The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark Herzlich

+2
Derbyblue
AdZacO
6 posters

Go down

Mark Herzlich Empty Mark Herzlich

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 3:21 pm

Now as Derbyblue mentioned he has entered the UFL Draft. However this will not cover this as dont want to steal chat from his article. I really was hoping my team would take a shot at him in the 7th round, as I'm sure some fans of other teams where hoping. Considered top 10-15 talent going into last year, he got cancer, but came back and recovered. Although he is not back to his weight, speed and strength yet, he is so talented.

7th round picks usually don't even make teams, sometimes in practice squads and sometimes just go out the league. So would it not be worth a shot, and give him a year tjust getting to fitness and looking at game tape? Ofcourse it is a long shot that he recovers to the talent he had beore, but alot about his skill was mental, aswell as physical, so if he gets back to a decent level of fitness, for NFL standards, could he not make a decent special teams player at the minimum? what are peoples thoughts?

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Mark Herzlich Empty Re: Mark Herzlich

Post by Derbyblue Tue 03 May 2011, 4:12 pm

Surprised to see him go undrafted, NFL.com still had him rated at 4.1, and they said on his profile he shouldn't get past the first few rounds. It will be good to see if he can make a full recovery, after how well he has done so far in his recovery I have no idea why no team felt he would be worth a 7th round pick just down to the fact that if he manages to recover fully he would be seen as being a great pick, and with the dedication he seems to have to becoming a player in the NFL I would have no doubts that he will give it his best shot. No one expects 7th rounders to start straight away and turn into great players, and everyone knows the reason they are taken in the 7th round is they need time to develop as a player if they are to ever make it, so this could have been the same with Herzlich giving him a year or two helping him with his recovery.

Could he not have been taken in the Supplemental draft?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 4:25 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Surprised to see him go undrafted, NFL.com still had him rated at 4.1, and they said on his profile he shouldn't get past the first few rounds. It will be good to see if he can make a full recovery, after how well he has done so far in his recovery I have no idea why no team felt he would be worth a 7th round pick just down to the fact that if he manages to recover fully he would be seen as being a great pick, and with the dedication he seems to have to becoming a player in the NFL I would have no doubts that he will give it his best shot. No one expects 7th rounders to start straight away and turn into great players, and everyone knows the reason they are taken in the 7th round is they need time to develop as a player if they are to ever make it, so this could have been the same with Herzlich giving him a year or two helping him with his recovery.

Could he not have been taken in the Supplemental draft?

No if you entered the normal draft you are not elligable for the supplemental draft.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 4:29 pm

These days it is for people who get suspended for their senior year, and find out after deadline for draft, or who didnt get through to next year in uni due to bad grades, who also find out after exam.

However it used to be used by players who didnt want to go to teams who were drafting early, and other teams could trade to be number1 in suppliment for cheaper, having already told the prospect they were going to do it. This however got complained about so much, they changed the order of who picks in what order in the supplemental draft

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 03 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Ok thanks AdZacO, I haven't looked into the supplemental draft before just know it exists, and read about that happening with Kosar going to the Browns.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 4:53 pm

I only looked into it a few years ago when the skins drafted Jarmon in it.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 03 May 2011, 5:02 pm

I was shocked to see him go undrafted, the guy looked to have so much talent and there is probably no better place to get help with strength and conditioning than at an NFL team. Looking at the players selected, I find it amazing that not one team thought to give him a shot.

On a side note, we had Jeremy Beal going in the 1st round of our mock draft and I have just seen that he went in the 7th round in the real thing!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Tue 03 May 2011, 5:06 pm

There were some awful picks in that draft though.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Tue 03 May 2011, 6:23 pm

bambamwillis wrote:I
On a side note, we had Jeremy Beal going in the 1st round of our mock draft and I have just seen that he went in the 7th round in the real thing!

If you read my posts on page 9 of the mock draft thread you'll see why. Wink

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 04 May 2011, 4:36 pm

Have heard Mike Mayock saying before the draft, that even if Herzlich doesn't make a full recovery he is the sort of character you want in your dressing room. I feel this can be backed up by Joe Moglia, head coach of the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks who drafted Herzlich saying
You've got a guy like Herzlich who not only is a good football player, but he's had to go through so much stress (and come through it). That is the type of guy we want to have in our program.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 8:08 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Have heard Mike Mayock saying before the draft, that even if Herzlich doesn't make a full recovery he is the sort of character you want in your dressing room. I feel this can be backed up by Joe Moglia, head coach of the UFL's Omaha Nighthawks who drafted Herzlich saying
You've got a guy like Herzlich who not only is a good football player, but he's had to go through so much stress (and come through it). That is the type of guy we want to have in our program.

Heard very similar things, and was suprised he made it to 9th or 10th round un UFL draft. He must be in quite bad shape, but if anyone watch NFL Network then they said he will probably have a get out clause for when the NFL starts again.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by The Mangler US_UK Wed 04 May 2011, 8:12 pm

Chances are he would have been picked up as a free agent, but for the lock out.

The Mangler US_UK

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 04 May 2011, 8:15 pm

Yeah think they were implying he still would be, as he would be let out. Might be why he dropped so far in a draft of a far inferior league.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 04 May 2011, 8:26 pm

AdZacO wrote:Heard very similar things, and was suprised he made it to 9th or 10th round un UFL draft. He must be in quite bad shape, but if anyone watch NFL Network then they said he will probably have a get out clause for when the NFL starts again.
If he was demanding that clause then that could maybe explain why he dropped into their 10th round? Not many people will spend a high pick on some one who it's pretty much guaranteed will be leaving before the season is over, if they have other needs. I'm not sure he is necessarily in bad shape, but he's not in his best shape and any time playing football will be helping his fitness in preparation of a move to the NFL.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 10 May 2011, 6:22 pm

It would seem Herzlich hasn't signed his contract with the Omaha Nighthawks, and he is waiting to see how long the lock out stuff continues he seems to want a chance at being taken as a free agent before he commits to the UFL for the season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fc32b4/article/herzlich-will-hedge-his-bets-with-nfl-keep-ufl-option-open?module=HP_headlines

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 11 May 2011, 9:13 am

I'd love for my Bucs to take a shot at him. He's a great leader and we need help at LB.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Wed 11 May 2011, 1:23 pm

Enjoy another one of yor players being arrested prawn

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 11 May 2011, 2:17 pm

Does he have character issues? As far as I know, his problems arose from havnig cancer...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 11 May 2011, 2:37 pm

He is seen as one of the highest character guys in the draft, some were saying he would be picked up just because he was the kind of guy teams love to have in the locker room

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down