The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position

+11
thebluesmancometh
Sin é
Portnoy's Complaint
Feckless Rogue
ME-109
SecretFly
rodders
Notch
whocares
asoreleftshoulder
GunsGerms
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position - Page 2 Empty OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position

Post by GunsGerms Fri 17 May 2013, 6:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Feel sorry for Sexton.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position - Page 2 Empty Re: OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 8:54 pm

DOD wrote:Bluesman you have been whinging about him since the original 606

Think you got me mixed up because I was a big Munster follwer when living there then, even bought a brick and sent a msg, I'm a big fan of the guy, and Munster region in general, I am just more considered in calling player elements 'best of a generation', and I am happy to highlight and discuss player strengths and weaknesses without any bias...

Go and check the Welsh player threads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position - Page 2 Empty Re: OGara to Racing Metro next season. Coaching position

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 8:55 pm

Alright Blues, you are right, we are wrong, we are all too precious about our players to be taken seriously. We bow to your superior knowledge.

Rory I think you should change your name to that, It'll be a huge time saver in the future Laugh

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 8:56 pm

Feic! Bluesman is a closet turnip muncher! ..... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 8:58 pm

I was thinking about it, but I don't think you can have that many characters when typing your username.

Maybe yours should be "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 8:59 pm

rodders wrote:Feic! Bluesman is a closet turnip muncher! ..... Run

I thought we all were, to some degree. Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 9:01 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I was thinking about it, but I don't think you can have that many characters when typing your username.

Maybe yours should be "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"?

Thats it hit my punctuation skills, the last actions of a defeated man, thats a forum version of 'and your mother' Laugh clap clap clap

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 9:02 pm

Just a little joke bluesman, calm down sir. thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 9:02 pm

Jesus, you're all Carvery freaks???? Spuds (mashed), poor man's vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips - f**kin' creamed!!!!) a slab of meat (any will do as long as you say it's beef) and four slices of thick gravy.

I'm going to support bluesman from here on in.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Ahh I get it now, you actually meant to put the exclamation marks?...I thought the swear filter had got you .... Smile
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 18 May 2013, 9:04 pm

Laugh

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 18 May 2013, 9:04 pm

‘Love’ is a strong word to use, but it sums up my feeling for Munster

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The latest addition to our stellar team of rugby writers reflects on the ups and downs of a magnificent playing career — and reveals the reasons why he’s chosen to move to Paris to kick-start his coaching career.

By Ronan O'Gara

IT FELT very natural. There was never a day or moment in a match or training that made the decision for me. I have always thought logically and realistically about things; for me there is a natural cycle to everything, and now is the right time for me to finish playing the game I love.

I am trusting my instinct and it is telling me now is the appropriate time to stop. Could I have played on for another year? Of course I could, but I feel it’s getting harder and harder every season and I want to leave the game at the height of my powers.

The most difficult aspect of my decision is the realisation of what I am leaving behind. I leave a club that is very close to my heart and has given me the most extraordinary array of memories. I cannot speak highly enough of the men I’ve played with since 1997. The bond between the players is very hard to define and people on the outside have no idea of the depth of feeling among the players. I have developed special relationships with many of these guys and I am very grateful for that. I firmly believe that the Munster supporters play a crucial role in the team’s success. Their knowledge, love, enthusiasm and passion is above and beyond what we or any team in world rugby could rightly expect.

My final two games for Munster highlighted the fact. Both were tough away games in Europe where we did the business in one and failed in the other. However, the reaction of many thousands of supporters in Montpellier that day will live long in the memory bank for my wife and I. I was bursting with pride walking around the pitch with my son, Rua, in my arms appreciating the fans’ efforts to get us over the line. Going forward it is important for the Munster readers of this column to know that the team thrives on this level of support.

