The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FA Cup 2013 Final Thread

+18
ONETWOFOREVER
User 774433
The Special Juan
TRUSSMAN66
CFCNick
Gregers
Lumbering_Jack
Ent
Galted
lorus59
Bull
JamesLincs
Good Golly I'm Olly
Fernando
GSC
Crimey
Duty281
NickisBHAFC
22 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

FA Cup 2013 Final Thread  - Page 5 Empty FA Cup 2013 Final Thread

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 08 May 2013, 3:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

Come on Wigan FA Cup 2013 Final Thread  - Page 5 3559488474

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

FA Cup 2013 Final Thread  - Page 5 Empty Re: FA Cup 2013 Final Thread

Post by Dave. Sat 11 May 2013, 8:59 pm

FreekShow wrote:
Dave. wrote:What a final!

WIGANNNNN! (I say in my faux North of England accent).

So happy for Martinez and Whelan....

Took their chances Dave. Wink

No question.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 11 May 2013, 9:31 pm

I thought Wigan were the best team and deserved to win even without Man City going down to 10-men. McManaman was the definite Man of the Match just a shame he didn't manage to score the first goal.

Once again Roberto Mancini shown he just doesn't cut it at the very top as a manager.

Some things did annoy me though:-
1) The Budweiser ribbons on the cup. I don't mind the sponsorship or the sponsor being on the ribbons but atleast have the ribbons in the Wigan colours.

2) The ITV coverage was shamefully bad. What happened to the players celebrating on the pitch? Where was the champagne spraying?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 9:35 pm

sportsville wrote:
1) The Budweiser ribbons on the cup. I don't mind the sponsorship or the sponsor being on the ribbons but atleast have the ribbons in the Wigan colours.

Agreed. Football in this country really has sold its soul.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 11 May 2013, 9:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Truth hurts kid...........

Utd bought success...........Chelsea did...............Liverpool no doubt did buying Dalglish types in the 80's....

Mercenary stuff doesn't wash...........If they didn't care they wouldn't have reached the final..

Why weren't you there????
Wigan even bought success. They were competing with the likes of Northampton, Barnet, Cambridge... before Dave Whelan came along. Without Whelan they'd probably still be in the lower tiers. With the Financial (un)Fair Rules coming in success like Wigan's won't happened again anytime soon.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 11 May 2013, 9:43 pm

For what it's worth I am not desperate for West Ham to be bought out by some foreign billionaire. When you're not brought up on magnitudes of success but history of others things then the money men aren't as exciting.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 9:43 pm

You do hope that Wigan's win is (in the future) talked about as much as Wimbledon's, Sunderlands, and Coventry's is still talked about today.

A massive achievement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sat 11 May 2013, 9:45 pm

If you are going to be pedantic every team buys success to an extent, watch amateur stuff if you don't like it.

What people mean by buying success is buying a midtable team pumping millions and millions into them, achieving nothing, selling them to one of the richest men in the world, pumping 100s of millions into them and just about winning a league on goal difference and going out in the group stages of the CL.

City have paid around £20 million for the likes of Lescott, Milner, Barry etc They are a complete joke of a club.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 9:49 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:For what it's worth I am not desperate for West Ham to be bought out by some foreign billionaire. When you're not brought up on magnitudes of success but history of others things then the money men aren't as exciting.

You'd still accept it and get used to it though, surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 11 May 2013, 9:49 pm

I think this is bigger than Wimbledon.

Shades of the 1998 Challenge Cup Final - Sheffield Eagles.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 9:53 pm

Ent wrote:If you are going to be pedantic every team buys success to an extent, watch amateur stuff if you don't like it.

What people mean by buying success is buying a midtable team pumping millions and millions into them, achieving nothing, selling them to one of the richest men in the world, pumping 100s of millions into them and just about winning a league on goal difference and going out in the group stages of the CL.

City have paid around £20 million for the likes of Lescott, Milner, Barry etc They are a complete joke of a club.

