The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice for beginner

+2
drive4show
Clunge4life
6 posters

Go down

Advice for beginner Empty Advice for beginner

Post by Clunge4life Thu 5 May - 21:41

Hey guys have just taken up this great game and im currently looking to buy my first set of clubs?

Any recommendations for a good set for beginners that will be "forgiving"?

Cheers

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Advice for beginner Empty Re: Advice for beginner

Post by drive4show Thu 5 May - 21:53

You can't go far wrong if you stick the bigger names. Look for a decent set of cavity back irons from the likes of Callaway, Ping, Taylormade, Cobra or Mizuno. Pop down to your local golf shop and try out a few 2nd hand sets in the net or range before buying anything.

And always buy on results NOT on how fashionable or trendy the clubs are. You may well find that a lesser known set gives you better results.

Other places to try are ebay and golfbidder but only once you know what you want.

Good luck! thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Thu 5 May - 22:54

Drive,

thanks for the reply and will have a look at some beginner sets from those names

Cheers

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 5 May - 22:59

I would take the advice of my dad who has said exactly what i was going to say. Well done dad (D4S) Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 5 May - 23:01

Doc wrote:I would take the advice of my dad who has said exactly what i was going to say. Well done dad (D4S) Very Happy

You cheeky begger...you're grounded. Get up to your bedroom!! mad

laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 5 May - 23:05

My advice would be to pick up a second hand set to begin with. There is little point in spending a lot before you have learned if you will stick with this game. Look on ebay or golfbidder for some used Ping G5s which are very forgiving. You should also consider your height, you can use Pings online fitting guide to get static measurements, you could need longer or shorter shafts.

The brand isn't that iimportant, as D4S said most leading manufacturers will do a good beginner range. if you know this is something you will do for years then go and buy a new set and get measured up for it. Don't go overboard on your first set, your swing could change in time with lessons etc. That is another reason to get a cheap old set to begin with, you will probably want a series of lessons to kick you off.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu 5 May - 23:44

can't beat a good 2nd hand set to let you get the feel of things. You're going to have a nightmare, so as rage says, get yourself a couple of lessons early before you you develop all the bad stuff we all get early on. its easier to teach a new player who hasn't bad habits to get rid of.

Once you've decided that you enjoy it, get yourself a set of clubs built for you so not off the shelf stuff. Some great clubs out there can be built for the same price as big brands, but will be unique to you and your swing.

You will think about throwing your clubs, your bag and balls. you'll also have a nightmare time each time you play early on, but there will be at least one shot in the round that you think 'wow, that was awesome' and I'm afraid you'll be hooked for life. Its a long, slow drudge unless you have loads of spare time, getting your handicap down. But its great fun and you'll meet some great people as well some really odd bar stewards. Enjoy ... thumbsup

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Fri 6 May - 0:22

Big thanks for the advice guys - i have had a few nightmares already (using the Bro's clubs) and as you say Doc after that one "awesome" shot i was hooked!!

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sway Fri 6 May - 1:00

Clunge - It's not to late you know, there is still time to save yourself ! As Doc says you'll soon be hooked for life, and then you'll find yourself doing strange things, like walking into peoples gardens and thinking 'ooh you could turn this into a cracking little short game practice area' or standing in front of mirrors and contorting your body into vague approximations of a golf swing - madness I tell you !

Anyway if your going to insist on treading this path of lunacy then there's plenty of good advice on here already, so the only thing I would add is that you should probably steer clear of the 'package set' you can get for beginners. They may seem like a good option as you get everything you need to start playing but my cousin got one from Wilson when we first took up golf, and although the quality was decent enough, he had replaced everything but the stand-bag within a year (I think the putter & the woods were the first to go) these kind of sets also have very little re-sale value.

The advice about getting a few lessons is also excellent, I played for about 8 months before I went for my first lesson and the amount of bad habits that I had managed to pick up, even with the basics like stance, grip and posture were pretty shocking. It was also a lot harder to change them as it was what I had become used to or comfortable with, I always wish I'd started the lessons a little bit sooner

Best of luck and let us know how you get on thumbsup

Sway

Back to top Go down

Post by Clunge4life Fri 6 May - 17:56

Sway wrote:Clunge - It's not to late you know, there is still time to save yourself ! As Doc says you'll soon be hooked for life, and then you'll find yourself doing strange things, like walking into peoples gardens and thinking 'ooh you could turn this into a cracking little short game practice area' or standing in front of mirrors and contorting your body into vague approximations of a golf swing - madness I tell you !

LOL love this!

Cheers Sway i think i will invest a few quid on some lessons - there are sooooo many things that that you can do incorrectly!!!

And it's not a cheap hobby either! Shocked

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Fri 6 May - 18:37

"And it's not a cheap hobby either!"

It’s more of a lifestyle choice, or an addiction. Psychologically, it’s probably quite similar to smoking. Its good though, very good.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down