The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys - What do we expect from next season?

+10
ospreylian
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
Scarpia
MonkeyOwain12
Schrodinger's Cat
ML
maestegmafia
mckay1402
TalkGonzo
14 posters

Go down

Ospreys - What do we expect from next season? Empty Ospreys - What do we expect from next season?

Post by TalkGonzo Tue 03 May 2011, 8:59 pm

With some pretty big squad changes next season the ospreys appear to be constructing some different tactics in order to achieve their ambitions. What do you expect from the ospreys next season, for individuals and collectively as a team? I'm particularly excited to see Rhys Webb as he has only recently had a string of first teams games under his belt. With some experience I think he could prove to be an excellent player. For the ospreys as a whole, I will again be disappointed if they dont reach at least the semis of the heineken cup!

TalkGonzo

Back to top Go down

Ospreys - What do we expect from next season? Empty Re: Ospreys - What do we expect from next season?

Post by mckay1402 Wed 04 May 2011, 8:56 am

It's good that the Ospreys are shedding a load of players. I'd like to see them getting back to basics and trying to engender a club atmosphere to engage with the locals. On the pitch they have the players to become a very attack oriented organisation.

With a powerful pack and the massively creative backs we should expect the same as we expect every season. That they will compete with the best teams and make a good run in Europe but as usual we will more than likely be disappointed and I expect all four regions to be much closer next season.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Ospreys - What do we expect from next season? Empty Re: Ospreys - What do we expect from next season?

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 9:15 am

I think that for O's fans for next season it might be better for them to lower their expectations slightly. I mean, after all of the players that are leaving, you guys really are building a young squad for the future now, or at least that's what it looks like. You can't expect them to be challanging at the top end of Europe right away! I reckon they'll need a couple of seasons together before that.

If I were an O's fan, I would expect a very good showing in the group stages and hope for a QF place. Anything more imo would be a very good added bonus thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 May 2011, 6:10 pm

I dont think any of us have had massive expectations of the Ospreys, no matter what the media say about them.

I think next season will be great, some of the youngsters are very talented, and will surprise a few pundits I m sure.

Even the old skool second stringers like duncan jones, cai griffiths ian evans and so on are playing good rugby when they get their chances.

lifting the weight of expectation off the payers shoulders could well give them a new lease of life.

by the way I am an extreme optimist so take that into account before you reply.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Wed 04 May 2011, 6:45 pm

I'm an Os fan, and will continue to be, but I am not expecting much next year. Sure, some of the youngsters are phenomenally promising, but I think the problems we have now are still there. The coaching set up.

The triumvirate at the top of the coaching set up haven't got the respect of the players. Funny that this mirrors exactly what happened when Johnson was involved with the national team.

It can be no coinceidence that SO many of the big names are quitting the club and have played like they apparently dont give a damn.

Ho-Hum seem to send out a team with little clue as to what to do, and we rely on the innate talents of the individuals to win matches rather than a game plan.

Get rid of the three coaches should be Hoare's next step.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 7:25 pm

Maesteg - I'm an extreme optimist when it comes to my Scarlets so trust me I know exactly where you're coming from!

With the older heads like Adam and Dunca Jones floating about, and the good crop of youngsters you've got coming through, the future does look bright at the O's I have to say. You've got a pack that as a Scarlet I am very envious of!

Mlavington raises a good point about the coaching staff though. There really is something not right there, but I can't put my finger on what. It could just be coincidence that so many big names are leaving at the same time but I'm not sure it is.

If I were an O's fan I would trust in your youngsters coming through. They showed during the 6 Nations period what they are capable of and it all looked good to me!

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 May 2011, 11:50 pm

I dont know, I think coaches influences are often overrated. I had breakfast with Mike Ruddock once in a cafe in mumbles, when he was at Leinster I think, we got chatting about rugby, as he had only recently become a coach at that point.

He said his ethos was to ask the players at the beginning of the season how they wanted to play the game. He then coached them the best he could to help them play the way they wanted to.

I guess it is different for every coach and every group of players.

but I think intrinsically it comes down to the players getting out there and doing it. The coaches don't take the field, well some do as player coaches, but the players have a responsibility to be smart out there.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Schrodinger's Cat Thu 05 May 2011, 11:51 am

I don't think that Ospreys can expect too much from next season. It will take a bit of time for the young players to get the experience required to win tight games and to compete against the stronger teams. Having said that, they could come out all guns blazing and beat everyone in front to them. I expect they will be very competitive in a couple of years time.

Schrodinger's Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyOwain12 Thu 05 May 2011, 9:58 pm

I think we can expect a little unexpected!!

We will (and should) use a lot more of our younger squad members next year. Hopefully this will be coupled with a new rugby philosophy, a brand of rugby that will inspire our very talented players to want to give it all.

I think that we have some fantastic potential, just look at how the Dragons have played recently, with the use of local young talent and a rugby playing mindset.

I'd happily see a trophyless season with no knockout rugby to see a team inspire its supporters as the Dragons have.

MonkeyOwain12

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu 19 May 2011, 12:43 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
If I were an O's fan, I would expect a very good showing in the group stages and hope for a QF place.

