The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Been plucking up the courage to ask you ...

+11
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
JAS
kwinigolfer
mystiroakey
barragan
super_realist
puligny
McLaren
matelot golfer
gaelgowfer
15 posters

Go down

Been plucking up the courage to ask you ... Empty Been plucking up the courage to ask you ...

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

... if it's ok to say I recently enjoyed playing a Faldo designed course? Run

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Been plucking up the courage to ask you ... Empty Re: Been plucking up the courage to ask you ...

Post by matelot golfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

Yes, cornelia Faldo in Turkey is a good test with a varietty of tees to challenge all standards!

Last edited by matelot golfer on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Been plucking up the courage to ask you ... Empty Re: Been plucking up the courage to ask you ...

Post by matelot golfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Yes, Cornelia Faldo in Turkey is a good test with a variety of tess to challenge all standards!

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:16 pm

If it was the one in iceland he reckoned he was going to build then that would be a pretty cool trip.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:23 pm

Nothing wrong with Faldo designed courses. Is there?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Isn't it Nicklaus courses you aren't supposed to like?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:33 pm

isn't pro golfers retiring to design golf courses a bit like builders retiring to practice architecture. sure you get some ok features, but not skillfully considered design. i guess most of these golfer-come-designers are really guided by professional designers and are only involved so their name gives the project a little added gravitas.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:34 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:... if it's ok to say I recently enjoyed playing a Faldo designed course? Run

I am paying chart hills later this month..

But yes off course it is. The guy is a legend!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:37 pm

Myst - Chart Hills is excellent. Hope you get the weather for it. Oh and stay out of the bunkers - they are not there just to make the place look nice!!!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

Ta dude

Playing princes, st georges then chart hills.!!

Its gonna be nice- hope the weather gets sorted

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Thu 28 Mar 2013, 1:50 pm

Great trip. Enjoy

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:25 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Yes, cornelia Faldo in Turkey is a good test with a varietty of tees to challenge all standards!

Almost chose Turkey but plumped for Cyprus in the end. We played Elea which is near Paphos on the south-east of the island. Unfortunately, the photos on their website don't do the course any justice so youse lot will just have to take my word for it!

Cyprus is fairly new to the golf game and I think there are only 4 or 5 golf courses. However, we enjoyed playing Elea so much, we didn't bother playing anywhere else. For one thing, it's a course you can walk. Only rarely did we see a cart. We took electric buggies. We did consider playing Aphrodite Hills but carts only there with not even a 90% rule. Not my idea of a fun time.

Although we enjoyed the course very much, Faldo did stuff up at one hole ... the 17th. Definitely must have been in a bad mood when he designed what was probably meant to be the signature hole. Never did figure out how to play that one. Apparently we're not alone; it's due for a makeover!

Although this was an inland course, it played very much like a links course when we were there which is probably one of the reasons I took to it. Of course, this was probably because the grass was still dormant. Don't be fooled by the shortness of the short holes. Prevailing wind will sort out the men from the boys! There is some watery stuff involved but bail-out options to go with them and a dry stream which runs through part of the course.

Elea also provided top notch practice balls too, something which Aphrodite Hills couldn't claim! (we had a little nosey and a wee practice session).

People are very friendly and most of them speak english. They also drive on the left side of the road BUT are terrible drivers! Take note: there is no right of way in Cyprus! Shocked

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

i think If you have driven in more than 1 or 2 countries you will find that one out gael!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:i think If you have driven in more than 1 or 2 countries you will find that one out gael!!

I have but Cyprus is in a league of its own! Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:37 pm

that bad hey!

I drove once in the dominican..

Could it be worse!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm

oakey, how would I know, I've never driven in the Dominican Republic but I bet you my Greek Cypriot drivers would see them off! Wink

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:57 pm

Its not really driving as anyone from the west knows it tbh.. Its certainly an experience though. Kinda scarey mind..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

I was following a car once just north of Nicosia when we could see a narrow bridge ahead of us and a pick-up approaching the other side of that bridge.

You guessed it, no right of way and head-on collision followed by mayhem, right in the middle of the bridge.
Took them ages to remove the vehicles, and all the fruit they threw at each other.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 28 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

Well well well...who would have thought it...I'm in complete agreement with Gael. I loved Elea too and concede that the 17th is a complete bitch of a hole Wink

Definitely preferred Elea to Aphrodite Hills although the latter does have about 4 really really great holes.

Where did you stay Gael? My villa is in between those 2 courses.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 3:56 pm

kwini ... it just so happened we went on a jeep safari into the hills ... the day after the financial proverbials hit the financial fan. I think it's fair to say our driver wasn't a happy camper. Everytime we passed a cyclist, he'd roll down his window and shout "Bloody german!" Of course, all he wanted to talk about was what was happening to his country which was fine ... up to a point. Indeed, we were quite relieved when we stopped for lunch just to get a break from his ranting which up to that point we had tholed in true british fashion.

Lunch, however, was accompanied by generous helpings of alcoholic beverages RedWine which had the unfortunate effect of loosening the tongue of one of our erstwhile fellow sober, well-spoken and very polite passengers. She ... had reached her limit ... in more ways than one and when he started up again, this erstwhile sober, well-spoken and very polite passenger piped up in a not quite so sober and well-spoken voice ..."Look, we're on our holidays ... shut the 'uck up!"

