The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2013 MLB season discussion thread

+3
kwinigolfer
CFCNick
Luke
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The 2013 MLB season discussion thread Empty The 2013 MLB season discussion thread

Post by Luke Thu 28 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

The bands are warming up, people are getting ready, the players anxious as next tues(2nd) major League baseball returns with the start of the regular season.

And some of the questions will be answered like. How will the Yankees fair without half there team?(sorry Kiwi), What will Toronto be like with a new team, coach, kit, pretty much everything? and converseley how will the Marlins do after there salary dump? Will the White Soxs recover from blowing there division after leading it pretty much all season? Are the Orioles a 1 season wonder? Can the Red Soxs improve from the last couple of years. Are the Giants on the verge of becoming a dynasty(2 world series in 3 years is a good start)?

Below is an over all very loose look at the divisions.

The East divisions in both confrences look intresting. in the AL at this moment any one of the 5 teams could win it, all will be fairly confident as what looks the most intresting division starts. in the NL, last years winners the Nationals have strengthened there rotation without really losing anyone. But the Phillies and Braves have both strengthed with experince during the post season. These 3 you have to fancy will win it.
In the Central divisions, the AL again looks fascinating. Like i said above how will the White Soxs bear after last season, Will Detroit shake of there world series blues, these 2 you would think are favorites. But both Cleveland and Kansas have been on the quiet building decent squads and could be in the shake.
The NL again looks like its Cincinnati's to lose, espically given that the Cardinals have lost Chris Carpenter a truely great pitcher.
The West Divisions are really about one city - Los Angeles. In the NL, the Dodgers big signings over the last few seasons next to step up, espcally given there rivals San Francisco's dominence the last few years. Arizona could be the wild card in this division with a compitent squad ready to pounce should the other 2 slip up.
In the AL, Anaheim have once again aquired a big signing, one that strenghthens there batting no end. But strangly let go of 2 pitchers, so will there rotation be any good to back up there batting. Last seasons division winners the A's have lost a couple of big players for them, but continue to churn out promising youngsters and players overlooked by others. And could Seattle upset the apple cart.

All these and more will be answered in the next 6 months.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

The 2013 MLB season discussion thread Empty Re: The 2013 MLB season discussion thread

Post by CFCNick Thu 28 Mar 2013, 6:15 pm

I'm slightly more optimistic this year than year. Perhaps due to Miami's decline.
The 2013 MLB season discussion thread 9970_499061776822761_632996376_n

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

The 2013 MLB season discussion thread Empty Re: The 2013 MLB season discussion thread

Post by Luke Thu 28 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

MockingJay33 wrote:I'm slightly more optimistic this year than year. Perhaps due to Miami's decline.
The 2013 MLB season discussion thread 9970_499061776822761_632996376_n

I still think it will be between the 3 I mentioned, but I do feel the Mets could upset quite a few teams, in my opinion you look to be building a side for a few years time, and this season will be valuable time for the prospects you have signed to get game time with the pressure less (though is the pressure ever less with New York sports fans?).
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Fri 29 Mar 2013, 6:35 am

For sure there's pressure but I feel the Mets are similar to the Islanders. They're kind of the only NY teams allowed to suck.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all the young guys progress. Got a winnable first series against San Diego at home so it could be a confidence boosting start and then who knows the 2nd series is Miami at home. I know it's early but it could be a big week to get the young guys wins.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

Be nice, tiger.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:17 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Be nice, tiger.

Hey big spender.....oh wait you don't even have that now! Laugh Dodgers East.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:49 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Be nice, tiger.

Sorry Kiwi, what the Yankees are doing is giving everyone else in the division a sporting chance,et them get up and running, before coming back to take it, right?

Seriously, you did quite well in pre season, but April looks a bad month got you, Red Soxs first,Detroit Cleveland away, Toronto twice and of course the Orioles.
Think the fact that it should be a tight division will help the Yankees, as I don't think anyone will completely dominate it so when your players get back you should still be in the mix.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 03 Apr 2013, 1:37 am

So the season began yesterday, with some interesting scores (and yes I know it was only the 1st game.
The Red Soxs stuffed the injury plagued Yankees 8-2, The Nationals (2-0 v Marlins), White Soxs (1-0 v Kansas), Mariners ( 2-0 against the A's), all record shut outs. As do the Dodgers who impressively beat last year's world series winners the Giants 4-0. Arizona and the Mets both win big, while the Tigers show they've recovered from last year's world series no show with a solid win. There were impressive wins for Atlanta, Anaheim and Milwaukee as well.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:29 am

Big the big news is that the mighty Baltimore Orioles have. beaten the Tampa Bay Rays 7-4.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Apr 2013, 12:12 pm

And an almost perfecto whirled by Darvish yesterday . . . . .

