The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore

+16
John Bloody Wayne
azania
Diamond in the rough
RanjitPatel
hogey
Lumbering_Jack
TRUSSMAN66
Valero's Conscience
manos de piedra
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
PPVxHOTTY
TopHat24/7
captain carrantuohil
Adam D
mobilemaster8
20 posters

Go down

Who Next For Mayweather

The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_lcap11%The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 2 ]
The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_lcap5%The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_lcap37%The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_lcap5%The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_lcap37%The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 19

The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Empty The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore

Post by davidemore Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:13

People want Mayweather to fight Canelo. I'm sorry, but for me that fight only happens at 149 catchweight or 147. No way should Mayweather go up to 154, no way. He'd lose 20 plus pounds in weight advantage come fight night.

Roy Jones went up to HW, but no one gave him beef when he then chose to move back down?

No ducking here, Mayweather whips anyone at a fair weight. Anyone.

Here comes the poll:

davidemore

Back to top Go down

The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Empty Re: The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore

Post by davidemore Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:14

Devon is favorite but it could be Canelo.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore Empty Re: The Weight Issue: Let's Poll It Too #emore

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:25

Going with Devon......would like to see him fight Bradley or Garcia......two undefeated fighters on top of their game with proven track records and decent opponents.

Alvarez I wouldn't like to see just yet. Not proved himself or fought anyone of note so don't even know why he is mentioned. In fact, let's mention Chris John who is also undefeated and has been beating random chinks for the past decade in Asia.....he deserves a jump up in weight and shot because he is undefeated and amazing.

Right....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:28

davidemore wrote:People want Mayweather to fight Canelo. I'm sorry, but for me that fight only happens at 149 catchweight or 147. No way should Mayweather go up to 154, no way. He'd lose 20 plus pounds in weight advantage come fight night.

Roy Jones went up to HW, but no one gave him beef when he then chose to move back down?

Here comes the poll:

Then he should give up his belt.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:56

Adam is right. No-one forces people like Whitaker, Pacquiao or Mayweather to fight for titles at light-middleweight. You can always arrange non-title fights if you want to gerrymander weight stipulations. Perfectly simple - if you're fighting for a championship at 154, you come in at that weight. If you don't want to, abandon all pretence of being the "champion" at that weight. It means nothing about being the "best fighter", in any case.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:59

Went with Garcia as I don't like the kid and would love the master to thoroughly school him.

However, re the OP, the only fight I want to see Mayweather take and that proves anything or adds anything to his legacy is Canelo at 154.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Mon 20 May 2013 - 10:59

Mayweather fought De La Hoya and Cotto at LMW so why not Canelo?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:01

PPVxHOTTY wrote:Mayweather fought De La Hoya and Cotto at LMW so why not Canelo?

Too much risk? Cos it sure as hell ain't money..... (then again, Pac would've been the highest paying event in boxing history and he managed to let that one slip away...)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:06

Canelo is the only fight I want to see atm and its probably the least likely to happen given Floyd not wanting to lose his big showtime contract

Most likely is probabaly either Alexander or Chinny, and Floyd beats Alexander comfortably and knocks Chinny out inside 4 rounds

Feel sorry or the Americans who have to shell out $70 for Mayweatjer vs Khan/Alexnader as they'll probabaly feel short changed

Garica-Matthysse will happen on 7/9 so that rules them out and Martinez can't make 147 so if he fights him at 154 then that'll sow his excuses for not fighting Canelo are BS

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:07

TopHat24/7 wrote:
PPVxHOTTY wrote:Mayweather fought De La Hoya and Cotto at LMW so why not Canelo?

Too much risk? Cos it sure as hell ain't money..... (then again, Pac would've been the highest paying event in boxing history and he managed to let that one slip away...)

Pac fight didn't happen because of uncle Bob imo, but I still blame both of them for the fight not happening. It must be risk because on Mexico day 'May 4th' I can't think of anybody who generates more than Canelo for Floyd, can you?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:11

Which fight do I want to see? The one against Alvarez. Which fight do I think is the most likely to be next amongst those listed? The one against Alexander, sadly.

Matthysse and Garcia are bringing something to the table, but surely the order of the day has to be a fight between themselves next, to give us a definitive kingpin at 140? Whoever wins that becomes one hell of an opponent for Floyd at 147. But it'd be a shame for them to miss out on each other.

