The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby?

+14
damage_13
lostinwales
TJ1
doctor_grey
HammerofThunor
Notch
Feckless Rogue
HongKongCherry
Geordie
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
SecretFly
Portnoy's Complaint
18 posters

Go down

Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby? Empty Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby?

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 21:24

Maybe it's time for England to emulate other countries by shutting its borders to more than a tiny dribble of foreign players strictly controlled by the PRL/RFU.

We'd have to leave the EU of course. And possibly the Commonwealth.

But we could develop the English game with English players.

English residency qualification would be a minimum of seven years to become eligable for England and parental qualifications would be assessed by RFU/PRL by need of the country (not the applicant). No grandparent qualification allowance at all. DNA evidence to prove parental lineage. Qualifying applicants via parent must provide evidence that they were resident with that parent up to the age of 18.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby? Empty Re: Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby?

Post by SecretFly Wed 8 May - 21:32

Laugh Well...you win Best Title of the Year anyway to begin with, grey. I always like a bit of politics sprinkled on my rugby.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby? Empty Re: Should the United Kingdom Independence Party take control of English rugby?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 8 May - 21:48

Give me strength picard

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 21:55

SecretFly wrote: Laugh Well...you win Best Title of the Year anyway to begin with, grey. I always like a bit of politics sprinkled on my rugby.

Ah but is it politics or satire, Fly?
And who is getting satirised?
Or maybe it is political after all...

Who knows (apart from me)?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 8 May - 21:59

Seeing as Farage looks like he enjoys a pint and can have a laugh then surely he can't be worse than the current commitee blazers?!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 8 May - 22:01

Well...correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm assuming the working satiric part of your post lies in this part:

"... to emulate other countries by shutting its borders to more than a tiny dribble of foreign players... "

I'm naive though as I don't know what other country you're alluding to?

It can't be Ireland as proportionally we have a decent percentage of foreign players playing in the Provinces.
It can't be France!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 8 May - 22:10

Bathman_in_London wrote:Seeing as Farage looks like he enjoys a pint and can have a laugh then surely he can't be worse than the current commitee blazers?!

Blimey looks to me liek a slimey sleazeball, greasy hair, permanent smirk kind of guy to me. The sort of politician who is a sex scadal just waiting to happen.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 8 May - 22:16

He is a politician so all of those are true!

I just thought on Have I got News for You he took the banter in good humour, unlike some of the po-faced politicians which often appear on there.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 22:22

Fly,
So why the

English residency qualification would be a minimum of seven years to become eligable for England and parental qualifications would be assessed by RFU/PRL by need of the country (not the applicant). No grandparent qualification allowance at all. DNA evidence to prove parental lineage. Qualifying applicants via parent must provide evidence that they were resident with that parent up to the age of 18.

There are some valid points there.

The fact that Ireland (your, maybe paranoid, choice - not mine) or Wales or New Zealand or Australia etc. have centralist establishments maybe being held up to satirical ridicule.

Maybe it's a nudge to the English establishment to haul up the drawbridge.

The English love level playing fields don't they?
Mind you the also have a penchant for selling them off.

Last edited by greytiger on Wed 8 May - 22:23; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 8 May - 22:23

Resist....do not make a serious comment.....i must resist...do not comment on the rree...rreesss...residency rule.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 8 May - 22:31

greytiger wrote:Maybe it's time for England to emulate other countries by shutting its borders to more than a tiny dribble of foreign players strictly controlled by the PRL/RFU.

i.e. just enough to ensure Manu and any of his other siblings qualify Wink

Do UKIP have a policy on salary caps too? They're definitely in favour of first past the post rather than this electoral college nonsense, just like a league in fact...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 22:37

HongKongCherry wrote:
greytiger wrote:Maybe it's time for England to emulate other countries by shutting its borders to more than a tiny dribble of foreign players strictly controlled by the PRL/RFU.

i.e. just enough to ensure Manu and any of his other siblings qualify Wink

Do UKIP have a policy on salary caps too? They're definitely in favour of first past the post rather than this electoral college nonsense, just like a league in fact...
To be fair, racists all like their immigrants to be fair.

As for the first past the post system, it does appear to be the only way of accumulating points in rugby.
That's a matter which seriously needs addressing.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 8 May - 22:42

I've opened a can of worms here... Doh
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 8 May - 23:06

greytiger wrote:
Fly,
So why the

The fact that Ireland (your, maybe paranoid, choice - not mine) or Wales or New Zealand or Australia etc. have centralist establishments maybe being held up to satirical ridicule.

Hmmm....mucho paranoid I'm not. Wink Just trying to tease out your argument, as you were leaving it in the hands of hidden satire.