Hate these one-game Yankee losing streaks - time to put that right this evening.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:56 pm

That's more like it, just listened to Minnesota's 8-2 win against Detroit allowing them to take the series, beer in hand relaxed-life's great sometimes.
Also did anyone know that today in 1974 is the day that Hank Aaron equalled Babe Ruth's home run record.
And that the Blue Jays merchandise sales is only behind the Yankees in all of baseball.

Also just a heads up-
Next week (wed at 7.30ish on 5 live), Colin Murray will be doing a show called a 100 year's of the Yankees (I could be wrong about the name but it's definitely about the Yankees).
And next Thursday at 6 on 5 live sports extra the game is the Tigers v the Blue Jays.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 2:30 pm

Enter Sandman!

My son was at The Stadium last night and watched Andy Pettitte and Mariano combine for a Major League record 69th win/save combo.
But no rest, for the wicked or not. Yanks teeing it up again in Detroit at 1.00 p.m. today.
Ridiculous scheduling. Selig should be fired.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

We are top of the league, say we are top of the league. It may only be because the second letter is a a, but who cares.
Washington looking dominate, Cubs starting well, Every side in the east division 2-1 for or against (could have every team with a plus .500 record).

Kiwi
I meant to ask you about the Wells deal and your thoughts?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

tiger,
Love the Wells deal - a no-lose situation for the Yanks; in his Toronto heyday, Wells was one of the best players in the League.
The Angels are picking up most of his salary and would think this was a deal Cashman couldn't refuse.
If Granderson can return to his 2011 form we'll have a pick-any-three-from-four Ichiro/Gardner/Wells/Granderson outfield.
I see Boesch is playing in Detroit right now though, Wells on the bench.
You guys get going in two hours . . . . . good luck . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:38 pm

That was my view of it, can't understand people saying it's a desperate move by the Yankees, as you say to me it's a win win deal.

See you're 3-6 down at the moment top of the 7th, we're 0-0.

Some really good games tonight, with the Cards at the Giants, Pirates at the Dodgers, Red Soxs at the Blue Jays. Cubs at the Braves & Washington at Cinncinati. Some fascinating games for the start of the season.
Red Soxs will be fairly happy with there fixture list facing to divisional rivals 1st up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:38 am

lets go mariners
heart king felix
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

Zack attack!

Oh boy, Kershaw, Ryu and Greinke in the one rotation.....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 07 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Mets win! Mets win! Mets win!

What a great end to the game.

CFCNick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

The earth is back on its axis as the NYY return to "500" for the season. Two great starts from Pettitte, one terrific effort from CC and adequate from Kuroda. And the hitting is exceeding expectations.
Now to get Nova and Hughes on track and sort out our long relief.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:42 pm

Great Jackie Robinson karma at the Stadium last night, especially with everyone wearing #42:
Yankees won 4-2
Robinson Cano (named for Jackie) homered.
The last #42 in baseball, Mariano, got the save.

And the Yanks moved to 7-5; son going to tonight's game, so expecting lots of in-game photos . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:12 pm

After all that hype Jays have started badly. Starting pitchers have started to improve but batting is poor. Same old faults of swinging and missing, often with pitches way outside the zone.

Hoping that will all be behind them tomorrow when Yankees come to town. A Jays sweep would be sweet. boxing

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Thu 18 Apr 2013, 1:33 pm

dear mariners

stop sucking

sincerley

everybody
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 19 Apr 2013, 5:07 am

Great win tonight puts at 8-7, not a bad start.

Cherries, Someone on the Mariners must have read your message, 2-0 win.

Teassoc, strange that both you and the Angels (who acquired big) are both struggling.

And I don't want to brag, but I did say on another thread that I thought this year would be the year of the Braves, how good do they look at the moment.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 27 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

Reports of Yankees' demise somewhat premature - would think management would be quite happy with progress so far.
All acquisitions have done well except Francisco and Cano and Rivera have been quite magnificent. Gardner, Hughes, Joba and Robertson have done their parts and catching has been a real bright spot.

