The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

+49
LastDamnation
Conehead
themightyone
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
GSC
CJB
Plunky
golfermartin
Seve_The_Great
Redrage
djlovesyou
monty junior
Dave.
Sand
MontysMerkin
Diggers
Lairdy
Good Golly I'm Olly
John Cregan
ALPanorak
AlciG
Hibbz
dynamark
SmithersJones
bluestonevedder
EmmDee57
GunsGerms
McLaren
super_realist
mystiroakey
GPB
Shotrock
princedracula
Bob_the_Job
Skydriver
twoeightnine
incontinentia
beninho
gaelgowfer
Sheldo25
WillyGilly
ralphjohn69
navyblueshorts
JPX
sirbenson
pedro
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
53 posters

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Martin Laird of course; you didn't think I was talking about the guy who's on the cover of every golf magazine and even some others did you? Or even that young Northern Irishman we've heard so much about?

No, Martin Laird's fantastic final round last Sunday in San Antonio not only stuck two fingers through the Ballwasher who doubted his resolve after a dismal nine-month spell. But also earned a ticket to Augusta National and finds himself in the "long shot, stranger things have happened, but not many" category for The Masters. More on that later.

2).The TPC San Antonio, ("Greg Norman designs golf courses to test professional golfers, not to please professional golfers," said Padraig Harrington), certainly looked much easier on the eye than in years past and it seemed that most pros who turned up enjoyed their week; some will hopefully even be back.
But play was dreadfully slow and one young American is just another guilty party who I hadn't spotted before. Daniel Summerhays, good lord, how long does it take you to hit the golf ball? Summerhays seemed to turn to Winterhays during some of his pre-shot routines.

3).And, while our thoughts turn to Magnolia Drive, our annual word in tribute to the Welshman from Bangor, Errie Ball, who played in the first Masters and is still alive today, hopefully to tell the tale, at 102.

4).Billy Payne has two new members this year, one who's just gone up one rung, presumably, on the list of the World's most evil women, the other who got her invite the old-fashioned way, thru' connections. (Have a personal interest in Darla Moore's richly endowed University of South Carolina's Moore School Of Business, so pleased to see her being honoured with a membership.)

5).With McIlroy and Woods striking form, I'd say this Masters, more than most, is almost certain to go to a favourite if, not necessarily, THE favourite. So let's look at some long shots and the owgr Top 25 for a form guide, with all the usual biases of course:

"Long shots, stranger things have happened, but not many":

#269: Angel Cabrera: You may think there's more chance of him attending Thatcher's funeral but, hey, this man hasn't forgotten how to play the game, he's physically fitter, has shown glimpses of form, and knows how to win - and how many can say that?

#56: Well, Martin Laird certainly can! 20th first time around Augusta, 50-something last year, but if he can putt like last week who knows? He hits the ball perfectly for the course, but it will be all about course management and his short game for Martin. The Laird of San Antonio with 22 Sunday putts, or the Laird of Florida when he took eight 3-putts each at Bay Hill and Tampa?

#41: Henrik Stenson: Eccentric as ever but plenty long enough and can putt well. On my e.w. list at 75/1.

#38: Scott Piercy: Thinks he's the best golfer the world has ever seen. Still seething at the perceived injustice of not being interviewed on TV after his demolition of Luke Donald at the MatchPlay. The favourite, in his eyes anyway, and don't you dare discount his chances!

6).21 - 25:
#25: Furyk: Planning to attack Augusta with two drivers but hasn't done better than 4th here and not likely to this week.

#24: Els: Terrible year so far, seems to have lost confidence just when he needs it most.

#23: Watney: Jekyll and Hyde, Would love to see him take the proverbial next step but don't see it this week.

#22: Hanson: 3rd last year but in much better form coming in than this year's version. Wouldn't count him out completely, top ten material.

#21: Mahan: A couple of Masters' top tens under his belt, but something's been missing this past year and I can't see him finding it at Augusta.

7).16 - 20:
#20: Simpson: His US Open win apart, hasn't really had that great a last 18 months. Can't see it improving here.

#19: Dustin Johnson: Augusta National is made for Dustin - no par 5's here for him, but nothing inside the Top 30 here yet, and his dodgy short game will frustrate him again this week.