Khan isn't really viable right now, for me. Holds no world title, not in particularly good form, isn't coming off one of his better career wins etc. A complete non-starter.

Floyd's never seen Middleweight and Martinez would be wise to avoid going down to a catchweight of around 150-152 (which he's talked about as a way of trying to tempt Mayweather) after fighting at 160 for a relatively long while. Martinez, if he carries on, has a legitimate and proper showdown with Golovkin to occupy him, so no need for either man to entertain the other at all.

Bradley, who isn't listed, would be a very decent option but, business circumstances being what they are between Showtime / Golden Boy and HBO / Top Rank, you'd imagine that boxing politics will get in the way of that one.

Alvarez will likely stick to his guns and say that a fight between him and Mayweather happens at Light-Middle or a catchweight of about 151 or it doesn't happen at all, and as far as I'm concerned he's one hundred percent right to do so. I'm amazed that certain quarters are basically arguing that the two best Light-Middleweights in the world fighting at that weight would somehow be wrong! If Mayweather insists on staying at 147, then the Alvarez fight is dead in the water.

So, that pretty much leaves Alexander. He's a Welterweight, holds a title so it becomes a unification match up, is in reasonable enough form and isn't in any kind of position to make Floyd sweat at the negotiating table (or in the ring, for that matter). A very easy fight to make.

Devon it'll be, I'm sure.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:29

Mayweather can fight pretty much whoever he wants but in the context of being a boxer worthy to be consider amongst the best of all time I don’t really think the reasons for avoiding Alvarez wash. By demanding Alvarez fight at 147, he is essentially saying that he is too big a threat to fight at light middleweight and in essence picking and choosing who he fights at the weight. I cant see how it cant be viewed as avoiding Alvarez, so the question is, is it justified?

Maybe, in ordinary terms, given he would giving up a decent size advantage it would. But he isn’t being judged on regular standards. He is being judged on the very highest standards. So again in that context I just don’t see it as being a fight he should be entitled to ignore. If he really wants to cement a top ten place and deprive his critics of as much ammunition as possible then it’s a fight he should take.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:32

This is just the way im seeing it right now, Floyd should let Canelo come into the ring around 154 and 164 on fight night. That way Canelo can’t move around as fast. Imo, one of the keys to beat Floyd is to be just as fast and agile as he is, its much harder to hit a moving target. Ask Guerrero. So by Floyd wanting Canelo to come in much lighter it may actually back fire and help Canelo in the long run. Plus Canelo wont run out of gas during the later rounds if he’s lighter than usual.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 20 May 2013 - 11:56

I've gone for Khan for entertainment purposes only!

As others have said I think Alexander will get the fight but the Khan fight would be good to watch and I would like to see how Floyd handles Khan's speed in the early rounds. After that i'm sure Khan gets stopped but good fun!

Next year there will be good fights for Floyd with some 140ib'ers coming up with hype behind them.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:24

TopHat24/7 wrote:Went with Garcia as I don't like the kid and would love the master to thoroughly school him.

However, re the OP, the only fight I want to see Mayweather take and that proves anything or adds anything to his legacy is Canelo at 154.

If Alexander, Khan et al don't add anything to his legacy....

Using that criteria.....Please tell me any Louis wins that add anything to his legacy.....being that he's in the top 10 Alltime lists!!.......

No offence but If Mayweather has to BEAT the best all the time then.......If we are honest.......Duran has only two real wins of note and one of them he got trashed in the rematch.........Buchanan and Leonard!! (Will Dejesus be going on any lists above Hatton, Castillo,Oscar, Marquez etc).......Duran is in many top 5's.............He lost regularly too............

If you get kudos for being slammed out by the best...........Then let's have James Tillis in a Heavy top 10 list!!....He won't be because you get judged on who you beat.......rightly so!!

Duran a top 11/20 alltimer.......For sure........

Would Norris have killed Whittaker....Of course he would...........No one bemoans that fight not being made...WHY???? Because there were more great fighters around then and fights like this slipped under the radar....Hence Pernell didn't duck..Taylor took him on though at 150....

Is Whittaker a ducker...NOPE.....He used discretion just as anybody else is allowed to........apart from one Man.