Had I already decided to retire before the loss in Montpellier? I kind of knew. My lads are gone. My boys in the team are gone. But I hadn’t decided finally, no. I didn’t enjoy the Rabo season to be honest but I get a massive thrill out of big European rugby matches. For my whole career I had Test rugby so I suppose the way I wrapped up with Ireland, it wasn’t the way I wanted to finish. So that gave me the motivation to make sure I’d show these fellas I can play. There were doubters looming and it was nice to show them this fella can still play.

Not that I’d be basing my decision on what people thought. I have to be selfish and I made my decision without any input from anyone else. I just know I’ve always trusted my instincts on my game, in my career, in my relationships with people and it just seems to me now that I have so many positive memories in my head that I just want to go now.

I’ve played with so many players, probably more than a 100 players with Munster, and there’s a few, really close fellas but it’s very hard to close that net when it’s Munster. It’s hard to explain but I suppose I’d have a relationship with nearly every player in a different way. That’s what makes the club tick. It’s very hard for people to understand that. It’s strange. We’re all individuals, highly motivated in our own different ways, but all different. But there’s something that binds you together and I think it’s better not defining what that something is, because if you do, Munster won’t be what we want it to be.

I have also been lucky enough to play for our wonderful country for 13 seasons. I am very proud of representing Ireland for such a long time in modern sport. I retire as Ireland’s most capped player but the decision of a certain Leinster man to keep on playing suggests it won’t be for long. Time to hang up the boots, Brian!

Not being able to close out that Ireland career in my own way is a regret but one that was beyond my control. The only thing I’d say would be that the most pleasing thing was winning the No. 10 jersey back for the 2011 World Cup. That confirmed the belief I had in myself and the doggedness I had about myself. I knew for cup rugby that I’m going to give them no option but to pick me and that’s what happened.

But after that I’d no problem being back-up to Jonny Sexton because the Irish team has to develop and grow. I was moving on and I’ve had the most wonderful Irish career that anyone could possibly imagine. It’s something that I’m so proud of.

People think I’m a pure Munster man but I’m not, I’m an Irish man and I get such a buzz out of Test rugby. I’ve played it more often than anyone in this country. So when I hear it said ‘there’s a Rebel in him’ or ‘if he showed the same passion for Munster to Ireland’, it’s the biggest load of rubbish I’ve ever heard. I don’t have to say it but people know how committed I am to Ireland.

So after that World Cup I had no problem whatsoever playing back-up to Jonny Sexton because he’s a very good player. But when Jonny got injured I felt I was probably the person to play that game, and just for this season’s Six Nations. I felt that in the summer I was always going to retire (from Test rugby) anyway, and that was the time to blood the younger fellas on the tour.

I trained with them every day so I knew the level that was required to stay ahead of these guys and I thought in my head ‘I’ve never become delusional or above my station’ but I thought I was probably a better option for the Six Nations.

I have had plenty of meaningful enquiries over the past few weeks from clubs around the world, ascertaining my interest in playing for them. Some in France, Europe and beyond. The answer though was very simple: No Thank You. If I was to keep playing it would be with Munster. No-one else. I have never given serious consideration to leaving Munster over the course of my playing career because the club satisfied all my ambitions and motivations.

I have ambitions in the years ahead to coach at a high level and, with this in mind, I can confirm now that I will be joining Racing Metro’s coaching staff in July for two years. I am hugely excited about the prospect and looking forward to the new challenge. I will be working mainly with their first team, and will also look after the half-backs at all age levels within the club. I will also be working with Racing’s Academy; that excites me because I need to understand principles of coaching the younger aged. I bet many of you are laughing at the prospect of Jonny Sexton having to listen to me on a daily basis!

Yesterday I met the president of the club, Jacky Lorenzetti, in London at a private lunch to conclude the deal. They are a hugely ambitious club and hopefully I can add value to their franchise as well as growing my coaching skills. The two head coaches taking over at Racing are the current Castres coaches and I have spoken to Laurent Traverse and Laurent Labit about what they expect of me in the coming season. These conversations have been brief because Castres are involved in the semi-final of the Top 14 but I know already that the two coaches have built impressive reputations and I look forward to learning from them.