#18: Dufner: Good start a year ago but faded. If his Dufnering pic's are anything to go by he's still asleep.

#17: McDowell: Top 15 material, doesn't fancy some of the tee shots here and, until he does, can't see him contending.

#16: Garcia: This place frustrates the sh1t out of him. Shame, might get close, but not close enough.

8).11 - 15:
#15: Schwartzel: 2011 winner and no reason to think he can't win another one. Except none of the five South African Major (and Players) winners these past eight years have won since on the PGA Tour. Top three candidate.

#14: Bubba Watson: It's all about his emotions - I fancy a left-hander but perhaps not this one.

#13: Westwood: Nope, not this year, Lee, not until your short game and your long game are on the same page. But, if he can somehow be -10 on the par fives, he'll be right there. Nah.

#12: Poulter: Would love to see Poults win a Biggie but reckon Augusta National is too long for him, too much pressure on his mid and long irons. Top 15 though.

#11: Bradley: Lots of top tens this year and may score another one. Plenty long enough but can't see that short game winning a Green Jacket.

9).6 - 10:
#10: Kuchar: 3rd last year, plods along with that inane-looking, sh1t-eating grin of his and, hey presto, he's right there. Top 5 perhaps, but Green Jacket? Perhaps not, e.w. value though at 33/1 or 40's.

#9: Mickelson: My choice last year and should've, would've and certainly could've . . . . Those triple bogeys did him in. My idea of the man to beat, not scared to win and probably doesn't want it so manically much as Number One.

#8: Stricker: Says he's "still trying to figure out Augusta". I bracket him with Poults, his long game puts too much pressure on his world-class short game; top 20 probable but can't see him in the shake-up.

#7: Scott: No form to speak of this season; plays a bizarre schedule and who knows if he's up for this? Not worth the risk.

#6: Oosthuizen: Difficult for me to separate the two South African Kings: He was devastated by last year's play-off defeat, but can he bounce back? Sh1t or bust I'd think - at his best a sure-fire contender.

10).1 - 5:
#5: Snedeker: Has been out injured for most of the past two months, no cuts made since his early season super form. Certainly has the game, but feel he's still slightly under-cooked for this week. The Sneds of the past year a certain Major winner - just not this week.

#4: Donald: No form for ages. The 2011 model Luke would be a contender anywhere, but not the short-and-crooked version of years ago which has made an unwelcome return - might get away with it at Hilton Head but not 150 miles up the road at Augusta.

#3: Rose: Which Justin will we see? The winner at such top courses as Aronomink and Muirfield Village, or the strutter who flatters only to deceive, but then burns up the final nine holes for a back-door podium finish? Until he can prove that he won't wilt when the heat turns up, I'd have him down as a likely top tenner, not a winner.

#2: And then there's Rory. If his confidence right now was as high as Scott Piercy's I'd ink him in to his first Green Jacket, but his driver left him a bit last Sunday and he won't be "back" until he's back. Not many would be surprised to see him win; me neither, but perhaps not this year.

#1: Tiger: The only person who can beat Tiger is Tiger, and his ambition and anxiety to earn his next Major. Until he does it, I'd bet against him and gamble that Tiger will beat Tiger. As we saw at Bay Hill, though, the old intimidation factor is back and, if he putts like he did in Orlando and hits 60% of the fairways, he'll win this. For me, I'd bet the field against him.

Can't wait though, although we'll have to put up with the unctuous, over-reverential tones of CBS - would be nice to think they'll have a commentator under the age of 50, a breath of fresh air so sorely needed, but no chance of that. The weather should have the course in perfect condition, but there's a chance of severe storms Thursday p.m. into Friday, after which the sun will shine.

I fancy Phil to win, but Bones (perhaps the only born-in-Britain winner this year?) has to keep him focussed. Reckon Louis and Charl will be right there and fancy Kuchar as best outsider, Stenson best complete long-shot.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:39 pm

i just did as well

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: HE'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Masters: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

Kwin - All I can say is that no matter what happens to Rory on the course this weekend, he's a winner from my observation!

