The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland and the Lions

+25
Solid8
LordDowlais
flyhalffactory
Biltong
dummy_half
EWT Spoons
RDW
R!skysports
NeilyBroon
tigertattie
Geordie
IanBru
glamorganalun
GloriousEmpire
Taffineastbourne
TJ1
thebluesmancometh
doctornickolas
George Carlin
100%beefy
ChequeredJersey
reallybored
Silver
theslosty
bsando
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Scotland and the Lions - Page 3 Empty Scotland and the Lions

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thinking about the Lions squad announcement at the end of this month, I was reading up on some Scottish Lions history. I didn't quite realise how bad Scotland's recent representation in the Lions had been...

2013 - ? (?) 6 Nations Result: 3rd

2009 - 2 (Murray, Hines) Blair & Ford after injuries occurred 6 Nations Result: 5th

2005 - 3 (Bulloch, Taylor and Cusiter) 6 Nations Result: 5th

2001 - 5 (Nicol, Smith, Bulloch, Murray and Taylor) 6 Nations Result: 3rd

1997 - 5 (Tait, Townsend, Smith, Weir and Wainwright) 5 Nations Result: 4th

The last time Scotland had some decent representation was back in 1993...

1993 - 8 (Hastings x2, Nicol, Burnell, Cronin, Milne, Reed, Wright) 5 Nations Result: 2nd

Looking back at the last 10 + years of Scottish rugby, in term of tries and wins, it has really been dreadful.

Statistics

This year Scotland scored 7 tries in the 6N, which is 2 tries off their high score of 9 tries in a 6N tournament. Italy's high score is 12 tries.

We also set a PB in terms of points scored in the tournament, with 98 points. That is the most points Scotland has ever scored in a 6N tournament, the lowest being 56 points in 2012 and 69 in 2008. The likes of Wales, England, Ireland and France have been consistently in double figures when it comes to tries.

So, going by recent history, the last time Scotland finished 3rd in the 6N they had 5 players selected for the Lions tour.

Scotland's Lions 2013

In 2009 6N, Scotland were poor with flickers of potential. This year they have shown some good signs of improvement and progress as well as some pretty talented new players. Will this mean Scotland shall have 5 players like in 2001? Or will they perhaps even have a few more? These are the most likely candidates in my view, in order of likeliness...

Gray, Hogg, Visser, Maitland, Brown, Ford, Laidlaw, Beattie, Murray, Scott, Grant... (I am sure many of you would debate this, but this is just what I think)

To me at least, the signs show that Scotland will have its best representation since 2001. Which I think would be fantastic for Scottish rugby. Come the Autumn internationals, we could have 5 or more Lions in the starting XV for Scotland. That would potentially give more confidence to Scotland's new and promising players such as Horne, Dunbar, Wilson, Reid, Swinson, MacInally etc, who will have enjoyed a tour to SA to play Itlay, SA and Samoa.

So how many Scots do you think will tour? What are your thoughts on Scotland and the Lions this year and in the past? Do you think Scotland will be looking at better representation in the future now we have a more promising team?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland and the Lions - Page 3 Empty Re: Scotland and the Lions

Post by 123456789 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:00 pm

DrTreasure wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:If Scotland have more than four players in the squad I will be very surprised.Would any Scot get into the Welsh side?If you answer that question honestly and then factor in worthy English and Irish players anyone listing 11 possible Scottish tourists is on some seriously strong stuff!!!

I don't think there is a lot between the 4 home nations currently with regards individual players which was evidenced by what was a close six nations where anybody could beat anybody. It ultimately came down to tactics and psychological factors. I put my hands up and admit that Wales were excellent against England but to imply that every Welsh player is superior to their Scottish counterpart is wrong, in my opinion. The Lions should be decided based on the last 12 months of rugby, international, european and domestic.

Scotland should probably hope for 4 or 5 tourists, no more as our sides werent competitive enough in the HC and our tactics and selection limited our players ability to put their hands up for selection in the six nations.

This is not to change the course of the thread or start a debate and is merely my opinion after watching excessive amounts of rugby in the past 12 months but in response to the suggestions no Scots would get in the Welsh side; If i had to pick a side of only Welsh and Scottish players to play Australia then it would be;

1) Jones - Easy, he is world classbut Grant is excellent too
2) Macarthur - Should have been first choice for Scotland and offers a lot of vital work in the loose, prefer him to Hibbard
3) Jenkins - Don't feel Murray is the force he was and want to see Welsh get more game time
4) Gray - May be a little off form but he is still excellent and wouldnt leave him out
5) Evans - In good form and would make a good partnership with Gray
6) Brown - Quality 6 who does it all on the pitch at the highest level and balances the backrow well.
7) Tipuric - Edges it over Warburton on form though Rennie and Barclay can match them when at their best.
8) Faletau - Beattie offers more when at his best but don't feel he is there yet and Faletau in better form.
9) Phillips - Feel he offers more in big matches than Laidlaw despite his issues with service
10) Biggar - Position very much in development for Scotland
11) North - Offers a bit more than Visser
12) Dunbar - I feel both Scott and Dunbar offer more on balance than Roberts and am a big fan of Dunbar who has been excellent for Glasgow and should have been involved with Scotland a long time ago.
13) Davies - another area of development for Scotland with little to challenge here
14) Maitland - better all round player than Cuthbert, very intelligent defender and would offer more against the Aussies
15) Hogg - Not much between him and halfpenny as has been argued to death but as a full back myself who has a "kick nothing, run everything" approach I will pick him everytime as he is a delight to watch and more than competent in defence.

