The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Realistic Premier League Final - Results

4 posters

Go down

The Realistic Premier League Final - Results Empty The Realistic Premier League Final - Results

Post by Marky Thu 09 May 2013, 8:35 am

West Brom v Fulham
Wembley Stadium

Two strong sides lined up for the inaugrial Realistic Premier League final, between West Bromwich Albion and Fulham. This season had a first time ever playoff system used, with league high flyers Fulham earning their way to the final against the surprise package of West Brom, who underwent a managerial change and developed into a real threat, moving up the league to mid table from relegation and having a real threat upfront in Lukaku.

Fulham took an early lead in today's game, when Etienne Capoue hit a shot from 25 yards that nestled in the bottom corner. Their lead was short lived however, as within 5 minutes that man Lukaku nodded in from a Diego freekick, Lukaku getting away from Chris Samba and getting to the ball first. 1-1 was how it stayed until half time.

The second half began with Fulham flying out of the trap, Dimitar Berbatov, who had a quiet first half, hitting the crossbar with a shot from 18 yards out. Fulham would rue that miss as in the 58th minute, West Brom took the lead. A corner from Chris Brunt was only partially cleared to Tom Ince, who's shot took a deflection off Mirin and landed at the feet of Lukaku who poked home past Stekelenburg from close range. The goal was given despite offside protests from the Fulham goalkeeper.

Only 5 minutes later, West Brom went 3-1 up. A freekick was beautifully curled into the top corner by Diego, the foul given after Tom Ince was fouled by Molinaro. Fulham looked dead and buried. Credit to manager Trebs, who made a triple change and went for it. Ruiz, Emmanuelson and Rodallega all came on, and Fulham looked a different team with their 3-4-3 formation.

With 10 minutes to go, Fulham got a goal back. Ruiz and Emmanuelson linked together well and found Adriano who's shot was well saved by Foster, but Adriano beat Coates to the loose ball and fired into the roof of the net. Fulham threw everything at West Brom for the final few minutes to force an equaliser, but it wasn't to be as West Brom held out to win a pulsating final.

Lukaku was the difference today. Many feel this Fulham side lacks something, undoubtedly someone like Lukaku could have been the final piece of the jigsaw. Many feel the loan of Lukaku from Chelsea to West Brom in real life was unfair, it did mean for our season that West Brom arguably possessed one of the best strikers in the league and it was definitely a factor in their success.

Congratulations to West Brom, the Realistic Premier League Champions!

Voting: 3-0-2

West Brom 3-2 Fulham
(Lukaku x2, Diego) (Capoue, Adriano)

Votes: 2-1 (Lukaku x2) (Adriano), 2-3 (Diego, Lukaku) (Capoue, Berbatov, Adriano), 1-0, 3-1 (Lukaku x2, Diego) (Capoue), 0-1

I feel both sides lined up well, however the trickery of Diego and the power and pace of Lukaku gave West Brom a somewhat unfair advantage (seeing as Lukaku isn't a WBA player!) and they go on to win.
-
It's so hard trying to pick out weaknesses in both sets of tactics here. While Lukaku is a real handful, his height/power is well matched in Samba so WBA wouldn't be as effective in the air. However, chasing and running with the ball will put Fulham under immense pressure and with Diego pulling the strings helping WBA keep the ball around their 18 yard box. Fulham defensively have a good disciplined shape and in their wingers they would hurt WBA's FB's in a foot race. Both teams are very well matched all over the pitch but for me, the front paring for Fulham just nick a late winner for me.
-
1-0 to WBA - tactically outdone him.
-
West Brom were well organised and stronger at FB and on the wings, which led to them putting in a lot of crosses for Lukaku. Fulham were solid going forward, but lacked a 'spark' of creativity, which West Brom got from Diego in spades. West Brom = worthy league winners.
-
2 similar lineups, Fulham seem to have a bit more of an x-factor throughout their team.

Marky

Back to top Go down

The Realistic Premier League Final - Results Empty Re: The Realistic Premier League Final - Results

Post by The_Enigma Thu 09 May 2013, 9:43 am

Congratulations Russ clap

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

The Realistic Premier League Final - Results Empty Re: The Realistic Premier League Final - Results

Post by Trebs Thu 09 May 2013, 11:00 am

Well played Russ, great turnaround from what you started with.

I agree my side lacks something, I've been trying to work it out for weeks now.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Enigma Thu 09 May 2013, 11:05 am

I personally would have started Ruiz in place of Redmond, but apart from that I don't think you got much if anything tactically wrong. Maybe with 1 maybe 2 more key signings there's no question that you would have won the league..... if we would have seen things out

Russ, just to echo Trebs comments - you did a tremendous job in building West Brom with Diego being a key signing

The_Enigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 09 May 2013, 12:12 pm

Trebs, if your Fulham side had a Benteke/Lukaku of your own it could easily have been very different.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Russell_Elmo Thu 09 May 2013, 3:17 pm

Thanks Smile

I'm just glad I didn't have to vote on it! From the tactics it looked a hard one to call!

Well played trebs Smile

Russell_Elmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down