That's the nature of the beast Ent. If every Sugar Daddy upped sticks and moved home we wouldn't have a competitive league. It would be Man Utd and everybody else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 May 2013, 9:54 pm

Dave. wrote:I think this is bigger than Wimbledon.

Remember watching that in a grubby Oxford pub. Wigan didn't know what hit em!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 11 May 2013, 10:00 pm

FreekShow wrote:
chris.wilkerson13 wrote:For what it's worth I am not desperate for West Ham to be bought out by some foreign billionaire. When you're not brought up on magnitudes of success but history of others things then the money men aren't as exciting.

You'd still accept it and get used to it though, surely?

I'd have to, there is little a football fan can do to change the top end things of the business of football. I don't much want City to succeed, it is far more favourable to see them toil for the rewards of success. Their presence at the top of football is inevitable, but there was a much more blatant buying of success than others. I like much about them though, the older ideals. They've not deserved to win anything this season either so I'm happy they haven't. I like United even more for sticking to their stance on managers with the Moyes appointment. It's all a pantomime at the top to enjoy without worry for me anyway.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 May 2013, 10:10 pm

I'm not desperate for Norwich to be brought out by a foreign billionaire either.

Sort of the same stance as Chris
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 11 May 2013, 10:12 pm

I'd rather have foreign owners than be facing financial and football oblivion like 12 months ago.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 11 May 2013, 10:13 pm

GSC wrote:I'd rather have foreign owners than be facing financial and football oblivion like 12 months ago.

We all would. Luckily Norwich aren't in that position anymore, due to a rise through the leagues
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 11 May 2013, 10:33 pm

Ent wrote:If you are going to be pedantic every team buys success to an extent, watch amateur stuff if you don't like it.

The trouble is that 'buying success' has help Wigan rise through the leagues and have a chance of winning trophies. The likes of Man City and Chelsea where already competing in the top flight. Wigan, Fulham etc where competing in the fourth tier.

I have no problem with owners/ investors pumping money into clubs and feel it is fairer than the Financial Fair Play Rules. If clubs succeed good look to them, if they go the way of Leeds and Portsmouth then so be it. Other clubs will take their place.

The trouble with FFP is it will widen the gap between the top clubs and the lower clubs even more than it is now. Atleast now clubs/ owners can take a gamble. Under FFP the lower clubs have no chance.

The only way you can have proper FFP is to stop relegation and every club has the same to spend on transfers and wages.

One rule that would have help should have been the 25 man squad rules but the top clubs still have 40 plus players on their books.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 11 May 2013, 10:44 pm

FFP is all about keeping the elite as the elite. It's full of crap
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 12 May 2013, 2:27 am

FreekShow wrote:

That's the nature of the beast Ent. If every Sugar Daddy upped sticks and moved home we wouldn't have a competitive league. It would be Man Utd and everybody else.

The way it should be.

City had not 1 but 2 billionaire owners before try achieved anything - they are ridiculous. Every player in their first team apart from hart was purchased by foreign millions / how can the fans even identify with this, literally any club in the country could be city, hart Richards Eric helped the transition but now literally every player on the first team was purhasesmby a billionaire in the last 3 years...

May as well support Real Madrid - they aren't man city any more tey just use the name.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by erictheblueuk Sun 12 May 2013, 8:42 am

Dave. wrote:I think this is bigger than Wimbledon.

This is a bigger upset than Wimbledon because at the time Wimbledon were a top 10 side, not in the bottom 3 as Wigan are.
erictheblueuk
erictheblueuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 12 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Ent wrote:
FreekShow wrote:

The way it should be.

City had not 1 but 2 billionaire owners before try achieved anything - they are ridiculous. Every player in their first team apart from hart was purchased by foreign millions / how can the fans even identify with this, literally any club in the country could be city, hart Richards Eric helped the transition but now literally every player on the first team was purhasesmby a billionaire in the last 3 years...

May as well support Real Madrid - they aren't man city any more tey just use the name.

Joe Hart was cheap, but still bought with that Thai guy's money I believe.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5