The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie McDonnell v Julio Ceja

+8
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hampo17
eddyfightfan
hazharrison
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
12 posters

Go down

Jamie McDonnell v Julio Ceja Empty Jamie McDonnell v Julio Ceja

Post by Rowley Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:24 pm

In little under a months time Doncaster’s own Jamie Mcdonnell gets a chance at a world title against Julio Ceja for the vacant IBF bantamweight title. Big fight for the town and Jamie as he bids to become Doncaster’s first ever world champion. As I have not seen much of his opponent or seen much chat about this thought I would post this up to get people’s opinions on his opponent and chances.

I really hope Jamie can get this done. Would be a massive boost for the sport in the region and in the open air at the Keepmoat could be quite an event. Have a lot of time for Jamie personally, may not be the most gifted of guys but seems a genuinely hard working pro and his approach to the game reminds me a lot of another personal favourite in Clinton Woods in that he gets the absolute maximum he can out of his talents and is more than willing to put the graft in to make it in the sport. Suspect he does not have enough dig to mix with the real elite but has enough in his locker to be a tough night for anyone outside of the true elite, which I hope includes Ceja.

Does he have a chance in this one? Am hoping people can confirm he does.

Last edited by Rowley on Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Jamie McDonnell v Julio Ceja Empty Re: Jamie McDonnell v Julio Ceja

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:52 pm

Ceja is unbeaten with a 91% KO percentage and McDonnell has lost twice!!.

I'd know who I'd be betting on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 17 Apr 2013, 5:53 pm

I like McDonnell, and he's paid his dues going through domestic and European/commonwealth level the proper way and is deserving of a shot. He is pretty good fighter also, good chin, great stamina and good fundamentals. He may not carry 1-punch KO power but has the power to keep you honest and walking him down

Don't know a hell of a lot about his opponent. He is a young mexican and has alot of knockouts but has fought sub par opposition and only in Mexico. What he will bring is a good fight as he seems aggressive and McDonell likes to get into a tear up

This is Leo Santa Cruz's vacated title isn't it. McDonell is lucky he isn't fighting him as he is a bull and is too good for Jamie. Should be a fun night and winnable for Jamie

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:40 pm

It's a great little fight and one I'd be attending if I hadn't agreed to attend a stag do on that very same day (Ricky Burns also fights that night and on the Glasgow undercard there's a wonderful trade fight in Simpson vs Choi). Way to go stag organisers.

McDonnell's losses can be discounted to a degree - he was fighting part-time back then and his head wasn't on right. Jamie's win over Stephane Jamoye looks better with every subsequent win the Belgian racks up.

Ceja is powerful but raw and so McDonnell will fancy he can out point him but one slip and it could be timberrrrr....

It will be worth attending for those in the vicinity.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:46 pm

mcdonnell has only lost twice (by SD and 1 point in a bout scored by a ref) against decent opposition, and since then has been storming through beating the likes of hall and zamora, picking up a euro, british and commonwealth title.

ceja looks very well matched, fighting mostly 3-4 fight novices for the first few years of his career and never going past journey men. i'm backing jamie to bring the belt back.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:01 pm

McDonell has admitted that one slip up and its lights out against this guy and I see that as a good sign that he is willing to acknowledge that fact.

Backing him to win on points though.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 18 Apr 2013, 11:56 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Ceja is unbeaten with a 91% KO percentage and McDonnell has lost twice!!.

I'd know who I'd be betting on..

You would have lost bucketloads when Burns fought Martinez then.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 18 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm

I like Jamie McDonnell as people have already said he has done things the hard way, he's pretty solid all round fighter but his power could keep him away for the elite but he could pick up this title and make a good couple of £££ for himself.

I though he was very lucky to get the nod against Napa. I didn't have high hopes for him after that but he proved me wrong and has racked up a decent set of wins since then.

People have said about Ceja only fighting sup par Mexican opposition but there arent that many journey man in Mexico, they are more like club fighters who are in the gym most weeks and come to fight. Gary Buckland fought a 3-10-2 fighter on the Hatton undercard and didnt have it all his own way and won a close UD decision. Even Crolla only managed to eek out a SD against 5-4-3 Mexican club fighter. Ceja has fought decent set of fighters in his last few fights so I wouldn't say his record is that padded. But I have never seen him fight so I couldn't comment on how good he actually is.

I hope that being out home in a packed out open stadium makes the difference and he becomes the first boxer from Donny to pick up a world title.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:15 pm

Julio Ceja is an excellent young fighter.

As his record shows, he can bang.

He could be a future Mexican superstar and I expect him to win by massive KO inside 5 rounds.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm

I was at the Motorpoint for McDonnell's IBF eliminator, and watching it you could really appreciate how much he's come on in the past couple of years. His defence really is very handy now in particular and, like a Ricky Burns for instance, he's looking like a fairly strong all-rounder.

I don't know anything about Ceja barring his KO record, however. McDonnell will be a step up from anything he's been facing in his homeland so far, but on the other hand there's a good chance that he's bringing power to the table which McDonnell's simply never experience before and may not be prepared for, either.

From the outset, this is a winnable fight for McDonnell thanks to his defence and the fact that he's got home advantage, and it probably the most likely route to a world title. Moreno and Kameda would be too much for McDonnell, certainly right now in any case, and Santa Cruz can be added to that list as well, but there's good money to earn from flossing an IBF belt for a year or so before he's forced in to those kind of fights if he's successful here, so I really hope he can do it. Got a lot of time for McDonnell.

Difficult to predict, this one. What the hell, McDonnell to nick a split decision.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:48 pm

Is this on TV?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 18 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

Although I know nothing about the fighters themselves, I think four of Cejas victims have fought for world titles in the past 3 years, no idea if they're any good but gives a slight indication of their level.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down