On the Centralist bit.... well,that's an English issue of course, but I wouldn't be holding out too much hope that the PRL will ever agree to much of anything the RFU might say - and vice versa. So good luck with delusions of a united front on that one Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 8 May - 23:10

You should only be eligible to play for England if a relative was personally involved in the downfall of Hitler.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 23:17

Feckless Rogue wrote:You should only be eligible to play for England if a relative was personally involved in the downfall of Hitler.

Don't say that Feckless. Not after yesterday's general pardon.

Don't need another tide of Irishmen over here...

Headscratch

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 8 May - 23:30

SecretFly wrote:
greytiger wrote:
Fly,
So why the

Hmmm....mucho paranoid I'm not. Wink Just trying to tease out your argument, as you were leaving it in the hands of hidden satire.

On the Centralist bit.... well,that's an English issue of course, but I wouldn't be holding out too much hope that the PRL will ever agree to much of anything the RFU might say - and vice versa. So good luck with delusions of a united front on that one Wink

OK. I'll come clean.

It's both satirical and political.

But the political bit is in the sentiment rather than pro-UKIP whilst the satire is aimed at all nations that maintain artificial barriers via their national Unions.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 8 May - 23:37

greytiger wrote:

Don't need another tide of Irishmen over here...

Headscratch

I'm convinced Wayne Rooney is Irish. Look at the head on him. Your football team could do with a bit more of that kind of skill. But their mugs would probably effect your teams marketability prospects.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 8 May - 23:41

Man, you just make less and less sense Portnoy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 9 May - 0:47

Notch wrote:Man, you just make less and less sense Portnoy.

Don't worry Notch. I can understand your bemusement. It's about irony, satire, it's context in the real world and a certain amount of introspective criticism.
I wouldn't expect you to get it.

That is sarcasm by the way.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 9 May - 0:55

All unions DO have artificial barriers don't they? In England we have limit of 1 (or is it 2) non-EU players in a match squad. We also provide extra funding for more EQ players.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 9 May - 1:17

In a sense they (we) do Hammer. Except the enforcement is flimsily if at all enforced - by a wrist-slap penalty.

But that does raise the EU issue (in the context of the OP).
'We' are not centrally controlled and/or funded by the RFU to our collective detriment.

However if the PRL was to propose and agree an informal arrangement in line with its other illegal cartel agreements, a truly English league could be formed.

However, there's no point throwing stones in a greenhouse but equally there's no point denying that the plants are wilting.

Last edited by greytiger on Thu 9 May - 1:25; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 9 May - 1:20

greytiger wrote:
Notch wrote:Man, you just make less and less sense Portnoy.

Don't worry Notch. I can understand your bemusement. It's about irony, satire, it's context in the real world and a certain amount of introspective criticism.
I wouldn't expect you to get it.

That is sarcasm by the way.

I got that Laugh
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 9 May - 1:27

So let me get this right (or wrong!):

England have too shallow a policy on overseas investments, leading to a lack of English talent in prominent roles at club level, leading to a game like the recent one against Wales at International level, a Nation that................ well does it have Union control over regions?

Right? Wrong? You're still dicing the carrot a little slowly here, grey. Humming a tune with mumbled words.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 9 May - 1:31

Its a seed of discussion Fly.

Who knows what will grow?

No point plonking a fully-grown tree in the gaff when other plantings might have been more appropriate.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 9 May - 1:50

Here is the political treatise for today:

300 Years ago we lost control of our immigration policies when we brought over the Hanoverians to be kings. Phooey on them, I say. Inbred twits from far, far away.

150 years ago we had strict control over our immigration policies and much else. Though terrifically flawed, the British Empire was still the greatest civilising influence since the Roman Empire (also terrifically flawed). Sadly, those flaws show how poor the rest of human history has been..........

Rather than invoking a failed political creature of the moment, the UKIP, I say we work to re-establish Empire, with the clear learnings of the past and present. Especially as applies to the special green island somewhat to the left - how much greater could we have been had they been included on a fair and equitable basis as partners in that great adventure!

Once re-established, we take control of the ERC and the IRB (resistance will be futile). Next step is to recognise real borders within our reinvigourated and benevolent Empire, and define citizenship as where one is actually resident, not a three year transient. Of course, we need to equalise much of the economies of the key member nations so there is less need for players to leave home (though no barrier if they want, but won't represent their transient new home). Fair and open trade within our borders will accomplish this.

Clearly the resumption of Empire is critical to the growth and expansion of Rugby. In fact, I could argue the lack of Empire has hindered Rugby. They should be synonymous. Football/soccer will return to the dark alleyways where it belongs.

Rugby uber alles.

All under the warm, loving Embrace of Her Majesty, the Queen. GSTQ!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 9 May - 1:57

Well there goes the republican vote Doc.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself

No!
I said that yesterday and nobody listened
Poor old John Donne:run:

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 9 May - 2:11

greytiger wrote:Well there goes the republican vote Doc.
THAT is the best line of the day! Great laugh, mate.
My missus just called my little diatribe as a little leakage from my adult nappy......

