The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

if you could have a player who would it be

+31
GunsGerms
LondonTiger
Rinsure
dragonbreath
LordDowlais
BamBam
100%beefy
t1000advancedprototype
thebluesmancometh
aucklandlaurie
IanBru
flyhalffactory
ChequeredJersey
maestegmafia
majesticimperialman
Geordie
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
Liam
Taffineastbourne
R!skysports
Artful_Dodger
SecretFly
kingjohn7
bluestonevedder
Cardiff Taffy
bedfordwelsh
offload
bsando
Cyril
welshboii15
35 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

if you could have a player who would it be - Page 2 Empty if you could have a player who would it be

Post by welshboii15 Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:10 am

First topic message reminder :

If you could have one player from any of the countries in the 6 nations who would it be and why?

Mine would be Fofana because he would bring something different to the welsh back line something we haven't got

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

if you could have a player who would it be - Page 2 Empty Re: if you could have a player who would it be

Post by SecretFly Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Richie Gray???

Someone must tell me one day what I'm missing with Richie Gray.

Well firstly have you ever watched a game of rugby
If so, secondly have you ever watched Glasgow, Sale or Scotland play

He played quite superb against NZ in 2010, has had a fair few injuries to contend with in 2012/13 but he wins so much in the lineout and the loose

If you haven't then its not worth persuing

No, I haven't ever watched a game of rubgy.

Next?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

if you could have a player who would it be - Page 2 Empty Re: if you could have a player who would it be

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:26 am

flyhalffactory wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Richie Gray???

Someone must tell me one day what I'm missing with Richie Gray.

Well firstly have you ever watched a game of rugby
If so, secondly have you ever watched Glasgow, Sale or Scotland play

He played quite superb against NZ in 2010, has had a fair few injuries to contend with in 2012/13 but he wins so much in the lineout and the loose

If you haven't then its not worth persuing

No need to get like that fly, secret makes a decent point, he gets a huge amount of plaudits for the lineout when thats a unit issue, Hamilton and Ford don't get enough praise IMHO!!

Grey is very noticable for his heaight and hair, but he has a few flaws to his game that seems to be ignored, his breakdown tech is very poor at times, and he isn't very effective in the tight. If you want a complete lock then flying around the wings and park isn't priority number 1, Croft gets slated for hanging in the wider chanells, and although I don't think Grey is anywhere near as bad for a lock it is too much!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:34 am

Gray is a contentious player if form is the main criteria of selection as his has been poor recently. however he was on the rampage last season and offers a superb ball carrying option, makes breaks, has huge physicality and is a superb lineout exponent. Following his injury against Wales I understood he was out until mid may so where does this leave his chances of selection? Would he have been picked, probably but I think he will miss out anyway

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 am

100%beefy wrote:Gray is a contentious player if form is the main criteria of selection as his has been poor recently. however he was on the rampage last season and offers a superb ball carrying option, makes breaks, has huge physicality and is a superb lineout exponent. Following his injury against Wales I understood he was out until mid may so where does this leave his chances of selection? Would he have been picked, probably but I think he will miss out anyway

Well thats just great innit, I pick two players from the U.K. and ones injured already.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:43 am

There is only one player I would pick to play for Wales out of all the six nations and that is Sexton, Fofana would be nice, but we do not need him, Parrise and Picamoles would be nice as well, but again we do not need them, what we need is a world class 10, we have not had one for years, we have had steady eddies like Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones who will kick your points, but I have not seen us have a silky smooth reliable 10 since Paul Thorburn, Mark Ring was close but he was too big headed, and still is, I want another Barry John or Phill Bennett and Sexton is the closest to them in the six nations.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:05 am

I wouldn't say we need sexton given more games Dan bigger can be our brilliant 10 he's proved for the ospreys he got all the gift in the pro 12 finals etc

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 am

flyhalffactory wrote:I fancy a cuppa now........ twinings, strong, white and one level spoon please teaboy
welshboii15 wrote:Ianbru mines a coffee chop chop
Laugh Laugh

Considering that I drink neither tea nor coffee (I drink only distilled water - my body is a temple), then you are free to drink whatever fetid, toxic, brown-coloured liquid might emerge from your cup.

If you drink it, you'll never have to prove your courage in any other way. Hug
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 am

Thinking about this again, I would take Ashton. He's still quick and has good balance, besides I think Jenks is past it. Sooner or later he's going to embarrass himself and drop that bottle or kicking tee. Wink
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

LordDowlais wrote:There is only one player I would pick to play for Wales out of all the six nations and that is Sexton, Fofana would be nice, but we do not need him, Parrise and Picamoles would be nice as well, but again we do not need them, what we need is a world class 10, we have not had one for years, we have had steady eddies like Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones who will kick your points, but I have not seen us have a silky smooth reliable 10 since Paul Thorburn, Mark Ring was close but he was too big headed, and still is, I want another Barry John or Phill Bennett and Sexton is the closest to them in the six nations.

