The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner - just getting started - help & advice?

+2
shclaff
EX7EY
6 posters

Go down

Beginner - just getting started - help & advice? Empty Beginner - just getting started - help & advice?

Post by EX7EY Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Watched the open, went to the driving range, hit the boll everywhere except where I wanted to. Caught the golf bug!

Question is, how do I now get involved and get better? Just bought three drivers, a set of irons, putter and a bag for £35 from gumtree. Obviously they arent great but just need something to help me learn!

Just wondered if anyone has any tips for a beginner? And does anybdoy know why it feels like ive broken my ribs after hitting 100 balls on the driving range? lol

Thanks in advance

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Beginner - just getting started - help & advice? Empty Re: Beginner - just getting started - help & advice?

Post by shclaff Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi EX.

If I had my time again I would get some lessons early. This way you can ingrain good habits from the outset.

Also, I would focus the vast majority of my attention on the short game (chipping, pitching, putting). If there is a pitch and putt near you that would be a great place to ply your trade until you feel ready for a full 18 holes.

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Beginner - just getting started - help & advice? Empty Re: Beginner - just getting started - help & advice?

Post by EX7EY Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks for your advice Schlaff. I was thinking about lessons butIm a bit short on cash at the moment. Could probably afford 1 or 2 just to get the basics right.

There is a 9 hole course down the road from me thats pretty poor and I probably wouldnt upset anybody when I take 7 shots to complete a par 3 Smile

Would it be worth paying a visit there? I understand what you mean because when I was on the driving range I seemed to jsut try and smash the balls as far as possible without any real purpose....there are probably better ways to learn hey? Very Happy 

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Lessons.

Ask a couple of pros at clubs near you what their ethos is with a beginner, chat to him/her and if you like what they're saying and you think you can get on with them while under their tutelage go for it. Generally they aren't scary and if you do think/feel are talking down to you or you don't like them/what they're doing, vote with your wallet and go elsewhere.

Hope you do get in to it. It is a good game/pastime and can be good value (despite public opinion to the contrary on both points!)

Also, golfers aren't all kn0bs. Honest!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Sounds like lessons are the way to go then....does anybody know how much these cost roughly?

And would it be too soon to get on a 9 hole course and give it a go? How would you all approach things if you were beginning again?

How much are memberships at clubs etc? Is it common place for people to do a round of golf alone or is it better to always play in pairs or what not?

How long will it be until I can expect to be navigating 18 holes and getting myself a handicap? Does anybody here play in amateur tournaments and things like that? Are they all for club members only or do clubs open up tournaments to all amateurs?

Thanks again

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Quite a few clubs and driving ranges have beginners' group lessons at very little cost or even for free. Just try googling free golf lessons and your area.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 am

Personally I would suggest one on one lessons. I had some group lessons when I started out and my experience wasnt great. The going rate near me (midlands) is £20-£30 for an hour. It will accelerate your development/enjoyment.

The 9 hole course sounds like a great bet. And don't worry about playing on your own, my course is often quiet in the evenings and I love going round on my own for 9. You can work on things without any pressure to perform and you can get some peace!

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:20 am

And if you think you've got the bug after hitting balls badly on the range, just wait until you hit a few really well.

That's one thing I really, really like about golf. Every round or two, no matter how good/bad you are you will hit a genuinely world class shot that wouldn't look out of place on telly. It's what gets me going back time and time again even when I'm playing like an idiot (which everyone does at least occasionally).

The only one bit of real advice I would give is enjoy it. No matter what the day, your game, the company. Even on the worst day there will be something to enjoy.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:46 am

Unless you have a mate who's very good, you'll need at least a couple/few lessons - you could pick up a lot from the odd book but you'll need some input from a decent teacher to put it together.
Buy (or borrow) Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons" and read it multiple times over. Yes, it's a good few decades old now but has so many sound principles in it, it'll never really go out of fashion. You could do worse than have a look at Jack Nicklaus' "Golf My Way" as well.
Practice, practice, practice. There's many ways to get the face of a golf club to hit a ball where you want it but whatever your swing ends up looking like, it's practice that'll ingrain a repeatable swing which you don't have to think too much about. I'd echo one of the earlier comments as well - spend as much, if not more, time on chipping/putting practice. Anyone can putt and being a good putter is the easiest way to improve your scores and to take money/beer off your mates.
As for your ribs, I'd suggest you've used a good few muscles around your ribcage that you've not used in anger before.

A final point: be careful of instructional tips from the Internet! There's a lot of good stuff out there but quite a lot of baloney as well.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:14 pm

Navy wrote:Buy (or borrow) Ben Hogan's "Five Lessons" and read it multiple times over. Yes, it's a good few decades old now but has so many sound principles in it, it'll never really go out of fashion.

Brilliant advice.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for all the tips/encouragement. Picked up my clubs last night and and don't think I've done too badly at all for £35. Took them to my dad to have a quick look and he said they are alright to get started. Then he slotted a Big Birtha War Bird in to the bag for me which my mate said is quite a decent driver.

Off to the the driving range now for 100 balls and more sore ribs Smile

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down