The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steve Davies for England (again)...

+5
Kidderlad
gboycottnut
Shelsey93
Corporalhumblebucket
SimonofSurrey
9 posters

Go down

Steve Davies for England (again)... Empty Steve Davies for England (again)...

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 06 May 2013, 8:01 pm

...in the longer form of the One Day game, to keep wicket and open. He's a more accomplished player than when last he played 1-dayers for England (when he was incredibly unfortunate to have been dropped anyway). I would also pick Prior, by the way, as a batsman. With KP injured, I like the look of a batting line up which starts:

Cook
Davies
Trott
Root
Bell
Prior

with 5 bowlers, a couple of whom can bat, to follow.

What are the chances?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Steve Davies for England (again)... Empty Steve Davies for England (again)...

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 06 May 2013, 8:02 pm

...in the longer form of the One Day game, to keep wicket and open. He's a more accomplished player than when last he played 1-dayers for England (when he was incredibly unfortunate to have been dropped anyway). I would also pick Prior, by the way, as a batsman. With KP injured, I like the look of a batting line up which starts:

Cook
Davies
Trott
Root
Bell
Prior

with 5 bowlers, a couple of whom can bat, to follow.

What are the chances?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Steve Davies for England (again)... Empty Re: Steve Davies for England (again)...

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 06 May 2013, 9:09 pm

Hi Simon. Superb innings today from Davies, and an excellent start to the season. I'd be a bit surprised, tho, if he got a recall as I think selectors are probably working on the basis that they have now moved on to other options. I think there was also a bit of a question as to whether he was regarded as sufficiently dynamic a figure as the focal point of a fielding side. Plus, having suffered from a longish period of depression there's a lot to be said pro tem for him concentrating on really enjoying and performing to the max in the county game rather than getting back into international arena.

Anything could happen if he continues to clock up the centuries, but I would not put any money on it.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Steve Davies for England (again)... Empty Re: Steve Davies for England (again)...

Post by SimonofSurrey Mon 06 May 2013, 11:21 pm

Hi CHB and welcome to the new season. I fear you're right but, having seen an article on/interview with 'Interesting' over the weekend, he seemed to hint he'd like a recall. If it happens, it couldn't happen to a nicer feller.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 07 May 2013, 8:38 am

England have a very successful one-day plan, and are highly unlikely to change it. Unfortunately for Davies that plan excludes him as there are 6 or 7 better non-wicket keeping options as a 100-making opener (Cook, Bell, Trott, Root, Hales, Carberry etc.).

5 and 6 are now crucial positions for getting a move on - you need to score big in the last 15 - so again Davies is unlikely to really be in the mix.

If he does get a chance it will be as a touring reserve with the Test team I'd imagine. That place is still very much up for grabs with Bairstow, Kieswetter, Ambrose and Davies probably the prime candidates right now.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 07 May 2013, 11:15 am

Would love to see Davies been given a chance as an opening batsman in the test match format. Sadly however that is very unlikely now that England have managed to get a couple of decent options for the openers slot vacated by Strauss's retirement. Compton, Root, Carberry, Hales are just 4 names who are ahead of him at the moment. Also Sam Robson could well play for England by next summer and also the likes of Sam Northeast and Daniel Bell Drummond are also possible options for the near future.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Kidderlad Tue 07 May 2013, 12:43 pm

Would love to see him back for England. In the ODI games though I feel that England will want to stick to Buttler now as keeper with Bairstow also available. Sadly for Davies I think that England need some stability in that role as we all know about the recent constant chopping and changing. And as mentioned there are too many other candidates with the bat.

The test team is a different matter, with Prior now being over 30, in a few years he will be retire. As Davies seemed to be in mind as a sucessor for a few years, England now should keep him in that role. Lets take him on the overseas tours, and have him ready in this country should Prior get injured.

Kidderlad

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Tue 07 May 2013, 4:47 pm

Good to see Davies back among runs. An England recall would take a lot more though, and I certainly don't like the idea of Ian Bell batting at 5 for England in ODI cricket, he just isn't good enough to do that job.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 08 May 2013, 12:39 am

On another note related to England team selection, it is great to see Adil Rashid back in the Yorkshire first team again and with a century today, is he starting to finally fulfill the promise he showed back in 2009.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 08 May 2013, 10:26 pm

Can't see the one day keepers being anyone other than Bairstow or Buttler for a while.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 09 May 2013, 8:36 pm

Plenty of duplicate keepers - as well as a duplicate thread Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 10 May 2013, 12:26 am

Only just noticed the other thread was a duplicate. Can't see anyone other than Bairstow and Buttler with the gloves in one dayers for the forseeable future. Think Buttler will be able to transform his county 1 day form to the international stage.

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Fri 10 May 2013, 10:46 am

gboycottnut wrote:On another note related to England team selection, it is great to see Adil Rashid back in the Yorkshire first team again and with a century today, is he starting to finally fulfill the promise he showed back in 2009.

Agree but he needs to perform with the ball to get anywhere near the England team again. Unless we bring Duncan Fletcher back then he could well get in based on his batting!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 May 2013, 12:10 pm

I've merged the 2 threads Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 10 May 2013, 6:53 pm

VTR wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:On another note related to England team selection, it is great to see Adil Rashid back in the Yorkshire first team again and with a century today, is he starting to finally fulfill the promise he showed back in 2009.

Agree but he needs to perform with the ball to get anywhere near the England team again. Unless we bring Duncan Fletcher back then he could well get in based on his batting!

If Adil Rashid can continue making good scores with the bat in county cricket perhaps he could be considered for the vacant All-rounder's role batting at number 6 for England in test matches, without having to be fully concerned about how well or badly he bowls his leg breaks when England are fielding. After all, Australia have recently used Steven Smith in a similar role for their own test team, without worrying too much about how well or badly he can bowl.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down