Not a peep did we hear on the subject again. Result!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:05 pm

JAS wrote:Well well well...who would have thought it...I'm in complete agreement with Gael. I loved Elea too and concede that the 17th is a complete bitch of a hole Wink

Definitely preferred Elea to Aphrodite Hills although the latter does have about 4 really really great holes.

We stayed in the Amathus Hotel in Paphos. It was excellent.

One thing I really enjoyed about this region was (the absence of germans ) you never had to travel very far to get anywhere, including the golf courses and airport.

Are you a member there JAS?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:oakey, how would I know, I've never driven in the Dominican Republic but I bet you my Greek Cypriot drivers would see them off! Wink
Ha! I'll see your Greek Cyrpiot driving and raise you a Maltese driver...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

Gael

Don't beat around the bush, come right out with your xenophobia why don't you?

This is not the 70s and we're not part of a Fawlty Towers sketch.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:27 pm

I even mentioned the war once, but I think I got away with it...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 6:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Gael

Don't beat around the bush, come right out with your xenophobia why don't you?

This is not the 70s and we're not part of a Fawlty Towers sketch.

You have to make allowances navy, I'm still in greek/cypriot mode. It'll pass. Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 28 Mar 2013, 6:11 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:
JAS wrote:Well well well...who would have thought it...I'm in complete agreement with Gael. I loved Elea too and concede that the 17th is a complete bitch of a hole Wink

One thing I really enjoyed about this region was (the absence of germans ) you never had to travel very far to get anywhere, including the golf courses and airport.

No not a member Gael, my villa is on the Secret Valley resort. Probably the nicest setting of all the courses in the area but its been a bit neglected the past 3-4 years waiting on the 2nd course getting the go ahead (now started). When complete I'll have 4 courses within a 15 min drive and Minthis Hills a little bit further away.

Golf in Cyprus is still very much in its infancy, they still have much to learn about offering deals, I'd like to be able to offer my guests discounted green fees but the Cypriots just dont seem to understand the concept and/or the benefits, perhaps the current situation will open their commercial eyes wider.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 28 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

JAS wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:

No not a member Gael, my villa is on the Secret Valley resort. Probably the nicest setting of all the courses in the area but its been a bit neglected the past 3-4 years waiting on the 2nd course getting the go ahead (now started). When complete I'll have 4 courses within a 15 min drive and Minthis Hills a little bit further away.

Golf in Cyprus is still very much in its infancy, they still have much to learn about offering deals, I'd like to be able to offer my guests discounted green fees but the Cypriots just dont seem to understand the concept and/or the benefits, perhaps the current situation will open their commercial eyes wider.

I'm sure they'll catch on soon enough JAS. I was also very impressed by their work ethic. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Would definitely prefer to go back to Cyprus than to Spain or Portugal although I would like another tilt at Dona Filipa/San Lorenzo before I hang me clubs up.

We did hear that Secret Valley was being revamped. Next time hopefully. OK Think we passed Minthis Hills but only because 'we' went in the wrong direction! Rolling Eyes

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

gaelgowfer wrote:Of course, all he wanted to talk about was what was happening to his country which was fine ... up to a point. Indeed, we were quite relieved when we stopped for lunch just to get a break from his ranting

Now you know how we feel about your posts Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 28 Mar 2013, 9:32 pm

Secret valley =very nice JAS.Hope noone has any cash banked out there.
Been a couple of family hols out there and surprisingly good.Awful lot of barbers/hairdressers and as Gael mentioned all the young guys drive pimped up motors.Good golf/family destination.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

dynamark wrote:Secret valley =very nice JAS.Hope noone has any cash banked out there.
Been a couple of family hols out there and surprisingly good.Awful lot of barbers/hairdressers and as Gael mentioned all the young guys drive pimped up motors.Good golf/family destination.

Aye I know Dyna, I just picked the wrong time to buy and grossly over estimated the holiday rental market. I've got an opportunity of a long term let starting Oct/Nov time. Think I'm going to take it, it wont cover the mortgage but it'll be less of a shortfall and less hassle than trying to do holiday lets. Give it 5 years or so and I'll be back in a much happier place. Looking forward to the 2nd Secret Valley course opening, when that happens and the retail & restaurant strip & marina are put in place down the front the area should really take off.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:09 am

Jas wrote:Looking forward to the 2nd Secret Valley course opening, when that happens and the retail & restaurant strip & marina are put in place down the front the area should really take off.

You hope. It might just be a ghost town.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:19 am

One of the guys at work has a place in Pathos just next to the new main road through and he has had some financial issues.Golfing buddy has a sisiter who married into the family who operate the tourist boats out of Pathos she has no money worries big place up in secret valley.have so say one of the best evenings and meals as a family was in a little traditional place in the centre of town -meze lasted for hours really like the place would like to go back

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:oakey, how would I know, I've never driven in the Dominican Republic but I bet you my Greek Cypriot drivers would see them off! Wink
Ha! I'll see your Greek Cyrpiot driving and raise you a Maltese driver...

Greece Cyprus Malta etc all have bad driving but nothing in Europe compares to driving in India or central America.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

Davie wrote:
gaelgowfer wrote:Of course, all he wanted to talk about was what was happening to his country which was fine ... up to a point. Indeed, we were quite relieved when we stopped for lunch just to get a break from his ranting

Now you know how we feel about your posts Rolling Eyes

"We"?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Thu 04 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

matelot golfer wrote:Yes, cornelia Faldo in Turkey is a good test with a varietty of tees to challenge all standards!

I'm playing there next week - yeah Very Happy I have played it the last 2 years as well - great course(s)
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down