ARod can stay away, Jeter can have some time to get properly fit, Granderson too, and Teixera can bring his peerless glove to the action any time he wants.

So far, so good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 02 May 2013, 3:50 am

Can't really complain about the O's start. 16-11 (depending on tonight's result which were currently 0-2 down in).

Trouble is the Yankees are looking good without half there starters, and the Red Soxs have started like a house on fire.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 02 May 2013, 12:51 pm

O's in good shape tiger,
Some smoke and mirrors, plus Rivera going 11/11, at Yankee Stadium in the early going; and we know the Red Sox won't last. Don't we?

Surprise so far is Toronto getting off to such a lousy start, not to mention 2 x LA.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 02 May 2013, 4:34 pm

Not complaining Kiwi, could do with some more runs (though Davis is in good form), pitchings okay with out looking spectacular, but were going along okay at the moment.

Yankees are looking good, i think retaining most of there pitchers was always going to be a plus, and it shows.
Hope the Red Soxs blow up soonish, because the longer they keep up there spirit will carry them (like us last year).

I'm actually not suprised by the Blue Jays, i always thought that it was going to be next year, as for the Angels, really don't know what to make of them, with that batting line up and that division they really should be miles ahead.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 07 May 2013, 1:57 pm

Still going along well, with both US and the Yankees 2.0 games behind the Red Soxs.

Toronto are 9.5 games, which to be honest is big as I really did expect the division to be alot closer at this point.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 14 May 2013, 10:25 am

Dock Ellis, a pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1970s, threw a no-hitter while under the influence of LSD. At certain points during the game, Ellis said he couldn't see the batter or the catcher, and as a result, relied on the baseball to tell him where to throw it.

cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 15 May 2013, 5:39 pm

cherries,
I used to watch Dock Ellis pitch for the Texas Rangers in the very early 80's.
He boasted that he never pitched without being under the influence of one drug or another.
Died of liver disease at 63, served him right.

What about those Yankees then? Can't believe it meself, but two games up on the Birds, three up on the Sawx.
Tampa and Toronto looking much better recently though, but the Grandy Man is back as of yesterday and can Teixera be that far behind?
Said a few weeks ago that it was smoke, mirrors and Mariano - too early to change that assessment.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Thu 16 May 2013, 11:35 am

and down go the yankees, boom!, iwakuma is a monster
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 May 2013, 12:21 pm

That's OK cherries, still two games up and Andy Pettitte to give it a twirl this evening - from a fellow "Between Bournemough and Hayling" poster.

This (Yankees good form) may not last but we're getting healthier and Pineda could be ready soon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 May 2013, 12:05 pm

Poor loss by the Skanks last night in more ways than two.
Out-hit the Mariners, left too many men on base, lost Pettitte to a back injury, and Stewart to a groin tweak.

Age catching up on this lot, but hopefully Hafner will be back in the mix tonight. (He can't pitch or catch though.) Need to win this series vs the BJ's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Fri 17 May 2013, 1:25 pm

woooooo!

2nd in the ALWest

this is unbelivable lol
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 21 May 2013, 11:19 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

we suck again Laugh
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 21 May 2013, 1:45 pm

Fantastic, we out hit the Yankees 13 to 9. And still lose 6-4, not looking good with Tampa joining us on 5 games behind,2 more games against the Yankees could be dropping to 4th.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Tue 21 May 2013, 1:51 pm

Yankees on a roll right now. Would have been nice for the Jays to have got a win there but at least the rain came to their rescue in the end to prevent yet another sweep.

Went to see the Jays vs Giants last week. Great game as a Jays fan, of course but AL East teams are another matter.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 May 2013, 3:21 pm

tiger, Johnson didn't look very good last night; Yanks a touch lucky to get away with the win though. Bullpen looking magnifique right now.
Hoping to catch your Orioles at The Stadium at the end of August . . . . .

tea,
Whereabouts are you? Toronto a pretty good place to watch baseball in our experience - just a shade too far from here though, used to get to the Expos half a dozen times a season.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Tue 21 May 2013, 4:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:tiger, Johnson didn't look very good last night; Yanks a touch lucky to get away with the win though. Bullpen looking magnifique right now.
Hoping to catch your Orioles at The Stadium at the end of August . . . . .

tea,
Whereabouts are you? Toronto a pretty good place to watch baseball in our experience - just a shade too far from here though, used to get to the Expos half a dozen times a season.