Guys take a step back and you'd realise that Mayweather is doing nothing any of the guys didn't do...........

Hagler - Spinks.............
Robbo-Turpin 3............

I don't think Mayweather should fight Canelo..........

Because he won't get any credit for the win...

The dye is cast..........you don't like him...you won't rate him!!...

I'd like Floyd to retire now......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:30

If he retires, he'll only come back again...like Mosley!

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:42

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Went with Garcia as I don't like the kid and would love the master to thoroughly school him.

If Alexander, Khan et al don't add anything to his legacy....

Using that criteria.....Please tell me any Louis wins that add anything to his legacy.....being that he's in the top 10 Alltime lists!!.......

No offence but If Mayweather has to BEAT the best all the time then.......If we are honest.......Duran has only two real wins of note and one of them he got trashed in the rematch.........Buchanan and Leonard!! (Will Dejesus be going on any lists above Hatton, Castillo,Oscar, Marquez etc).......Duran is in many top 5's.............He lost regularly too............

If you get kudos for being slammed out by the best...........Then let's have James Tillis in a Heavy top 10 list!!....He won't be because you get judged on who you beat.......rightly so!!

Duran a top 11/20 alltimer.......For sure........

Would Norris have killed Whittaker....Of course he would...........No one bemoans that fight not being made...WHY???? Because there were more great fighters around then and fights like this slipped under the radar....Hence Pernell didn't duck..Taylor took him on though at 150....

Is Whittaker a ducker...NOPE.....He used discretion just as anybody else is allowed to........apart from one Man.

Guys take a step back and you'd realise that Mayweather is doing nothing any of the guys didn't do...........

Hagler - Spinks.............
Robbo-Turpin 3............

I don't think Mayweather should fight Canelo..........

Because he won't get any credit for the win...

The dye is cast..........you don't like him...you won't rate him!!...

I'd like Floyd to retire now......

Pahahahaha even when I’m not trying it’s too easy!! Broken Record

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:43

I'm not biting.. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:46

Let it go Trussy wussy, let it go..... nobody's judging you for creaming over your bedroom poster of Pretty Boy Floyd. Each to their own. Be content in yourself rather than 'releasing' your angst on here......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:56

No rebuttal.....Just this...from a moderator..

Please just leave it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:57

So Mayweather shouldn't his biggest challenger at a weight where he is champion because he is too good.

I get it.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:58

Guerrero was at 154..Leonard won Lalonds's 175 title never defended it!!

Moan about that..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 20 May 2013 - 12:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 20 May 2013 - 13:19

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Guerrero was at 154..Leonard won Lalonds's 175 title never defended it!!

Moan about that..

Which Guerrero? Cos his fight the other weak was at 147, was it not?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 20 May 2013 - 17:44

Mattysse might now be the fight Floyd look will look to take soon, the nature of the destruction of Peterson will have created increased interest and Floyd will see it as an easy nights work. I hope it happens because he is the one man that has a chance against anyone and one of those huge shots could bring even Floyds world tumbling down.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 20 May 2013 - 18:06

I'd prefer anyone to Alexander. Good boxer but boring.
I think it will be Garcia though. I know the Garcia, Mattysse fight makes sense but can just see that being more marketable than Alexander.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 20 May 2013 - 20:03

It's amazing that if floyd decided to unify all belts at WW he would be given no credit!

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 20 May 2013 - 20:08

Diamond in the rough wrote:It's amazing that if floyd decided to unify all belts at WW he would be given no credit!

The only way he will get the credit he deserves is if he beats Wlad. Some will say Langford was better though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013 - 20:57

He already gets cred as being the best of his generation, best boxer on the planet, highest earner and is by most people's estimation a top 20 of all time at worst. How is that not getting credit?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 20 May 2013 - 21:27

He doesn't get credit as he's the only boxer I the planet that if he was to unify the belts at WW he would be a ducker! Personally I think Alvarez needs to fight cotto first then fight mayweather next may! All this stuff about making him come down to 147 al hamon said was rubbish anyway!

If he beats Alvarez he will be ducking Garcia or mattysse winner next year

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 20 May 2013 - 22:22

It would take fans fickle even by the standards of boxing to prove your final line true.

In the divisions in which Floyd reigns as champion, Alvarez is the most worthy challenger, so people would prefer to see that fight. He also has a far more entertaining style than, say, Alexander.

