The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons?

5 posters

Go down

Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons? Empty Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons?

Post by Makaveli Sat 27 Apr 2013, 1:18 am

At the weigh in for their upcoming match, Jones was booed by the fans, he has been getting negative feedback from fans for not promoting the fight with Sonnen. Although I can understand this from the UFC point of view why theyd be abit annoyed as him not promoting the fight could have a big affect on the sales they get. BUT why are the fans booing him, im not here to make people support Jones by any means but why cant people see it from his point of view. He didnt want the fight becasue he feels Sonnen doesnt deserve the title oppertunity and only got it due to his ability to talk, which is fair enough, only for Dana to make that fight happen, that would pee me off to. Ive not watched TUF since series 3 so dont know what happened in this series but from what ive heard, Jones personality didnt come across as exciting compared to Sonnen. Fair enough, but Jones has said it himself his in the "win the fight business" not the "promote the fight business", why cant people aknowledge that and judge him on what he wants to be judged on and that is doing the talking in the ring, (well octagon but ring sounds better). Theres too much hatred for Jones not being an exciting personality, like him being exciting on the microphone or on twitter is going to earn them money. As a fight fan surely you want to watch the best performances in the ring rather than outside, I certainly do, and cant understand the reason why Jones gets so much hatred, for just focusing on his job and winning fights. If does understand the hate he gets, id love for you guys to explain it, because the way i see it, the thing that separates boxing and mma at the moment is usually in the UFC the best fight the best, where as in boxing its usually who is the most popular or can sell more tickets goes up in the rankings rather than the better boxers, which is one of the factor in the sports decline, and i have a feeling the way things are looking this could be the same with MMA in the coming years,

Your thoughts (sorry if it was hard to understand had a long day and thought id chek up on the sports news before going to bed, only to be enraged by fans booing jones that i thought id come here and think what you guys think)

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons? Empty Re: Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons?

Post by westisbest Sat 27 Apr 2013, 8:30 am

Jones to me does not have a personality.
Least he didnt on the show.

I like Sonnen. The way he coaced his team was alot better, not just because 2 of his guys got to the final.

The way he spoke to them, in depth.
Came accross as a really good guy.
Just seemed he cared that litte bit more.

Obviously Jones is a great fighter therefore great to watch.
Nothing against Jones, just prefer Sonnen.
Prefer those type of characters in the fight game.
I like their interviews, spices things up.

Would love to see Sonnen win, but think Jones will be to good.

But one of the reasons I love MMA is that it does'nt matter how good you are, anyone can beat anyone.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons? Empty Re: Jon Jones is he disliked for the right reasons?

Post by compelling and rich Mon 29 Apr 2013, 11:20 am

personality is one thing west but for all sonnen talk he's usually rubbish to watch where as jones is the opposite. id rather have a boring fighter out of the ring who's good inside of it than the other way round

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Mon 29 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

I agree with compelling and rich, each to their own though i guess. Glad Jones dominated Sonnen on satrday night though, i hope weve seen the end of him

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 30 Apr 2013, 9:38 am

I honestly don't know whats not to like about Jones. He delivers every single time he's in the Octogon. I've heard Americans don't like him because he comes across as fake on TV.

He does not have a personality made for TV, but he delivers exciting fights time after time, so that's enough for me.

I was confused with all the talk of animosity between Jones & Sonnen from TUF. From what we seen they got on pretty well.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 03 May 2013, 10:51 am

compelling and rich wrote:personality is one thing west but for all sonnen talk he's usually rubbish to watch where as jones is the opposite. id rather have a boring fighter out of the ring who's good inside of it than the other way round

Thats fair enough.

Just wish Sonnen could back up his chat, in that fight.
Course we all want to see exciting fighters/fights.

I just like someone who talks the talk in the fight game.
I think Bisping is great to watch. In the weigh ins to. Certainly far from dull.

Bit like the way i'm not a fan of Federer. Find him very dull.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Tue 21 May 2013, 9:47 am

Sonnen did well against Anderson Silva don't forget, really was on top for a while, so how Jones can think he didn't deserve the fight I don't know. Jones will only start 'promoting' his fights when he finally gets beat, he's far from unbeatable.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Tue 21 May 2013, 10:46 am

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Sonnen did well against Anderson Silva don't forget, really was on top for a while, so how Jones can think he didn't deserve the fight I don't know. Jones will only start 'promoting' his fights when he finally gets beat, he's far from unbeatable.

That was nearly 3 years ago, and his performance was very questionable. Since then he dominated Stan to a submission, won a very close decision against Bisping, then got brutally stopped by Silva. Based on that he didn't deserve a shot at the light heavyweight title.

His chance came about all through cirumstances. He was the only one willing to fight Jones on 8 days notice, all to win, nothing to lose. Jones declined, so of course people were going to say he should fight Sonnen and not duck.

If Henderson wouldn't have got injured, Sonnen would have been know where near the title.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down