Today’s column also represents another new adventure for me and I’m genuinely excited by the opportunity to provide detailed analysis and opinion of a game I love. I will provide constructive views, opinion and criticism on all areas of the game. I’d like to think I have a deep understanding of the game and hopefully I can provide a different kind of insight into rugby for readers of the Irish Examiner. You may not always agree with me, by the way. Rugby has become a complex game to understand and it is vital that key decisions, rules and law changes are explained at a basic level.

Finally, I, like everyone else have been deeply affected by the passing of Donal Walsh in Tralee this week. Fr. Francis Nolan informed us during his moving homily that Donal’s two dreams were to travel the world and play rugby for Munster. I sat in the church and prayed for Donal’s family and realised I have been living that dream for the last 17 years.

That’s all I could think about. Stand back here now a second and thank your lucky stars, Ronan. You feel like the chosen one.

There’s been days when you feel like giving up and you don’t think you’re good enough and you ask what are you doing all this for; you hate the media and you hate radio stations. But then, that’s the fuel I need to motivate me too.

So those words of Donal’s... if I was a 10-year-old boy and I was asked what I would like to do, that’s what I would have liked to have done.

So ‘grateful’ is the word I’d use. I wouldn’t be looking at moments or achievements. It’s the collective. I’m a member of a team that I have the utmost love for.

That’s a strong word to use for a rugby team, but that’s how I feel. Because of the supporters, the players and the people in the organisation. That would be it.

Thank you Donal.

Thank you Munster.

Thank you Ireland.

I am deeply honoured and humbled.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 May 2013, 9:04 pm

SecretFly wrote:He might not be the style of flyhalf most people like and I'm not denigrating Jones, he was no slouch. But there is no way Jones was better.

Oh come on. Jones was definitely the better player as evidenced by him starting ahead of ROG on two Lions tours. He had a more rounded game.

P.S. I reckon there are at least 10 tries Ireland scored off cross-field kicks from O'Gara. Horgan at least two against England over the years inncluding 2007, Trimble in the World Cup against Namibia (2007) and against Italy in 2008, Bowe against South Africa (2010), Argentina (2008) and Wales (2009)- thats seven off the top of my head.

And I'm bound to have forgotten a good few.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 May 2013, 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 9:08 pm

In a word Notch...bullshitt.

Rounded game in everything except scoring tries, scoring drops and scoring points... two Lions tours? Good, how did they go with Jones holding the roost?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 18 May 2013, 9:10 pm

Notch wrote:
SecretFly wrote:He might not be the style of flyhalf most people like and I'm not denigrating Jones, he was no slouch. But there is no way Jones was better.

Oh come on. Jones was definitely the better player as evidenced by him starting ahead of ROG on two Lions tours. He had a more rounded game.

And Hartley was selected ahead of Rory Best to go on this tour. Vics ahead of Jones, etc. etc. O'Gara was consigned to the midweek tour for the NZ tour - he never had a chance. Jonny was selected to be the starting OH and Jones the bench option. It might have helped Jones' case who the Backs coach was and that Mike Phillips was the starting scrum half in SA!

edit: for such an unrounded player, I don't get why so many top French clubs were so keen to get him onto their coaching staff.

Last edited by Sin é on Sat 18 May 2013, 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 9:12 pm

SecretFly wrote:In a word Notch...bullshitt.

Rounded game in everything except scoring tries, scoring drops and scoring points... two Lions tours? Good, how did they go with Jones holding the roost?

Well Jones was clearly the more rounded player, better distributor, an actual line threat (until that fridge on his back got too big) and bigger boot.

