The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season?

+12
Cymroglan
Morgannwg
flyhalffactory
red_stag
slartibartfast
Draigoch
BigTrevsbigmac
doctor_grey
SubsBench
Turkster
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What can we expect from the Scarlets...?

How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_lcap12%How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_lcap15%How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_lcap9%How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 3 ]
How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_lcap24%How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 8 ]
How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_lcap40%How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 34

Poll closed

How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Empty How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season?

Post by maestegmafia Sun 13 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

Stuart Barnes said the other day that he thought Nigel Davies might be the most underrated coach in the British Isles. He is doing a good job of coaching exciting rugby into a home grown squad now brimming with recognised international talent. Rhys Priestland, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams and George North have all made big names for themselves in the RWC 2011.

As well as them Scarlets have young tyro Scrum Half Knoyle who has previously shown exceptional talent, now slightly off form but sure to regain it soon. Young Adam Warren the 20 year old inside center who I think has scored every game he has started this year from inside center, Liam Williams looking like JPR Williams illegitimate grandson at fullback yesterday. Jordan and Rhodri Williams are very healthy prospects for the future halfbacks.

The pack are not to be messed with either this year, a good squad of front rowers, Iestyn, Rhys, Rees, Gardiner, Rhodri Jones, and Ken Owens.

Three second rows really proving their worth in Lou Reed, Dominic Day and Damien Welch, great lineout work yesterday, good carrying in the loose.

Back row seems to be firing with Ben Morgan, Rob McCusker, Josh Turnbull as first choices but with the excellent Aaron Shingler and experienced regional players like Richie Pugh and Jonathan Edwards as back up and a young man called Kieran Murphy who looks pretty useful too.

All looks very positive for the Scarlets, a tough group in the HEC but a winning start. The Celtic League seems to get tougher every year but they have had a decent enough start while missing some big names.

Edit by RD - a none of the above option added

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Empty Re: How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season?

Post by LondonTiger Sun 13 Nov 2011, 1:52 pm

I cannot vote, as while I think they are developing nicely I do not believe they will win any competition.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season? Empty Re: How much can we expect from the Scarlets this season?

Post by Turkster Sun 13 Nov 2011, 2:02 pm

we're not going to win anything with our current front 5, seeing us getting smashed in the tight yesterday just brings home how small our pack is, Timani is a step forward for us, Welch is brilliant, but only 16 stone. Rhys Thomas just isn't a good enough tight-head. While our backs are amazing, without a bigger front 5 we'll always be also-rans. I hate to think what the Northampton pack's going to do to us on Friday.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun 13 Nov 2011, 3:24 pm

Turkster wrote:we're not going to win anything with our current front 5, seeing us getting smashed in the tight yesterday just brings home how small our pack is, Timani is a step forward for us, Welch is brilliant, but only 16 stone. Rhys Thomas just isn't a good enough tight-head. While our backs are amazing, without a bigger front 5 we'll always be also-rans. I hate to think what the Northampton pack's going to do to us on Friday.

Agree 100%.

The backs can be lethal but we havent got the platform in the front 5. We arent far off. A rock of a TH and a big enforcer 2nd row and we would be strong up front and be able to supply tidy ball to our backs an not be bullied upfront.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:39 am

Topping their pool after the first rounds and with a four try bonus point from franklins gardens things look good for the Scarlets...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

Turkster wrote:we're not going to win anything with our current front 5, seeing us getting smashed in the tight yesterday just brings home how small our pack is, Timani is a step forward for us, Welch is brilliant, but only 16 stone. Rhys Thomas just isn't a good enough tight-head. While our backs are amazing, without a bigger front 5 we'll always be also-rans. I hate to think what the Northampton pack's going to do to us on Friday.

wow, glad to admit I got that spectacularly wrong. Yahoo

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:21 am

I think we all are.

I thought Rhys Thomas was man of the match, well if it wasn't for the ice cool talents of Rhys Priestland.

Welch and Tiniani looked very solid, as did the front row and back row.

StI'll have four more tough games ahead though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:28 am

Didn't vote for them to win anything this season. But they are certainly a team on the up. I am very happy about that since I played a lot of my early rugby in the unpronounceable Llanelli. Loved every minute of it.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:29 am

I'm not going to vote as I'm not 100% confident we are ready to win anything this season. (although obviously I do have lovely dreams about us lifting the HEC cup!)

I'll be really happy to get out the group in the HEC, finish in the play off's of the Pro12 (it isn't the celtic league btw) and for us to go far in the LV. As long as we improve on last season I'll be really happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:39 am

rugbydreamer wrote:(although obviously I do have lovely dreams about us lifting the HEC cup!)
As long as we improve on last season I'll be really happy.
I suppose thats what makes you the Rugby "Dreamer"........

Wish you (and them Scarlets) the best of luck. I'll be pulling for you too.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 11:44 am

ha, am sure we all have dreams of our team winning the HEC!