Is that attitude what's causing the very conservative approach I wonder? Desperate to get to HC QF by whatever means? As one of the older generation of rugby followers, while supporting a successful team is very enjoyable and fulfilling, the one I want when I go to a game is to come away feeling I have really enjoyed the match. The stuff we've endured from the Ospreys for a large part of this season has been dire. Extremely boring. Johnson has been crowing about us having more bonus points than any other region but how many of those were losing bonus points? A good defence is important but I want to see more. I want to see a whole new approach - with far more emphasis on attack and using space. We have the players to do this (even when our 'stars' have gone) as was proved fleetingly during the 6 nations and the last 5 minutes against Munster. I want us to stop kicking away priceless possession. I want us looking for space not contact. I don't mean I want us to run the ball recklessly from everywhere but I want to see far more flow in our game. We have the players. Do we have the coaches though?

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 19 May 2011, 12:49 pm

A continuing development of young squad members and the development of a team sprit would be nice for you. However, you need a tall shouty physically imposing coach that the players look up to, not their best mate, a plonker and a mild mannered cerebral type. 2 of those are fine as part of a team of course as long as one of the coaches is top dog in the changing room.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 May 2011, 1:03 pm

Scarpia - I think it's been the opposite this season. It wasn't about qualifying for the HC QF by whatever means, it was that when they took to the pitch against some teams it was as though they thought they'd won already (not saying they did but that's how it appeared). The away game against London Irish being the perfect example.

I just think with a younger squad coming through, the O's shouldn't expect to be challenging in the later stages of the HC straight away. You've got to give the new squad a couple of seasons to really gel together. Give yourself a great showing in the pool stages first year, and if you get through, yes I think that's a bonus. 2nd year together should be when you are looking at the knock out stages imo.

I agree with you on how the O's have played this season. I can't fathom why they kick the ball so much and don't look for the offload more. They've got the players to do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 19 May 2011, 1:10 pm

TalkGonzo, no offence, but if the Ospreys haven't been able to get to the Heneken Cup semi finals so far, what makes you think they will be able to next season after they've released three British Lions and at least one former All Black?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu 19 May 2011, 3:34 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:TalkGonzo, no offence, but if the Ospreys haven't been able to get to the Heneken Cup semi finals so far, what makes you think they will be able to next season after they've released three British Lions and at least one former All Black?

At least two ex-all Blacks, three if counting the Legend.

Holley is staying, along with hump, Johnson and hore, but if honesty is rife, can any real fan say that the O's preformed when the so-called Galactico's were in the team? Me and my friend Dereck travelled up to Reading for what was the most embarrassing rugby moment of my life, all I can say is if that's the best that all blacks and lions can do, then give me Ospreys any day.

I dont expect anything next season, I would have hoped for a Heineken semi but now I'll settle for a good Magners, 5th will do and a decent group showing. If we win more than 2 in the group I'll be happy.

What will make me happiest is to see the boys play with strength, verve, flair and imagination................that'll do. Very Happy

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Fri 20 May 2011, 12:27 pm

I agree with you totally, Ospreylian. Get the teamwork and ethics right and the results will follow. Maybe not immediately but I feel we need a long term strategy now. Our goals have been short term - almost crisis-management recently.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Wed 25 May 2011, 12:14 am

crisis management - you got that right. Sadly this is going to be a vicious circle I'm afraid, they will bring players on, they get picked for Wales etc etc . There doesn't seem to be any team spirit there, other clubs especially Dragons bust a gut for each other, Ospreys players are more concerned about how their own performance looks, and until this stops the Ospreys will continue to be also rans.

You only have to look at the performance by Leinster last week end to see what I am talking about, what fire, what passion!

paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 25 May 2011, 6:41 am

Be interesting to see how it goes now the 'undropables' have gone. Hopefully SJ & co will get the team playing with a lot more freedom and expressing themselves. Keeping the ball alive instead of the needless booting downfield. Get Morgan,Dirksen,Beck playing more games. As already said, a team spirit and a discipline code is a must. It appears the coaching staff are here to stay so they all need to work together and have a good working relationship if the team can have any success next year.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by paddy Thu 26 May 2011, 2:37 am

I just hope that they develop a 'play for each other' attitude which as previously posted has been sadly lacking up to now. Just as important, recognise what fantastic loyal fans they have and play the sort of rugby that their fans want to see, hopefully this will bring the people back.