So 9 Welsh 6 Scots for me. Think some of the Scottish players would thrive under the better management, gameplan and team selection of other nations. The Lions could easily pick equal numbers from all nations and not lose anything. The performance of the Irish and English sides in Europe compared to the Scots and Welsh shows that selection shouldnt be based on one game in the six nations and many more factors will need to be considered.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? Voltaire
(Disclaimer - my opinion may be that what you say is arrogant and ignorant and I will be much more appreciative of respectful, constructive comments)

Out of interest which English and Irish players would you add to that?

Back to top Go down

Post by DrTreasure Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

Well because I can in my own fantasy world! I would pick an English/Irish select that would be Healy, Best, Cole, POC, Launchberry, O'Brien, Wood, Heaslip, Youngs, Sexton, Bowe, Tuilagi, O'Driscoll, Wade, Kearney (all very good players who would challenge for test places if on the tour) and then play the two sides against each other to decide the test team. Would be a great game and I'm not sure who would win.

For my current test side (though that will change a lot on the tour as people play themselves into contention/get injured) I would prob have Best, Healy, Youngs, Sexton, Tuilagi, O'Driscoll and Bowe in there.

DrTreasure

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:12 pm

DrTreasure wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:If Scotland have more than four players in the squad I will be very surprised.Would any Scot get into the Welsh side?If you answer that question honestly and then factor in worthy English and Irish players anyone listing 11 possible Scottish tourists is on some seriously strong stuff!!!

I don't think there is a lot between the 4 home nations currently with regards individual players which was evidenced by what was a close six nations where anybody could beat anybody. It ultimately came down to tactics and psychological factors. I put my hands up and admit that Wales were excellent against England but to imply that every Welsh player is superior to their Scottish counterpart is wrong, in my opinion. The Lions should be decided based on the last 12 months of rugby, international, european and domestic.

Scotland should probably hope for 4 or 5 tourists, no more as our sides werent competitive enough in the HC and our tactics and selection limited our players ability to put their hands up for selection in the six nations.

This is not to change the course of the thread or start a debate and is merely my opinion after watching excessive amounts of rugby in the past 12 months but in response to the suggestions no Scots would get in the Welsh side; If i had to pick a side of only Welsh and Scottish players to play Australia then it would be;

1) Jones - Easy, he is world classbut Grant is excellent too
2) Macarthur - Should have been first choice for Scotland and offers a lot of vital work in the loose, prefer him to Hibbard
3) Jenkins - Don't feel Murray is the force he was and want to see Welsh get more game time
4) Gray - May be a little off form but he is still excellent and wouldnt leave him out
5) Evans - In good form and would make a good partnership with Gray
6) Brown - Quality 6 who does it all on the pitch at the highest level and balances the backrow well.
7) Tipuric - Edges it over Warburton on form though Rennie and Barclay can match them when at their best.
8) Faletau - Beattie offers more when at his best but don't feel he is there yet and Faletau in better form.
9) Phillips - Feel he offers more in big matches than Laidlaw despite his issues with service
10) Biggar - Position very much in development for Scotland
11) North - Offers a bit more than Visser
12) Dunbar - I feel both Scott and Dunbar offer more on balance than Roberts and am a big fan of Dunbar who has been excellent for Glasgow and should have been involved with Scotland a long time ago.
13) Davies - another area of development for Scotland with little to challenge here
14) Maitland - better all round player than Cuthbert, very intelligent defender and would offer more against the Aussies
15) Hogg - Not much between him and halfpenny as has been argued to death but as a full back myself who has a "kick nothing, run everything" approach I will pick him everytime as he is a delight to watch and more than competent in defence.

So 9 Welsh 6 Scots for me. Think some of the Scottish players would thrive under the better management, gameplan and team selection of other nations. The Lions could easily pick equal numbers from all nations and not lose anything. The performance of the Irish and English sides in Europe compared to the Scots and Welsh shows that selection shouldnt be based on one game in the six nations and many more factors will need to be considered.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? Voltaire
(Disclaimer - my opinion may be that what you say is arrogant and ignorant and I will be much more appreciative of respectful, constructive comments)
Thank you for your support.
I might suggest removing the highlights from my post, read it in full and see how similar your view and mine are. Funny old world!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3