Are you sure about that.??????? I can only assume that you are either very old and your memory is going, or very young and never actually saw Thorburn play. Not only was he most definately not a silky skilled player he was a pretty ordinary. slow, defensively questionable 15 with a big boot.

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinsure Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Matches played / Metres made
1 Alex Goode England 5 387

Stats aren't everything I guess, because I definitely can't remember Goode making that many breaks/metres for us

That'll be Goode catching the ball deep, running it back, doing a little bunny-hop, and then getting wrapped up and / or hammered back in the tackle. Notice he doesn't feature in the "breaks" list... that would require beating a man.

I fail to see the attraction of playing him. He's secure under the high ball, granted, but was shown up as weak in his one-on-one defence (Hogg ghosted past him with ease, IIRC), and spectacularly failed to bring anything to the party going forwards.

Okay, he's a "playmaker" option, but did he really do much in that role? Not enough, in my mind. Brown to FB, and a winger onto the wing please.

To whit: George North from Wales, please!

Rinsure

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:57 pm

Dan Cole, we are still short of back up for Adam Very Happy

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:58 am

dragonbreath wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:There is only one player I would pick to play for Wales out of all the six nations and that is Sexton, Fofana would be nice, but we do not need him, Parrise and Picamoles would be nice as well, but again we do not need them, what we need is a world class 10, we have not had one for years, we have had steady eddies like Neil Jenkins and Stephen Jones who will kick your points, but I have not seen us have a silky smooth reliable 10 since Paul Thorburn, Mark Ring was close but he was too big headed, and still is, I want another Barry John or Phill Bennett and Sexton is the closest to them in the six nations.

Are you sure about that.??????? I can only assume that you are either very old and your memory is going, or very young and never actually saw Thorburn play. Not only was he most definately not a silky skilled player he was a pretty ordinary. slow, defensively questionable 15 with a big boot.

I was about 10 or 11 when I saw him play, those two kicks against Scotland were the two best I have and ever will see, as at that age you get so star struck, and in the first world cup his try against Ireland and the sideline kicks to beat Australia, I have just got to many good memories of him to think anything else. Sorry

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:05 am

LD,

Thorburn was most definitely a full back. Rose tinted specs are allowed, especially when looking bact to when you were young. Getting the position wrong is less excusable Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:09 am

Come to think of it though, the last world class ten Wales had was Jiffy, or am I still looking through rose tinted specs. Headscratch

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:12 am

I'd take Fofana for Ireland or maybe Parra as all our scrum halves are muck.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:13 am

LordDowlais wrote:Come to think of it though, the last world class ten Wales had was Jiffy, or am I still looking through rose tinted specs. Headscratch

I think Neil Jenkins was pretty damn good even if he looked like he was missing a couple of chromosomes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:41 am

GunsGerms wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Come to think of it though, the last world class ten Wales had was Jiffy, or am I still looking through rose tinted specs. Headscratch

I think Neil Jenkins was pretty damn good even if he looked like he was missing a couple of chromosomes.

Kicking yes, his place kicking and his kicking at goal, at the time was the best in the world, this is why the Lions played him at fullback in 1997 just to have him there for his ability, but his control, running and tackling at 10 was average at best.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 am

Johnny Sexton in a Scotland jersey please
We are fairly weak at hooker (I like Pat McArthur though) but the standard of hookers across the 6N isn't consistently good so I plumped for a stand off

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:23 am

Sometimes having just plain old hooker like Ross ford at least you know what your getting.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:25 am

welshboii15 wrote:Sometimes having just plain old hooker like Ross ford at least you know what your getting.
His jumpers in the line out have no idea what they are getting!!! But you are right

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:33 am

Ross ford on a good day is as good as any hooker in 6 nations on bad day you he's as bad as any other hooker, same as any other hooker in six nations there isn't one world class hooker in the tournament.

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:04 am

No your glasses are fine, and we lost his best years to League

If you have not seen this, treat yourself www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt4AIRMzJ2o

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 am

For England-

Either that massive young French lock (Sebastien Vahaamahina) or Yannick Nyanga because he is the embodiment of total commitment.

... Or Sexton

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:06 pm

I'd take Tipuric and put him in instead of Messam. With his linking play and pilfering he'd have a field day in the ABs.

Fofana might well be an option if we don't find replacements for Nonu and Smith in the near future.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:37 pm

Maybe shouldn't watch Gray for Sale Wink

For England I think we lack at 8 and centre so it would have to be Parisse & JD, love to see JD & Manu paired up

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2