And please please don't insult our intelligence with the same old excuse if they lose matches.... "we're a young side...." I just wish the coaches down there had the same honesty of Dai Young who is never anything but honest in talking about his team's performance, good bad or indifferent.

paddy

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Thu 26 May 2011, 11:53 am

Rory Pitman is to be loaned to Glasgow Warriors for six months.
Some might say that he should have gone to a Welsh region
, but the story behind this is that the lad has some issues ,and the hope is that removing him from his comfort zone they will vanish.
Matthew morgan is another who needs to recognise that the world owes him nothing and only application and hard work will get him to where he believes he belongs.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 27 May 2011, 9:35 pm

One of the biggest problems at the Ospreys is the "player power" factor. There is clearly division between some of the senior players and the coaches and something had to give. Cuddy has clearly backed the coaches on this occasion and has kicked out a minority of players who think their bigger than the Ospreys. When the Ospreys put their reserve side out they nearly always won, when the Ospreys selected their senior players they lost.
I'm very happy with the personel changes. Though I do have the opinion that if we start next season badly, that HoHum (Holley / Humphreys) will be sacked when Steve Hansens New Zealand contract expires after the world Cup, and he will come in as Head Coach.
It makes a lot of sense, Andrew Hore likes him, Scott Johnson likes him too. Hansen also has made it clear he wants to "broaden his coaching horizons" and it's also clear the NZRFU dont see him as anything more than a backup coach, hence why they rejected his application to take over the Crusaders when Deans went to Australia.
Secondly Hansen laid the groundwork for Wales two grand slams by education a group of young players correctly and setting their careers up. Funnily enough after the 2005 Grand slam many of those players lost their way and drifted to obscurity after Hansen went, Robert Sidoli, Michael Owens, Ceri Sweeney, etc.
The Ospreys will have a young squad next season and they will desperately need a head master type of coach to keep them on the stright and narrow, Hansen is the man to do that job.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat 28 May 2011, 12:32 pm

AlynDavies wrote:One of the biggest problems at the Ospreys is the "player power" factor. There is clearly division between some of the senior players and the coaches and something had to give. Cuddy has clearly backed the coaches on this occasion and has kicked out a minority of players who think their bigger than the Ospreys. When the Ospreys put their reserve side out they nearly always won, when the Ospreys selected their senior players they lost.
I'm very happy with the personel changes. Though I do have the opinion that if we start next season badly, that HoHum (Holley / Humphreys) will be sacked when Steve Hansens New Zealand contract expires after the world Cup, and he will come in as Head Coach.
It makes a lot of sense, Andrew Hore likes him, Scott Johnson likes him too. Hansen also has made it clear he wants to "broaden his coaching horizons" and it's also clear the NZRFU dont see him as anything more than a backup coach, hence why they rejected his application to take over the Crusaders when Deans went to Australia.
Secondly Hansen laid the groundwork for Wales two grand slams by education a group of young players correctly and setting their careers up. Funnily enough after the 2005 Grand slam many of those players lost their way and drifted to obscurity after Hansen went, Robert Sidoli, Michael Owens, Ceri Sweeney, etc.
The Ospreys will have a young squad next season and they will desperately need a head master type of coach to keep them on the stright and narrow, Hansen is the man to do that job.

Alyn ..........totally agree especially about the Hansen factor, it's WHY the Ospreys have MADE room for him.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 28 May 2011, 7:29 pm

ospreylian wrote:Alyn ..........totally agree especially about the Hansen factor, it's WHY the Ospreys have MADE room for him.

Yes I think so too, Johnson is a renowned skills / backs coach. Hansen is a forwards coach. Hore was employed at fitness coach in that set up.
I wouldn't be suprised if Ho-Hum are pushed into a role with the academy.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 28 May 2011, 9:01 pm

Sorry to rain on your parade fellas, but Steve Hansen's got his eye on a different job next year http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10728725

With Robbie Deans already signed up until 2015, and Henry and Wayne Smith opting out Hansen is favourite for the top job, even if only by default.

Todd Blackadder and Jamie Joseph aren't ready, Pat Lam ditto, and arguably has underachieved slightly at the Blues. Ian Foster's Chiefs record is mediocre, while Mark Hammett has had a disastrous first year at the Canes. John Mitchell is still persona non grata, while John Plumtree would have needed to come home this year to be considered.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 28 May 2011, 9:10 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Sorry to rain on your parade fellas, but Steve Hansen's got his eye on a different job next year http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10728725

With Robbie Deans already signed up until 2015, and Henry and Wayne Smith opting out Hansen is favourite for the top job, even if only by default.

Todd Blackadder and Jamie Joseph aren't ready, Pat Lam ditto, and arguably has underachieved slightly at the Blues. Ian Foster's Chiefs record is mediocre, while Mark Hammett has had a disastrous first year at the Canes. John Mitchell is still persona non grata, while John Plumtree would have needed to come home this year to be considered.

I really don't think they will give the New Zealand job to Hansen. Surely the NZRFU will want a totally fresh start after the tournament, especially if they dont win it.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 28 May 2011, 9:21 pm

AlynDavies wrote:

I really don't think they will give the New Zealand job to Hansen. Surely the NZRFU will want a totally fresh start after the tournament, especially if they dont win it.

Sadly, it'd take a disastrous RWC for Hansen to lose out. If NZ goes out to Aussie or SA he'd get through - just with less of a mandate from the public, meaning not winning the 4N in 2012 or 13 would see knives sharpening. The only other option would be if Deans got sacked (ie the RWC final was a repeat of 07) by Australia and was able to step in.

Personally I'm not a fan of Hansen, but unfortunately the next tier of NZ coaches haven't timed their runs to be ready to take over in 2012
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down