It comes down to 100% of coaches who had a choice between the 2 selected Stephen Jones 100% of the time over ROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 9:14 pm

A line threat? As in crossing one? Back to the facts bluesman. But you don't care about them. You never said Jones was better but...well, you think it.... despite the International record of both. Good for you. Loyalty travels far.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 May 2013, 9:17 pm

Here's the thing with Jones. He could take contact in defence and attack. It is a full contact sport after all lads. When Jones took it to the line you weren't think 'feck I hope this ball comes back' and when a big backrow came down his channel you weren't thinking 'best case scenario is this guy trips over our 10'. Besides that he could do everything O'Gara could with the boot, had a more robust running game and was the more creative player.

Yeah, Ireland were a much better team than Wales for much of the time those two were active internationally but the gulf would only have been widened if they were to swap places. If Jones had BOD outside him and the Irish pack in front of him from 2003 - 2007 the stats would read very differently.

As much as there have been and are some subjective and/or controversial calls on every Lions tour I've yet to meet any non-Irishman who would have called that one differently.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 18 May 2013, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 18 May 2013, 9:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:A line threat? As in crossing one? Back to the facts bluesman. But you don't care about them. You never said Jones was better but...well, you think it.... despite the International record of both. Good for you. Loyalty travels far.

Of course I have to beleive it, but then so did every coach ever to have the choice between them, which is an undisputable FACT is it not?

If I had to pick one in their hayday Jones wins out every time, if I had to select one based on career acheivements ROG wins out easily.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 18 May 2013, 9:19 pm

I'd say this will go on for 10 pages now! I'm just going to probably copy and paste my last post ad infinitum rather than bother to rephrase it endlessly. I hope thats cool! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 18 May 2013, 9:20 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Well Jones was clearly the more rounded player, better distributor, an actual line threat (until that fridge on his back got too big) and bigger boot.

It comes down to 100% of coaches who had a choice between the 2 selected Stephen Jones 100% of the time over ROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaun Edwards puts it well here:

Wasps head coach Shaun Edwards said: "That was a masterclass from an outstanding player. In those conditions, Ronan is one of the best, if not the best in the world.
"His variety of kicks and overall control of the game was superb. You can see why he is such a hero to the people of Munster ? a good example of someone who plays with his brains. 'I am a fully paid-up member of his fan club. If I hadn't been coaching Wasps, I'd have stood up and applauded him."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-509335/OGara-rains-Wasps-parade.html#ixzz2Tg44XvGn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat 18 May 2013, 9:23 pm

Actually, Notch - Jones was always getting turned over. That was one of his failing I'd say (I admire Jones actually and wouldn't be too critical of him).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 9:24 pm

Notch wrote:Here's the thing with Jones. He could take contact in defence and attack. It is a full contact sport after all lads. When Jones took it to the line you weren't think 'feck I hope this ball comes back'

When ROG was lining up an important placekick or drop goal you weren't thinking 'feck is this going over' either....

I've always been a big Jones fan, a really nice all round solid fly half, but he wasn't the big game player ROG was. His distribution wasn't as good as ROG's either.

Jones was the safer bet for the Lions due to his superior defence and physicality but it doesn't make him the better player.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 9:27 pm

Notch wrote:I'd say this will go on for 10 pages now! I'm just going to probably copy and paste my last post ad infinitum rather than bother to rephrase it endlessly. I hope thats cool! Smile

Good idea...I'll join you in just reposting my most pertinent one.

Everyone join in 'cause we're just never, nohow, noway ever going to be agreeing with each other - as we all know. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat 18 May 2013, 9:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Everyone join in 'cause we're just never, nohow, noway ever going to be agreeing with each other - as we all know. Wink

I disagree. Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 18 May 2013, 9:32 pm

.................... mad

I rescind my promise to Notch forthwith!!!! Blame rodders!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 20 May 2013, 8:02 am

Should make a great coach, his skill levels were always good, tactics for winning close games were some of the best.

Lets hope he hasn't fancy defence coaching ideas. Though that said , Shaun Edwards was never a great tackler and has been a well respected Defence Coach

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2