Diolch/thanks dr grey.

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:06 pm

Croeso!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Arrogance by the sound of it!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

eh, Arrogance from who? Headscratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Arrogance by the sound of it!
Explain?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011, 3:53 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Explain?

The poll makes the assumption they will definitely win a cup

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Draigoch Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:05 pm

Maybe it does, but the comments -even from their supporters- sure as hell don't

Draigoch

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:20 pm

The only way Scarlets will win anything is if they keep up the pace in the back line.

However well the pack played against Saints - they were let off a bit by both ref and poor saints play.

Scarlets backs are starting to look like the llanelli of old when Nige used to play himself. Just had a knack of scoring tries however good or bad the pack played.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:22 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Explain?

Some people obviously do think they will win something.

That is not arrogant, it's opinion. Likewise some people do not think that Scarlets will win anything have stated above.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Explain?

That is not arrogant, it's opinion. Likewise some people do not think that Scarlets will win anything have stated above.

Perhaps the poll should have included none of the above then!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Explain?

Perhaps the poll should have included none of the above then!

er... no - just don't vote if you don't think it'll be one of the four...? why would you want to know "none of the above"?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

or you could just comment like others, including Scarlets fans such as myself, why you wouldn't pick any of the options?

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:35 pm

If you want to know whether people think you will win anything you have to give "Nothing" as an option. Otherwise most people just ignore the thread.

Of course the real answer is all the above - as despite not being in the Amlin, ERC will award them the trophy anyway way in recognition of Scarlets awesome season.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:38 pm

Scarlets must make winning the HEC their aim. They have 4 games left:

- Munster HOME
- Munster AWAY
- Northampton HOME
- Castres AWAY

A minimum 3/4 wins should be the aim there.

Despite the quality of teams the Heineken Cup isn't actually that hard a tournament to win if you get out of the pool stages.

I said going into this that Saints didn't worry me - they got an easy pool and home comforts in the knockouts last year. If Scarlets get a home quarter anything is possible.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:If you want to know whether people think you will win anything you have to give "Nothing" as an option. Otherwise most people just ignore the thread.

Of course the real answer is all the above - as despite not being in the Amlin, ERC will award them the trophy anyway way in recognition of Scarlets awesome season.

+1

Quite it's not that difficult is it?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:45 pm

Perhaps, having a none of the above option can be nice, but then it's not that difficult to comment that you don't think it'll be none of the above either Rolling Eyes

And then go on to lable it as arrogant, without reading any of the comments made by actual Scarlet fans. Think that deserves an even bigger Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:47 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Perhaps, having a none of the above option can be nice, but then it's not that difficult to comment that you don't think it'll be none of the above either Rolling Eyes

And then go on to lable it as arrogant, without reading any of the comments made by actual Scarlet fans. Think that deserves an even bigger Rolling Eyes

Well your clearly biased and my beef is not with you it's the OP & I'm entitled to my opinion to.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:49 pm

yeah never said you weren't, just don't see how when Scarlets fans have all said we don't think we'll win anything, you can still see it as arrogant. Just find that a bit baffling mate to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:Perhaps, having a none of the above option can be nice, but then it's not that difficult to comment that you don't think it'll be none of the above either Rolling Eyes

Well your clearly biased and my beef is not with you it's the OP & I'm entitled to my opinion to.

then why accuse the Scarlets fans of arrogance?

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 20 Nov 2011, 4:55 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

Why do you have "beef" with me, what on earth have I done?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 20 Nov 2011, 6:44 pm

Beef mmmmmmmmmmmm Roast spuds, gravy mmmmmmmmm
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:04 pm

I'll go as far as saying that if you were to have the two Northapmton props Tonga'uiha and Mujati, or another two dominant props, them you'd be one of the top teams in Europe and one of the favourites for the HC. If you can score the tries in the style that you do, and in the quantity that you do, with a lack of a decent platform for large parts of the game then imagine what you could do with a dominant scrum. That would be one hell of a team. Maybe just a world class tighthead would do you a world of good if you could keep him injury free?

Having said that it's all about depth. The top teams have world class front row players on the bench too so that changes later in the game for fresh legs doesn't weaken the team. The problem is that the Scarlets, and the other welsh regions too for that matter, can't afford 4 world class props.

Back to top Go down

Post by Turkster Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:07 pm

4 world class props? who can afford them? and who has them now? 4 international class props is more of a target I reckon.

Turkster

Back to top Go down

Post by SubsBench Sun 20 Nov 2011, 7:26 pm

red_stag wrote:Scarlets must make winning the HEC their aim. They have 4 games left:

- Munster HOME
- Munster AWAY
- Northampton HOME
- Castres AWAY

A minimum 3/4 wins should be the aim there.

Despite the quality of teams the Heineken Cup isn't actually that hard a tournament to win if you get out of the pool stages.