Was visiting family. I love the Skydome. I can walk there from my hotel (just).

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 21 May 2013, 4:39 pm

Good for you, great walking city. Last time we went we took in two games, end of a Red Sox series, start of a Yankees series. Perfect short trip!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 22 May 2013, 4:07 am

Get in there, after again out hitting the Yankees, we finally get the win 3-2, so ending a 6 game losing streak. Though Tampa won as well of course.

Tea,
We play you next in a 4 game series starting Thurs, should be a good one especially if we can beat the Yankees again tonight.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Wed 22 May 2013, 10:21 am

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=421685#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2013&level='ALL'

get this guys as far away from our team as possible , embarising
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 23 May 2013, 3:42 am

And we win the series 2-1, after a 6-3 win. And thanks to Toronto beating Tampa move a game ahead now only 3 behind the Yankees.

Kiwi,
I'm putting a post up on Mockingjays mls thread about the tie up with regards a new mls team. Between the Yankees and Manchester City. Just wondered on your thoughts.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 24 May 2013, 2:18 am

tiger,
Biggest surprise about that to me was that it is the Blue side of Manchester getting involved with the Yankees, when they have (or at least used to have) some commercial adventures with Man Utd.

A bit of a puzzle.

But not a bad idea - by and large players migrating from the MLS to the Prem have done very well; usually solid citizens with a top class work ethic who don't spend half their time posing or trying to get transferred.
No superstars yet, but Harkes and Keller, Friedel and Howard, Dempsey and McBride, Holden and even Donavon have all done well. Now Guzan is as good a keeper as almost anyone.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Fri 24 May 2013, 11:34 pm

tigerrobins wrote:Get in there, after again out hitting the Yankees, we finally get the win 3-2, so ending a 6 game losing streak. Though Tampa won as well of course.

Tea,
We play you next in a 4 game series starting Thurs, should be a good one especially if we can beat the Yankees again tonight.

I watched most of the game on MLB TV. Great result if you are a Jays fan like me, but if you were an Orioles fan it must have been awful seeing the bullpen hand out so many walks.

Not sure about that McLouth catch but I feel you have to trust these guys honesty. Not as though it was the world series - just a flyball that was in foul territory. Local TV reporter witnessing the event from above that position in the stands said he thought he'd dropped it but I guess Orioles TV had the opposite opinion. boxing

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 25 May 2013, 1:37 am

Looks like Orioles will get their revenge tonight. Nolin didn't last 2 innings. Ortiz coming in not much better.

As if that wasn't bad enough Jays get a very poor umpire behind the plate (at least based on MLB TV graphics). Both Arencibia and Lawrie struck out in the third innings on pretty poor strike calls with runners on 1st and 3rd base, with one out.

Lawrie and Gibbons both ejected!

I can't watch anymore. I hate other games when the umpires/referees have too much influence on the game, and baseball is no different. At least in last night's game balls and strikes seemed to be called pretty well. Orioles bullpen could not find the strike zone.

Grrrrr. furious

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 25 May 2013, 1:48 am

That's sort have been our trouble this year, the pitchers and ballpen haven't been doing the business compared to last.

Mind you getting our own back tonight, mid 4th and the mighty O's are 9-3 up.

Agree with you Kiwi, always thought if there was going to be a tie up like thar would have expected it to have been with the red half of Manchester (that really would have been a superbrand). Slightly surprised that there looking at Queens for the Ground.
What happened to the land of the house that Babe built, has it been redeveloped yet? That would be ideal for a 20000 football stadium.

Agree Tea, to many games I've listened to are being ruined by umpires changing the plate during innings, really need some consistently.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 25 May 2013, 4:58 am

Curtis Granderson hbp, out for a month.
Good start by Phelps though, starting to look very good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 26 May 2013, 2:07 pm

How tight is the NL west at this moment. 3 teams level at the top, and the Dodgers who are last only 6 games back.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 31 May 2013, 2:31 am

Chicago Cubs starting pitcher Travis Wood hit a grand slam at the bottom of the 4th as the Cubies beat the White Soxs 8-3.
Meanwhile the Orilles are currently 2-0 up on the Nationals at the top if the 9th.

Kiwi,
Looks like thr Mets arr going to beat your lot for the 3rd time this week, is thid just a blip or can I start to really believe that wr might catch you?
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next