I have no idea who holds belts at 147 right now, but really, who cares? It's not about belts anymore, it's about the names. From looking at wikki, Malignaggi, Chaves, Alexander and Bradley all hold belts. He'd have to beat at least two guys who have absolutely NO business being in the ring with him to unify the division, while there are better challenges elsewhere, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to be miffed at the P4P number one for facing Paulie instead of Alvarez or Garcia/Mathysse.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 21 May 2013 - 5:04

Bradley and Alexander are the Garcia and mattysse a few years ago lww 1and 2!
I agree should be alverez bit as its a super fight it won't be this year as golden boy will want to build it up more! But once he beats alverez who is left? I actually think they might even leave the alverez fight to be mayweather a last

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 21 May 2013 - 10:46

Adam D wrote:
davidemore wrote:People want Mayweather to fight Canelo. I'm sorry, but for me that fight only happens at 149 catchweight or 147. No way should Mayweather go up to 154, no way. He'd lose 20 plus pounds in weight advantage come fight night.

Here comes the poll:

Then he should give up his belt.

Yeah he should. And Canelo should give up the ghost.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Tue 21 May 2013 - 20:11

Diamond in the rough wrote:Bradley and Alexander are the Garcia and mattysse a few years ago lww 1and 2!
I agree should be alverez bit as its a super fight it won't be this year as golden boy will want to build it up more! But once he beats alverez who is left? I actually think they might even leave the alverez fight to be mayweather a last

Will be too late, Alvarez probably has one or two fights left at 154lbs. People asking for a catch weight are unlikely to get it as well.

No point in trying to hype the fight either by GBP. It's ready now, and will probably break all PPV records if it happens.

For those very reasons above, it won't. That's the only criticism that will ever be levelled at Floyd is that he didn't take on the big fights when the opportunity was present. E.g prime Cotto/ Pacquiao/ now Alvarez. It's probably what forces him out of many people's top 10 ATG rankings.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 22 May 2013 - 13:03

I think it will be Bradley myself. A fight which I see him winning with some to spare. That's not taking anything away from Mayweather I just think he's that good.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 22 May 2013 - 13:19

Bradley works for Arum which means it will NEVER EVER happen.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Wed 22 May 2013 - 14:07

The truth HURTS all those hating on Mayweather!! Mayweather would SCHOOL Alvarez. In the words of Clubber Lang – Mayweather should reject that challenge because IT IS no challenge. NONE! Some people on here accuse Floyd of ducking this chump?? Now PAY ATTENTION all you haters!
Alvarez will DUCK Mayweather. He will demand the fight at 154lb for starts. Don’t that hype job KNOW all roads lead to Mayweather? Maybe this kid is too young to understand the game. Maybe he thinks Golden Boy and his Mexican nuthugging hombres give him the right to dictate to Mayweather. But he better learn fast that Floyd is the DRAW. Floyd is the BEST. Floyd will SCHOOL him. Alvarez you aint beat sheeeet. You gotta EARN a shot at Mayweather instead of calling him out like a punk!

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Wed 22 May 2013 - 20:36

YDKSAB wrote:The truth HURTS all those hating on Mayweather!! Mayweather would SCHOOL Alvarez. In the words of Clubber Lang – Mayweather should reject that challenge because IT IS no challenge. NONE! Some people on here accuse Floyd of ducking this chump?? Now PAY ATTENTION all you haters!
Alvarez will DUCK Mayweather. He will demand the fight at 154lb for starts. Don’t that hype job KNOW all roads lead to Mayweather? Maybe this kid is too young to understand the game. Maybe he thinks Golden Boy and his Mexican nuthugging hombres give him the right to dictate to Mayweather. But he better learn fast that Floyd is the DRAW. Floyd is the BEST. Floyd will SCHOOL him. Alvarez you aint beat sheeeet. You gotta EARN a shot at Mayweather instead of calling him out like a punk!

So if Alvarez asks for fight at 154 its called ducking yet its ok for Mayweather to ask for fight at 147. So beating Trout hasn't earnt him the right to fight Mayweather? Also name me 1 fighter at 147/154 who generates more than Alvarez in a fight against Mayweather? How did Ortiz earn his shot? How did Cotto earn his shot?

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down