I said going into this that Saints didn't worry me - they got an easy pool and home comforts in the knockouts last year. If Scarlets get a home quarter anything is possible.

Despite the fantastic start its too early to get excited about getting out of the group, let alone about winning the cup. If we lose to Munster at home then we are in trouble in the group. Even if we win at home ideally we need a decent result at Thomond park, at least a LBP and denying Munster a TBP. If that happens then we have a chance of getting out of the group.

Not sure its that easy to win the cup even if we get out of the group, I've had a couple of long drives home to testify to this.

SubsBench

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:24 pm

Turkster wrote:4 world class props? who can afford them? and who has them now? 4 international class props is more of a target I reckon.

Turkster, sorry that's sort of what I meant. There's probably no-one with 4 world class props! However, the big clubs will have maybe 4 international class props. At the regions we may have the odd international class prop and then academy prospects or old players who will never be international class. For the Scarlets and my team the Dragons we haven't got any, although I do rate Iestyn Thomas highly. Also, there's a difference between being international class and being an international. Deacon Manu is an example of this for me. Although he's an international I don't think he'd ever dominate his opposite number. Same for Rhys Thomas. As with the Dragons, a few gnarled foreigners may have to be the option if our youngsters can not step up to the plate.

If Scarlets can get international quality depth on the pitch AND on the bench then I think you could push on challenge for the HC. That's how much I rate the rest of your team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

Our front 5 has always been an issue, but at least this year we aren't being steamrollered like last year, so it's yet another step in the right direction for us. If we keep impoving, I'm going to be happy. That's all I'm asking for, and if the wins come with it, then all the better!

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

What Scarlets will need though at some stage is to get a lucky win with a shoddy performance. Nobody delivers 6 top matches in a row so getting the result at all costs is a must.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

I have to say the Scarlets have surprised me. Last few seasons I've thought they scored some nice tries, but had little to back it up in terms of grunt or hard-nosed rugby required for top-level success. I fully expected them to fall away in the second half against the Saints like they did against the Tigers last season.

That they didn't says that they've definitely moved forwards. Whether they can sustain that is another matter, but the result against the Saints was an important step.

That said, I don't think they'll win a cup this season. It's still a bit early for them and it may take a few more seasons of moving forwards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

Our first half against Castres was pretty shoddy, will that count? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 20 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:Our front 5 has always been an issue, but at least this year we aren't being steamrollered like last year, so it's yet another step in the right direction for us. If we keep impoving, I'm going to be happy. That's all I'm asking for, and if the wins come with it, then all the better!

Dreamer how are you lass. good I hope

I would say McBrydes second season and now Garin Jenkins input will reap you rewards , I have alot of faith in those two guys.

My view is that Nigel Davies is the best head coach available in Wales including Gatland
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

Evening FHF, I'm grand ta, how's yourself?

I don't think McBryde is coming back to us this season, and Garin isn't signed up full time as a coach but I really hope we get him on a long term contract asap. The difference he's made to our pack is incredible, we finally have a bit of dog about us! Our rolling mall, first agaisnt Ulster a few weeks ago, and then on Friday against Saints was incredible. Long may our new found aggression continue Smile

And Nige has done a sound job. A couple of seasons ago I started to have doubts, but his plans are finally coming good. His tactical preperation this season has been brilliant. A lot about our win against the Saints was down to our preperation and our coaching staff need to take a lot of the plaudits for that.

Also another note about our forwards, we have the brilliant Vernan Cooper coaching them this season too, after retiring last season. he knows exactly what it takes to be a Scarlet, so if he instills the same values in this current crop of players, more to the good I say OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:31 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Explain?

Doh
There is a "none of the above" option that posters can opt to select. Feel free to do so.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

Morgannwg that was added in after some posters decided to make a fuss about there not being one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:43 pm

Well anyway I think they got a good chance of winning the LV. If they progress beyond the H-cup pool stage and avoid the likes of Toulouse then they have a good chance of being in the final. Wishful thinking maybe but what a knock-out game Scarlets vs Leinster would be!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:44 pm

any of the knock out options would be fantastic, knock out rugby is brilliant (and very painful at times!)

The LV....that one's set up so weirdly, I can never decide who has teh best chance of winning that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 14 Jan 2012, 3:26 pm

Thanks for including 'none of the above' .

I think unfortunately for the Scarlets that's the way it's heading now.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 14 Jan 2012, 5:56 pm

Be a good bet for an AmLin win.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

I stand by my "none of the above" vote from way back.

I thought I heard that the Scarlets couldn't qualify for the Amlin now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 14 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:Thanks for including 'none of the above' .

I think unfortunately for the Scarlets that's the way it's heading now.

Wow was searching for this thread worth it ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sat 14 Jan 2012, 8:34 pm

Nevermind if they fail to win anything this season they can go back to the good old 1972 Allblacks victory bla bla

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next