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 10 May - 11:48

I just offered a point/counterpoint to John Donne. So there. I listened (read)!

You know, JD seems like the kind of guy who had no friends and was trying to convince people to talk to him.
GSTQ

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 10 May - 17:42

doctor_grey wrote: Though terrifically flawed, the British Empire was still the greatest civilising influence since the Roman Empire (also terrifically flawed).

Tell that to the Kenyans, Indians and other peoples we oppressed.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 10 May - 17:43

Having said that I do favour more strict qualification. Residency should be longer and I'd like some way of it being more than one grandparent

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 10 May - 17:45

TJ wrote:Having said that I do favour more strict qualification. Residency should be longer and I'd like some way of it being more than one grandparent

I think most people would be happy with that. 5 years and two grandparents seems to be a sensible step.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 10 May - 17:48

HammerofThunor wrote:
TJ wrote:Having said that I do favour more strict qualification. Residency should be longer and I'd like some way of it being more than one grandparent

I think most people would be happy with that. 5 years and two grandparents seems to be a sensible step.

So someone with grandparents from 4 separate countries cant play?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 10 May - 18:01

For those countries no. He would be limiting to the countries his parents were born or he was born (assuming he hasn't lived in his current location for 5 years). I don't think that's draconian

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 10 May - 18:14

The other thing is I think they should have citizenship of the country they want to play for.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 10 May - 18:15

HammerofThunor wrote:For those countries no. He would be limiting to the countries his parents were born or he was born (assuming he hasn't lived in his current location for 5 years). I don't think that's draconian

Or he qualifies for a country on residency.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Fri 10 May - 19:54

LondonTiger wrote:
Bathman_in_London wrote:Seeing as Farage looks like he enjoys a pint and can have a laugh then surely he can't be worse than the current commitee blazers?!

Blimey looks to me liek a slimey sleazeball, greasy hair, permanent smirk kind of guy to me. The sort of politician who is a sex scadal just waiting to happen.

erm.. you mean you don't know?

he sleeps around and has his wife on the MEP expenses books. He's made millions out of the EU and donated next to nothing to his party.

from this site - http://juniusonukip.blogspot.co.uk/

He has two adult sons from his first marriage and two young daughters with second wife Kirsten Mehr, a German broker, who he is cheating on

Farage is a man without a shred of integrity, a man lacking in morals, a drunkard, a man who has become very rich thanks to the EU and his MEP salary, a man who pays large amounts of money into offshore bank accounts to avoid paying UK taxes, a man who cheats on his wife, a man who is happy to smear and threaten those who dare question him, a man incapable of accepting criticism, a man who controls UKIP through his sycophants, a man who offers MEP positions in exchange for their loyalty and more!

Farage is a disgusting creature - a stain on British politics. Nice, he's not!

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 10 May - 22:31

TJ wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:For those countries no. He would be limiting to the countries his parents were born or he was born (assuming he hasn't lived in his current location for 5 years). I don't think that's draconian

Or he qualifies for a country on residency.

That was in the "5 year year residency" bit. As for citizenship, I see no problem with that as long as it's in addition to residency (the whole UK to England/Wales/etc thing).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 11 May - 0:25

i've encountered Farage, the man's a Kumquat

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat 11 May - 0:55

greytiger wrote:
SecretFly wrote: Laugh Well...you win Best Title of the Year anyway to begin with, grey. I always like a bit of politics sprinkled on my rugby.

Ah but is it politics or satire, Fly?
And who is getting satirised?
Or maybe it is political after all...

Who knows (including me)?

chin I see your point...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 12 May - 8:33

The only way forward is citizenship.

You can only represent a country if you are a citizen of that country.
Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sun 12 May - 8:39

So that opens the door to poaching MT.

I bet Ireland would be royally chuffed if Ulster's project players were snatched from under their noses by the Evil Empire.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 12 May - 8:44

Wouldn't happen due to the all Ireland agreement on representation.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Sun 12 May - 9:19

Is there such a thing as citizenship of Scotland, Northern Ireland, England or Wales?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 12 May - 9:26

UKIP are a shower of right wing, delusional, useless, racist muppets.... so yes they should take control of English rugby.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 12 May - 9:42

UKIP are a shower of right wing, delusional, useless, racist muppets....and are not fit to clean the loo.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 12 May - 17:08

Waterloo?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal Tiger Sun 12 May - 20:05

Feckless Rogue wrote:Is there such a thing as citizenship of Scotland, Northern Ireland, England or Wales?

All in good time. Ask again after 2014.

But joking aside it is not an easy question to answer and im sure the debate will rage on for many years to come.

Metal Tiger
Metal Tiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down