gatland has a list of who will be his nailed on starters, we can just speculate.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Adam Jones is not leader material on or off the field - a great lad and one of the most likeable players around but a leader definately not and as for after match speaker and analyst, No way Jose - He gets anxious in interviews, stumbles over his words and rolls his eyes when he doesn't know what to say. The natural leaders are BOD, Robshaw and Ryan Jones actually with BOD for me being the only realistic candidate thumbsup

The same can be said for Kelly Brown. Yet he is a fantastic captain. In fact I think the fact Kelly Brown has to compose himself with his deep breaths and pauses it actually makes what he says more articulate and you listen more to what he has to say.

Kelly Brown rolls his eyes back so you know he's composing himself and thinking about an articulate response - Adams just go back because he doesn't know what to say, there's a big difference thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I reckon Gatland has a list of who will be his nailed on starters, we can just speculate.

Wood has to be nailed on at 6 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 pm

You think? I'd be surprised if he toured.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I reckon Gatland has a list of who will be his nailed on starters, we can just speculate.

Wood has to be nailed on at 6 thumbsup

Very Happy Ruby you're such a wag
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:55 pm

It depends on where Gatland sees Robshaw. If he sees Robshaw as a 6 I reckon wood won't tour. If he sees Robshaw as a 7 I reckon he will take Wood too.

England played just about every match with a backrow that had players not playing in their prefered position and Scotland played Kelly Brown at 7 for the whole 6N too.

Certainly Robshaw and Brown will have chances to show their credentials in the Aviva and HC matches Wood isn't really getting that chance with the Saints.

If Glaws overtake them in the Aviva Wood will have to hope that his form for England will be enough to see off his competitors.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:You think? I'd be surprised if he toured.

What a plank!

Yahoo Yahoo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 pm

No-one should be guaranteed to start in any game.

If the selection decision is close that implies there's not much difference by picking either - so just pick one. Gatland will pick Warburton because that's who he trusts.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm

You've done me again Guby Doh

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:05 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:It depends on where Gatland sees Robshaw. If he sees Robshaw as a 6 I reckon wood won't tour. If he sees Robshaw as a 7 I reckon he will take Wood too.

England played just about every match with a backrow that had players not playing in their prefered position and Scotland played Kelly Brown at 7 for the whole 6N too.

Certainly Robshaw and Brown will have chances to show their credentials in the Aviva and HC matches Wood isn't really getting that chance with the Saints.

If Glaws overtake them in the Aviva Wood will have to hope that his form for England will be enough to see off his competitors.

So you think Wood is not nailed on then Radge - If he doesn't go I can see a lot of english fans forming a splinter group on here and campaigning for him to be included. I think they have already started a campaign for his inclusion and have their own web site. Perhaps you should log on and have a look thumbsup I think Wood and Twelvetrees would bring some much needed strength to the squad in general. Then again if Gatland can't see the Wood for the Trees we might be in trouble. Both these are good at recycling and would dovetail well IMO thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:You've done me again Guby Doh

Cheers Pooly, I'm after Radge now, hook and bait are out thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:10 pm

I dunno if he is nailed on or not. Someone was despairing on the blind side flanker poll thread that Ryan Jones only has a couple of votes. The competition for the backrow is crazy. Especially at 6. 7 IMO picks itself with Tipuric and or Warbs since the main competition isn't really stepping up.

Barclay was Immense against Munster at the weekend, and will have a chance to showcase his talents in the pro12 playoffs for Glasgow, but I can't think he'll be good enough to displace Warbs or Tipuric.

Tipuric has been simply outstanding and IMO is one of the "nailed on" test starters along with Adam Jones. The rest I reckon will be decided on the tour.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next