Too bad for Lee, but maybe he got his double out of the way early.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

Off out to play a few holes myself now. I expect to see Westwood back to at least level par upon my return!!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

Sr,
It's nothing compared to the real news of the golf week, fees going up at Valley View - the only course where the fivesomes p1ss and moan about being held up by the sixsomes . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:45 pm

Westwood birdies the next and is back into 33's. We've nabbed the value if nothing else Mysti!!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:45 pm

One back at 2 for LW, so at least he's playing the par 5s better Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

nice!!!

its all about value!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

Smithers he did actually crush the 5's in his last 3 rounds..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

I know, hence the wink.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Rose is 1 under after 1 Very Happy

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:59 pm

Rose is 2 under after 2 Very Happy

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:59 pm

Yahoo

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:01 pm

Pettersson -2 after 3

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

Schwartzel starts with a double bogey

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:03 pm

AlciG wrote:Pettersson -2 after 3
only -1 after 4

C'mon Roseyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

So projecting Justin's final result at the current run rate, he will be -72 for the tournament. Fantastic.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

What's wrong with Chubby's lads ...?

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:07 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Rose is 2 under after 2 Very Happy
pfft, Cejka at the Web.com event is -3 after 2!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm

Skydriver wrote:So projecting Justin's final result at the current run rate, he will be -72 for the tournament. Fantastic.

That is like a tweet the parody Alliss account on twitter would make!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

So much for Sneds being rusty. Also -2 after 3
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:15 pm

Remember lads that coverage starts on the red button at 3:45 !!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

Rose gives a shot back on 3....it was a par....seems corrected to a bogey though

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Its nearly Tiger time!! Come on Eldy, its your year , you have the power!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

incontinentia wrote:Its nearly Tiger time!! Come on Eldy, its your year , you have the power!

thumbsup

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

Time for Major Number 4 Padraig!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:41 pm

double for sneds; Schwartz drops another one; lynn powering away, in the lead on his own...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:53 pm

Sandy Lyle's got a huge ........ putter!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

5 hour man at -3 after 7

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 11 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Also, had lunch yesterday with a teaching pro who played Augusta twice over the past month (and from the Championship tees). He said that the approach on 7 is an absolute bear unless you truly bomb your drive. What's more (and he's an admitted shorter than longer hitter) he had a utility club in on 18 both times.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

David Lynn seems like either a joker/arse depending on your point of view of "wacky" soprtsmen. But he is enjoying his moments in sun after a journeyman career.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:08 pm

Furyk five under over his last eight holes . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

Nine Chins on the course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:13 pm

What a putt by LYNNN!!

3 under

drains it from 40 foot..

glad i put the ahmen corner coverage on

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:15 pm

Is that on BBC Oakey or just sky?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by AlciG Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

Furyk on a birdie train in Georgia

AlciG

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

only sky red button i think!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:27 pm

Looks like Lynndawg is going to be the customary unlikely round 1 leader.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

Is this the first time that David Lynn is playing at Augusta? If so, he's doing incredibly well so far.

Ryo Ishikawa doing his best to justify his controversial invitation so far.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:33 pm

King Charl making up lost ground.
A big miss for Woods not birdie-ing the second.

David Lynn defo an Augusta virgin.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

Good fightback from Westwood.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:38 pm

Odd sort of leaderboard, two guys flying and everyone else bunched up and struggling to get past -1. Still early on I guess... too early to draw conclusions for the day's scoring?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:43 pm

At a boy Westy. You watching it sirbenson? How's Westwood's general play?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

And no sooner do I type that than normality returns, a few birdies, a bogey for Furyk, and a normal looking leaderboard again. And Lynn leading on his own again.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:At a boy Westy. You watching it sirbenson? How's Westwood's general play?

Nope, only Amen Corner coverage so far. There will be coverage from 15&16 and two featured groups soon as well.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

Another birdie for Westy! -1 now.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:54 pm

Good start Padraig!!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:55 pm

Sandy Lyle doing himself proud with two holes to survive - even par, tied with Tiger.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:03 pm

One of the toughest approaches in golf that one on 11. Great shot by lee. good chance to get to 2 under

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

Cejka leading, Chopra one shot back . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 11 Apr 2013, 5:13 pm

Westy is looking v good.. Smile

furyk going south down the leaderboard

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next